Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Eifert Posting posted:

So the company I'm working for now has a specific thing in their handbook that says that if you work on a claim and write a car off as a total you can't then buy the car.

It's amazing how much more clever people are when they are gaming a system then when they're creating the system.

What about family members?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cindy Shitbird posted:

That's a euro truck, though. We don't do that cab-over thing here much at all.

Replace them with air horns, then it would be cool.

Thankfully the LED bar lights haven't really caught on around in my neck of the woods. I have enough problems with idiots and hi-beams.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

`Nemesis posted:

Usually it's poor maintenance or a design defect causing a fire. I'm looking at you Ford.

For those unaware, they put an always powered switch in the brake master cylinder that would kick the cruise control off when you touched the brakes. Trouble was eventually the switch would fail and then could start a fire... even if the car had been sitting for days untouched in a parking lot. They had to do multiple recalls over multiple years,affecting over 14 million vehicles.

Sad to say, I have an Expedition in my driveway that I never bothered to take in for that recall. I've disconnected the cruise control plug from the master cylinder a couple years ago knowing the hazard.

The original fix was somewhat laughable. It involved a new switch that screws into MC and also has a fuseable link pigtail to go from that into the original harness. But at the time they didn't have parts in stock so they checked to see if the thing was leaking or not. If not, just do the pigtail.

Anyways, thanks for the reminder. While I can probably get it done for free the entire kit is $16 and saves me a trip to the dealer so I have it on my way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Michael Scott posted:

I never give people the finger. At most I'll give a thumbs up. I drive a lot by my neighborhood, park on the street, and I'm scared of someday a road user enemy that I've made will find my car on the street and key it. :(

Seems to go in spurts for me. I'll go nine months with relatively happy driving and everyone getting along. Then there will be a period where I'll have to deal with assholes all around me for three months that are riding my rear end or honking because I decide not to do a kamikaze dive pulling into the street when I can wait 2 more seconds for the few cars to clear. The latter gets the finger.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I need to invest in a dash cam that won't leave marks on the dash or the windshield. Could regale about what I saw but it was one of those "you just had to be there" moments. It is really a clusterfuck out there.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Edward IV posted:

Get a dash cam with a 1/4"-20 screw mount (which is a standard camera mounting feature) and you can use a clamp that grips your rearview mirror bracket.

In this particular arrangement, it does prevent me from easily putting on mirror placards (I have to take the owe cable out) but it's not like I use them at all.

This is what I used.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/239972-REG/Ultra_Clamp_Assembly

Probably could find something cheaper somewhere else.

Thanks...How did you handle the cable routing?

Now to contribute...

Granted, there are times I don't perfectly park. Nobody is perfect. This was at a gas station. Off to the right of the picture are the gas pumps so it was hanging out in the lane to the pumps.

It gave me a chuckle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Protocol7 posted:

Forgive the potato quality crop, as I took the picture while stopped and pretty far off, but, uh, just take a look:

This was at a gas station that's just up the hill to the right, and as I was leaving I saw a guy get out of this car and stumble up the hill. I'm pretty sure he was drunk. Yes, the car was parked and not running.

wtf is it with parking at gas stations?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sure Wish I'd Finished Training.

See What I Fuckup'ed Today.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Murphys Law posted:

Some people in my neighborhood really need to learn how stop signs work.

The other day I come up to a 4 way stop. I stop first, then the guy going the opposite direction from me stops second, and the guy to the right who wants to turn left onto my road stops third.
As I move my foot from my brake to the gas pedal and start moving through the intersection the guy going in the opposite direction, number 2, waves to the guy to my right, number 3, to go ahead.
Luckily, the guy to the right was either paying attention or does understand how stop signs work and didn't go.

Yeah, never did quite understand that. I roll up to a stop sign, guy to my right on the other street was clearly stopped first and should have the right away. Then you get into a standoff with the inching forward thing.

Fortunately it mostly solved itself. Anytime you see a minivan at a four way stop, look out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The t-bone lottery was one of those things I yelled about the most teaching my kids how to drive. Never trust a turn signal...especially if the gas station you are pulling out of has a Burger King entrance twenty feet from it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

NoWake posted:

It's been been a thing around my section of the state where people park at the doors of the big-box grocery store instead of the actual loving parking lot. It clogs up the roadway passing the doors, and makes it hard to spot people leaving the store about to cross the roadway. They just pop out from behind those parked cars/vans/trucks.

Last douchebag family I saw, watched a lady park her van at the curb, get out walk into the store. I did my shopping, paid and walked out to see her getting done loading her van right where she'd parked it, leaving the cart in the road, then get into the drivers' seat and drive away. The whole while her husband and kids sat in the van waiting for her.

Really what the gently caress, people? If you can't walk far distances, park in the handicap spots. If you can't walk 20 feet to park in an actual spot, why are you then getting out to walk around a store the size of a neighborhood?

One of my pet peeves is seeing a shopping cart where the user of said cart couldn't be bothered to push it another 10 feet into a cart corral. After of course walking 5 miles around a 120,000 sq ft store.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Since when do school busses provide door to door service?

When I was a kid we had to walk about 1/2 a mile to the bus stop. (Up hill both ways in the snow)

On my daily route to my ex-job, I would get stuck behind a bus and I knew it would always stop at a certain house. The driveway was probably 100 feet long but mom would be there in her minivan with her kid in it. After kid boarded the bus she would back up the 100 feet to the garage. 50% of the time she would get out and talk to the bus driver. Or play a loving game of Canasta because that seemed like how long it loving took.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Poor thing is probably retarded.
The kid is probably pretty dumb too.

I wonder what user name he posts with on this fine forum board.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Eh, just might be pent up angst over the thousands of miles driven the few days before and encountering assholes that race up the other lane to merge when they had warning two miles before.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

um excuse me posted:

divergingdiamond.com is potentially the most autistic site I've ever seen. And I know about the cloud appreciation society. Thanks for that.

I always sigh in relief when there is someone in front of me on a diverging double interchange at a stop light.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

PCOS Bill posted:

Remember, lights timed for 35 are also timed for 140

Every German car driver knows this. Except the VW folks minus Porsche.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I find it great when semis travel in the middle lane when driving through a city with a crapload of exits.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Geoj posted:

You may have missed the part where I stated that I drive faster than most other traffic on the road. Law enforcement here gives you 10 over the posted limit on a limited access highway before even thinking about pulling you over, so that's what I typically average. The only people faster than me are ones who blatantly disregard the speed limit and emergency vehicles. In addition, I mentioned if traffic conditions warrant it I'll move into the right lane so I won't be a rolling roadblock. This rarely happens.

I think you'll find that like most AI regulars I'm not the person you need to be worried about when it comes to hogging lanes. I'm either going to pass you as quickly as possible before moving right again, or else if you're going faster than me I'll gladly let you by so you can be ticket bait.

I like the amount of irony in this post. It was quite blatant.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or not. It mostly seems to work, except for everyone losing their goddamn mind at the southbound exit for 50/99/Cap city.

My original post meant no sarcasm at all.

You have a triple lane interstate going through a city. Normal folks can work around semi's in the middle lane. People merging appreciate it not having to deal with a train of 53' trailers.

But CA is different. A trucker will probably get a ticket in this situation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Car was a rental. Guy coulda been from anywhere.

Don't destroy the narrative.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm still debating on what pisses me off the most. Trucks or minivans.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I miss my '95 SHO 5 speed. That was fun.

Edit: Just to add, it had about the most glorious intake manifold in existence. They shoehorned that thing in with Vaseline.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

bigbillystyle posted:

I had a '91 with the 5 speed. That thing was awesome. Later I got a '97 with the tiny V8 in it. That one was cool too, a little more luxury than sport but still got the job done even it was an auto.

Too bad about cam failures on that one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Michael Scott posted:

An oldie but a goodie, this is in Chicago. In the full video you can hear terrible scrapes as the tow arms crunch the rear bumper.

It's Chicago. Cheaper to find a bumper than the fine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Longer the boat is on fire the less money he loses in the end.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

NoWake posted:

They really need to face that type of car seat towards the rear. :(

There are quite a few buggy accidents/deaths around here. The big stores close to my house have Amish parking for their horsies.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Not a year goes by, NOT A YEAR, where I don't hear about some accident where a buggy horse gets spooked and goes through a windshield or darts out into traffic and fucks poo poo up, or kicks some poor fucker and breaks his legs. Working in the OR with trauma surgery I see a ton of Amish guys getting hurt falling off silos and roofs and whatnot but the horses are definitely dangerous. You never know when a buggy with seven Amish kids will just leap out into the road and wreak havoc.

If their horses drank as much booze as they do they'd be much more relaxed.

Standing behind the Amish at a liquor store and listening to the itemized bill at the counter will take a few minutes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Elsa posted:

I don't even know what's real anymore

Pretty much how I approach driving in this day and age.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

This happened in my neck of the woods.

http://wane.com/2017/06/14/driver-to-avoid-prison-for-142-mph-fatal-crash/

Even say you were traveling 70 in a 50, getting rear ended at 142 (and then plowed underneath a semi and dragged for a few hundred extra feet for good measure...) I honestly can't believe how the person who did that to you could survive at those speeds.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Speaking of motorcycles and Nextdoor, someone complained about crotch rockets tearing through their neighborhood. Anyways, apparently the "leader" of this group was also on Nextdoor and this resulted in a bunch of back and forth and name calling between a number of people. He wanted to meet people in person, not to hide behind the internet and said he would handle the situation with his brethren.

Reading all that I felt like I was watching a Sons of Anarchy episode where Jax would want a sit down with some poor mom who drives a Camry.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

A lot of times I find it quicker to take the stairs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

iospace posted:

On the opposite end, I've seen people fly down freshly chipsealed roads when they are supposed to be taking it slow.

Ah, I remember the olden days where we'd dump used motor oil on gravel roads to create our own version of chip n' seal.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bonus points: When my dad (and hundreds others) did it the location was next to a lake.

Roads had so much oil on them he'd comment about hanging his arm out the window and getting oil on it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

If it were car tennis, owner should be able to serve again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

buttcrackmenace posted:

Saudi Drift attempt gone (predictably) wrong ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-8CsawAAXw

volume warning : there is a bit of shouting

Hopefully the air freshner survived. Looked like a violent ride like the bald guy with a speedboat a couple years back.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Protocol7 posted:

edit: Also, this:

Props to the guy in reverse. I don't think could pull that one out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Protocol7 posted:

I love people who drive in the shoulder to get around one car in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Congrats, now you're one car ahead, and still stuck going 5MPH like the rest of us. Oh, and now everyone knows you're a dick.

My favorite is with a 2 lane interstate.

Left lane is tied up by a semi or something slow for at least a mile with a string a vehicles behind it but the left lane is cruising just slightly faster than the right.

Guy behind you moves over to right pass you and everyone else but gets held up by slower right lane. Then a parade of cars with no gaps slowly passes him as he loses ten spots.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I pass on the right when the left lane's clogged frequently, the difference is I scope out both lanes to be sure I'll be able to make enough progress that it's worth it, and that I've got a decent chance of being able to get back over. Basically if you want to maintain a speed of 75-80 mph in the left lane you have to constantly pass folks on the right, because the number of left lane hogs doing 70 around here is ridiculous.

Yep, no problem with that. Fairly easy to scan ahead to see if you can pull it off...but alas not many have situational awareness.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

monsterzero posted:

In my experience this never happens. It's always a case that people towards the back of that left lane train merge right, then fly right up to the bumper of the rolling obstruction and then force their way back into the left lane, causing the person they cut-off to brake. Then someone further back in the train goes "why are these people so slow, I'll pass on the right!" and a little more of me dies inside.

Yeah, understandable. You have to form a "tight knit caravan" over the course of 10-20 miles to get a feel on how on how everyone else drives and how they feel about everyone else. If everyone is in sync, then good things happen to douchebags and spreading possible fines across said party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

monsterzero posted:

I5 from the Grapevine to 580 is literally what I was writing about. At least it gets reasonable once you're past Sacramento, until you start sharing the rose with Oregonians.

No, there is no hope. Only pain.

The wild west.