Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Galler posted:

I like the people who signal after they have gotten half way through their merge/turn/whatever. I guess they know that they are supposed to signal but just have no idea why. :downs:

That's the issue I have with my wife - no matter how many times I patiently explain that a turn signal is an indication of intent, she always uses it as a "Status: I am merging" indicator. Which is useless since, you know, you can see the actual car moving over at that point. Frequently, she flicks it on and off so fast that it occasionally does not have time to actually illuminate the signal. She is also confused as to why people are "such assholes" about letting her in to merge, even though they literally have no way of knowing that she wants to.

At this point I just have to ignore it, and pray that nothing bad happens as a result. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Geoj posted:

I'm curious - do you usually wait for some indication of "OK, merge" from the next car back in the lane you're intending to change into? In my experience there are far too many "this is a race! I'M WINNING GODDAMNIT!!!" and/or "I'm the rightful owner of this highway, GET OUT OF MAH LANES!" drivers on the road to put your blinker on to signal your intention and politely wait from permission. It seems that even when I change lanes in front of someone several carlengths back they still take offense and immediately plant themselves two inches off my rear bumper.

Generally the space in to which I'm merging is large enough for my car to fit already, so I just make sure the car behind the gap isn't closing in and then go for it. If I'm asking to merge in, I move up far enough that the driver behind the (much smaller/non-existent) gap, signal, and hope they're not a dick about it. And I try to return the favor when it comes up.

Some people are dicks about it, but usually it's not that big of a deal. But Portland drivers are bad because they're timid, not because they're assholes.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
I've always imagined it was more of a chance for the officer to get a read on your speech patterns than a real memory test. If you're concentrating on getting the letters right, you'll probably forget to control your slurring :v:

Also gently caress that guy forever.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Managed to snag a quick video of one of the most terrifying vehicles I have encountered on the road in recent memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=349KUok3wAM

Had to cut it short as I did not want to be anywhere near that thing when it imploded. It had Washington plates and was headed towards 205N, so at best he almost certainly was heading another 10 miles in that mockery of Death.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Spare. He was anticipating the sliding like he'd been running on it for a while. Right before I started filming, it also exhibited some strong variable camber on both rear wheels, independently from each other.