Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

While traveling to work I witnessed a Fire truck with lights and sirens on held up by an extremely old woman in some small car, driving about 10mph in the far left lane. It took her about 20 seconds to change out of that lane so the firetruck could pass her.

While traveling home from work I witnessed a police car with lights and sirens on held up by a car, again in the far left lane going about 5mph this time. The cop car was bumper to bumper with them for about 10 seconds before they shone their alley light directly into the car and still had sirens on full blast. About 20 seconds later the car had rolled its way into an intersection, and the cop was shouting through his PA system "MOVE OUT THE WAY. MOVE OVER TO THE RIGHT", so the driver complied, and took a left turn through the intersection with (fortunately stopped) oncoming traffic to allow the cop to carry on to his destination.

Amazing. I really need a Go Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Satellit3 posted:

Runners are often taught that the road is much softer and more forgiving on one's joints when compared to a concrete sidewalk. That said, you have to draw the line somewhere...

In LA the sidewalks are often absolutely wrecked thanks to tree roots causing slabs to form 6"+ cracks and all sorts of terrible terrain which you simply can't see at night. This is the only reason I run in the roads and only on empty residential streets. I usually run onto the pavement if I see a car coming.

Then again there are enough actual places to go running around here that you don't see too many joggers in the streets in general. Novice cyclists on wobbly beach cruisers with no hands on the handlebars next to 45mph traffic on the other hand... :eng99:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

These are the people you share a lane with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t1qDi5xwMU

The video is boring but this moron was consistently loitering inside the right lane. Almost hit the truck at one point and then almost hit me when I overtook them.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Chinatown posted:

The worst is the "fuel efficient vehicles only" in front of Whole Foods. I enjoy parking in those when I can. I mean my car IS more efficient than a truck so I guess I'm ok?

Its basically everything wrong with Whole Foods summed up.

In front of Ralphs they moved all of the handicapped spots 20ft further away to make room for the "electric charging spots" so all the do-gooder yuppies can park as close as gently caress to the doors as possible while the cripples have to crawl twice the distance.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Isn't it more so they can run the power cabling to them cheaper?

Maybe, but it doesnt really seem very fair to anyone else. Other spots they eradicated were 10-minute parking spots so people could run in and pick up some eggs and get out, without parking much further away.

Now I'm curious, how much charge do Volts and priuses get in a typical 30-40 minute supermarket stay?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

10min parking seems pretty stupid, does anyone actually enforce it? Unless they have an employee standing out there with a stop watch and a tow truck on speed dial that is just begging to be abused. I also hate "expectant mother parking" because that is even more difficult to enforce, and last I checked walking is actually kinda good for pregnant women.

I doubt it was enforced but I saw people using it as intended more often than not, usually with someone bored waiting in the car for them.

Now that they don't exist, I've seen more cases of people who think putting their car in "park" is the same as "parking", near some spots but not in them, while their passenger runs in to get something. It's really loving annoying blocking an entire "lane" in a car park aisle. Usually crazy people with disgusting rape vans I don't want to get into a shouting match with.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Here is a video of me driving to work today. Some of you may know about this, but I sure didn't know it was a thing until now.

It requires audio, keep it medium-volume, not too quiet, not too loud, to get the full experience of just how jarring this was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi6QuNhdd9E

It shocked me and I looked around wondering :wtc: had just happened, and then I was just bemused for a while.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think it was some crazy joke horn?

Yep. Something I've apparently just learned about.

sleepy.eyes posted:

I don't see it, what was that?

My exact thought at the time first thing in the morning. It was super loud and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary anywhere around me.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Vanagoon posted:

Sometimes the crosswalks will make animal noises. The ones in downtown Nashville make cuckoo clock noises.

Sorry for the PDF but this is the only thing I could find.

http://www.mallory-sonalert.com/Articles/TechArticles/Audible%20Signal%20Devices%20for%20Pedestrial%20Crosswalks.pdf

I think the point of this is to help low vision/blind people know when it's safe to cross.

The crosswalks around me in LA do bird chirps to walk. Some close to where I live also speak to you in a horrifying Robocop voice. "WAIT", they demand. "CROSS VENICE NOW", they order.

The sounds I recorded came from a car though, since they followed me down the street for a mile.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I've been flipped off for waiting to turn into my own parking structure because I saw a motorcycle was lane splitting and didn't want to cut him off. The car waited for me to turn through their lane but I wasnt quick enough so they flipped me off. Eventually when I made the turn I simply stopped in their lane and it terrified them enough to speed off around me through the wrong lane. Until they hit a red light 70ft down the road.

I had a dashcam but it's hard to see into someone else's car with it, you can but it's hard. I should've parked and simply walked over to them to ask them why they hate me so much. :shobon:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

As soon as I got back into town yesterday, I had someone change lanes in the middle of an intersection almost hit me, and then honk at me and flip out because they thought I was the one that changed lanes. I flipped her off because of her ridiculous behavior, but what really annoys me is that she still probably doesn't understand she was the one at fault there.

If there are 3 non-turning lanes and you start at the leftmost lane and end at the middle lane, you are not doing intersections properly (especially if you're the only one doing it).

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I try to stick to overtaking/going faster in the left lanes (my Jeep is certainly not the fastest on the road so I got no problem sticking to middle lane areas), but I have no problem overtaking on an inside lane (CA) if it happens.

The thing that pisses me off is when it comes to single lane highway sections through mountains. There are occasional 2-lane overtake zones so a normal vehicle can overtake trucks/haulers etc. instead of going 30-55 the entire way. These sections are usually straight sections for safe overtaking. The problem is these idiots in their topheavy minibuses or hauling lovely trailers suddenly realize they can go 75mph in a straight line! Great so now I run out of room overtaking several cars going fast in a straight line and have to sit behind them for another 10 miles doing 35mph around every single corner.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I hate this prick.

One day I might actually share an area of CA road with him :ohdear:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Topical video of a douche in a truck throwing poo poo and rolling coal on a random cyclist: http://youtu.be/2HlZXCWha6Q?t=30s

I don't bike and even I would like to break both the Dodge occupant's femurs and leave them down a mine in rain season.

I also hate cyclists who have a shocking disregard of safety and road smarts. Difference is I wouldn't have to leave them down a mine.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

He claims it was the third time they gave him some carbon free tax, but don't see the videos from that.

Wonder what started it all.

Here is all the internet has been told:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oc-cyclist-gatorade-bottle-road-rage-charges-20140708-story.html posted:

Orange County sheriff's investigators have reviewed Bryan Larsen's video (warning: cyclist utters a profanity) and recommended charges be filed against him and the truck passenger, the department's spokesman Lt. Jeff Hallock said.
The passenger may face assault and battery charges, while Larsen (the cyclist) could be looking at being charged with "words in public likely to illicit a violent reaction," Hallock said.

Nothing about the driver veering close across the divider to the cycling lane or "rolling coal" or anything. Charging the cyclist for swearing at the truck trying to make him crash? :lol:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

Lucky he didn't get a ticket for riding and using his cellphone.

OCSD must've had a call about a homeless man to murder, they don't got time for no tickets.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This happens to me pretty frequently around here and it pisses me off to no end. I'm in a pretty big Jeep so I can persuade people not to ram into me head on usually, but this twat didnt even look at me after I honked. Mr license plate LPJX8O went through half of my lane, had I not slowed down a lot he would've easily hit me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn90aAmbbso

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

While looking at your phone at a red light might not be particularly dangerous, in my experience of :catstare:ing down into people's cars, they do not suddenly put the phone away as soon as traffic starts moving again. They just have to finish reading that last bit of text, which leads them to driving over the lines, completely the wrong speed, and not reacting to traffic conditions at all until they get off the loving thing. I don't have sympathy for people pulled over for being on their phone at lights because if you are not disciplined enough to ignore it at a red light you are not disciplined to ignore it once traffic starts moving again.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Well it almost happened again. Another idiot who can't see a bright white huge jeep with lights on and decides to want to merge into a wheel the size of their door.

This one also ran a red light and crawled through the intersection at about 2mph. He is literally in the middle of the intersection for ~9 seconds after we got a green light. I held the horn down for a while to account for his non stop loving up. I wish I could walk behind him for the rest of the evening holding a foghorn down near his head so everyone knows when this rear end in a top hat is nearby and can steer clear.
My windscreen is dirty which is why everything's hazy looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ81Dx84lpI

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

It wasn't my intention to lane block him, I was simply speeding up after the incredibly slow intersection scenario. I waited until I knew he wasn't going to just drift into my lane like he had drifted through the intersection, I sped up, and then he did end up suddenly coming into my lane. Notice how even with my lights shining into his passenger window and a horn going off 2ft away from him he didn't do any correction to his merge at all? I laid on the horn because I was pretty fed up at this point (and to let him know I was there).

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Another redlight runner spotted today. This guy was completely oblivious to the light and probably on autopilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wrQjRj_gIU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

The Locator posted:

I sure wish the police would pull over and ticket people who do that poo poo, it's not like it's hard to spot them.

Pretty sure 99% of cops will pull someone over for blinding other drivers and themselves. They can probably pick and choose which law to do it under too, its super dangerous. I'm amazed it still isn't illegal to roll coal on someone though.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ijustam posted:

People do get pulled over for coal rolling. This guy got pulled over by a mounted police officer, at that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0dDzPyrtE

:lol: pulled over by a horse. What a oval office.

What annoys me along with the fact that they try and push black smoke into convertibles/cyclists/pedestrians on purpose, is the fact that the only time they can do that is by flooring it in really slow traffic. Even without a coal tune, if you're sharply accelerating and stopping in bumper to bumper traffic in a small town street you're driving like a oval office to begin with.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Powershift posted:

it's quite possible the horn fuse was gone and the alarm was going off.

I've seen some old woman slowly exit a multi story carpark and drive off down the street with their entire car alarm going off 110%. I don't think people care.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Christ I need to keep my CB on all the time this poo poo is gold.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

go3 posted:

If a herd of bro dozers ran through them and everyone died it'd be perfect

Look, unless you have watched this entire documentary about why bro dozers are cool and living free, then shut up ok? You must bow down to them, every other answer is ignorant and wrong.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

“It’s a longer walk. To me, I don’t see why the fence is there, but I do like the lights,”

If you ever reach the age of 55 you may still not understand why the fence is there, but you will at least be 55. You don't even have to thank society for it. You still probably wont reach 55 though you loving idiot.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Latest in everyone's favorite zipper merge news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfOcagYJfE

Cammer cheering on the fact that someone dangerously blocked another car from using a lane just because there is roadwork up ahead and he didn't "queue politely" or some loving poo poo.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I'm not a fan of the way the cammer decides to park up and block the lane just so he can act important and be the 20th person to arrive and gawk at the scene while being probably the 45th person to dial 911. Move on, you're wearing a suit and don't have any first aid on you to help anybody with, you are just being a burden.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

nm posted:

If I was the bus driver I'd be pretty happy that an actual eyewitness with a camera stopped. Depending on the laws there, evidence that dude was on the street, not the sidewalk and moving a pretty good clip could save him money, his job, and his license. Maybe his freedom.
If you witness a serious accident, make sure you are known because most of the time uninvolved witnesses are few and far between.

The Locator posted:

The law here states that if you witness an accident with injuries (I forget the exact wording) it's actually a crime to leave the scene. In this case not only did he witness it, but has actual video of the entire thing, I think it would be pathetic if he had left the scene without giving that information and his statement to the police. So he's 15 minutes late to whatever he's going to, and people have to actually pay a little bit of attention while going around his parked car, not a big deal.

Both good points on the camera footage being useful to everyone involved (although busses p.much always have cameras on them but one more can't hurt). For some reason the footage didn't even come into my mind, heh.

My main gripe is mostly that everyone who is nearby runs up to the accident and all dial 911 at the same time (usually with someone also yelling "DIAL 9-1-1!" in the background) and then just uselessly standing there 3ft away from a mangled body on the ground. If you count the people running across the roads to go stand near the accident it's like 15+ people and then everyone who's on the bus about to get off, then you have a giant crowd of people, most of which aren't even witnesses, just filming some guy on the ground. Not sure why it bothers me but it does.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Instead of helping.

99.5% of them couldn't help if they tried. If anything they'd interfere and make things worse for the guy or get in the way of others who can help. This is why I don't understand their need to drop everything at once and rush over and Do Nothing.

If it's to stand over him and lecture him about road rules and cyclists not paying "road tax", etc. while he writhes his broken nublets in agony under the crushing weight of a filthy bus It would probably be worth it though.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

dissss posted:

After I got off the bus last night I just about got run over by an SUV driving down the footpath to jump a row of traffic. Pretty sure they never saw me either.

You need to start carrying those "stop a douchebag" stickers on you.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

disclaimer: bad driving by me but I don't care, I just wanted to piss them off. (I'm the people you share a road with)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utPbn4-_Gyw

1440p mini 0806 video. The lens is a bit blurry for my liking, so I'd suggest not to get the 0806 but otherwise decent camera.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

It's generally just that Culver city is weird and has islands between lanes everywhere. The roads split several times and there are a bunch of traffic lights for no reason (timed terribly).

That intersection I go through (where I have to turn from the 2nd lane into the first and then scoot across 3 lanes within 100ft) also times its lights so a green turning left (opposite direction than im going in) overlaps the pedestrian sign so people awkwardly get caught in the middle there as pedestrians step out. It happens all over that area. Whoever designed the roads there probably loving hated the place and wanted everyone to be miserable.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

nsaP posted:

This is holier than thou bullshit when you are equally at fault. That guy went into his lane early, his bad.

You crossed 3 lanes to enter a turn lane in the space of like 20 feet...your bad. The difference is that his seems to be a mistake.

If we hit we would be equally at fault (because I didn't slow down -thats all), that's why I said the disclaimer :D The guy didn't go into "his" lane early, there is no lane for him. There are double yellows which he crossed. I passed a stopped bus in the turn/bus/bike lane (it's all 3) which is my bad, but unrelated to the guy being in my lane. I crossed 3 lanes just about within the boundaries given by the road markings (watch where the solid white lines are, I don't cross any and only just make it). I also know that there is no other merging traffic (due to lights) there when I have the green since I take this trip every day for work. I do also check mirrors and shoulder check though.

I'm not holier than thou, I literally said we're equally terrible and I posted a video which is on topic for this thread. Not sure who you're arguing with (or why).

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

We were at lunch there in that Culver area (at the Public School gastropub thing just down the road) and there was the faintest fender bender of all time. Despite eating outside, right next to the road we didn't even hear it, just noticed that 2 cars had touched across the road and everyone got out. Literally no damage. They stayed in that position blocking a turn lane in the intersection and a through lane for 45 minutes on their phones calling the insurance/etc. Nobody came. They ended up driving away after almost an hour of blocking 2 lanes despite us drunkenly yelling at them to get out of the road from our table. It's amazing because that area is usually saturated by the (terrible) Culver P.D. who arrest and ticket for everything they can. The area is full of very important bad drivers.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Very simple one today, car (legal but daft) was in my lane overtaking a cyclist as I was pulling onto the road. My vision (and hers I guess) was blocked by stupid giant SUVs and vans parked on the road. Definitely caught me off guard first thing in the morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMJr-73FELo

[edit] as an aside: can people with huge cars and vans and trucks NOT park right next to driveways and corners please? You almost cause so many accidents.

tuna fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 18, 2015

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Powershift posted:

You're right,. she should have predicted that you were going to pull out onto the road without looking both ways. What a oval office, you should have honked your horn at her.

Im right about what? I didn't say anything that you could respond to, besides parking huge cars next to driveways.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

poo poo. . . I think it's strange to see reverse parking in a driveway (I dislike reverse parking in general) but that street must really suck to live on. At least form the video, it didn't look like Tuna was just flooring his jeep out onto the road, it's not the worst driving I have seen.

Its legal for her to overtake. Like I said viz was bad and I did enter the road slowly. I think what happened was mid-overtake she saw my nose poking out and decided to floor it to complete the overtake rather than slow down. No biggie, just uploaded it because it was the first thing I saw while coming into contact with the road and shocked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

dee eight posted:

I forget what piece of road, maybe broadway in NYC, or some famed road in europe, but the street was laid out to make enough space for a six horse wagon team to make a U turn. Wherever it is, somebody in the 18th century was doing some proper thinking.

Isnt that all major roads in Salt Lake City?