Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't notice much activity or intrusion out of the abs on snow/ice/loose surfaces at all. Which is funny because Subaru got a bunch of complaints about the abs not working on snow and loose surfaces after the wrx came out. Until I experience it first hand I'm going to keep blaming it on too much speed on inappropriate tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Speed limits make a lot more sense if you figure they have to be calculated for the lowest common denominator, which is going to be some tired mid-'60s landboat with worn bias-plys and drum brakes and a driver who probably should've had their license pulled during the Bush 1 presidency.

They are actually supposed to be the natural speed of the 85th percentile. And by "natural speed" I mean how fast people would drive if there was no posted limit.

The no speed limit thing worked well here in Montana. No one really drove faster than 80-85 on the interstates during the day and fatal accidents decreased during that period, mostly because people had better lane courtesy. These days Texas and Utah have 80mph limits on some sections of highway. I love that section of 15 in utah. You can pretty much get away with going 90.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 12, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

pkells posted:

If you're in the middle of three lanes with the left lane completely open and someone tries to pass you on the right, ehh, I can see doing this. It's obviously safer just to let him pass and forget about it, but I'd be lying if I said if I've never done this. But if you're in the far left lane already, gently caress you.

If I'm driving along in the right lane and you're sitting there in the middle lane I'm generally not going to bother changing over two lanes just to go by.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The trick is to go up there at night. We would go thursdays after the west la meet and not see anyone else. Weekends are a clusterfuck.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Reminds me of the time I saw this:

Guy got out of his car, looked at the mess, got back in the car, drove away.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

My car is pretty low and I always change the oil on the ground, so I have to reach under blindly to change the filter. One time the gasket stuck to the block and blew out immediately after starting the car. That was fun to clean up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I did that once when I had just received my learner's permit. Did a sweet reverse burnout off a curb in my uncle's new truck but figured out the problem pretty much immediately and didn't even come close to hitting anything.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I didn't even have to take a test at the dmv because I took driver's ed and passing that was considered the same as passing the dmv test, except you got your license a year earlier. So I had a full license with no restrictions at 15 in a state with no speed limits on the highways. It's probably a good thing my parents didn't have fast cars.

I did have to take another written test to get my CA license but it took like 5 min and I got 100. What blew my mind that there was a dude there trying to get a commercial license, and if you fail the test three times you have to wait a few months before trying it again. He was arguing that since he didn't fail the same test three times (he had also failed the test for a standard DL), that he should not have to wait. And there were a bunch of people trying to cheat, which doesn't work so well when there are a dozen different tests.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That yellow gtr was an illegal "stage registered" import, and was impounded and crushed last year.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Uh, no. Johnny Tran owns that car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm not a child so I don't ride on sidewalks or paths.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Naw man, just do it and let us know how it works out.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

xzzy posted:

I saw a police cruiser in tank commander mode this morning. Way to set an example, dude!

Last I saw of him he was turning onto a highway, no hazard there at all nosiree. :bravo:

I saw something like that today.

I'm driving down the highway, coming up on a car, no oncoming traffic, so I'm speeding up a bit getting ready to pass him. Whole back of the car is coated in snow so you can't see the tailights, through the rear window, license plate, or anything. As I get closer I notice a spotlight above the driver's mirror and decide against blowing by him at 15 over. Just as soon as I touch the brakes and match speed he slows down and makes a left turn. I cannot see the brake lights or turn signal. And it's a sheriff. Had I gone ahead with the pass I think there's a pretty good chance we would have had a huge accident.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That is one problem I don't have because the guy I'm passing doesn't usually notice until I am going 20-30mph faster than he is. The other day I did have a car appear to accelerate as I was going by which kind of annoyed me but it didn't really matter because I was nearing the top of 4th. The trick is to hang back a little and get a run as a possible passing opportunity comes up. Although on a mountain road in montana it is more of a necessity because you never have much space or visibility.

I was pleasantly surprised to have a bait car the other day. Some guy in an Audi was in a big hurry to get by me and then didn't drive any faster than I was going, but got lucky with passing lanes and built a slight gap. Then he pulled into a small town gas station a half an hour later.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cleaned out my storage unit last week and found my hella supertones. They might have to get installed again. I had a van start changing lanes into me one time and he ended up a lane over in the other direction after I hit the horn.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

EightBit posted:

Is this the boiling point at sea level? Liquid cooled engines are usually pressurized, which would raise the boiling point even further.

In a really hot environment, you want to use 50/50 because anti-freeze has a lower specific heat than water, and too much of it will reduce the effectiveness of the cooling jacket.

Yes, all at atmospheric pressure at sea level. I suppose I could add some more lines to the graph. with a 15psi cap the boiling point of straight water goes up to about 250f.

In a really hot environment you could even use less than 50% coolant. The downside is that you lose some of your anti-corrosion and lubricating properties.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I think it's part of the consumer reports survey.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Why would you let that happen when you can just speed up 2mph and avoid the whole potentially dangerous situation?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

To contribute, some jackass in a bro truck came over the white line into the bike lane and passed me by inches today apparently just to be a dick.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

They give out front plate tickets at lax. I found that out dropping off a friend in his car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

I agree. The van is also in the intersection first, so they're in control of it regardless of the light.

Oh ok so if I turn left in front of someone and they hit me, it's their fault because I was in the intersection first.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If everyone waits until the end of the merge lane, then traffic is going basically the same speed in both lanes and you don't get those guys you hate so much speeding past everyone down to the end of the merge cutting in front of you. Instead you get two lines of cars taking turns going into one lane.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

By the time the light turned green this guy had crept forward all the way past the crosswalk. At this particular light, the sensor in the road is really short, so if you are not right on the stop line it doesn't ever change. I've had to get out of my car to tell people to pull up to the line after we a;; sat through two cycles.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cage posted:

I also like when theres a long line of cars stopped, the first car pulls forward a foot or so and then all the cars behind him move forward like a caterpillar. Whats the point? When I stop my car stays stopped. No, car behind me, inching towards my bumper isnt going to make me move forward unless the gap is at least a cars length.

heh, automatic driving sheeples am i right :smug:

Well in this case, if I had not pulled forward up to the line the light would never have changed green. Also, sometimes it can let a car into a left turn lane or through the end of an intersection if traffic is backed up. How frustrating is it when the entrance to the turn lane is partially blocked off by some car sitting there with 15 feet of space in front of them so you can't get in and miss the green arrow?

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 27, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've noticed a ton of people who don't know how to operate their headlights lately. Drove across town last night and probably saw 5 cars with just the parking lights on. And since when do people think it's acceptable to leave on the high beams because it's a divided interstate? Guess what- it's still bright and annoying. Probably the same people who think they're necessary to drive down a residential street at 25mph.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well yeah. The problem I see if that it also turns on the instrument cluster lights so if you are driving down a well lit road it's easy to not realize the headlights aren't on. I can remember two times where I've gone to the parking lights while waiting for someone in a parking lot and then started driving down the street before I remembered my headlights were off.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

This, this motherfucker right there:

Why yes let me just puff along this narrow single-lane road when there's a perfectly fine bike path right loving there :argh:

I never ride on paths because they meander and end and go through crosswalks and are filled with children and pets and people not paying attention to their surroundings. If I'm going somewhere or riding fast it's way better to just be in the street.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm not sure if you realize this, but bicycles are considered vehicles and are supposed to be ridden on the road, and in a lot of places it is illegal to be on the sidewalk.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I always come to a complete stop in my car. That moment just as it's about to stop is the best time to shift into 1st, especially with a transmission with over 200k miles. Roll through them on the bike though if I don't have to wait for oncoming traffic.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

kastein posted:

You realize here in america, his example (bike on a no-shoulder highway running at 70mph, AKA an interstate) would be illegal for the bicyclist, right? Have you ever read those signs on interstate on-ramps that say "no bikes, horses, or pedestrians"? Try it sometime, it might teach you something.

Unless there is a sign specifically prohibiting it (like you see on freeway ramps in cities), you can ride on the interstate and I've done it plenty of times. Where I am (Montana), there is literally no other choice in many cases. Interstates have very nice shoulders with plenty of room so I didn't mind it at all and you generally don't have to go more than a few miles before you can get on another side road. Even in southern california, if you want to ride between LA and San Diego, you can go through camp pendleton certain hours of the day, but outside of that you have to ride on I-5.

A few weeks ago I rode about 75mi on this highway:

70mph speed limit in places, lots of people hauling boats, but it's still a pretty popular route for bike tourists and I didn't have any problems short of one guy who blared on the horn as he passed even though we were in a town, so the speed limit was like 35, there was a shoulder, the road was straight, and there wasn't even any oncoming traffic so he could have given me a whole lane worth of space with no inconvenience.

The one thing I don't get is how all bikes seem lumped together as one group who are all the same, or not viewed as another person just trying to go somewhere. There are lovely cyclists just like there are lovely drivers. At least the lovely cyclist isn't piloting 6000lbs of suv at 70mph while posting on facebook. Or 80000lbs of truck while trying to coordinate truckstop handjobs on grindr.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 27, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Sometimes it's hard to pull out a phone and take video while riding a bike and trying not to get killed. Here's a fun one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 27, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Haha, I had the page scrolled all the way to the bottom and thought it was a picture of mr tank commander there. Then scrolled up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

It's not my fault that my truck has a progressive shake anytime it goes over 50. (96 Ford F250 with structural rust.)

Yeah, it is your fault for not maintaining your vehicle well enough to drive down a highway at the speed limit.

I would love it if licensing and inspections were much more thorough, but that would require an actual public transportation system. The nearest bus stop from me is like 4 miles away for example.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

General_Failure posted:

How do the two relate?

Pick a few random places within 50-100 miles of yourself and then figure out how to get there without a car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Have you considered not getting so worked up about a bike in the bike lane?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well, just like we only see the drivers that are doing dumb poo poo, you also only see the cyclists doing dumb poo poo. The thing about cyclists being retarded is that they're probably only going to hurt themselves, unlike a person in a car who can easily kill a whole bunch of people through a few seconds of not paying attention.

So maybe don't get so upset by having to slow down for a guy on a bike and instead worry about the person checking Facebook while piloting a 5000lb SUV through traffic.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The thing about coasting/rolling up slowly to a light or leaving a big gap and not rolling forward to a reasonable distance is that it does more than just annoy the people who want to hurry up and wait. Usually it will block people from getting into a turn lane or make them miss the arrow or get someone stuck in an intersection. All those things slow traffic down for everyone even if you aren't doing anything wrong or it's technically someone else's fault.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, low car plus everyone else is in a truck/suv makes it seem like they all have high beams on.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you don't suck at driving you won't roll back at all either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Fucknag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsG_8TVokw

yeah look at this rear end in a top hat destroying his car he should have taken off immediately with his nearly-solid gearbox oil and nonfunctioning gauges

If I lived where it was that cold I would probably have a battery warmer plus warming pads on the transmission case plus a remote start.

When it's below 20f or so my car makes funny noises and doesn't like to shift until it's warmed up a bit. Yesterday we had a high of 12 (-11c).