Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know the old guys said that you had to own a flashy muscle car or something to attract the ladies.

The hilarious thing about this statement is that flashy cars attract way more attention from men than from women. After all, how often do you see women pull out their cellphones to take pictures of Ferraris and Lambos (or classic muscle cars, for that matter)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Women do notice your car, but low slung 2 seater sports cars are largely a turn off. A Range Rover, on the other hand, :getin: It's a near perfect signal for "My boyfriend is both financially secure, or at least willing to invest in my lifestyle, and/or is a ASE master tech."

I don't know if I would even agree with that. It could be, perish the thought, that women have as wide and varying tastes in cars as men do...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dear Motorists,

It's snowing now, and that means your vehicle is likely covered in the stuff. That means it is time to CLEAN YOUR loving VEHICLE OFF, INCLUDING THE ROOF. That means you too, chucklefucks in minivans, SUVs and lifted pick-ups.

That is all.:tipshat:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

They didn't take any hints when I downshifted several times, just crawled further up my muffler. They finally took a hint after 3 brake checks - then zoomed around me only to get caught behind someone going even slower. It was amusing watching them zig zag between lanes trying to pass me, except they fell further and further back every time they changed lanes. I was in the left lane, but it was still the fastest moving lane (at 55 in a 60), so... :smuggo:

Sorry dude, but while I agree that tailgaters are assholes, brake-checking someone makes you an even bigger rear end in a top hat. Passive-aggressive bullshit like that has no place on the road, no matter how good it makes you feel.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cage posted:

No, the tailgater is still the bigger rear end in a top hat. They're the ones that cause 90% of the accidents that slow down my drive to work. Stop following so closely!

How is is that "taking an already risky situation and deliberately making it far worse" isn't being the bigger rear end in a top hat? By brake-checking someone, especially in heavy traffic, your desire to teach someone a lesson is endangering everyone else on the road. In fact just this afternoon, some psycho bitch in a minivan brake-tested someone four or five cars ahead of me. By the time it was my turn to slow down, I had to threshold brake (on dry pavement, no less) to avoid an accident, and the person behind me had to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting me...this even after maintaining a relatively normal following distance.

If you think brake-checking someone is appropriate at any time, you can go gently caress yourself.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cage posted:

Why would you brake check someone in heavy traffic? Tale-gating is expecting in that situation, and in the situation you described you were following too closely.

Like I said, I was maintaining a following distance about as long as you can manage in heavy traffic. You and I and everybody else knows that it is essentially impossible to maintain a two-second following distance in heavy traffic, so you do the best you can. All the more reason why you shouldn't brake-check people. Seiously, how hard is it to understand "Don't brake-check anyone ever"?

Here's an idea...if someone is tailgating, just avoid the situation and move over; how hard is that???

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 22, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cage posted:

I dunno, don't tailgate if you don't want to be brake checked, I guess it happens to you a lot?

As a general rule, no I don't tailgate, now stop being an Internet tough-guy and think about what I said...about the whole "endangering other motorists on the road". I'm not excusing tailgaters and their behaviour even slightly...it is totally unacceptable at any time and I wish there was a way that they could enforce that law even slightly. But to go and make an already bad situation worse is the height of idiocy.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

This is making the rounds, but yeah it's funny (and probably not real)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The truck driver in the last clip swears like a true Canadian...in both official languages. :canada:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

In the last couple of weeks, I have formulated a hypothesis about identifying bad drivers before they have a chance of doing something stupid near you:

If you see a car with those stick-on aftermarket bubble mirrors, give them a wide berth.

Discuss.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I'm amazed you haven't just bought a Euro mirror glass for it, then.

It's outrageously expensive.

E: Holy poo poo I just looked it up - $426 on ECSTuning for the glass, one side only...that's even more outrageous than I thought!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 4, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Geoj posted:

You probably shouldn't go by what ECS charges for anything, their whole business model appears to be "overcharge outrageously for everything."

Even shipping. They wanted $25 to ship me some headlight wires that would fit in an envelope and I live less than 20 minutes away from them (wouldn't do local pickup either.)

I don't know, I've always had good luck with ECS :shrug: 3/4 of the time they have the cheapest prices and they're almost always the cheapest to ship to me, even if I forget to choose the "don't rape me with brokerage fees kthx" shipping option.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

sloshmonger posted:

Just an average commute in Los Angeles.

Not shown: Complete lack of break lights or signals

I might be talking a bit too much sense here, but why not put the old, disgusting water heater, you know, inside the van?

Fake Edit: Don't want to get rusty water all over your mobile rape dungeon carpet. That would be gross!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

NoWake posted:

I couldn't believe anyone would design such a thing, but lo and behold:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Calg...2,12.65,,0,8.91

Oh hey, those are all of my company's crossing panels, looks like they're holding up well! :D

Oh, that intersection. I can feel the veins popping out of my forehead just looking at it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kastein posted:

I saw something today. :stare:

You know that the only reason why the rear window is mostly uncovered is because he's afraid that the cops FEMA the black helicopters will give him a ticket send him to a camp give him a "heart attack".

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Driving into work just now and all of a sudden, I got a whiff of raw gasoline in my car, which got worse and worse as I drove along. Since I drive a BMW, I automatically assumed the worst and thought I had sprung a major fuel leak under the hood (wouldn't be the first time it happened, sadly). Turns out, it wasn't me leaking anything; as I moved through traffic, looking for a place to pull over safely, all of a sudden, I heard a car up ahead that sounded like it had a MASSIVE misfire...I could hear it over the blower, the stereo and the wind noise at highway speed it was so bad. This dumb kid and his girlfriend in a VW Jetta was merrily going up the highway running on three cylinders. Last I saw he was heading out of town, almost twenty kilometres from when I first smelled him. :gonk:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A few years ago I was driving to work and saw this IMMENSE cloud of diesel smoke. I followed it to its source, believing it to be a Dodge Ram rollin' coal.

Nope, Mk3 Jetta TDI with a blown turbo. So blown, in fact, that I could hear shrieking bearings and grinding noises from four blocks away.

I saw something similar to that just last week too...or rather, I smelled it before I saw it. Nothing like the choking smell of motor oil burnt in a diesel engine. And wouldn't you know it, it was a Mk5 Jetta TDI, just like today's offender (although today's was a 2.0T).

I genuinely wonder how far that kid got now...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I hate poo poo like this because thanks to years of driving cars that can/do leak often, my initial reaction is to assume that yes, it's my car pissing whatever fluid I'm smelling.

Tell me about it. I'm especially paranoid about coolant smell, or anything that might even be remotely close to coolant smell, what with my Goddamned Cooling System.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 15, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cage posted:

I dont see an issue unless someone hits you.

that's...THAT'S NOT HOW PHYSICS WORKS! :argh:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Saw a couple of good ones today.

Got tailgated by a dude in a Dodge Ram driven by a guy who had his left forearm draped completely over the steering wheel - like his elbow was at the 11 o'clock position. Added to that he had a serious lean to the centre of his vehicle going on.

Also had a dude yell at me in a playground zone for passing him on a two-lane road, even though I was doing less than the limit (and he was doing a lot less than that), and in a line of four vehicles that also passed him. What really got me was after he did that he sped off - through the same playground zone - doing at least 50 km/h (20 over the limit) and repassing everyone who just went past him.

I mean I know you aren't supposed to pass anyone in a playground zone, but at the same time if you're doing 15 km/h you need to gently caress right off.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Is this aimed at me? I don't object to school zones in general, but 14 hours per day, 365 days per year is significantly than "a couple of hours per day." Slowing down when school is actually in session makes perfect sense, and I observe school zones religiously (and don't overtake in them!). It also makes good sense to slow down to 30 km/h when you see children walking or playing in a residential area anyway, whether there's a zone or not.

You realise that they're changing everything to playground zones because there are something like sixty different school schedules being followed by the public, catholic and separate boards, right? Meaning, it's damned near impossible to know what a "school day" (as printed on the sign) is and what isn't. This way, there is no ambiguity.

I'm sorry you can't rip through that school-zone-turned-playground-zone you need to negotiate to buy the overpriced cheese and cigars you use to pretend to be some sort of sophisticate.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

There's already no ambiguity. On the days when the flag outside the school is flying, school is in session, and you must do the school zone speed during the appointed hours. The hours were already the same, it's just a matter of which days they are in effect.

I also especially enjoy being lectured on school zone etiquette by the poster who admitted, mere pages ago, to literally passing someone in a school zone. But I'm sure that wasn't dangerous at all.

The flag flying is not an indication of when school is in session or not, actually.

And I'm sure you're such an angel that you've NEVER done anything illegal on the roads. Christ you've got your head so far up your rear end you're probably licking your own tonsils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

So, I have confirmed that you do need to pre-pay for gas both in Alberta and BC.

What are you talking about? The overwhelming majority of gas stations in Alberta don't require pre-pay.