Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On the 2006 U.S. E90 I've seen the extra brake lights are actually the rear fog lights, which aren't otherwise enabled (the switch is removed for them, but you can put it in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Das Volk posted:

They're different units on the post-facelift cars when they switched to the LED clusters. I've been caught in super heavy fog enough that I'm considering seeing if the European switch mod works on the later cars as well.

I found it weird that some of the last E46s went to LED tail lights but then the E90s went back to regular for a while.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Were you in SoCal before? Do people not do that there?
It's kinda common depending on the layout, unfortunately. People do it on the 24 West before Caldecott tunnel, for example.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Strangely enough my speedometer appears to be perfectly calibrated when I have my snow tires on. They must be larger diameter than my regular tires.

Is it easy to do a speedometer calibration? My brother's car is pretty far off.

In terms of speeding, I often set my cruise control at exactly the speed limit. People then speed by me and then slow down, and I overtake them... and it happens again and again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just my observation but the signs only seem to be accurate at certain distances. It may depend on the setup though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah over here they wised up after they came out and just made them start to blink and say "slow down".

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

razorscooter posted:

I beg all of the drivers around me to please just stop at the stop line. Not a car length or two behind it, not in the middle of the crosswalk. Please just stop at that line.

I walk dogs for the shelter every week and nobody stops at the white line at this one light. I mean nobody. They all want to make a right turn and are looking left. Doesn't matter if I have a reflective vest on and a very cute doggy with a walk signal, they'd run me over.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's weird on the bus, as I hear the dispatcher on the driver's radio announce when they're changing the express lanes and what direction it will be.

KozmoNaut posted:

Saw a dude at the lights today floor it and lay on the horn because a woman and her little girl were still crossing by the time the light changed :catstare:

Don't you live in a Scandinavian country? Aren't you guys supposed to be better than us??

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

I did a "factory reset" on this dashcam.

Everything is in Russian now. :stonk:

e: finally figured out the язык line was language.

I think it's the same word for tongue :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Granted this doesn't mean cops won't hassle you for pointing a cellphone at them. There's been several stories out of NYC where people were arrested for taping the police, even though their very own chief of police has stated it's ok.

Seattle PD did this to a reporter.

KozmoNaut posted:

We love to act all superior to ya'll, but we have our fair share of douchebags.

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic of course. Everywhere around the world has its fair share of assholes/crazy, in my observation.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The more signs are posted, the less people will read them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah and even if you do it is honestly pretty hard to keep track of which car stopped first when you have like a million lanes each way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

And on the east side we just got the start of winter: snow is still dropping, and every fucktard on the road is all :downs: and driving just like yesterday when it was clear. :suicide: Saw this during the 2008 Snowmageddon, where people were still barreling along and drifting through the mess... on the freeway... while passing the State Patrol cars responding to a pre-existing accident. At least six times in the ten miles from work to where the bus finally went to surface streets. (It'd been almost entirely clear and dry up until just after noon, that day. And not only did we get record-breaking fucktons of snow, the poo poo kept coming down for about a month.)

There were so many remains of tire chains on the freeway that time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That looks like an integral of F=ma but I don't really remember physics. I was good at calculus though (maybe I even own at it ;) ).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

We have "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs all along. What more do we need?

CharlesM posted:

The more signs are posted, the less people will read them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret:

You too can own calculus!

I don't think that existed when I took calculus.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
But there's a yield sign on your side?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I figured, I see the Prius is coming in later too but it's kinda hard to tell from the vid the nature of the intersection.

Around here they've put TWO yield signs on some onramps but it still doesn't seem to matter.

As I like to post though, the more signs there are, the less people read. I don't even mean this facetiously, it's a true behavior.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to excuse anyone. I mean I could see the mistake of entering the road but then cutting across all three lanes is just being an rear end in a top hat.

Krakkles posted:

It's honestly something I've never seen outside of Texas, so if you haven't been there/driven much there, you wouldn't know :)
I agree, but those intersections aren't hard to navigate - it's literally a yield sign and nothing else. You're right that people do that, but it can't really be blamed here.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It isn't just cyclists with headphones / cell phones, pedestrians will walk in front of trains / cars if they're not paying attention.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/17/cell-phone-walking-injuries-rise/2824515/

I know it happened at least a couple times while I was in Prague too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Galler posted:

What seems to happen around here is that everyone does the zipper correctly except that they do it a mile too early. Traffic still flows along perfectly fine however even if it's slightly less efficient until someone charges up the empty lane and has to come to a complete stop in front of the cones until they can force their way in which completely fucks the flow of traffic. So the person jumping the queue is a shitlord for loving up the flow of traffic and everyone else is dumb for zippering at the wrong spot.

We need a big PSA about zipper merging or something.

I actually wrote to my representative about the possibility of adding driver's training to help alleviate or eliminate traffic, but I didn't hear back. Much traffic comes from driver's behaviors that have a cascading effect, including merging behavior. Notice how the head of traffic is often at a merge point? Also, following too closely and then having to push your brakes and the car behind does it...and it creates a kind of slinky effect where people get slower and slower.
This is a great site but with HTML from the 90's. :)
http://www.trafficwaves.org
There is also this book out there for some heavier reading:
http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-drive-what-says-about-ebook/dp/B001BAGWQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384916880

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want a rearward facing one too but I would need to figure out how to get power back there without making too much of a mess.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here in Seattle the speed limit really seems to be the speed limit too. In California it's the minimum speed instead. I'd be happy if I could just set my cruise control at the speed limit without having to pass a bunch of people on the right or whatever.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

Because changing the law would put the gas-pumpers out of work. Initially it was about "safety," but now every time it comes up in Oregon or New Jersey, the n-number of jobs it would kill always become the sticking point. It's like a weird skeuomorph but with jobs or something.

Interestingly the price of gas in Oregon is the same or cheaper than California or Washington, so that's nice. Less taxes I guess.

Also got my dash cam setup, still testing it out. I want to move it to another location but drat that glue / tape it uses is strong!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

West SAAB Story posted:

Nobody I knew could understand why I drove a G Body in San Francisco. Except when I was passing SFO, and all of the taxis slowed the gently caress down as they saw me lumbering in the far right lane that they were going to be merging onto. Sure, parking was impossible, but its not every day a taxi slams on the brakes because they don't trust you.

For a brief moment in time, I also had the worlds' most expensive G Body I was driving a new SAN to San Jose.

1:30 :negative:

Oh yeah I got whacked by a taxi cab mirror in San Francisco but I was in my Volvo 740 so I didn't care. The taxi driver was SO HAPPY I told him not to worry about it. It just left a black mark that came off anyway.

Edit: If I can see far ahead and nobody is around is there danger crossing over the lines? Obviously not talking about blind corners. I don't do any of that racing on the street poo poo though so it's just a hypothetical.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I watched a few. There are a surprising amount of people who cross the line even with vehicles coming right at them, including a Bugatti Veyron! Assholes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

I've had the same issue, I don't bother with cheapo SD cards any more, quality 16GB ones aren't a whole lot of cash and do what I need.

Oi the dashcam I got has rejected two good cards so it's time for it to go back. Apparently the newer versions of the firmware aren't as good. :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mine actually asks for a class 4 or class 6, the class 10 causes problems I guess. I am going to return it for firmware issues though as stated above. Oh well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

Haha I just remembered a good one. I was on the interstate with cruise control on and some lady in a Sebring convertible merged on and then over the course of a couple minutes absentmindedly synchronized her speed to mine and slowed down and pulled back about 1/16 mile until she was next to me. After a minute driving right next to me she just completely blew her top road raging because I was driving next to her. I'm guessing she wanted to move (without signaling of course) to some other lane and I was "blocking her" out, but this was a completely open stretch of six-lane interstate and she had all the options in the world in free movement. She literally just went from sitting there doing nothing to leaning out of the car gesturing wildly with both hands and then awkwardly swerving and accelerating away. She had her (boyfriend/brother) in the pass. seat and it just looked like the most embarrassing situation ever for him. I got the impression she might have done things like this in the past. The road was one of those combined-interstate dealies so I was in the number 3 lane from the right waiting for my exit in a couple miles doing nothing at all out of the ordinary except driving with cruise control on minding my own business.

I set my cruise control at the speed limit too. When I go to pass people they then speed up and stay right alongside me or in my blindspot. :doh:

Also that guy on the scooter was drunk maybe? That must be a decent size well, did you see the delayed splash?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You Am I posted:

It is surprising to see the number of P (Probationary) Plate drivers in Commodores that do stupid poo poo like this. It's also hilarious to see them rocking a Commodore Executive (aka fleet hack spec) with 20" rims that cost double the price of the car.

If I was going to do something with a Commodore, surely you should be aiming at a Berlina or Calais. At least they have some extra gear in it.

Are P plates removable for families that share a car?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

I had this problem with a Mercedes I had just bought that had 1l of fuel left and a 30mile journey home.

Except in my case, the tank door was very stiff and also required you to press hard in exactly the right place.

and I didn't have a manual.

Mercedes and BMW it's part of the central locking system. Golf R too I guess :)

The Midniter posted:

I'm running errands during my lunch hour today and was about the seventh car in line in a left-turn-only lane. This particular light is short, and the wait for the green is very long, so it's easy to get impatient. The light turns green, the first car pulls forward, the second vehicle creeps forward a few inches...and stops, just sitting there. My blood pressure shoots through the roof and I begin yelling, wondering why it's not going anywhere. Of course it's one of those massive hulking Infiniti QX56. I finally get through the light after the driver deigns to move and I take a look at the driver - rich housewife in a ballcap, on her cellphone, of course. loving hell, they get my blood boiling.

Maybe there was an animal you couldn't see?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

When did that ever stop anyone from trying? Have you seen the way moms and dads sling their minivans around town?

It was pretty easy to spin the tire on my company's minivan. :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Roseo posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a make and model of dash cam to buy in the US? Preferably off Amazon though I'm somewhat flexible. Not looking for any particular price point. Would fit a late model sedan. I'm just not sure what brands are trash and what is good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181244084845?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This arrived for me today. I am still trying it out. It came from Korea in less than a week.
Check out dashcamtalk.com. There is a FAQ with a list of some cameras. I had the "Mini 0801" but returned it because the firmware was buggy and the camera would shut off randomly. It is available from an Amazon seller with Prime though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

Fog today...so bad that some people had to slow down to 70mph in places.

with the inevitable rear-ending when someone stops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZ8UMDQ_EA
On the related videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhx-fgpeBo fun stuff starts at about 55 seconds in.

The spin out of control is like something out of a movie. Overcorrect left, overcorrect right, see ya!
Also in my experience driving in the greater Vancouver area is always like this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ha when I was a teenager you only need to have a learner's permit in California for 30 days. :psyduck:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

I came within one question of failing the California written motorcycle test, because their questions about lane positioning are literally wrong. California apparently thinks you're supposed to ride in the center of the lane, where there's all the oil and broken glass and poo poo, despite every course in the country telling you to ride in the left or right tire track depending on which lane you're in and a bunch of other factors. Dummies.

Snowdens Secret posted:

That question/answer isn't unique to California and IIRC my MSF instructors explicitly warned us about it: never ride like this, but if you see it on the test, answer it this way. I think there was at least one other question like that but it's been pushed out of my head by irrelevant administrivia about how long a school bus has to stop at railroad crossings.

That's very odd as I've never rode a motorcycle or taken any courses and I know you're supposed to ride off-center; I thought it was even in the regular driver's handbook.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

I don't recall directions to ride off-center being in the Ontario car driver's handbook, but it was definitely in the motorcycle handbook, and the M1 written test verifies that riding in the tire track is the correct way to go in Ontario. I didn't look at any California literature when I converted my license, just assumed that I'd get it all right, and I pretty much did except for the three questions that involved lane positioning.

What I don't get is why it would be different. There isn't even a debate about whether it's better to ride in the center -- every motorcycling organization I know of universally says it's safer to ride in the tire track. Besides your avoiding all the glass and oil, you also have better sight lines, a better blocking position to keep people from creeping into your lane, and a more direct escape route if you're about to be rear-ended at a stoplight or something. No question. The only reasons I can theorize are that either (1) the laws were written by someone who's never sat on a bike, or (2) they think that the concept is too complicated and no one would pass the test otherwise. Beats me.

Well I mean I learned to drive in California so I figure I learned that in the classes or handbooks there so it's surprising the test would be different. On the other hand my dad did always take home those Smith System defensive driving videos so I guess I could have learned it there although I don't remember motorcycles being a part of it. Then again this was long enough ago that I barely remember anyway so who knows.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InterceptorV8 posted:

The AARP is the most powerful union ever. And that includes the old Soviet Union. How else do you explain RV having 800+ HP engines, air brakes, 60K GVW and still doing 45 in a 75mph zone? And you don't get your eyes checked every couple of years at the DMV? I know I get my poo poo checked for my medical, but I also always get me vision checked at the DMV when I renew. Funny story about that, I am legal to drive a normal car without glasses, but I have to wear glasses to drive a CMV.

Sidenote, I hate the AARP and all the mail they send me EVERY DAY because they think I'm 50+. All they do is sell insurance and now cell phones. Asking to be removed does not work so I will declare to the post office I find their material sexually provocative which forces them to stop sending mail or face prosecution. This is a supreme court approved technique. :v:

Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
U.S. Virgin Islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Yeah, if BMW's were actually quality cars they would have claws that extend from the tires to get it out of a hole, like those toy monster trucks they made in the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4MYJt8c4w

Too bad that tire company with retractable studs seemed to vanish.