Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Who wants to wager a guess as to where the snow is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No brakes. Smooth operator.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is one of those things were the gif starts way too late. Who knows who the instigator is. But we know who the defendant is :haw:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Low visibility + sudden ice is a hell of a combination. I've been in some pretty sketchy conditions thinking "oh so these are how pile ups happen"

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A quick google search puts manuals as 6.7% in 2010, 3.9% in 2013 in the US in new sales. I didn't verify this information, though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The only way I could afford to buy my 2015 WRX was by getting something no one else wanted. I managed to find one that was ordered but the financing fell through on it. It was a base model had been sitting on the lot for about two weeks in May of 2014, when the car was just hitting the dealerships and nearly impossible to find. Didn't have anything that I really wanted but I wouldn't have been able to buy a WRX any other way. There is used, but the used market for a 2014 at the time was hilarious. Dealers wanted something like $2000 off of the new price for stuff with 10,000-15,000 miles on it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Pilot induced oscillation. Wait, gently caress

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of brights. Passed a guy last night who had a loving 20 inch light bar in their bumper. I couldn't see poo poo until he passed. What a jackass.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

These are the people I share a parking lot with.

Check out the all new electric Chevy Blazer.

I've seen "alternative energy" parking spots before. Those are really dumb. Completely unenforceable and not really useful. Now the electric parking spots with charging stations, you should probably get tickets for parking in those if your car doesn't drink lightning.

Does that spot have a charger?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny, the left lane loitering can get so bad sometimes for me that the far right lane will easily be the fastest lane to be in. Trucks included. It'll be this way for dozens of miles. It's insane.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

B4Ctom1 posted:

Speaking of people you share the road with..

Get ready for some heart racing, cringeworthy driving, that looks like something out of a modern day version of the movie Bullitt (1968).. with sirens.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a9e_1459608103
What's protocol on something like that? I guess the government pays out on a claim for that? Was she doing anything objectively wrong? I don't really know much about collisions with emergency vehicles.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The crapfest that has been happening over the last few pages is why I exclusively mountain bike for exercise.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I yield for horses because the last thing I want to do is spook a horse and have it kill someone or injure itself.

Hikers, I just slow down a bunch and make sure they actually look at me before I pass. Usually a pleasant hello is enough instead of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ22qhe9qMU&t=11s

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 5, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

I didn't mean to imply that there are no exceptions, just that it's not specifically the double yellow that signifies no passing, but that each single yellow signifies no passing in each direction of travel.

You heard it here first folks, the space between the two yellow lines is a lane.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How long do you all wait behind someone at a green before honking? I actually had the presence of mind to count and I think about it at 3 seconds, and honk at 5. Time really does slow down at stop lights.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
But the guy/gal in front probably thinks it was you. I get looked at in the rear view every time.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

No but you see that parallel road is not as convenient as this 100km/h one, stop oppressing me!

Now guess what's wrong with this picture:

It's a mobility scooter, honest!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's an expectant mothers spot at my local supermarket. Someone ran over the sign a while ago so it just lays there in no mans land between two spaces. It's just a regular space now.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm new to living near a city. HOV lane jumpers are a fascinating thing :allears:

Jumping from the HOV lane into the passing lane of local traffic and cutting someone off doing 15mph faster than you is definitely something that couldn't possibly have consequences.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When I was in grade school I was always told to cross the street with my bike by walking across the crosswalk next to it. I'm not sure where the transition from doing that and you're supposed to behave like an automobile occurs. Is that just a thing they teach kids so they're not getting hit by cars?

No skin off my back, though. I haven't ridden a bicycle on the street in ages. I know the objectively correct one isn't always the one that survives when its car vs bicycle.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can only feel like adding the bike lane would lead to drivers passing on the right because this is that thread.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I saw something about narrowing traffic lanes to accommodate bike lanes which would serve the added benefit of being able to passively enforce speed limits. The only real downside is the lack of accommodation for trucks and commercial transport. However in cities like NYC, driving anything much larger than a small box truck is already impractical.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bro's gotta make some sweet go pro footy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PCOS Bill posted:

I saw 14 passes and the gorilla.

I saw 16 and a gorilla :crossarms:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I AM A GOOD PERSON BUDDY gently caress YOU.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's a very masochistic way of handling that.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm always willing to give the other driver the benefit of the doubt. Not because it's more likely that they weren't trying to be an rear end but it helps me keep my sanity.

Have you considered that he might have just been trying to get into a better lane to exit the highway when you suddenly started to match him as he tried to pass you? That would make me want to flip off another driver too.

No excuse for the phone, though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Fair enough. He shouldn't be in the passing lane less than two miles from his exit anyways.

I've got a good one. This morning I was on my way to work when a light down the road from me turned red in a 4 lane divided road. Theres a guy in front of me and the lane to the left is open so I go there so I have a clear lane when the light turns green. A guy in the left lane 100 or so feet behind me doesn't like this so he speeds up to try and block me out. Its too late and I get in anyways. We're sitting at the light with a car to my right and the mad guy behind me. The light turns green and I start to go. I go significantly quicker then the guy to my right so I can get over and let mad guy by. My right turn onto a highway on ramp is coming up so I need to get over anyways. The guy sitting behind me merges over and starts tailgating. I begin to accelerate to see if I can create a little room. He continues to match my speed all the way up to 58mph in a 35. The on ramp is here and this guy is also getting on. I decide this guy is a shithead and don't slow down for the cloverleaf on ramp whose recommended ramp speed is 25mph. I hit the corner hard and grip it but the guy behind me skids like crazy into the very forgiving shoulder. When he regained control he got back into the lane. This time he kept his distance into the highway. But still all mad, he decides to start undertaking everyone from the travel line out of sight.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 26, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was well past 1g when this guy thought he could keep up. He was driving an older SUV.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Any lesson where the guy doesn't die/ruin their life is a lesson well taught. We drat well know that nature isn't nearly as forgiving as people are.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Booourns posted:

Why brake check when you can just let off the throttle and coast, I find that pisses them off pretty good while not being dangerous

This is literally what I was taught in Drivers Ed.

This was assuming you couldn't get out of the lane or pull over.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Saw some guy in a tree with his hood smacked into his windshield. I was horrified but at the same time, it's extremely unlikely it wasn't an operator error.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't see it the first time either. Toward the end a guy up front passes the bus on the wrong side of the divider.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I nearly got hosed up last Saturday. I was heading into Hartford around 9:45PM when a guy just decides he didn't want to stop for red lights. Luckily I spotted him on the off-ramp before the intersection so I was already hovering over the brakes. He flew into the intersection at maybe 40 mph. He would have t-boned me at that speed as well if I hadn't braked hard.

I laid on the horn and he seemed to have gotten confused, like he thought he had a green. He did one of those meandering things once he panic braked where they don't know where they are going, sorta steering back and forth until he realized what happened. Why the hell does that happen? The last thing you want to do after running a light is sit in the middle of the intersection.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A 70 mile commute? Jesus.

I had a 30 mile commute once. I quit after 10 months. Since them none of my commutes have been more than five miles. I will move heaven and earth for that luxury.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And to bring it back around, spending less time having to deal with idiots driving has to have some sort of measurable value.

Actually it does, distance to work gets factored into your auto insurance. Exposure to stupid is costing you money.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Find the first one.

https://youtu.be/0rmBwCR1HVg

That could fit somewhere.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
3 and 9 is what race car drivers do and it is what I'll do. :colbert:.

But seriously the 8 and 4 feels completely unnatural and unsafe. You additionally are supposed to keep you hands cupped and not gripping the wheel. In other words your thumbs are to be on the outside of the wheel, not inside. This is specifically so you don't break your thumbs when the airbag rips you hands away from the wheel.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

Some Subarus have a thing like that, it's called hill holder. I haven't ever driven one with it though and am not exactly sure how it works. Some sort of a check valve that holds the regular breaks.

Mine sucks. It holds the car for about 5 seconds until you overcome it with the clutch, but I often find it engaging on flat surfaces and will often stall my car if I'm not expecting it to be on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can do that on my car. Plain ol cable brake. :shrug: