Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Colonel Sanders posted:

Also, what is up with LA and on ramps? The last time I was there, I remember seeing a ramp with a light at the end that would flash from red to green, I had no loving clue what that meant. It seemed like it would be red for 5 seconds, green for 1 second, I remember the pattern was really short. What am I supposed to do to not be an rear end in a top hat if I am ever in LA again? Do those lights actually work to improve traffic?

They are supposed to smooth the traffic coming onto freeways during heavy traffic periods. They nearly never do. Often they just back up traffic on the surface streets leading to the on ramp.

The on ramp lights are often:
1. On when traffic on the freeway is light
2. "meter on" light is on while the red/green meter light is actually off
3. Off when freeway traffic is heavy
4. Light on when the "meter on" light is off

Add in that most drivers have no clue how to deal with them. Carpool lanes are often exempt from stopping, but drivers always stop for it. If it's a "two car per lane per green" light, there will never be two going through. It's either one or three.

LA is such a patchwork of signal and road types, and rules that the best thing that could happen is a big 9.0 earthquake destroys a large part of the road infrastructure and we have to start over with everything standardized. Several freeways are so bad that they need to be shut down and rebuilt from the ground up instead of being patched together every 5-10 years.

ltr fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU