Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Those single spoke steering wheels make me feel vaguely uncomfortable when I look at them. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Next time you're out driving take a moment to notice how many people are driving around with their center brake lights out.

So. Many. :kheldragar:

How?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dead Cow posted:

I failed my test (California) the first time for "coming out of a complete stop in 2nd gear". I didn't come to a complete stop at all, the light had turned green well before I got to the intersection, and my car wouldn't even go into first because I was going too fast (I took it out of gear to get ready to put it into first for the stop, the light turned green, it wouldn't go into first so I put it back into second)

Pretty sure the lady didn't want to do the test, she looked like Mimi from the drew carey show.

Second time I was going 45 in a 40, took turns too wide, and passed just fine. That was the first time I'd ever driven the full sized boat car that I took the test in.

A friend of mine took his driver's test in a Honda Accord 5 speed and failed for "shifting too late" when (according to him) he shifted at 2.5-3K. He retook the test in an automatic car and passed easily. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

How about when it goes from single lane to passing lane and the fucker that was doing 50 is now doing 75 so you can't pass in the safe passing zone, and then they drop back down to 50 when it's two lane again.

This won me an involuntary $150 donation to the State Police a few weeks back. I was behind a Ford Escape that was doing anywhere from +5 over the speed limit to -10 under seemingly randomly (use your cruise control people I know you have it) and when my side of the highway opened up to two lanes I threw it down a gear and booted it past the guy...

...right when a state trooper comes over the hill in the other lane. I must have got his attention because he threw on the anchors and flipped a bitch right there. I knew he had me so I dropped back behind the Escape and pulled over. I'm sure the Escape driver was amused, at least.

71 in a 55. :suicide: loving stupid and I was surprised myself. I usually cruise at around 60, I promise.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

I had a chat with a state trooper last summer for the same reason, mountain road, some cowboy in his pickup drifting between five over and ten under. I put up with it until a passing chance opened up, out my foot down and as soon as I crossed lanes I saw the cruiser about a quarter mile ahead. He pulled over, let me pass, then flipped on the roof lights.

He must've liked my story because I got off with a warning,

Yeah the guy was kind of a dick to be honest* but eh 16 over is a bit much. Lesson learned. :shobon:

Actually after I drove off some guy in a Mazda 3 flew past me and next thing I know the same trooper was whipping around me to pull him over. He was really working that particular stretch of highway that day I guess.

*He had asked me if I knew how fast I was going and before I could form an answer/excuse he told me the guy I was passing was doing 61 so I didn't need to pass him since he was already doing over the speed limit. I'm not sure what the radar/lidar technology is these days but I didn't know they could tag two oncoming vehicles within a second or two.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 7, 2014

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

I'll occasionally flash my lights to try and get people out of the left lane, but :effort:

I stopped doing this because no one knows what it means anyway and it really pisses some people off. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

nsaP posted:

Last summer was real tempting when people started driving with their windows down. I'd be out riding and see the typical 'distracted driver' ahead and eventually end up next to them at a light, only to see their face full of phone. I really wanted to just grab it and chuck it off the road, then take off. I actually considered grabbing it and tossing it in their passenger seat. In reality I just mime talking on a phone and swerve around my lane and hope that it gets thru, provided they've looked away from the phone.

Technology is advancing much faster than the legislation (who's surprised there?) too. Apparently people think driving while wearing Google Glass is acceptable :downs:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

All that single-pane glass :cry:

Possible :nws: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/7343022218/in/set-72157626646768526/ I hope that's a wig. :stare:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 28, 2014

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

leica posted:

Seriously dude? Have you seen the dash cam videos from other countries? Road rage isn't just a national phenomenon.

Yeah. Bad driving always has been and always will be a global phenomenom and I bet a lot of us are more guilty than we let on. :v: There's always someone going "I'm never driving in Russia huuuhhh!" on the dashcam vids but it's only 'cause of the prevalence of dashcams over there in the first place we even get to see these driving experts.

If every car in Alabama was fitted with a dash cam I guarantee YouTube's "Alabama Car Crash" channel would be horrifying.

(I picked a random state, no offense to anyone here from AL :))

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Vindolanda posted:

Wish :rice: came in a reversing version.

Here you go. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Uthor posted:

Related to my earlier post about slow fucks in the left lane and all this new talk about trucks:
You get one truck passing another (Illinois, so no hills getting in the way) and a few cars get stuck behind. Once the truck finishes the pass, but before he can get back to the right, someone always gets impatient and passes the truck on the right. The truck doesn't move over because now there is a car there, another driver gets pissed, and passes on the right. Rinse and repeat.

This. Oh god this every single loving day.

I always mentally picture IntercepterV8s avatar when it happens "Right Side Suicide :kheldragar:"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A couple of years ago they put in a roundabout near where I work that I go through every day. It's been around long enough that most people don't really have that much problem with it now but there is something about it that I've always thought was off:

Overhead view: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1118574,-94.158008,142m/data=!3m1!1e3

Street view approaching the roundabout from the north side from the expressway exit: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.112598,-94.158442,3a,75y,151.5h,82.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slXYMaYYdQDcizEFIshDZgg!2e0

The problem I see is that according to the sign you can make a left from either the outside or inside lane. This creates an obvious cross/collsion point, right? Not to mention that I see people cutting the lanes inside/outside at random, though with all the dashed lines it's a bit ambiguous if that's how it's intended to be done or not.

Is this roundabout poorly designed or am I an Idiot on the Road? :downs:

Edit: Going to work I approach this from the north, enter the roundabout in the left/inside lane, and exit at North Hills Blvd in the left lane.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 16, 2015

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

eriddy posted:

Is it illegal to accelerate quickly? Like if you floor it from a red light (without spinning your tires or screeching) and you don't go over the speed limit of the road can you be pulled over?

I got pulled over for this several years ago. I was driving home from picking a girlfriend up from work and was just bored/dumb enough to really get on it leaving a light when I noticed the car in the left turn lane suddenly switch lanes to follow me. Then the blue lights came on.

Only got a warning, though. I'm fairly sure I never actually hit 40mph which is the speed limit on the road I was on.

I was in my '95 Toyota Previa, too. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I always use the parking brake even when driving an automatic because I hate that stupid little lurch/roll an automatic car will do when you take your foot off the brake while it's only in P. :shobon:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

9 and 3 fo' lyfe. :colbert:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

From the annals of "What did you think was going to happen? :confused:"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I used to try to use flash-to-pass but it got me flipped off and brake checked more times than it had it's desired effect. Nobody in America* understands it as "please let me pass" and therefore interprets it as "gently caress THIS GUY FLASHING HIS loving LIGHTS AT ME!" I used to try to be really good about never passing on the right and allowing people plenty of time to move over but now if I have a gap to get around a left lane dawdler I take it. I still don't pass trucks on the right, though.

*At least in Arkansas.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

I read somewhere once that a four way stop improves flow up to a point, but I don't see it myself. Pick whichever road gets more cars and get rid of their stop signs, leaving them in for the cross street.

If that doesn't work drop in some proper traffic lights or a roundabout.

This is my armchair traffic engineering of the week.

Yeah honestly gently caress four-way stops. I go out of my way to not have to deal with this intersection:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0485465,-94.1808229,228m/data=!3m1!1e3

Four lanes north/south and east. At night time or during heavy traffic (look at the stadiums nearby) it's basically thunderdome.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

whiteprivilege.jpg

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

According to the imgur comments, apparently I'm in the wrong for...using the passing lane to pass a truck? Not giving the cop an opening to get into the passing lane? :shrug:

Imgur commenters probably want you to immediately pull over and blow the cop and let him finish in your maga hat.

Alternatively a lot of "left lane is for PASSING!!11" people really get mad even if you're actively passing traffic and just not driving as fast as they want to drive.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Geoj posted:

I think the biggest issue in Ohio is the terrible condition of the roads owing to this being a red state, with predictable politics/policies.

Recently ODOT pretty much said if nothing is done in the near future we're going to have a major road crisis in the next few years.

Predictably, the state house is quibbling over raising the gas tax by a whole dime, which is down from the initially proposed $0.185 cent hike. And even if it passes we'll likely be back in the same boat in 5-10 years because they dropped pegging the gas tax to inflation.

Gas taxes are regressive as gently caress tho

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Backing into spots is safer and there's a reason most fleets train their drivers to back in when possible.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

In my area the bigger problem with buses are people passing them on the shoulder/sidewalks while they're stopped because Americans are loving antisocial psychopaths these days. See:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fornax Disaster posted:

The police broke up a meet of street racers on the weekend and in addition to the expected BMWs and 350zs they impounded a Buick Roadmaster!

hell yeah state sponsored theft owns

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Also why the gently caress would they need to keep the car as "evidence." Either you caught the driver street racing or you didn't what is having the car going to prove.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tesla is so goddamn stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

slidebite posted:

My aggressive/rear end in a top hat driver index which is 98.39% accurate, 19 times out of 20 and not with a single shred of confirmation bias:

Bro-trucks
Audis
VWs
BMWs
Large 'statement" SUVs

All of the above have a further +25 likelihood if there is something "jesus" related somewhere as window sticker

Mazdas. I think the zoom-zoom marketing must have gone to people's heads because I see more aggro Mazdas than any other Japanese make.

Not me of course I am a perfect driver.