Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If there were ever a place for three-strikes sort of poo poo, DUIs are definitely it.

One, sure, rehab and an interlock for a year. Two is pushing it. Three, you don't need to be on the road again or have access to alcohol ever.

My uncle just got his fourth DUI, fortunately damaging only his own truck and a telephone pole. Another guy my dad used to work with has had FIVE. None of these were bogus "sleeping in your car while drunk" DUIs. There is no excuse for this poo poo.

The even more depressing punchline? Uncle drinks because his son died. In a crash with a drunk driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't care how biased it sounds, I don't trust a single driver with a disabled parking pass hanging from their rearviewmirror

I don't know if it's confirmation bias or just them being out front and obvious but it seems like it's always the disabled placard people who park like complete fucks in the designated spaces. It's like they just decide that the marked space + loading area next to it is theirs to use as they please so they go all diagonal or whatever.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Someone around here DDs this thing.

WHY

The worst part is that there's more than one of them in the city, and that one is the less douchey one. The other one has "zombie hunter" spraypainted on the bumpers.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

People with pomeranians are usually insane. It's a symptom. Fortunately they tend to be unhealthy little inbred fuckers like pugs and die off relatively quickly.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My favorite part of my last driving job was that "sorry, I was driving" was an ironclad excuse for ignoring your phone at any time during working hours.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The mountain passes here can be declared snow tire or chain only if conditions warrant, there's obviously some sort of mechanism for checking the tires aside from "are there studs".

I have never regretted dropping the $200 on a set of used snow tires as soon as I could afford it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Militant horse riders are ten times worse than militant cyclists.

At least bikes don't drop cubic feet of poo poo behind them in the middle of the roadway.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Eskaton posted:

You can't actually control the bowel movements of a horse. Also, where do you live that people are riding horses on trafficked roads?

You can carry a shovel and a garbage bag like dog walkers have to.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I've stopped trying to parallel park, because every time I do somebody pulls an inch from my bumper and waits for me to do whatever the gently caress they think I'm doing other than parallel parking.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm starting to hate this intersection:

Cars coming from the north, west, and east have stop signs. Cars coming from the south do not. I assume this is because they don't want cars backed up across the railroad tracks (but somehow the light going the other direction doesn't cause the same problem?) but the result is an infinite supply of cars turning left without having to stop making it impossible for anyone else to cross the intersection.

Why is this in this thread? Because half of them are retards who don't use their signals, so you think someone is going straight until you enter the intersection and they almost ram into you and honk like you're at fault for going.

I'm starting to think that the best investment in traffic infrastructure today would be building a time machine and implementing selective breeding in the 50s.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Earplugs make long drives so much nicer. They filter out engine + wind noise but let music through if you turn it up. Not really worth it for short drives within a city but on the highway it's great.

I started doing this after I realized my ears were ringing for a good 20 minutes after a shift driving a big diesel rig, but it helps in a car too.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

No disabled parking permit + sauntered into the store on two legs. If someone has a permit but walks, or has no permit but pulls crutches out of the back seat or something, whatever. But having neither permit nor visible impairment to walking plus that park job spells "lazy entitled piece of poo poo"

Bonus points: Kept the last cashier past closing because he felt very strongly that whatever the hell he needed to buy at 4:59 cost too much.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The crotch rocket crowd bothers me less than the Harley crowd who feel that no muffler and just BRAAAAAAAAAAAP down a residential street at night is an acceptable thing to do ever. gently caress those goddamned things.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I, for one, will be more willing to move to the right every time someone behind me is unsatisfied by my speed of a mere 5 over the posted limit IF these same people actually step on the god damned gas and pass me, instead of inching forward at 1 mph faster than I was going and trapping me behind a truck.

I know you want to do 70 and my cruising at 69 is holding you back. But can you do 75 for fifteen seconds so I'm not slowed down to 55 because there's an RV in the right lane?

The same people who do this are probably the ones who will roar past you on the right at 95 like a dragster. Just learn to do that in the LEFT lane and poo poo is good!

Javid fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 29, 2016

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Dickheads parking in the bike lane. Always.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah, moving right so not-turning cars can pass you is a totally acceptable use of a bike lane.

PARKING in the loving thing should be handled by summary executions. Not only are they blocking the entire bike lane but usually a big chunk of the regular lane too since bike lanes are almost always whatever piddly 18 inches of asphalt was left over when they blocked out whatever other lanes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There's a school here that loves dropping those stupid neon running child signs across the lanes. Those I kick over whenever possible.

Really, whoever decided to put the middle school and its cafeteria on opposite sides of an arterial road should be euthanized.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Today I watched a spandex-clad ~cyclist~ stack up cars behind him by taking the middle of the lane, with a dedicated bike path six feet off the roadway that he was ignoring. Fucks like this are why people hate bikes :|

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This is a no-poo poo bike path, easily wide enough for a car (ambulance) to drive down. Zero driveways within a mile of the spot I saw the jackass. If you'd choose the lane over it you're definitely in the right thread.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

nm posted:

Can you show it on google maps?
I'm willing accept that there was a safe path, but what looks safe to motorists often isn't safe.

It's newer than the imagery here. And I bike there a lot so I'm not just some driver saying this poo poo.

e: gaze upon the gravel they laid down before paving it if you want. Street view is even older.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4346838,-123.0853974,102m/data=!3m1!1e3

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Also squatting a lane at 15 in a 55 should be grounds for summary execution no matter how right you think you are, in case you're confused

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Horse people vs. mountain bikers is a hot war on the trails around here. At least the bikes don't drop mountainous turds in the middle of the trail.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Build decent bike paths off the road first and that might actually be not a joke.

e: there is a nice market for 49.9cc or whatever 2-stroke engines you can strap onto a mountain bike to make a ghetto moped which I find amazingly hilarious, if you're willing to trade lots of leg burns for 150 mpg @ 30 mph

Javid fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 6, 2016

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

~cyclists~ like that guy are why people assume the worst about anyone on a bike.

A vehicle only capable of 15 mph does not belong on a 35+ road. Limping a car to a shop or safe place to tow it is an exception, but doing it on purpose just to piss people off is not.

The lack of safe bike paths is a genuine issue that needs to be addressed but that is not a valid excuse to turd up a major roadway.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

gently caress knows what the law is wherever that came from, but why is that car nosing out in the middle of a traffic jam like that? Either it's an intersection and everyone is just blocking the box, or it's a driveway or something and that was a very ill-advised maneuver.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm guessing impatient because he didn't just rear end the other car, he actively stopped and then resumed accelerating into the guy in a fit of rage

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

OR is another state that explicitly makes the right-arm-right-turn a valid signal. And if there were no officially recognized signals people (who bother with such niceties) would probably be pointing the direction they were turning anyway.

A "don't pass me" signal for non-emergency vehicles, were it even to be implemented, would be about as likely to be applied judiciously as the "high importance" flag on e-mails, and equally likely to be paid attention to as a result.

gently caress that guy.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

On the grand totem pole of vehicular douchery, sitting in a space you can legally use for longer than you strictly NEED to doesn't amount to much.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The Locator posted:

The problem with making the arms mandatory at *all* crossings, is that it would cost a ridiculous amount of money, as there are probably millions of level crossings in the US alone out in nowhereseville, and even if it was mandated, I doubt that the railroads have the ability to come up with the amount of money required

Oh no, those poor billion-dollar corporations, having to shell out for proper safety equipment instead of just putting down a stop sign they know everyone will ignore and going "lolnotourproblem"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

kastein posted:

Oh come on, both of you. You know how many dinky little dirt roads cross tracks through farmland in the Middle Of loving Nowhere? No way do those need a crossing guard of any sort. In some cases they need to put a crossing guard/arms up in some places where there aren't any right now, sure, but saying they should be forced to put one up at every tiny road in Bumfuck Egypt Oklahoma that sees 0.5 cars per hour (farmers who own both sides of the track driving a tractor over it from one field to another) and a train every 3 days most assuredly do not require $20k in equipment added.

Well, no. If a crossing gets almost zero traffic of any kind it probably doesn't need anything. But if it does get enough traffic to warrant any sort of warning, just slapping a stop sign in the middle of a 55 mph backroad and washing their hands of the issue - forcing every vehicle that drives through there during the 6 days, 23 hours, and 45 minutes a week a train ISN'T crossing to grind to a halt - is unacceptable. A static stop sign where there's almost never a reason to stop diminishes the significance of the sign and teaches drivers to ignore it and blow through, as well, so it's largely useless anyway.

People who actively maneuver around crossing guards and get creamed deserve to be removed from the gene pool, though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Jared592 posted:

What is "a sufficient level of stupidity" that is acceptable to be deserving of death, though? I suspect that we've all had moments of stupidity that could've gotten us killed and subsequently mocked for multiple pages in this thread (perhaps a fate worse than death :rip:).

Edit: I know you were just being flippant, but I see a lot of this "bwah stupid people should die I'd never be like this bad stupid person" stuff and it's always a laugh because none of us are above lapses of brain-boiling idiocy.

Actively driving around crossing guards and onto a train track certainly passes whatever stupidity test one could care to implement.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Kudos to the people driving German that we do not notice. At least we don't have to dodge Mustangs peeling out of coffee shops.

Because why wait a couple of minutes (from Stockholm Sweden dashcammer user/thedll1/ )

I don't get it. Did you post this because he's using a left-side pump with a right-side filler hatch? Besides the fact that it reaches and he's not inconveniencing anybody else, lots of gas stations specifically tell you that you can do that instead of worrying about getting in the "correct" line and wasting time. Who cares?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Bikes-as-cars is a terrible kludge that only exists because the U.S. has poo poo for bicycle infrastructure. Shoving a "vehicle" capable of cruising at 15 mph max onto a shoulderless 55 mph road sucks for everyone involved and just makes both groups hate each other, but plunking down a "share the road" sign and saying you Did Something is cheaper than widening the asphalt by six feet and actually making it usable for that purpose.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

"Make turns like everyone else" and then get plowed by a texting soccer mom who didn't expect anything smaller than an Escalade to be in the road and floored it as soon as they thought the intersection was clear. Whereas people are actually (ideally) looking for human-sized objects in the crosswalk. Applying car rules to bikes without any adjustment for the real differences that exist is moronic.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

It doesn't matter. My state has thousands of miles of perfectly paved bike trails with lines painted that wind through beautiful areas and next to rivers. They all still ride on the streets.

I fully agree that obnoxious fucks like that are as much a part of the problem as anyone else.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

We'll just cycle (heh) back to arguing about speeding next, or something.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A path to literally anywhere worth going that doesn't involve cars whizzing past at 50 mph++ inches from me would be ideal.

I don't get how dudes can be like "that paved separated bike path sucks, I'm taking the lane anyway". Having any sort of attempt at a bike lane at all is like 90th percentile in the US, shut the gently caress up and use it so they make more of them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A freeway shoulder is downright luxurious compared to the poo poo they have on most of these roads.

But we get a sign!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Are you sure it wasn't