Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Smoke posted:

Sobriety tests are standard fare here in case of accidents that require police on-scene(I had to take one too) Dash cam purchase is planned for sometime in the near future so I can share the true horror that is driving in Belgium on a daily basis, along with the wonderful quality of the roads.

Is that still true? Nearly 40-years ago when my family lived in Switzerland, we'd go on holiday somewhere and my father had nothing good to say about Belgian drivers. Especially through the alpine passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yup, and it's .10-.25 cheaper in NJ than it is right across the river in Philadelphia, too. PA adds more in taxes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BLARGHLE posted:

Part of the lower price in NJ is from all of the refineries and tank farms stinking up the place. I dated a cute math teacher from jersey for a while. She was almost patently incapable of pumping her own gas in md and va- I either had to do it myself or hold her hand through the process every time. I was equally uncomfortable getting gas when visiting her, as I wanted to body check the attendants every time they started yelling at me for touching the pumps.

There are a ton of refineries in and around Philadelphia as well; yet, it's .20 more a gallon right across the bridges. I live between three refineries, yet the gas is cheaper in Wildwood (at the shore) than it is by my house.

I moved to NJ from PA/DC/MD so I have always pumped my own gas; I too marvel at NJ denizens who don't even know where the gas goes. They will occasionally back off & let me pump my own when I fill the '66 Pontiac.

Michael Scott posted:

I hope this doesn't turn into a long debate. But what's the rationale behind the 'Engine Off' rule?

Sparks from the exhaust, sparking bleed-off from poorly-shielded or worn plug wires, static electricity buildup on the chassis/body to name three off the bat.

There are a ton of ways a running automobile can spark a fire; even with capture systems, fumes leak. Occasionally, cars get overfilled or pump shutoffs fail or aren't calibrated correctly, or someone inexpertly fills a gas can. I pumped gas a lot as a kid, and I would not pump a drop until the engine was off, because it takes next to nothing to ignite gas fumes.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 23, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Work has me traveling the Boulevard quite a bit. It is a nasty stretch of road. I also take it to get to my mom's house; my wife medicates before that trip.

One of the worst fatal car accidents I investigated happened there, when newlyweds were rear-ended by a drunk driver while sitting at a red light, and were trapped in the car while it burned.

Just about every tree is scarred.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kastein posted:

holy loving poo poo, what the hell happened in here?

I figured someone watched an octogenarian in a dumptruck with no lights on drive over a bus full of schoolchildren, but nope!

Actually, you nailed it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

leica posted:

Why do you need to signal when you're in a left turn lane waiting for a green arrow? There's no point, really.

Same reason you signal when no one's around: Habit. Plus, as previously stated, the one you don't see is the one that'll get you.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'd love a perfect word where we can all follow the 2-second rule for spacing. That world may exist somewhere in space & time.

When I attempt it I am constantly reminded of an anecdote passed along by my mother, when she was a young bride & riding in the backseat of my grandfather's 1960 T-Bird, in Houston.

Gramps was going about 80 & tailgating. Nervous, she frequently asked him to back off.

Gramps said it wouldn't make any difference.

She was adamant.

He finally humoured her & hit the brakes.

<schwoop> car pulls right in front of him.

"See, Nance? They're all nuts here."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DeusExMachinima posted:

So what's with motorcyclists dying lots more in cities than car drivers do? Is that the cars' fault and I can't do anything about it if I get a cycle or are cyclists idiots or both?

Population density of drivers who learned on cars and are clueless about motorcycles.

I learned to drive in France in the 70s,on a motorcycle. Most everyone started out on a moped or motorcycle; the driving age for the former was 14; you had to be 18 to drive a car - so most spent four years on 2-wheels before transitioning to a car. It appears to have informed most drivers with motorcycle sensibilities; in the two years I drove there, I never had a close call with a car.

Driving in the dense East coast, I'd never try driving a motorcycle here. It's suicide. Maybe out west - I have a cousin in Wyoming, and the photos he sends back makes it look like a dream out there.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 19, 2014

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gorillian Dollars posted:

I figured texting on your phone, using a tablet or doing something other than driving in a car was unsafe, this will revolutionize the way people crash into eachother:

"-Designed to be used in a vehicle's steering wheel (when turned upside down), this work surface is an ergonomic work solution for tablets or writing

- Increase efficiency and comfortability by creating a forward working solution that is ergonomic and simple to use

- Manufactured with a durable powder coated wood material, it is lightweight and smooth, making it comfortable to write on

- Intended to mount on the steering wheel in seconds and can be stowed between the seats, creating a quick and safe solution for the mobile worker

- Developed for the mobile worker on the road needing support for their tablet or a great place to write
"

I still have one of these; it came with the desk that belts into the passenger seat (which I still use) it was designed to be use when parked ONLY.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

xzzy posted:

Drivers were really bad at avoiding bodies of water in those days, huh?

The fencing & barriers were built to guide people & horses & such with some basic sense of situational awareness while being mobile within the momentum boundaries of their biology...self-propelled vehicles changed that dynamic entirely, both in terms of mass & momentum, both of which overcame those flimsy fences, and led to a whole new discipline of traffic engineering. We now have break-away light poles & fireplugs, and those photos show why they came to be.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FogHelmut posted:

People like to use this cloverleaf as a u-turn. They don't signal and it's hard to tell what their intentions are despite them not accelerating past 30 mph.

Sup South Jersey. Just merging onto 70 westbound from 295 North during rush hour is a joy to behold.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Crotch Fruit posted:

That is technically a single car garage, this guy deserves a medal for getting those cars in there.

Where there's a will, there's a way

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PT6A posted:

Why is the brake pedal on an auto different from on a manual? Why isn't there just nothing (or perhaps a dead pedal) where the clutch would go? It's not like you need the brake pedal to be twice as wide, and indeed it only motivates poor driving habits in 95% of cases.

I've definitely made the same mistake a few times, and I've been known to reach for the phantom gearshift too.

Not sure, but here's a 1966 Pontiac manual,

...and automatic:

Design thing. The two-foot panic thing is as good a reason as any.

VVV Leg strength is a thing during a panic stop. I bent one of those pedals in half while hitting a car head-on that left-turned me. Didn't stop soon enough...but then again, nothing could have.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 23, 2014

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chinatown posted:

The low gearing helps on rough terrain. Also you can pet it.

The emissions, however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

El Jebus posted:

I was pulled over with out a front plate in Oregon (and a license with my old address, and I was pulled over just as I parked in my driveway) and the cop wrote me a ticket but said if I fixed them he would suggest it be thrown out on the court date. So naturally I fixed them. Now I keep the front plate in the passenger area and if they ask I just tell them the mounting bracket broke and I haven't bought a new one yet. Not sure how long that is going to work considering the condition of the back plate gets worse and worse and the front plate looks like it has never been on.

Put the pristine plate on the back & keep the rear plate in the car.