Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

These are the Mustang owners you share a road with

https://twitter.com/DFWscanner/status/723916913756110849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Not my photo, I got it from Facebook:

I'm mostly curious how much time and money it would take to get the car back on the road.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

On my way home I was sitting at this intersection, exactly where the Google car was:

Some guy traveling from right to left blew the red light after the change, pretty blatantly - our light had turned green about the same time he entered the intersection. He was paying enough attention to realize something was wrong, because he hit the brakes a moment later.

He came to a stop about three feet behind where the red car is in the photo. Then, he backed up, all the way back, to behind the crosswalk where he was supposed to stop in the first place. :psyduck:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

nitrogen posted:

I got video of the most amazing thing.

There's a lovely merge from US75 to Ross street. There's a feeder road that goes parallel and people go rather fast, so there's a "yield to ramp" sign for exiting traffic.

I am pretty sure i'm going to get creamed at this offramp on my bike or in my car one day.

BUT NOT TODAY! People actually stopped at the yield. I have video proof of people being good drivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z0NiXX1SA8

I use a similar offramp from 635 to Abrams to get to work. Then I turn around on Abrams and take the opposite access road to get to my office, which includes the same yield setup. Mercifully they aren't terribly busy when I use them - but I think they're actually safer when the access roads are busy, because they tend to back up at the yield signs and it keeps speeds down coming up to the merge point.

I haven't witnessed an accident yet but it's only a matter of time, I'm sure.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/rsumm3/status/784930133735911424

I can't even tell what car that was :rip:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

These are the 19-year-olds you share a lake with

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I saw a black BMW X6 M this week with a custom license plate reading "EVOM"

Texas uses front-mounted license plates

honestly I don't think I've ever seen a personalized plate that didn't indicate the owner was an rear end in a top hat

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Platystemon posted:

It’s intended to spell “MOVE” in your rearview mirror.

Ironically, any driver who thinks this is cool is 95% likely to be tailgating you so close you can't read his front plate anyway.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

ATGATTYRFTP

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

This afternoon, northbound US75 in Plano:

Looks like the Lexus hit the truck while it was stopped on the shoulder. I could see from the southbound side that the roof was peeled back from more than half the cabin and I had a nice view of the passenger seats. Not sure how the black SUV ended up there but from what I saw it was smashed up too.

At least one fatality reported. Drive safe and hug your loved ones people. :rip:

edit to correct a slight geographical discrepancy

FBS fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 15, 2017

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

So tonight I realized I don't know how to quickly dial 911 through my car's Bluetooth system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyZtkKKUS4
(Watch the black Caliber that starts in the left lane and moves right..)

By the time I got to a safe place to stop off the highway, I figured other drivers further behind the accident with more time to react would have already called. I did loop around the surface streets a bit to see the emergency vehicles arrive before I went home. I've watched the video a dozen times and can't figure out exactly what the driver was reacting to and how they hosed up so hard.

Hopefully nobody was hurt too badly. :ohdear: It looked really loving scary in person.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://youtu.be/Ebs9ROCcV9U

:psypop:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

something something blind spots

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Sigma posted:

Might be a good time to show how most under ride bars don't really work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3G-kcKN70

Yeah well that's just what you get for not buying a Tahoe, for which they appear to work just fine :shrug:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I just noticed the blown side curtain airbag in the Infiniti.

I hope they caught those pricks

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Some knucklehead wedged his SUV between a box truck and the wall on the express lane and I've been stuck for nearly an hour. :v: Mobile link so I don't know how it looks on a desktop: http://maps.google.com/?q=Park+Central+Dr%2C+Dallas%2C+TX&ftid=0x864c2044ba590a8f:0xc33147df04c7577c&hl=en&gl=us

It's the eastbound Express Lane. No way to get around it and the first responders are taking their time getting the lane cleared. I'm sure they know what they're doing but I would have driven a tow truck the wrong way down the express lane and yanked the truck out of the way half an hour ago.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

You can take the driver out of the Mustang...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I generally have a lot of respect for truck drivers, but this guy seemed a bit inconsiderate.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Seems like an overreaction to knock the whole truck over just because it lost one tire.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Javid posted:

I'm just glad to be staying in town for thanksgiving. The extra patrols the cops do around holidays just turn holiday traffic into even more of a disaster

Oddly, I just finished ~900 miles coming back home today and saw exactly one traffic cop all day. Maybe they all got the day off if they hit their ticket quotas for the holidays. I made good time.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

These are the "Drive Like Your Family Lives Here" traffic safety awareness signs completely blocking the left turn lane's view of oncoming traffic you share a road with:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've never seen a five colour stoplight before. What's it for? Are some arrows?

Yep. From left to right it's Red, Yellow, Yellow Arrow, Green Arrow, Green.

You can still turn left on the solid green if there's no incoming traffic, unless, y'know, somebody puts a big sign in the way and you can't see :v:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Fermented Tinal posted:

What is this nonsense?

The City of Plano's website posted:

At a few locations in Plano, drivers are accustomed to seeing left turn signals where there is initially a green arrow followed by a yellow arrow, by a circular red. On the green arrow, drivers are given the right of way to complete left turns free of any other traffic conflicts. The yellow arrow warns drivers that the left turn signal is ending. On the circular red, left turns are not permitted. These types of arrows are helpful; but when there is no opposing traffic, they can cause unnecessary delays.

At many locations in the city, a different type of left turn signal has been implemented. Left turn signals provide the usual green arrow which is usually followed by the normal yellow arrow; but after the yellow arrow has terminated, drivers are now faced with a circular green signal. During the display of the circular green signal, left turns can be made when there are adequate gaps in opposing traffic to complete the turn safely. This helps minimize delay by allowing vehicles to turn after opposing traffic has cleared.

:eng101: My photo was in Dallas, not Plano, but the lights look the same.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I haven't seen such a blatant lack of awareness since about nine posts ago.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Today I saw somebody in a Sonota on a perfectly straight 30mph road drive into a curb hard enough to knock the bead loose and deflate their tire. The big puff of air was pretty cool but what a dumb way to ruin your own evening.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Probably. It happened about four seconds after they completed a u-turn ahead of me, so even by modern standards that's an impressively poor attention span.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I gotta say it looks like the Xterra handled that really well, I'm kind of impressed.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYimlrucN4s

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm glad I dont' share a continent with these things:
https://i.imgur.com/DY2QcYq.mp4

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Lucky me, Dallas cops are both clearly marked and too understaffed to deal with anything as unimportant as traffic violations

I've been here four and a half years and I've never seen someone pulled over for a traffic stop ('round where I live anyway)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

hot and fresh from the front of Reddit

https://i.imgur.com/l3S451G.gifv

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmwbCXMRsg

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Alkydere posted:

Twice in the last six months I've driven out of the parking lot at work after my shift (I work nights so I get off at 5 AM) and gotten a few blocks before realizing my headlights weren't on.

It's me, I'm the idiot who forgets to turn on his lights due to being in a bright parking lot with a car that has always-on dashbaord lighting. :negative:

I see you idiots so often in the metro area I hardly register you any more. But I still yet at you from inside my car.

TBH I wish there was a universal "TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON GODDAMMIT" signal. I try to cycle my own lights on and off when behind them but it hardly ever works.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Holy poo poo, that guy must have a death wish or something. I'm really impressed that the pickup managed to stop in time.

Good think it was a Ridgeline instead of a real truck and therefore could stop in time! :v:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

wrong topic

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 6, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/blogTO/status/1105818915849019392

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/arrreteca/status/1118192132890607616

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Gotta say your following distance is admirable, after five years driving in a major metro area I have gotten way more aggressive and it doesn't go away even in light traffic on slow roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Flint Ironstag posted:

Yeah.

A Hayabusa is a good bike, ruined by those who buy them.

When I decided my VFR was too boring, yet missing the power of the supersports I had spend my life on, I never even considered a Hayabusa. Thanks to the clientele of that bike.

plus, they're really loving ugly