Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You don't know what to do, you go to an expert. The problem comes with people who think they know something.

I'll agree with this statement. When I worked at a car audio shop for a few years, we had so many people come back with blown subs from turning the gain up to the max on their amps that we had to put a sign up about it. You could tell who they were just by the first sentence out of their mouths. "Well, I was adjusting my amp, and the next thing I knew, the subs blew out!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
With LED lighting making great progress in the automotive industry, why can't we have constant-on lights all the time? You can't really say "well the bulbs would burn out faster" because LED lights last dramatically longer than other types of bulbs. I hate people that drive at dusk/dawn/night-time with only DRLs on almost as much as I hate people who refuse to turn their lights on when it's raining. With always-on lights you'd kill two very dangerous birds with one stone.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Why am I seeing more and more people driving their cars at night with no lights on? Yeah, the city I live in is well-lit at night for the most part, but that's still no excuse. :argh:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

People there rarely see temps below 30. When the roads ice over & it sprinkles a tiny bit of snow, people freak the gently caress out and it's like hell trying to get anywhere.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Earbuds so you don't hear all those annoying cars, duh.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Verdugo posted:

Insanity on the Gulf Coast last night. I went with my son to pick up some furniture in a box truck, we had no trouble getting there and back, but good lord. We saw no less than four accidents on the way home, one a three-car fatality. We got home, unloaded, and left the truck in front of the house because with no accidents there was physically no way to bring the truck back to where it needed to go, as all routes were shut off due to accidents.

Woke up this morning and found out further down the highway there was a 47 car pileup.

http://www.sunherald.com/2014/01/24/5284048/officials-warn-drivers-of-icy.html

Part of the problem? Roads iced up, counties didn't bother buying salt / sand because it's the gulf coast and it never gets cold.

I'm so glad I moved out of there just in time. I used to travel on I-10E/W a lot from Mississippi to Louisiana and back, and just daily driving on there was enough to get me pissed every time I drove. People doing 90 in the fast lane and 50 in the slow lane, people cutting each other and semis off, no taillights at night, and so on. I could only imagine the insanity a thin sheet of ice on the road would add to it. At least people around here know how to drive (for the most part, anyhow) during snow & ice since it happens every year. also, the salt trucks here are awesome in how quick they get out.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Tha Chodesweller posted:

It probably doesn't help that I'm also a computer science major. But seriously, having a tiny rear end Honda with a train horn sounds like a great idea. Maybe I am the people you share a road with?

There have been many days where I wished I had one. I might actually put a small one on the Infiniti. Seems no one sees that car.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's like this in CT too. Anything more than a drizzle and the lines vanish. Why they're not at least reflective paint is beyond me.

Down south they use Bott's dots a lot to mark the lines, but up here they'd all be pulled up with the first snow plow and probably take a chunk of asphalt with them.

I came in here to ask about this. The roads around here are decently maintained for the most part. The paint looks fresh and it's very visible any time it's not raining. The first time it gets dark and rainy though, you're screwed. Is this something to do with the type of paint they use?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
They had a problem with cars and the crosswalks at the old downtown square here in Bowling Green. It's a historic area with a lot of bars. Mix that with being in a college town and you can imagine the kind of problems that arise. To fix it, the crosswalk now has signs that light up and lights throughout the road itself so people know when it's safe to cross.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Yesterday I was taking a friend to her house when I approached a car in the middle of the road, stopped about 75 feet back from a stop-sign. I honked at them to let them know they were blocking traffic both ways. The driver appeared to be rummaging through her purse while on her cellphone and just waved at me to pass. Not a huge deal since there's not a ton of traffic through there. Well, I found out this morning via my girlfriend that said car is now across the road from the stop-sign, resting above a ditch. And now there's a cop car sitting there waiting for the driver to come back. I just want to know what caused her to haul rear end across the road and then abandon her car... :iiam:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Dear Corvette owners: Yes, you drive a quick sports car that is usually the dream of every American pubescent teenage boy. However, just because you paid $40,000+ for your car does not mean you can block both lanes of traffic with said car; while the rest of us wait for your geriatric rear end to finish taking that picture of the Corvette Museum. And this happens every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
So I've made probably around 25-30 million screws for Nissan in the past 6-7 months with an "E" on top of the screw. Anyone in the Nissan workforce can tell me where my screws are ending up? If you need pics I can post a few.