Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Phanatic posted:

That's exactly efficient. An IC engine's running at its most efficient when the throttle is wide open and the engine is ingesting all the fuel and air it can handle. A small undersized engine that needs to redline to drive on the highway is more efficient than a big oversized engine that can do it while burbling along at 2000rpm.

For the engine efficiency graphs that I've seen the peak efficiency is at about 2/3 of full throttle and around max torque RPM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

xergm posted:

I could see it, if you basically ignore all other aspects of a car besides just the engine. Aerodynamics play a big part in efficieny.

I definitely get better mileage if I cruise at 55 versus 75 because that extra 20mph results in a hell of a lot more load on the engine.

We are talking about two different kind of efficiencies. You are talking about "travel" efficiency, how to drive the longest distance compared to the amount of fuel burned. The other kind is engine efficiency, how to produce the most power compared to the fuel burned. An engine producing 100 kW power while burning 100 grams of fuel per minute is more efficient than an engine producing 50 kW while burning 80 grams of fuel, but the 100 kW engine would actually burn more fuel.

Engine efficiency isn't often that relevant. It's often overshadowed by other things affecting efficiency and it's quite hard to run an engine at peak efficiency. There aren't many cars that can do 200 km/h at 3000 RPM and partial throttle. It would have most signifigance with hybrids where the small engine is just charging the battery.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ripoff posted:

Regarding light bars - I see loving minivans running light bars here in Georgia now, the most recent one today sporting a lovely US-license-plate-sized install that was aimed upward towards traffic from a mount on the front bumper. As I'm riding in a bitch car for pussy men (Mini Cooper) and I'm not sitting 6 feet off the ground like everyone else on the road, I got treated to an eye full of light bar on the way home.

I'm surprised that seems so unusual. My sister bought a new Toyota Avensis station wagon and had a pair of LED lights installed on the dealership. Of course they only work with high beams, but at least they can be improved since high beams are mediocre on almost all cars. Extra high beams are almost standard feature in northern Finland.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The Locator posted:

I saw the LED light bar taken to a new level this morning.

Semi truck driving West on I-10 had a full width bar mounted on the leading edge of the top... of the trailer. Guess blinding drivers on normal roads wasn't enough so he figured out how to blind oncoming traffic on the interstate even when there is a fairly tall concrete divider. Well done douchebag, well done.

Again something that doesn't sound unusual. Bunch of high beams on top of semitruck cabin is a standard feature.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It's for when you have the car full of bodybuilders and the trunk full of their kettlebells. They might not be as necessary with trailer, since 80 kg is the maximum allowed tongue weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp#Headlamp_leveling_systems

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

A coworker got busted for 160[kph] in 90 yesterday and is facing license suspension. I mean I drive like an rear end in a top hat sometimes too and the conditions were as good to do something like this as they can be, but jeez you don't get to complain when caught pulling something like this.

A friend's brother did something similar and got his license suspended. IIRC, he used the traffix statistics from the road administration to prove that at that time there was so few traffic that he couldn't be "endangering other traffic" and got his license back.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

What's the reasoning again for why it sucks to have major repairs done to a new car, as opposed to major repairs done to an older car?

In addition to reasons mentioned I believe it's also drat difficult to repair a modern car to factory good condition. With all the crumble zones and body made of high strength steels with complex contruction.

I remember seeing pictures of a repaired B-pillar that had bent. After the repair the pillar looked as good as new, but when you cut open the pillar you would find a second pillar underneath made of HSS and that pillar had broken in two when the outer pillar was being straightened. You would not want to crash a car with that kind of repair. How would you even repair it? You would need to peel off the outer steel to get access to the inner pillar and who has the knowledge to properly weld high strength steel?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

But then the cities around here also do some rather unconventional roundabout stuff, too, like these two circles at a highway interchange.

I can somewhat understand the people dreading the arrival of their first roundabout. I've been driving through them since I had license, so they are nothing to me. But it was quite a weird feeling eperiencing those "double teardrop" junctions for the first time a couple years ago. "Why is this roundabout missing the round?". Funnily, Google doesn't know how to deal with those either, they show up as roundabouts in map view.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

A guy I know (in America) bought himself a right-hand-drive classic Mini. The first thing he did was build a fake steering wheel for the left side, and teach his four-year-old daughter to say "Is there a problem, Officer?"

I've read about few cases of people importing japanese cars like Skylines and Stageas and converting them to LHD because RHD cars weren't allowed in Finland before EU. And now that I googled about it I find there's actual conversion kits available.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

dee eight posted:

There's a trick I used on my old '67 chev called 'battery bootstrapping'. Weak battery, cold weather, turn the headlights on for 3 seconds before you crank it. It seems counter-intuitive, but it worked.

Maybe that warmed up the battery a bit. They sell battery heaters for cold weather use. You consume the battery power to heat up the battery so that the battery would have more power to crank your engine. And apparently it works!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Crossposting from the Star Citizen thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcsW48HHXM

I wish someone would interview one of these cases, to try to figure out what is their problem. Are they just incapable of perceiving the world around them, or unable to figure which direction the car will turn while backing. Whenever the video has a clip of the driver walking they don't seem to be drunk, at least.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I used to run a package car operation for UPS and the most certainly have GPS in the vehicles tied to their DIADs which can provide directions to their next stop.

UPS even has a special routing algorithm that avoids left turns.

The Science Behind Why UPS Trucks Avoid Making Left Turns

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Mandatory re-testing over 65 please.

Whew, good thing my license is valid until I'm 70.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Just a bit more speed and better aim and he could have made it on top of the tunnel.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

um excuse me posted:

This is why hatches aren't the second coming some people treat them as. All the additional space you get in a hatch over a sedan is in space that affects visibility.

That's not really any different from station wagons, SUVs or pickups. Either the stuff you are hauling fits below the window level, or it will obstruct the rear view. A hatch back has practically the same space as station wagon under the window level.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

How about putting a thick plastidip or some other coating on the bumpers to protect them. I can also imagine the wailing about ugly bumpers if there were new 5mph regulation, even if the ugliness was unrelated to the rules.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's gotten to the point they are getting to high for goosenecks. You know let's alienate the people that use their truck for actual truck purposes.

Pickup truck lowering kits for those who actually need to use it for work.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

In some newer cars, the rear wiper comes on automatically if the front wipers are on and you put it in reverse. Could be like that.

You can drop the "newer", my 2002 model Saab does that.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I don't think there is a problem with DRLs, as long as there is an automatic that turns on the low beams when it gets darker. And if the rear lights also turn on with DRLs. I think there are some car models that come with a custom software when imported to Finland or other Nordic countries, that turns on the rear lights with DRLs. But this has required that the car magazines make noise about it for the import companies to try to negotiate it with the manufacturer.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

You don't really appreciate a roundabout until one is taken away. There was always a roundabout on the intersection when leaving work, but currently it's under construction for a tram line and has been converted to a standard intersection. The main street has enough of a traffic to make it a grieve to find a spot to charge through. On a roundabout I only had to worry about the cars coming from the left, and even during high traffic there would soon be someone turning towards my street to create a suitable gap. A large enough and well designed roundabout is more like a tricky merge lane than an intersection.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

Yeah this is due to "the gig economy" and not an irresponsible moron not keeping their 4000 lb death machine safe.

Yeah, the gig economy is not the cause for this problem, but it can make the issue worse since they now have need to be on the road more. On the other hand, this may reduce the problem if someone happens to ask them how much revenue they would lose because of this and get them to think about maintenance downtimes.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I could imagine someone borrowing a Tesla from friend and said friend not thinking they have to explain what a Tesla is.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It wouldn't have been save to stop. The windshield may withstand whatever the attacker is using to smack it, but the side windows definitely wouldn't. If he had stopped the guy would have been inside the cabin in seconds. The swerwing might be unnecessary and criminal endangerment, but on the other hand if he had driven straight that guy just might have been able to climb to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

wolrah posted:

As always, the posted speed limit and the natural speed of the road don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. If the speed limit is that widely ignored then that's a pretty strong case for it being set inappropriately low.

There are other reasons for speed limits beside the natural speed. For example noise and the housing around the road.