Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I hate DRLs.

Because there are people so loving stupid that they never turn on their headlights now. You don't know how many people I see driving in the darkest parts of Nevada in the middle of the night with just their DRL on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Thank you for reminding me of the inspiration for this thread from 2 days ago which I somehow blanked on!

Customer complaint: DRLs stopped working.

Inspected vehicle and found that it was not equipped with DRLs from the factory, with neither the module or any sort of capability for one. Customer insists that they totally worked prior to bringing the vehicle in for service. Status: unresolved.

I bet they just drove around with their headlights on all the time, and when they turn their key off, they shut off like Jeeps and Subaru do.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I work on bikes, often old bikes, and I gotta say there's an awful lot of undeserved disdain out there for people who don't know poo poo about motor vehicles. That's fine with me, man. That's why I got my job. There's a lot of poo poo I know nothing about, like astrophysics and dentistry and Chinese history. You don't know what to do, you go to an expert. The problem comes with people who think they know something.

What drives me batshit insane is when company shops won't listen to the drivers.

My last shop visit went like this.

Needed a B service, check steer tire for odd wear pattern, replace filters in cab.

So Micheal J Fox changes my oil and sprays down my block and frame with oil, replaces the cab air filter, doesn't check the steer tire. This poo poo is common, so the whole shop comes to check out the strange wear pattern for the steer tire. The shop boss comes over and flips the gently caress out how I should be red tagged for leaking power steering hoses rawr rawr rawr, and by this time the outside tire service guy wanders over. So I laid into the shop boss, saying that I have written the hose up a couple of times since it first went into the shop (it was the first repair I wrote up at 30,000 miles, hasn't been fixed by 260,000, they just added a hose clamp to the hose) Then he starts going off on the strange wear patterns on the steer tires, I fire back that they refused to align the truck 90,000 miles ago, and then he freaks out and starts babbling about what shops I have gone to and why don't they fix poo poo, I then inform him that I have only been to this shop for repairs since getting the truck. Tire guy kinda laughed. Needless to say poo poo was silly, still haven't had the hoses replaced, and they changed the tire, but didn't align the truck.

Still, it's better than the last time I was in the shop, in which they replaced my water filter, and didn't use the rubber gasket and I pumped my cooling system out in the middle of Nevada.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'm not a mechanic, so grain of salt and all that, but this "idiots with cars" thing goes both ways. There are plenty of guys working in shops that have no business touching vehicles. Stripped oil drain threads, hosed up wheel studs, etc. This is easy poo poo that routinely gets screwed up at shops.

The other thing I would disagree with is the "if you have a car, you should definitely at least do (or know about) X, Y and Z". Do you guys all routinely get dental cleanings every six months? Do you floss every day? Do you get 30 minutes of exercise each day? Do you contribute to your 401k? The point is, car maintenance for a lot of people is just white noise - and very likely there is something important in your life you tune out much the same way. (We all do this - I'm not perfect)

None of that is to take away from the extreme cases where people are trying to get stuff fixed for free by the shop. Those people are shitheads and deserve the angst.

I'd just be happy if they could figure out how to turn their lights on and where the turn signal is.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Phone posted:

It's bullshit. For some odd reason people these days don't have a lot of disposable income and employment is hard to come by. Also, stop yearning for "the good ol' days" it's sexist bullshit.

*farts in hand and fans it at you*

Smell dis? Is good no?

West SAAB Story posted:

People out this way are still scared and confused by a Diverging Diamond Interchange.

That's almost as good as up by where you live, NDOT didn't grind down before they slapped more asphalt down at the bridge overcrossing at Red Rock? Stead? So now it's a 13'11" instead of a 14'1", Nevada is a 14 foot state. That bridge is gonna get beat like UNLV.

VikingSkull posted:

No, there's no excuse. I work at an auction, we get everything from Kias to Ferraris, and I've been in thousands of cars. If it was made in the last 3 decades, I've been in an example of it, and finding controls isn't hard.

Here's a hint: They are all located within arms reach of the steering wheel.

Or if it is a International, down by your loving knees. Or if it is on a GM truck from the 1990's you have no idea, but it's best to hit all the switches because GM used water based poster paint for the important switch markings in the 1990s.

DrPain posted:

There was that one time I had to move a Porsche for the first time ever and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out where the gently caress that key went.

:negative:

Peterbilt are also like that. Handy as gently caress if you want to light off the engine while being on the ground.

I also want to meet the person who came up with this, blindfold them and beat them with a rubber hose.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

wallaka posted:

That fake velour IS nasty. I prefer the Cheyenne vs. Silverado anyway--I specifically want vinyl floors instead of carpet, a bench seat, I want a clutch pedal with a throw as long as the actual shifter and I want a transfer case stick that you have to pull like a MAN, drat it, not a push button.

Also you can't accidentally roll down all the windows with your knee.

Is it the door lock? Window? Which window? It's fun for the whole family!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Honestly, I'm pretty law abiding when it comes to illegal passes, but something like that? To hell with it.

gently caress, I passed the googlemaps car on a double yellow because the rear end in a top hat was doing 45-50 in a loving 70.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have passed these guys a couple times on I-10 and on some back roads around here because they were going so slow. I wonder if they are told to drive slow as poo poo.

I wonder if the wind drag on the cameras cause the roof to buckle at higher speeds.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Astroman posted:

Did you check to see if this moment was immortalized online?

Yes, yes I did.

:q:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

Thats when you, with a car newer than 1986, hit the Memory X position on your seat, which causes it to tilt the mirrors outward, and upward, toward, but not completely blinding THEIR line of vision. <:smug:>

I do that with my big truck all the time. I can always tell when I hit them in the eyes because they slam on their brakes. You'd be surprised at how many can't figure out they are blinding themselves.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

Not really.. I've been to Ferntucky before.

Oh this is much more out in the great wide open. Massholes/New Yorkers seem to be the most common, followed by Californians. Retards from Nevada forget to turn off their minepit flashers and drive around blinking green lights.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

Do the needful, goon sir. :patriot:

I had to train some people in a redneck Scandinavian shop exactly what that button was for. A few times.

Did you also have to give them a lesson on how to correctly say "SAAB"?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://youtu.be/BLwe7UqUX7k

More video from the motorcycle group. I can't loving believe what I am seeing.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I really wish motorcyclist would stop trying to kill themselves around me to be honest. I know you guys (who do this) think you are hella fuckin' cool, riding in formation, but when your inside group is riding tires on the white line, that means you are in my lane bub.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BabyMauler posted:

Yes to this. Nothing is worse than trying to get gas on a cold snowy morning here than dealing with plow drivers sitting in their trucks drinking coffee at the pumps.

Heh, if you think that's bad, I was at a stop after Burning Man happened, and these Burners parked their school bus in the fuel island and went inside and took SHOWERS. Thankfully they did it on the car and pick-up side.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

When did it ever become acceptable for people to use the center turn lane as a merge lane? Just because you might have to wait a few seconds more to safely turn left from a side street doesn't mean "Hey, I'll just use the center turn lane as my own personal acceleration lane. Somebody will let me in eventually!" No. In fact, if I see someone doing that I'll make it my own personal mission to make sure they know the fact that the center turn lane is for traffic that is already on the street trying to decelerate and turn left. I swear to god oncoming SUV, I'll play loving chicken in my shitbox 1992 Accord. And guess what motherfucker? I ain't gonna be the one that blinks. Oh I'm sorry did I inconvenience you and your mewling crotch spawn because you had to slow down for someone using the center turn lane for it's loving god given intended purpose? Good, I hope you roll that loving monstrosity and it kills your entire brood. God knows the gene pool needs a little bleach in it around here.

Depending on the state, it IS a merge lane.

Yeah, I had no idea you could use it as such for awhile.

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/qtlaws05.pdf

InterceptorV8 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 8, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Yeah, it says merging vehicles can use them to merge for 50 feet. Being generous and doubling that to 100 feet is still well within the realm of acceptable to me. It's the loving soccer moms in their SUVs that will literally go a block and a half trying to merge that make me want to murder them.

I think we need to look at this problem.

Ban Soccer.

If there isn't any Soccer, there won't be any Soccer Moms and this problem will fix itself.

:q:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah I'd get a full time dash cam if I could turn audio off. I say poo poo that would make Frank Garrett blush and spin in his grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO3bxTp-Nsk

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

e: meanwhile, on my way home last night with the cruise set at 85 (70 mph road where traffic normally does 80-85)

I only got around to fixing the clock a few hours ago, everything I've posted in the past week is an hour into the future

Just wait until you see that, but they are on the wrong side of the interstate heading right at you.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

gileadexile posted:

These were taken a few weeks ago. Some from my workvan on my way back to the site and others fron my Jeep on my way home. I have my phone set to voice recognition and burst photos so it's not as dangerous. That's my story and I stick to it.

No headlights. Gray car.

Sure, cut in on me with wind and rain and no lights!

At least they used their turn signal. I've had some people cut me off so close I can't even see the rear of their car. Then they get all pissy when I thumb the air horn. I can't remember 100% but I think the nose of my truck rated that I can see something 3 feet tall, three feet in front of my bumper. Anyway, it's too loving close, and my airhorn rattles their assholes.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

Hey Nashville, yeah you. Why do you produce so many lovely drivers? A turn signal means I intend to come into that lane, my steer tires halfway into that lane means the trailer is going to be coming along with me shortly. Almost like it trails behind me or something...

I know sometimes people floor the accelerator to get by a truck before it changes lanes. Most times I don't blame you, but don't try it after I am already in the lane, I've got 41k lbs of GM parts and a $1mil insurance policy. I'll crush you before risk damaging the load by swerving. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGLVaEZjYS0

Fake edit; For those of you who drive for a living, this video saved me from a company level fine for unsafe driving from the company I am leased to. The jackwagon called me in so I sent the safety guy the video. I admit, it doesn't show the rear view, but it does show me giving the dude ample time and space to come back into the lane, and him swerving at me to try and force me out of the lane. (From the median of all places...)

I might have to get a setup like that.

loving Hyundai drivers, I had a yellow one of those try and take me out a couple of weeks ago swerved so close I couldn't see what in the gently caress it was it was already "under my nose" by the time I got off the phone with the NHP, they had already wrecked.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tha Chodesweller posted:

My sister and I were out and about yesterday, and we stopped for gas. I couldn't tell, but some guy came into the spot in front if us, and he was a cop or a fireman. Left his truck on the entire time he gassed up his car. And people wonder why I hate trucks so loving much.

Huh?

What's wrong with idling while you fuel?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

These are people you share the Tail of the Dragon with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBg9vmKbz0

I love how the people rush out into traffic. Let's stop people being stupid by really being stupid! Had a flagger get killed not that long ago for doing the very same stupid poo poo. Hell, I've almost played wack-a-mole with a motorcycle rider's head because, while yes, his tires where in HIS LANE, his head was in mine.

Next time it happens, I've got myself a new hood ornament.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

I take one of these DDIs almost every day (now).

So how did you like the weather today? I had over half a foot of snow on my truck, it's snowing. So that means everyone in a white car must turn their loving headlights off. Good times indeed.

Also that loving roundabout over by Scheels is loving retarded. Just because of that damned turn lane(s). You shouldn't have to cut across lanes of traffic to go straight drat it, so help me, I'm gonna lock in my hubs, don't make me loving run over that cocksucking airplane I swear on my mum.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

dissss posted:

Why not just implement DRLs as normal low beam headlights (and obviously tail lamps)?

I'd much rather go the other way making people learn how to drive their car, then allow them to be idiots.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

NoWake posted:

Terrible design.

You mean like every other car and truck with DRLs?

My semi truck is the same way. People should know since the headlights are at 75% power and the brights won't stay on, but nope, they keep on trucking.

I'll admit I've completely tarded out before and drove with my markers on and my DRL on. So yeah I was lit up, but my headlights where only at 75% BUT my dash was also lit up. Can't blame me TOO much, the headlight switch is by my knee and blocked by the steering wheel.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

It wasn't really all that bad. I grew up with snow, I can drive in it. :smuggo:

Hell, this was my 'pilot' snow drive in the new DD with unfamiliar (unmatched and lovely all-season) tires. I did fine, taking 395 all the way down to town, and opting for Business Loop on the return due the number of other assholes unable to find the road. I heard an awesome Deep Purple live track between Lemon and Golden - I had never heard Smoke that awesome while driving before.

I did watch a WRX in Subablue and pink wheels heading over the hill to Red Rock at about 70, and destroying their jeans while slowing to 35 while attempting to maintain their lane. I politely waved as I passed. Also, a Q37 near Panther Valley onramp who failed to negotiate a rather, well, simple curve.

I'm still waiting for Scheels to be torn down and be replaced with an outlet mall. :v:

Yeah YOU might be able to drive in it, doesn't mean poo poo with the people around you are mentally damaged! Yeah 395 turned into a massive clusterfuck yesterday, they didn't put anything down and I saw a couple of people slow slide around and Northbound was a parking lot, with the plow drivers just chillin' out in the middle of it. 80 was pretty much completely cleared and clean, and the only problem I saw was someone flipping their trailer completely over the center divider near Wells (the town, not the offramp)

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

E: jesus gently caress don't brandish either, even by accident

Maybe in YOUR state.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

You noticed that too? It was like that from Susanville all the way down to Carson, from what I've heard and seen. The drive back was grand today (and will be again shortly, I'm sure) - some idiots decided that they could finally go about 50mph or so once they got past Panther Valley. I was in the left lane after passing a slowboat, and someone from the right lane decided to cut in before it narrowed to two lanes, almost shoving me into a plow on the left side of the road by cutting me off, despite my blinkers being on.

If you ever get a double-flash 'safe to merge' or low beams flash at night from a SAAB, there is probably an 80% chance its me on this coast. :mario:

Did the plows forget to plow today or something?

http://www.reno.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=41695

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Fucknag posted:

In Florida we have the 10-20-life rule; automatic 10, 20 and 25-life sentences for pulling (or displaying I'm sure) a gun, discharging one, or shooting someone, respectively, during any criminal incident. So if the guy flashed his AK, even accidentally, and wound up punching the dude (assault), that's an automatic 10 year sentence, even before other considerations that could make it longer; the judge by state law cannot prescribe a sentence more lenient than that.

Of course it conflicts with Stand Your Ground, etc. Still, something to think about, as I'm sure other states have similar things.

I personally am anti-gun full stop, but even the staunchest advocates I don't think would approve of showing your hot steel to put some road rager in their place.

Some states include your car under the stand your ground law. :pedo:

So you come up on someone in their car and or truck in some states in a threatening manner, and don't be surprised what happens. Hell, a guy stiffed a cabbie, cabbie chased the guy down, guy pulled a knife on the cabbie, cabbie took the guy's knife and loving killed the dude with his own knife and it was ruled justified.

Now let's stop gun chat and get back to your normal thread about bitching about bro-trucks. :yotj:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Solar Coaster posted:

Seattle is currently experiencing cold air from the Arctic, so it's colder than normal for the rest of the week. This morning, when I went to start my car at 6:00am, it was 20F out and everything was frozen. Once I got out onto the highway, I passed a late model silver Hyuandi in the center lane, doing about 45mph, in full tank commander mode. She hadn't scraped any of her windows, and she didn't even bother to turn on her rear defrost. All she had was a tiny hole towards the bottom of the windshield that she could peer through and see forward. Her mirrors were frozen and her lights were off as well.

Just amazes me how people just get in their car and go. I started my car early, got it warmed up, defrosted the windows and scraped what wouldn't defrost before I got out on the road. Can't these people take a few seconds and clear their windows so I dunno, they can see out of them?

Maybe she was a chipmunk driver and that's all she ever uses anyway.

Speaking of which, chipmunks give me the rage. I had a chipmunk a long time ago come up on me with her brights on and tailgated me, so instead of getting all mad and ragy, I started to slow down. Pretty soon, I'm doing loving 20 mph in a 55 and I'm full on :psyduck: because she keeps on tailgating me. Nobody else is around. This is in Nevada, so yeah, I can see that nobody else is around, which is why I felt safe in slowing down to 20 in a 55. Finally I changed lanes INTO THE FAST LANE and the chipmunk drove off.

That's right, she tailgated me on a road with two lanes and didn't even think of passing me. I just remember looking at her when she passed me, her eyes, face, nothing moved to the left or right and if she was any closer to the steering wheel, she'd been nibbling on the fucker.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

SFH1989 posted:

I daily drove my F-150 for almost seven years and when I bought my Fiesta I really didn't notice anything. I just don't get people who buy an SUV with the only goal to be abble to sit up high.

I feel like I'm driving a tiny lowrider when I switch over to my one ton from my big truck.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Edit: Oh, the best part: Of course when the light turns green, he sits on his brakes for awhile, then sloooooowly creeps into the intersection. ... Then realizes he needs to be two lanes to the left (turning left under the freeway), cuts off both lanes without signaling, and gets me and several other cars honking. Yep. I'm the problem here.

If I see a company truck from one of the mines around here with "SAFETY" on it, I hold onto my rear end because this ride is gonna be good.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Hard parking dot com! Seeing that video of the BMW X5, I didn't know those fuckers where so buff, I don't care but that takes some skill to monster truck cars like that.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

8ender posted:

Oh yeah absolutely. It's a retarded setup, just not as retarded as most think.

No, it's really retarded. Just think about how much tirespin that guy is having all the time but thinks he is safe because he threw iron.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I'd have less of a problem with if if their idiocy was legally recognised, and hitting them meant you received a cheque from their estate to cover the damage rather than a prosecution.

I've known of a couple of cases in which just that happened.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

Then I'm not talking about you. I invite you to come visit Chicago next time there's significant snow, so you can share in the rage..

Isn't that how people drive there 24/7 anyway?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Kill-9 posted:

40 car or so pile up outside Milwaukee. Why do people drive so drat fast in those conditions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R38RJuul55c

Guy in the Walmart truck stopped to get himself a front row seat to the greatest show on the road.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

ijustam posted:

My CDL test consisted of the air brake test, full inspection, standard maneuvering (parallel parking, moving straight back and forth) and then a trip around the block (it was a big block, including a dual lane state highway). Ended with me taking a tight right back into the BMV (hitting a curb is an auto fail so this is actually pretty tricky).

The full inspection on the CDL test is a bitch. Luckily I wasn't doing a combination vehicle so there were only 80-odd items to point out, instead of 127 or so. The fear of having to memorize that poo poo again is what keeps me renewing my CDL despite not driving a commercial vehicle in almost 3 years.

You left out the best part of the CDL test, going to the DMV to taken the written part of the test and noticing there is a loving moron taking the test that looks a lot like a baby shape toy but with roadsigns and the person is listening to the test questions on tape.

At least that's what I loving remember.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ace'd everything, which always kinda surprises me. Since I took my first driving test in a 1972 Chevy truck with a semi high strung 327 and a four speed.