Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

some texas redneck posted:

How about sharing the road with dogs?

Is there any real interest in a dashcam thread, or at least a "I caught this stupid poo poo on a dashcam" thread? It seems like several of us are either in the process of obtaining a dashcam, or already obtained one.

I mount my GoPro in the Rover every day. Last week I forgot to charge it so it died 3 minutes into a rainy commute. That's the same morning some lady yakking on the phone driving a Suburban pulled out of a driveway and hammered the gas. The freshly moistened tarmac hastened her turn into a spin. She broadsided an innocent F150 in front of me and then proceeded to stay on the gas up over the curb and into a parking lot before coming to a jolting halt.

And I caught none of it on video. :doh:

I stopped to make sure everyone was uninjured then went on my way. If I'd been 3 seconds earlier leaving home it could have been me instead of the F150.

If a thread gets started I'll post there, otherwise they'll go here. I see stupid things nearly daily. I'll most likely mute my swear laced reactions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

In Austin, it's usually the Prius drivers that piss you off. Case in point, these two knuckleheads within a day of each other. At least my horn works in both cars. And I didn't use profanity in either case, I must be getting too used to this poo poo. Also, NPR on the radio. Am I old?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-htM3GyyQSk

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

CharlesM posted:

But there's a yield sign on your side?

As is on his.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

xzzy posted:

The weird rear end underpasses on I-35 (which is where the first clip in that video is)

It's actually 183 and Braker but 1/2 the intersections of main roads and freeways in Austin look exactly like this. Easy mistake.

As pointed out, he should pull into the left lane, not cut immediately across 3 lanes for his Chik-Fil-A fix. It's very common there though. He's lucky I was in my wife's Golf R and not my Range Rover. The video could have ended much differently.

edit: gotta ask. Does that video quality look okay to everyone once bumped to HD? I'm playing with different locations for the GoPro.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Krakkles posted:

The quality looks fine, I'd say the mounting location on the RR looks better - only really shows the hood, not so much the dash. Don't know if you can pull it off on the Golf, though - I'm guessing the windshield rake screws it up.

I think I'd have to point it at the sky to avoid the huge expanse of dash. I can already see a bit of the top winshied frame as-is. I guess I can live with it. Or mount it outside on the roof to get the same view as the Rover. :)

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

rscott posted:

I think I've seen exactly one car yield for left turning traffic getting on the expressway in a year of taking this route to work. Almost been run into by probably a dozen cars in the same time frame.

I see that all the time here. People are too lazy to look over their shoulder and too oblivious to the traffic pattern to care. 'What I can't see can't hurt me' I guess.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Kill-9: How does your GoPro handle the night? I'm interested in getting one for dashcam work as well but do a significant amount of driving at night.

Just for you I'll shoot some night video tomorrow. Watch this space. :) I won't say it's great. It tends to slow down the shutter speed some which can cause a bit of blurring during fast motion. You'll see in the video.

I originally got the camera for this 11-day Grand Canyon trip and now have no good use for it so it stays in the car with me. There are better, and cheaper, dashcams out there, obviously, but this one is paid for.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

People who use freeway ramps to get ahead of traffic. Exiting and reentering is just causing more traffic.

Unless it's like many places in Texas where the exit/enter lane is a separate lane meaning no merging into/out of freeway traffic needs to happen. Then you can treat that poo poo like your own personal bypass lane or an extra lane of freeway.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I mean like this

Now that's just stupid. In Texas we have these:

You can string them together to keep moving faster than traffic and never hit a light. The onramp doesn't force a merge in most places because the onramp turns into another offramp. You merge from there over into traffic if you need to. Sitting through a light to get past a couple hundred yards of traffic is insanity.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Yes, this is on a two-lane, one-way street (with a semi-blind curve right before the pictured section). I have no idea how people think this is any safer than backing out of the space would be, given the contortions they would have had to go through to get there. Sadly, this isn't the only time I've seen this on this road. Goddamnit, Michigan.

I started to say "There's areas around here where you're required to back in to on-street parking". Then I realized it's a one way street you posted and was :wtf:. You'd have to turn around facing oncoming traffic to pull that poo poo off. Takes a special kind of special.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Kill-9: How does your GoPro handle the night? I'm interested in getting one for dashcam work as well but do a significant amount of driving at night.

Sorry, no bad drivers here, just the nighttime example promised for KakerMix. Taken in 1080p at 60fps. Original is obviously much sharper. No audio as you probably didn't want to listen to me troubleshoot a server outage on speakerphone.

Took this all last night. GoPro Hero 3 Black with a hard mount to the windshield of my wife's Golf R. Pretty stable given the very hard suspension in that car. I got about 30 seconds each of city driving, some rain, and dark country roads on my favorite road in the city, Spicewood Springs Road. 3.5 miles of curvy fun right around the corner from my house. Well, fun until you catch up to another goddamn Prius as I did just seconds after I ended the recording.

edit: Had to delete video after it kept audio like it shouldn't have. I'll reupload soon.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 22, 2013

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Kill-9 posted:

edit: Had to delete video after it kept audio like it shouldn't have. I'll reupload soon.

Better. Sorry about that. Don't need y'all hearing my manager yelling at people doing their job badly. Not me though. I rock at my job.

Once it's done processing it'll have 1080p like the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZC5Wo_2Wk

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

We also share the roads with bad pedestrians. I caught sight of this one before the video even starts and for some reason I knew she would would do something stupid. Whenever I'm walking and I approach a busy street corner I start checking over my shoulder 100' before I get there to see if I can time it to hit a gap and not inconvenience anyone. She never once looks back, just strolls her headphone wearing rear end right into traffic. I was obviously ready to stop. Yeah, she has the right-of-way and I was ready to yield, but, poo poo, you gotta look, girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_IbGDqVdmA

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I've had the same issue, I don't bother with cheapo SD cards any more, quality 16GB ones aren't a whole lot of cash and do what I need.

Yeah, don't cheap out on SD cards. A good one is only a few bucks more than a cheap one. There's a lot of bad ones out there. I have about 1/2dozen SanDisk 64GBs for the GoPro and they worked perfectly over an 11-day rafting trip in the hottest of weather with constant dunking in sub-50 degree water. 100degrees>50degrees>slowly warming back to 100. Wash, rinse, repeat. Not a single failure.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

These are the people you don't share the road with. About the only perk for working on Friday after Thanksgiving. The roads are empty of most idiots. This spot is normally bumper-to-bumper at <10MPH at 8am. Today, 80mph and flyin'. 10 minutes door-to-door for my commute this morning.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

War Bunny posted:

I've never seen one of these before, but I do get furious at people who for some reason can't figure out how a roundabout works.

Also, I had a Golf R for one night and felt really dumb spending 15 minutes at the gas pump tearing the car apart looking for the fuel door latch and eventually had to pull out the owner's manual.

The second time I filled up my wife's R I had the same issue.

WHY. THE. gently caress. WON'T. IT. OPEN?!?! I know I did this last week just fine. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

*beep* *boop* Climb back into car to find manual.

Ohhhhhhhh....

Also, we had a very rare 'fog event' in Austin this morning. Visibilities under 100yards on the freeway. Does anyone turn on their headlights? gently caress no. I counted and less that 10% of drivers had on their lights. I still don't know how there wasn't a pile up somewhere. Probably only due to them all driving so drat slow.

edit: For those wondering: Locking a Golf's doors also locks the gas tank door. There is no door release inside the car. With the car unlocked you just open the gas door.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 4, 2013

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Came out of Fry's after stopping to pick up a cable and found this in front of my Rangie. It was too far forward to be from my truck(for once). Looking a little closer it appears some dumbass pulled right into the front of my car and got themselves a little coolant leak for their efforts. A small ding on the upright of the brush guard and a bit of missing paint is all I got. Yea for $2K Range Rovers!

Yes, I'm one of those Xmas wreath wearing types. Been doing it for over 20 years. Not stopping now.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

This evening I saw someone back out of a parking space into a van's front bumper, and there was something about the way he did it that screamed a sense of "yeah, well, he should park all the way into the bay, shouldn't he?" righteous indignation. Never mind that there was no way that thing was going to be able to get any deeper into the space, they were being distinctly miserly when they laid out the carpark.

I was towards the back of the spot as evidenced by the end of the line in the lower right of the pic. They had to pull into my spot to hit me. The aisles are really quite wide in this lot too. You could do a 3 point turn in the middle of them between cars. My Rover is 7+ feet tall and white. How do you miss that right in front of you? I just don't get it. I ain't even the slightest mad though as that brush guard already is scratched to hell as you can see.

Now it seems I need to keep the dash cam running even when I'm not in the drat car.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

that rover just keeps eating cars :neckbeard:

If you ever come across a genuine GDE aluminum winch bumper you let me know. I missed a cheap one on Craigslist in town by a few minutes last year and am still pissed about that one. I really like the look and they seem more sturdy than you'd think an aluminum brush guard would be.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

40 car or so pile up outside Milwaukee. Why do people drive so drat fast in those conditions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R38RJuul55c

edit:
Small bonus idiot driver from this morning. I had to drive the Thunderbird this morning in sub-freezing temps after the water pump in my Range Rover explosively disassembled itself at 70MPH on the drive home last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUysMS72SAo

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 10, 2013

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

xzzy posted:

I'd like to think seeing a trailer stopped in the road helped warn drivers approaching the scene a little bit too.

That's kind of what I thought. Having a big ol' truck stopped up ahead might be easier for the cellphone gabbing jackholes to see and possibly slow down before impacting the back of the pile up. It seemed once he got stopped the pile up chain reaction ended.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Texas allows you to do online defensive driving :downs: - I've taken it a few times.

Which you can do drunk or get your 12 year old kid to hit the continue button every couple minutes. If you have more than one computer you game on one and click the next page button on the other. Multi-tasking!

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

Nope.

The quiz after every video asks you poo poo like "What color was the car in this video?" or "What was Jeff's fathers name?" Then it will pop up and ask you verify identify details like your DL# or your SSN or other poo poo.

Terrible Robot posted:

The one I took thankfully did not do this so I just ran the video in the background while browsing the forums. Check it every 15 minutes or so, take quiz, back to forums. Still aced them all.

I've never had to take it but Terrible's experience is more like what I saw a co-worker go through. He did it at work while doing other stuff on another system. IIRC they did have a way of telling if the web browser window had focus so you couldn't switch apps but that was the grand total of 'security' on it in Texas at the time.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I punched a car's hood once that almost ran me over in a crosswalk, and the woman driving it started yelling at me about touching her car. Bitch, your car touched the side of my knees first.

I love it when I'm walking through parking lots and someone decides that they can't wait for me and the family to finish crossing the crosswalk and cuts us off. My wife knows exactly what's about to happen and plays along. As their rear quarter passes me I slap/punch it pretty hard and yell "You hit me, you rear end in a top hat! I was in the crosswalk!" My wife yells right along.

I've never had someone stop to check. Me or their car. I'm surprised they don't check their car as I usually hit it pretty drat hard. I just get a sheepish head hang in the rearview and they drive off. We all know who was wrong.

Weird thing is it's usually in the rain. What is it about rain that makes drivers more apt to cut off pedestrians in a crosswalk? I'm the one out in the rain getting wet, why the gently caress do you have to be in such a hurry and make me wait for you?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I used to do this, but the odds of having a random driver pull over and murder you aren't very well in your favor.

This is :texas:. We're all armed at all times. We will murder you right back.

edit: awww. When did they get rid of the :texas: tag?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

rscott posted:

I started signaling out my window and I'm fairly certain not a single person behind me actually knew what I was doing.

I hand signal in the T-Bird all the time. When your arm is on the sill, it's just less work than reaching back into the car to flip the lever.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

:stare: This could not possibly end badly.

I dunno. I took a couple day Bondurant course when I was 15ish before I got my license. I think being out on a skid pad and really learning what driving at the limit feels like is good for an inexperienced driver. Seeing how to recover from skids, what happens when you lock up the brakes(this was in the days before ABS), how to deal with oversteer(again, days before ubiquitous FWD cars. drat I'm old.), etc.

There's no driving school like that near me for my son but I do take him to local parking lots and let him hoon the ride a bit. He also started driving my Defender with a manual transmission at age 8 so he had a bit of a head start over most kids.

Show them how to be safe and how and where to get it out of their system in a safe manner. Just like sex and drug education. Making it all taboo makes them wanna do it in an unsafe manner.

"Wanna thrash on a car? Let's go to the local gokart track or parking lot." Done this lots.
"Wanna try booze? Fine, here's the liquor cabinet. What do you want to try?" He shared my 18 year Glenmorangie for Xmas yesterday. I just realized the scotch was older than him. drat.
"Weed? Not my thing but I'll make sure you do it safely."
"Cigarettes? No. Not ever. Now I'll smoke a cigar with you occasionally but cigarettes are out. I lost two Grandparents to cancer that way." He picked out a cigar and smoked with me at the bottom of the Grand Canyon for his 17th birthday.

Make it all a 'meh' affair and the excitement of 'getting away' with something behind mom and dad's back is gone.

Oh, in stupid driver related stuff. No one drove their car into the ditch across from my house this Christmas. We did hear squealing tires and ran outside to see someone speed off after a near-miss though. It's kind of a holiday expectation any more. It's happened on three Christmases, three Halloweens, and New Years a couple times over the past 15 years we've been in the house. This doesn't include the normal Friday/Saturday night drunken venture into the creek.

edit: sorry for wall of text. Office is empty at work and I got on an uninterrupted roll.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

And let me preempt commentary on the subject by stating I am aware of the following:
1) I shouldn't speed and I am a terrible unsafe driver blah blah blah
2) I'm a jerk for letting some poor unsuspecting fool take the $252 ticket for doing 85+ on I-10.

If the conditions were good and traffic light I have no problem at all with 15-20 over. If it was I-10 in West Texas 85MPH is the speed limit and he'd have been golden. :)

I've acted as trooper bait for others out there on I-10 with my cruise control set at a nice round 100MPH. I know when people are trailing using me as bait and I don't mind. I'm going to drive that fast anyways, someone might as well get some benefit. The sight lines out there are good enough that my eyes and the detector will see the Troopers long before the see me. Usually. Unless they are using planes or that instant-in poo poo. Then I'm hosed. Only been nabbed out there once when the limit was 65MPH. I was doing 95. He let me off saying "Just try to keep it under 80 out there." I love my little 'get out of jail free' CHL. Never been ticketed when I present that to an officer.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

sure the corner's sharp but looking at the slow mo it looks like he barely turned the wheel. Of course he went off-road. Is his reaction time laggier than 56k?

Simple target fixation. That is all. It's how you tell an experienced driver from a n00b. Always look where you want to go and the car will follow, to the best of its abilities of course. You keep staring at that rock off the side of the road and you _will_ hit it.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I love the sheepish "whoops" wave and look you get from them after someone blasts through in the opposite lane between you after they wave you over. I'm pretty OCD with my mirror and window checks when pulling onto a road and I've been taught to TRUST NO-ONE on the road, but I know that many people will just pull out when given a wave or flash.

Getting T-boned is not particularly high on my list of things to do.

Ask my wife how she learned not to trust that wave through. She learned the hard way while driving my new truck about 12 years ago. Luckily she gunned it once she realized her mistake and took the hell-of-a-hard hit in the side of the bed instead of the driver's door. She still talks about how I didn't even ask about the truck once when I got that call. :)

Now I have a hard time convincing her to go if both lanes are stopped in traffic and leaving a gap on a street with a clear chicken lane.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Caught this last night. Running a red light. More than one car. In the rain. It's not like it's a super short yellow and they were surprised by it. They just decided they were in a bigger hurry than anyone else. I'm guessing they wanted to get to that new In-n-Out across the freeway before they sold out of burgers or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72R-pYMJGAs

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

EightBit posted:

I love how people keep saying to maintain a safe gap, but it's not possible without avoiding heavy traffic; you can't form a gap, people fill them in.

If you think you can leave a safe gap, you are not understanding the problem.

Easily solved. Try to drive at the average speed of traffic. I usually idle along in second gear and the gap in front of me grows and shrinks, grows and shrinks. People merge in, people merge out. If I get my speed right I never have to touch the brakes. I find it almost zen-like in the concentration required to keep that speed juuuuust right and I get pissed when I do have to tap the brakes. Riding the guy's bumper in front of me isn't going to get me to my destination any faster.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I have a friend who was a police officer, and is now a highway patrol reservist, and he echoes every other cop I've ever asked: The officer is choosing to light you up there, and that's his decision. Do not keep going to get under an overpass if it's raining, or to a more attractive piece of shoulder, that's HIS call. If he wants to stay dry, or doesn't like the idea of stopping where you are, he'll just pace you until he's happy with the location, and light you up after that. Just smoothly, and safely pull the car over, and do everything kastein says above. Do NOT go looking for your wallet or registration.

Last time I was pulled over I was on the upper deck of a split level freeway here in Austin. He was in the right lane, I was two lanes over in the fast lane doing 82ish in a 65. Didn't see him behind the big rig. He lit me up and I hit my flashers and slowed down. I then drove at about 60mph to the next exit and pulled into the first parking lot there. I was not going to pull over on the deck where there was no shoulder and endanger myself or this cop just doing his job. I knew I was wrong and was ready to accept the punishment.

I did the whole routine. Car off, window down, hands on wheel. When he came up the first thing I said was "I know I was speeding, officer. I'm sorry for not pulling over immediately but I thought it'd be safer for all if we got off the freeway. I know writing me up will take time and the shoulder on the upper deck is a dangerous place to be exposed."

He looked at me and actually said "Thank you for doing so. You're right about it being safer down here." I handed him my license and CHL as I'm supposed to do when asked. He looked at them and without even returning to his cruiser to run them said "Have a good morning and keep it safe out there."

So there are times where not pulling over immediately are acceptable to the cops.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Ulfhednar posted:

I don't use the suction cup, however, I just stuck one of the included 3M giant adhesive quick remove clips on there. Unfortunately the pad is bright white and sticks out like a sore thumb. I might just regularly sharpie the outside windshield and black it out.

Be careful with those slide in clips. I've broken 3 of them in 6 months just sliding the cam into and out of my window mount just like that.

GoPro's response? "Are you sure you aren't misusing them?"
Yeah, I fail at slidey-clippy. That's the problem.

Content:
Don't text and drive. If you do, please make sure it's in front of a nice police officer like this guy did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1vUL9dbqQ

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

I share a parking lot with inconsiderate jack-hole co-workers. I came out to my T-Bird Monday evening to find this in the passenger door.

It's about 15" long and down to the metal. Also the pressure against the door caused stress cracks to radiate through the paint all over. You can kind of see it on the left side of the first pic. No one fessed up. I spent an hour yesterday looking at every car in the lot looking for a matching paint transfer. No joy. Also, no working cameras in the lot. There's cameras, they just aren't functional. That helps. Company V.P. was like "That sucks..." and nothing more.

As it's a custom metal flake color I can't just run to Pep Boys for a touch up pen. Going to spend some time wet sanding and buffing to try to minimize it but it's still going to look like hell. A couple guys in the local club that do paint repair have offered to look closer at it this weekend during our cruise.

My rage was indescribable. It still is. How do you miss a 19 foot long bright red and chrome car sitting right next to you?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Raluek posted:

Ugh. If that was a less cool car my reaction would be "wow, man, that sucks bad." but that's The Thunderbird. poo poo.

Also, I agree with the other poster who mentioned that it didn't look like a car did the damage. It's too irregular. All the other parking lot scrapes I've seen have been very clean, I don't know how you'd get that much wiggling from someone grazing it with a bumper or something.

The thing is the parking is covered parking, against a building. There is zero foot traffic between the cars as there's no where to go but into a wall. I can't explain the slight rise that appears to occur either but there's no reason for handtrucks, dollies, or anything really to be passing next to the car. That's why I park there. Maybe, it was someone with a wheelied laptop bag but to cause the paint crazing away from the scratch they'd have to lean on it big time. There was also white paint transfer.

If it had happened on the road I'm pretty drat sure I'd have heard it. I also washed it the day before and the scratch wasn't there then. The only driving I'd done was to my mom's house and parked safely in her driveway then to work. There was no place where else the car was placed that could get hit.

Whatcha gonna do? I said when I bought it that I wasn't going to let it be a garage queen. I was going to use it. These are the things that happen when you actually use your car for more than sitting pretty at a car show. Still sucks though.

I'm checking the lot twice daily looking for possible suspects though. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Go Austin! The roads were worse last week but we wrecked more cars today.

http://www.kvue.com/news/EMS-reporting-crashes-in-Northwest-Austin-242369251.html

On my short five mile drive in to work at 8am I cross 5 bridges. There was an accident on 4 out of the 5. As I made my way down the freeway, I watched in amazement at the number of people that were doing just fine until they got to a bridge. When they saw the ice on the bridge that's when they'd tap the brake and loop the car into the rail.

It's not tough, people. Point the car in a straight line across the bridge, let off the gas a touch, and coast right on across. No problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

More examples of driving expertise from our friends in Alabama.

Donks on Ice. The newest extravaganza from the Ice Capades!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luH1eBDJ4Dw