Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jonny 290 posted:

Are rear fogs really that vicious? Was thinking of hooking mine up.
Rear fog lights would be the only reason I'd own a BB gun so I could shoot them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Snowdens Secret posted:

That being said, if you run daytime running lights, you're endangering motorcyclists. The whole point of bikes running lights in the day is so that car drivers give them the extra attention they need (because they're smaller). When cars run DRLs, it desensitizes drivers, and further tends to make them think oncoming bikes are just cars with a light out.
That's a pretty long bow to draw, especially since it is law in EU nations to have DRL on all new cars.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thank God I don't live in a place where it snows.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It is surprising to see the number of P (Probationary) Plate drivers in Commodores that do stupid poo poo like this. It's also hilarious to see them rocking a Commodore Executive (aka fleet hack spec) with 20" rims that cost double the price of the car.

If I was going to do something with a Commodore, surely you should be aiming at a Berlina or Calais. At least they have some extra gear in it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Das Volk posted:

Just out of curiosity; did they close a lane of traffic to make that?

JBark posted:

And even worse than that, it's not a shoulder, it's a dedicated 2-way bike/pedestrian path:

From the looks of this top down photo of the intersection, no.

Some nice metal bollards (especially the ones that pop out of the ground) would fix that situation quickly

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PainterofCrap posted:

The emissions, however...

Biodegradable, within a week it is gone. And can be used on the garden.

Although some used sump oil is good on weeds

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SHUT UP ABOUT THE LEGALITIES OF THE LEXUS/BORDER PATROL CRASH

loving hell you lot can be more pedantic than the F1 Goons

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oh this one's a classic:

http://www.standard.net.au/story/2219242/i-just-dont-care-texting-p-plate-driver-hits-cyclist/

quote:

A P-PLATE driver who used her mobile phone behind the wheel 44 times before running down a cyclist near Koroit has been fined $4500 and lost her licence for nine months.

Kimberley Davis, 21, of Grant Street, Port Fairy, yesterday pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court to dangerous driving.

She was originally charged with 47 offences covering each time she had used her phone.

The cyclist suffered a spinal fracture which required surgery and placement in a spinal cage at Melbourne’s Austin Hospital. He was originally told he could be left a paraplegic and spent three months recovering.

He also suffered a broken big toe and lacerations to his head and body.

The court heard that the victim couldn’t believe that Davis rang triple-0 after the accident but refused to offer him help after she parked 100 metres up the road.

Even more stunning was Davis’ answers when interviewed by police two days after the accident and asked about using her phone.

“I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bullshit and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it,” she told a police officer.

“I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist.”

Davis had driven from a supermarket in east Warrnambool to just west of Koroit when she hit the cyclist at 7.20pm on September 20 last year on the Penshurst-Warrnambool Road.

The cyclist was on the edge of the road heading west when Davis hit him from behind, despite there being lights on the back and front of his bike.

Records showed Davis used her phone 44 times in her drive from east Warrnambool to Koroit, sending and receiving 22 text messages to seven different phones.

At 7.18pm she received a text message and 51 seconds later made the call to triple-0 after hitting the rider.

Magistrate John Lesser said there were issues surrounding the case of great community significance, especially drivers using mobile telephones.

He noted that Davis’ comments were poorly put when she was interviewed by police.

The wife of the bike rider was in court for the hearing yesterday and was deeply disappointed Davis did not lose her licence for longer.
Nice slap on the wrist fine and disqualification

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Driving to work today, and of course usual heavy traffic and one dude in the far right hand lane who wants to turn left. And of course he's left it to the last minute, about 50 metres from the intersection.

So he slows up the right hand lane to a crawl because the left lane is bumper to bumper and there's no room let him in. Cops a blast on the horn from the motorists in the right lane.

Then he cuts off a car in the left lane, cops a horn blast from that dude.

Then he pulls into the left hand turn lane, in front of me. Even though there was ample space, I felt like blowing the horn at him as well, cos you know, to keep continuity :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Geirskogul posted:

Phoenix uses the Robocop voice, then a machine gun noise when it's time to cross. I'm not joking

http://youtu.be/p28QONEGQe8

Some Australian pedestrian crossings have the machine gun effect as well, but don't have a countdown or a voice telling you to what to do.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CharlesM posted:

I don't know if this is a universal thing but around here lampposts are designed to break away like that, because of physics and all that.
In my state there is a huge mixture of power/light poles, ranging from the old wood ones, to concrete "insta-death" ones and the hallow aluminium ones that sit on a flange near the bottom and held on with four large bolts and nuts. There is an old farm road near my place which is now a main access road for large housing developments these days which has a number of wood and concrete power poles within a metre of that road scares the poo poo out of me.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Locator posted:

I see this sort of thing in dash videos from other places too, people just suck in general I think.

Watched a Russian video the other day where a woman was hit by a van and went airborne and landed in front of the car with the camera. Guy talks in Russian briefly then drives into the opposing lanes and accelerates off.

poo poo like that just amazes me and I see it quite often in dash videos.

I think the issue in Russia is that there are a number of people who walk into traffic on purpose to sue drivers, so I think most drivers there these days just keep on driving rather than deal with the hassle.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Willfrey posted:

Saw some content today. Note the tread marks.

They almost got it parked within the lines. Then again the Charger next to it has done an awful job as well.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

blk posted:

These are the people(?) Russians share the road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnsdc7cTPuU&t=35s
That is brilliant

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

Field goal attempt is good!

That's a pretty good version of the old "mistook the accelerator pedal for the brake" trick

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Public transit drivers are pretty variable. I used to have a regular guy on my route who got his 40 year accident free medal. He was courteous, gentle, smooth and had no trouble with snow or ice. We used to talk about fishing on the ride home.

Then he retired, and I got a new(er - I think like five years' exp) driver who was the exact opposite. Jerky controls, no looking ahead, rude to riders, etc. She put the bus over a curb and across an embankment almost into a valley one December morning just before Christmas after doing a 90 degree spinout on a two-lane road.

I think they're really just like any other driver.

e: Train drivers are even more variable, because I think hand controls are harder to be smooth with. Everyone who can drive knows how to modulate pedal pressure well but not everyone knows what wrist motion will equal to however many hundred horsepower of traction motor regeneration.

And then you have ex-SA Goon tram drivers being sacked for, well, not using their brains when it comes to work/social life separation:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...80496440d334b07

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

White Toyota. Probably an old who has confused the brake pedal with the accelerator

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InterceptorV8 posted:

I miss the open hood to fuel tank on my old VW Bug.

The Lamborghini Urraco and Silhouette had the fuel filler in the engine bay, so you had to lift up the engine cover to fill the car up :stonk:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Amazing how many Aussie males don't understand oversteer, considering how many RWD cars there are here

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

xzzy posted:

When I get mad at cyclists I take my frustration out in GTA 5. Every once in a while you'll see some bikers and I take special effort to run them over.

As long as it's just a video game I can't get in trouble. :colbert:

Shoot the cyclists with cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auTa7rfyOoE

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

`Nemesis posted:

Not sharing the road much anymore I guess

And to add insult to injury, the driver's door got bent around the wrong way

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Long Francesco posted:

I dunno if this has been posted before but here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ8WKscGo8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aULRhgG_Az8

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What a loving moron, deserved that accident. Lucky he didn't kill the road construction workers

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sudo Echo posted:

It's a Jeep Thing™

http://i.imgur.com/j6jIy6B.gifv

linked since nobody wants the 54mb gif version

Or the person had a stroke or blackout

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ozz81 posted:

Weight shift, high winds, bad driving...a number of things can cause it. Saw a tipped semi last spring near my job on the interstate during a super windy day - combination of a guy taking a looping on-ramp too fast and the wind catching it just right, sent it right on its side.

The road looks wet as well, which is a rare thing in the outback

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

They fight and bite
And fight and bite and fight

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And how!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wonder if the driver had a stroke or black out

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1000 points

2000 points

Damage Multiplier

MMMAXXXIMUM DAAAAAAMMMMAAAAAAGGGGEEEEE

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's a Mitsubishi Lancer two door. I think they were known as the Mirage in the US.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a work of art, and back on its wheels at the end

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kastein posted:

Today I saw an idiot on a pitch black highway hogging the left lane, and when I passed him on the right it turns out he had one working DRL and his foglights on instead of headlights. :eng99:

So many Commodore drivers in Australia used to do this a few years ago. Just put on their parking lights so they could have their fog/driving lights working. Thankfully the cops have come down hard on that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Platystemon posted:

Probably intended for off‐road use. Still a death trap.

The cut price Jurassic Park vehicle

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GOD IS BED posted:

Camera car should have braked, IMHO. No reason for an accident there, except ego.

e: gaaaahhhhh never look at the comments

Maybe the camera car didn't get a chance to do that, especially since the car merged without using their indicators

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

B4Ctom1 posted:

These are the guys you weld on the oil rig with

I must be missing something here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

xzzy posted:

reddit has some zingers today

Idiot for not having a proper frame on his ute to take roofing iron. Also for having a Chevy badge on his Commodore.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

To be fair to the cops, it was a Corsa

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I would've pulled up right against his/her rear bumper when he/she hit the bollards to stop them from moving.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Who lets it get below 1/4 :psyduck:?!

You all are loving INSANE.

Why leave yourself unprepared in that manner?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I drive a diesel car, 1/4 tank and I've still got 200 miles to go before empty :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powered Descent posted:

From the schadenfreude thread:

It's gotta be Russia.