Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Geoj posted:

What about people you share a parking lot with?

There's a set of shops near me that has a one-way system in its parking lot. Terrible loving idea, but that's what they've got and it's not quite wide enough to pass the inevitable fuckwit driving the wrong way through it. I've avoided it for years because I usually get blocked in by someone going the wrong way, but I had to go there the other day. They've tried. They really have.

They've installed a giant No Entry sign next to the exit, and a bollard and curb that means there's only just room for one car to exit. It has a solid fat white line painted across the exit, a painted arrow indicating the direction you're supposed to go every 20 feet, and a giant "one way, enter here" sign on the entry.

I was blocked in by the inevitable fuckwit driving through it the wrong way and yelling at me to back up. There were 4 other cars behind me, all going the right way, which he could clearly see.

I'm 100% certain that if they put those one-way tire spikes on the exit, they'd have to tow a couple of people a day out of there. People round here aren't usually awful drivers, so I don't know what the gently caress is up with this one place. Maybe 20 years ago it went the other way or was wider or something and everyone just failed to adapt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dude alternately tailgated my van and dropped back 200-400m every couple minutes for about 45 minutes on a straight, flat, boring rural Australian road with no other traffic and no impediment whatsoever to passing while my cruise was set to the speed limit the whole time. He'd sit about a meter off the bumper for maybe 60 seconds, I'd move over and wave him by, he'd do the exasperated "throw my hands in the air" gesture and back off before gradually creeping up again. He eventually blew past me 40 or 50km/h faster with his hand on the horn and his finger out the window which he could have done at practically any time in the previous three quarters of an hour.

Can't stress enough how straight, flat, and empty the road was. 3 cars from the other direction in that whole time, and there's one short (maybe a mile) stretch where there's some bends with double lines and you can't pass.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or the lady who removed the oil cap from her engine and tried to put her petrol in there.

My ex had already put coolant in her washers and was about to put washer fluid in her oil when I wandered past on my way to the beer fridge and did an actual double take followed by the palms out arms extended nononononono thing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just watched some absolute hero back into 45 degree forward angle parking in 20+ movements over several minutes. It's busy as hell and there's a median divider so I have zero loving idea how they're gonna get back out.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Today I watched the car in front of me fail to stay on their own side of the double lines on every single corner through the mountains. 45 minutes, didn't get it right once, and was still going slow enough that I, in a van full of boxed books, was starting to get pissed off about it even though I plan for a slow driver in front whenever I go that way. I mean, there's always a distracted tourist who drifts over the line a couple times and slows down to look at the view, or someone who's nervous about corners and parking it, or someone's who's overconfident and goes wide a few times, so whatever, no point getting stressed, just plan for it to take forever. But I've never seen anything like today's example before. Not one single time did they stay in the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Similar thing happened ages ago to my dad while he was driving. He was headed home on a 2 lane highway in the early hours in our 78 Monte Carlo, and a semi trailer in the other lane managed to lose 6-7 trailer tires at highway speeds. It was so dark out he didn't even see the tire that hit him until it was right on top. He was super lucky in that it rolled over the passenger side of the car. I can still vividly remember going to look at the car the next day, driver side looked almost perfect and passenger side was mangled.

I wrecked a work van by hitting a wheel that just shot sideways onto the highway out of loving nowhere at 11pm one night. I saw movement in my peripheral vision and had time to start lifting my foot off the gas and onto the brake, and then I was screeching to a halt with a wheel lodged under the van. Scared the absolute living poo poo out of me. They never found out where it came from and I got yelled at by my boss who assumed it must have just been lying there and that I wasn't paying enough attention even though the damage to the van showed that it was standing up when I hit it.