Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I had to stop a Dodge Grand Caravan with that stupid foot actuated emergency brake, doing about 100km/h. The ABS module (I think) blew up and drained both circuits pretty much instantly when I tapped the brakes.

As I hurtled towards a busy highway full of traffic I actually considered testing my luck bailing out the window but I managed to slow it down just enough to make a tire smoking turn into a farm driveway right before the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I attracted my wife to be with a 91' Chevy Beretta in clear coat peeling red

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Cars with dashes that light up when the headlights are off was the dumbest decision and its become really common.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Devyl posted:

With LED lighting making great progress in the automotive industry, why can't we have constant-on lights all the time? You can't really say "well the bulbs would burn out faster" because LED lights last dramatically longer than other types of bulbs. I hate people that drive at dusk/dawn/night-time with only DRLs on almost as much as I hate people who refuse to turn their lights on when it's raining. With always-on lights you'd kill two very dangerous birds with one stone.

BMW was way ahead of the curve on this. In 1993 when they built my car mandatory DRLs had just been phased into Canadian law. Their solution was to wire all the lights to stay on all the time regardless of switch position. I buy lightbulbs in bulk.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Shin-chan posted:

I must be the only one who uses fog lamps (front and rear on 2/3 of my cars) when appropriate then.

In Canada, during the winter, I often witness the majestic white ghost. The driver of the white SUV that fails to put on their headlights, tail lights and fog lights during a snowstorm, and drifts in and out of vision like a mirage, despite being less than 50 feet from your car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I always find the biggest problem with other drivers on a bike is that some have a hard time estimating my speed with just one headlight. If I'm riding down the rode and get the spidey sense tingle about someone waiting to pull out ahead I'll usually move the bike from one side of the lane to the other, back and forth. I've seen some people pop their brakes when I do that so I have to assume it works sometimes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I always signal when I'm turning or merging, but I have to admit sometimes I wish I didn't. Often when I'm on the highway the guy who was just barely leaving enough room for me to get in will speed up to close the gap the moment I signal my intention to be in front of him. Can't have that, then I'd be beating him!

If your car is as rusty and beat up as mine then you can pull a "Toronto cab driver" and just start slowly moving over with your signal on wether there is room or not.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

My 1993 525i has the rear LSD and no traction control whatsoever. It's terror and fun at the same time in the snow and I've gotten used to drifting pretty much constantly.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

This is what the E30 is like. I'm always excited to be out when it snows. I find it's quite easy to control your slip angle in most situations, but one must be attentive to the back end becoming the front end in slippery conditions going fast.

With the LSD just about any sort of throttle is getting me sideways quickly. After a season of driving I learned to not sweat where the rear end was and concentrate on keeping the front end tracking straight. Also the rooster tails an LSD can produce accelerating from stop is magnificent.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I honked at someone when they blew right through a stop sign, while talking on a phone, at a four way today. They were startled by the horn mid turn and actually went up over a curb and nearly down a hill into a public park. Then they got out of their car, still on the phone, and started screaming at me as I went through the intersection.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

The car is always like a bashed up Alero or maybe a Windstar with no rear suspension. 55 MPH? Driving 41. Slows to 45? 41 MPH. 35 MPH speed limit? Forty-one miles per hour.

Combine that with the "oh, this is a passing zone, this means I need to drag race this 5 series that's been trying to get around me" factor, and sometimes my daily country highway commute is hell. Better than rolling the dice on our interstate, though.

I live in a rural area and I too have experienced this, and it occurs at exactly 70km/h.

I still laugh when they do 70 in an 80 zone and then continue to do 70 through a small town/school zone/around a school bus.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

You're assuming that "most people" even give it a second thought.

Also that they look at their speedo, understand a speed limit, and have the ability to maintain a speed for any length of time.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I don't know if any drivers are to blame here but holy poo poo a truck losing a retread right in front of you while you're doing 75mph is terrifying. I felt like a boss afterwards for dodging it and getting a little drift in the process, right after I'd stopped shaking.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Thankfully no one immediately behind me but it caused a whole lot of lane changing for the pack of cars about 500m further than that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

We usually have police directing traffic is that not a thing in the USA?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Want to ride 10 miles under the speed limit in the left hand lane? Check.

In Ontario I feel like we're right on the edge of it being socially acceptable to flash brights at someone doing this like they do in Europe. I've seen it done lots of times now and people seem to move over without any sort of drama or rage.

I really want this to be a thing because people passing on the right causes lots of near misses.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Driving in Costa Rica was rad because there is an unspoken rule that people in faster vehicles are better than you and therefore deserve to pass your slow stupid rear end. A Porsche 911 appeared at warp speed in the rear view mirror of my Daihatsu Terios and everyone behind and in front of me moved half way into the shoulder so that he could shame us with his superior car. He also missed an oncoming slow fruit truck by inches and my heart stopped briefly but that was earlier in the journey before I was desensitized to near misses.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Only on newer motorcycles. It varies across years and across brands. For instance, my Honda CB650 has a headlight switch that was disabled with a jumper in-between the handlebar switch connector, and if you removed the jumper you gained full functionality of the switch. My 2009 Enfield has a functioning switch, but as discussed before an Enfield isn't anything to go by legally or mechanically in any example, so it can be disregarded.

My 76' Kawasaki KZ650 has low beams always on with a rocker for switching to high, and my 66' Yamaha YDS3 just has a simple switch for on and off. Agreed completely that it varies a lot, especially from about 1975-1990.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I mean like this

This is the most ridiculous thing to do to gain like 500 metres of headway on gridlock traffic.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Heater core is blowing cold on the Taurus, just in time for winter. We've past three of the four milestones of Ford ownership so far. Blown alternator, ball joints, and now the core. If everything is on schedule the motor mounts will be next.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

These are people you share the Tail of the Dragon with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBg9vmKbz0

This should be an instructional video on how not to drive a RWD vehicle.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Complete road rage by the truckers, but this is one time where I'll say it was well deserved. :haw:

Boxing the crazy lady in before she causes a pileup is a totally acceptable road safety measure and those truckers should be given little medals.

Sometimes I wish someone would do that to people during snow storms on our highways.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I think its already been established that northerners are regularly bouncing off the rev limiter in a ford focus moving through 3 feet of snow, with the entire passenger seat taken up by the massive balls of the driver.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

If someone wants to go way faster than you in the left lane then just let them by. Bait cars for speed traps are an essential part of my "always going 20+ over the limit" strategy on highways.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

At this point I really wish Canada would mandate that DRL includes the tail lights. gently caress everyones annoyance at having to replace bulbs no one seems to understand that DRL still means your tail lights are out in a snow storm.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Brigdh posted:

I was actually a little surprised I didn't see some trucks in a ditch on my way to work. It was odd too, since half the folks couldn't keep to the cleared part of the lane and were driving on the snow when they didn't need to.

This isn't always bad. Packed snow is honest compared to black ice and slush. Its easy to establish your traction on snow and drive accordingly but the invisible stuff will gently caress up your day.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

Front wheel drive :negative:

Technically that's sort of correct. You always want the most grip on the rears regardless in the snow. If your front out brakes your rear in snow things get sideways and lovely fast.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

Well, right but if the roads are so bad / slick that you'd feel it necessary to chain up in the first place, I wouldn't think you'd be going anywhere in a FWD Altima with chains only on the non-driven wheels. I'd think you'd want chains for all 4 in that situation, or none at all. I've (fortunately) never had to deal with tire chains though, so v:shobon:v

Oh yeah absolutely. It's a retarded setup, just not as retarded as most think.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

No, it's really retarded. Just think about how much tirespin that guy is having all the time but thinks he is safe because he threw iron.

Still better than doing an endo the first time he hits the brakes on some hard pack snow. I mean I'm not defending the ridiculousness of that setup except that at least he might have a chance at stopping safely once he starts understeering towards the ditch.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The left lane on the 401 in Ontario is absolutely terrifying if the conditions are right. WHOOOMF as your car hits standing snow that wasn't there 2 seconds ago at 120km/h. Middle and right lanes don't usually have that problem but man it sucks when you're out to get around someone who is terrified doing 80km/h and you see your two safe little tarmac tracks suddenly turn white.

Oddly my BMW deals with this better than the Subaru I used to own. It would get tossed around by sudden snow or standing water but the BMW just plows right through it. I'd like to think it was safer but I think its because its not getting much traction at all and just skating over the white stuff.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

Just like my local municipality plow job last night/this morning. We should have been in at noon yesterday with salt. We would have been done by midnight or so, and the streets would look great. Instead, they called us in at 7 pm MINUS our 6 wheeler for salt. Just 4 pickups (we do side streets and their 6 wheeler is supposed to do the main roads). Nobody salted, their driver did a poo poo job (to his defense it looked like he hadn't slept for a couple days even at midnight.....he was put out there by himself without out us for the previous 18 hours).

I was attempting to escape London Ontario yesterday and watched a plow, blade up, dumping sand on top of 3-4 inches of snow on the road. I thought the plow driver retarded until my father told me this is something he's seeing all the time now. What the gently caress do they hope to accomplish with turning 3 inches of snow into 3 inches of sandy snow?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I flashed a guy with no taillights last night and he actually turned them on. Then waved thanks as I passed him. That never happens.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

8ender posted:

I flashed a guy with no taillights last night and he actually turned them on. Then waved thanks as I passed him. That never happens.

Nevermind. I saw a PT Cruiser this morning with the temporary spare tire on, doing 120km/h in a snow covered left lane. Everything is back to normal.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Does Toronto have police, or is everyone so well behaved that they don't need them?

Toronto police just appear in a puff of smoke when they're needed. I once saw a guy ripping through rush hour traffic at 180+km/h, barely missing cars as he used whatever lane, including the shoulder, that was available to maintain that speed. A few kilometres later I saw him pulled over getting his car impounded. I never saw a cruiser come from behind me so I assume they used magics.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Also the Ontario Provincial Police will have an officer stand on top of a bridge with high vis vest pointing a radar gun down a flat 2km stretch of the 401 highway on a sunny day. On the other side of the bridge is 5-6 cruisers that will always be busy pulling over cars. If you fail to notice Mr. Bright Vest and his giant tripod by about 1000 metres out then you probably aren't paying attention to driving and deserve to win the stupid prize for being stupid. They don't usually pull anyone over unless they're doing more than 120, so you're oblivious to your surroundings and travelling at about 30-40km/h over the speed limit. I really can't find any fault in their speed trap setup.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Yes, random stranger, I shall obediently risk an at-fault collision because to do otherwise would show a lack of gratitude for your apparent courtesy and so insult you...

I've been the guy barrelling down the other lane in that situation. Left a nice long skid mark and stopped a foot from the minivan full of terrified faces turning in front of me.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Eh, I doubt it. I've yet to see someone pulled over for it in other states.

Its been illegal in Canada forever and ever and the police still suck at stopping it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

xzzy posted:

Those are fun when the gap is big enough to wedge your car into.

My beat to poo poo BMW is perfect for this and I do it whenever possible. Come on, ding the doors, theres barely anything left to ding.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Thanks hambeast Grand Caravan lady for almost merging into me and blowing through a lit crosswalk with crossing pedestrians. I'm sure texting at 20km/hr in a snowstorm is a great loving idea.

I saw a lady texting in a Ford Escape doing about 60km/h in snow. We went past thee signs warning about the right lane closing and she was still texting. She spotted the construction zone at the last second, slammed on the brakes, and plowed into about a dozen pylons. The Escape ended up sideways blocking both lanes. Then we all got to watch and wait while three city workers and our protagonist attempted to dislodge the tangle of loving pylons from the wheel wells. She was still on the phone while pulling at them.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Kitchener Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Uh ... with those you just roll on and pass them whenever you feel like it.

Hell, pretty much anything 400cc+ that's true, it doesn't even have to be a sportbike.

I do this with my 76 KZ650 and pass cars like they're standing still.