Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Nodoze posted:

A turning only lane isn't a lane you use to get next to someone and floor it to get ahead of them when the light turns green

This is Philadelphia, son -- who waits for a green light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Solar Coaster posted:

So the original poster of the video had more online that he quickly took down. But, as is the case, someone snagged them and put them on LiveLeak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1380579664

You can see them lanesplitting and driving on the sidewalk with pedestrians on it.

I honestly don't understand what the hell gets into people sometimes. I speed. I admit it. I also slow the hell down in residential areas, and ALL the way down in school zones. I stop fully at stop signs. I don't cut across the double yellow when they turned it sharper than they should have for the turn. I can't fathom taking a motorcycle on a sidewalk or surrounding an SUV just to be a dick.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Maybe a stupid question, but I've noticed that the LED floods in my basement have a sight delay to turn on compared to the incandescents. Is there any delay issue with brake light LEDs?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I just ordered two of these yesterday -- one for me and one for my friend as a Christmas gift. Perfect for him, since some asshat backed into his CTS-V wagon and drove off, leaving the front end pretty jacked up. I had considered something a little smaller, but the review and the feature set on the Panorama II just looked a lot better.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I once found this behind my apartment building:

Now that took a special kind of driver. The woman who owned the car had it back on the road the next day -- there was basically no damage to the vehicle.

Unfortunately, I can't find my picture of the time that a girl managed to stick her SUV on a porch wall six feet up in the air, the SUV literally on top of and balanced on the wall, with a column in front of and behind it. She was drunk and hit a curb, knocked over a street light, vaulted up a small hill through bushes to become airborne, struck the far column and then settled back on top of the wall. It was unreal. Oh, and her parents not only got her off of the DUI charges but managed to convince someone to find the homeowner liable for the damage to the house.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Don't be that guy. Someone turned left in front of my dad tonight and he hit them on his motorcycle. They couldn't see his Goldwing or neon yellow riding jacket or pulsing headlights

Is he okay? I've seen way too many horror stories from people turning in front of motorcycles or opening car doors blindly. I remember one guy from medical school who dislocated one knee, shattered the other femur ... and we found loving lung cancer on his chest CT.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

th vwls hv scpd posted:

He woke up this morning. He has a fractured tibia right below his knee, a couple of fractured ribs and a little road rash on his right knee, shin and top of his foot. I'm very thankful he is doing well so far.

He started to wake up this morning and let the nurse know he was hurting a bit. They had him moving his fingers and toes so I'm hoping he is going to be OK soon.
Jesus, that sounds like a hell of a scare. I'm sure he enjoys riding and all, but for your sake I hope he decides to hang it up. Cars just aren't cognizant of cyclists (of any type, really), and the results can be utterly disastrous.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Just had some guy aggressively tailgate me at 55 mph because I had the gall to honk when he took a foot out of my lane on a curve when I was beside him. It's amazing how much of the idiocy clears up the moment you leave Philadelphia County. Seriously, if you can't keep your car inside the lines, get a smaller car, drive slower, or better yet just don't drive at all.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

That is how everyone drives there. It is completely retarded. Everyone crosses over the line on the inside of curves.

Oh, don't I know it. Lincoln Drive can be a horror show due to skinny lanes, lots of curves, and no appreciable shoulder. You just have to try to stagger with the other lane, because people just refuse to stay between the lines.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Ugh. There's an rear end in a top hat in an grey older Toyota SUV of some sort whose 6AM commute matches mine for about eight miles or so from Allegheny up Henry in Philadelphia. He tailgates, cuts people off, hops between lanes aggressively and persistently eases over the line then decides nope, gonna just be an rear end in a top hat in this lane for a bit NOPE LET'S SWERVE OVER. He's almost lost control while cutting me off in the wet (and then when I passed him again later he tailgated me, flicked his lights and gesticulated wildly), he's halfway through intersections before the light turns, and yesterday he just drove on the shoulder around everybody through a red light. I want so badly for him to get nailed doing something dangerous and illegal just so that maybe, just maybe, he reins it in a bit and I don't have to deal with a loving lunatic on my route multiple times per week.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Well, he does cross into Montgomery Country for a bit, they might do something about it. Philadelphia ... probably not so much.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

I have never in my life seen someone pulled over by a cop in Philadelphia.

I've gotten pulled over twice on my way to work. Once for a legitimate reason (my front headlight was out) and once no reason was given. Both stops ended when they saw my scrubs and ID, so I didn't press the guy the second time around to find out what the purpose was. Though it's largely urban legend that cops will hand out cards to Make Things Go Away, once when I helped one out he did give me card and say, "Just in case you need something," so I keep that on me in case I'm ever in a situation where I need to see if it DOES work.

I see people pulled over fairly frequently, but it's usually by a LOT of cops, so I'm guessing it's for something a but more egregious than "I rolled a stop sign."

Also often seen on my drive home, though not over the last few months: a black M5 with the license plate "GUILT E" -- I'm kind of curious of what, other than being in possession of a kinda stupid personalized plate.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I have been in Rome since Thursday. Holy crap, are the drivers terrifying. My friend just drove down here from Germany, and apparently his trip in was the automotive equivalent of descending into Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm glad you were in a place with decent response. In Philadelphia the cops often don't show up at all, and other times they drop off the driver in our emergency department and don't arrest or file charges.