Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

How are these dash cams wired? Do you run a wire through the headliner to a cigarette lighter socket somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Just needs a wide load banner on the back end and some load-edge marker flags, IMO.

Looks like he has one but it's dirty as poo poo

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Ever since the first freeze, the railroad crossing gates in my area haven't worked right. The one outside my office was down and signalling for about 36 hours, the cops left an unattended car with the lights going in front of it, and after not very long people were driving around the cruiser and snaking through the gates to get by. Apparently it was enough of a mess that the solution was to disable the gates entirely, at least for a few days. I had the joy of riding the train this weekend, and got to see the workaround: the train stops at every crossing, one conductor gets out and walks into the street trying to wave down the cars, and once it looks clear, the train pulls out. They're not given a vest, a flag, a sign, little flashlights with glowy cones, nothing.

On one intersection someone came peeling around the corner just as the train had started moving, and had the nerve to honk at the moving train as they sped in front of it. drat near hit the conductor, too.

This seems to happen with some frequency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhKOHRpOvI

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

This happened to me yesterday.

Incident area:

I'm in the turn lane to turn left. This Buick SUV is in the right lane. They have their left blinker on. I assume they wish to merge, but they don't. They drive straight into that clearly marked right turn lane, without stopping, and make a left turn.

The woman driving the car was about as you'd expect - mid forties, overweight, and on the phone. I don't know what it is about these people that makes them drive so shittily, but, hey, Colorado drivers I guess.

what the hell is that middle lane supposed to be for?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Getting behind semis in winter is pretty scary. They really have no way to get on top of the trailer so you wind up with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIOo9BEou1Y

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I've thought about having a tarp sort of thing that goes over the roof of the trailer (put on before snow fall) and has heating elements, much like the rear defroster in your car so the snow can just sorta melt and fall off while you're pre-tripping and warming the truck up.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

All this talk about explosions reminds me of a trucker hauling propane near indianapolis rolled his truck over and it promptly exploded

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

My CDL test consisted of the air brake test, full inspection, standard maneuvering (parallel parking, moving straight back and forth) and then a trip around the block (it was a big block, including a dual lane state highway). Ended with me taking a tight right back into the BMV (hitting a curb is an auto fail so this is actually pretty tricky).

The full inspection on the CDL test is a bitch. Luckily I wasn't doing a combination vehicle so there were only 80-odd items to point out, instead of 127 or so. The fear of having to memorize that poo poo again is what keeps me renewing my CDL despite not driving a commercial vehicle in almost 3 years.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

No gear changes in the intersection

Buses have this, but for railroad tracks. The bus I drove was an automatic, so I had to just sorta creep along at 1000 rpm because the "no shifting over railroad tracks" includes automatics :psyduck:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Das Volk posted:

Driving a full size RV at freeway speeds is scary and requires a lot of skill and concentration.

Especially when you get passed by a semi and the wake created makes the RV veer to the right.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I honestly found larger box trucks easier to drive than RVs. RVs tend to have really soft, boat-like suspension so the wind causes all sorts of weird poo poo. Box trucks, while still giant sails, at least resist the wind a tiny bit.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

is this him? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVrnd9V7sk

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

0rganDonor posted:

To you and any other person reading this thread; The engine brakes don't turn on the brake lights.

:getin:

they did on my buses :\

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Devyl posted:

Why am I seeing more and more people driving their cars at night with no lights on? Yeah, the city I live in is well-lit at night for the most part, but that's still no excuse. :argh:

instrument clusters that light up with the lights off

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Safe passing is for casuals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEcbXgD9gbM

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I used to drive buses for a university and there was a campus-wide rumor that if you got hit by a bus you'd get your tuition paid for. So, naturally not many people really gambled for it (it also wasn't true and when people told me I told them they'd be dead and I'd have a lot of paperwork to fill out) but it did seem to encourage large groups of people to just walk in front of the buses because they know we'd stop. Certain crosswalks had to be driven through slowly just to make sure people wouldn't try to race you. It was rather annoying.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

Was behind some dude in an '01 Monte Carlo, waiting to make a left. Protected left green comes on, car in front of him goes across the intersection, he just sits there. And sits there. after 10 seconds of this I honk the horn a couple times, he throws his hand out the window like "what the hell do you want me to do?" I want you to MOVE, FUCKER. More honking from me, more hand-waving from clueless mcretard, until the light changes yellow, at which point he finally gets it and punches the gas. Goddamn dude, it's one of the longest-green left-turn signals in the city and you still managed to gently caress it up.

Haha I think this guy was loving with you

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I once tried merging onto the highway but got forced onto the shoulder by a red truck with a huge NRA sticker on the tailgate.

gently caress that guy.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

kastein posted:

There was also an awesome shitshow on i95 north between 93 and the 128 split yesterday. Multiple accidents caused by some retard who couldn't be bothered to secure their load... a TON of poo poo blew out of a pickup, looked like plastic shelving units and stuff, the kind that explode like a grenade the second they hit the ground hard. Happened only minutes after I went that direction to drop a coworker off at the auto repair shop he uses, on the way home I looked across the divider and there were several very embarrassed people picking up debris across all 3 lanes and one car getting by about every 5 seconds.

This was an hour or two before rush hour and they already had about 2 miles of bumper to bumper parking lot traffic going with that little fuckup. I can only imagine how bad it was a few hours later.

Here's some karma for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nvDPth5kEE

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Eventually grandma creeper is going to run someone over by not realizing they're inching forward and then all cars will have a buzzing noise if you're moving under 1 mph :suicide:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Tire blowout and they kept driving on the rim, grinding it down to an edge? It's a spoked wheel so once the rim wore down it'd just wedge into the concrete like you see there.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

What happens when people are dead-set on doing things a certain way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-WQT9SbntQ

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

People standing just a few feet away with all that tension on the chain. :staredog:

Remind me to never use ROAD Transport Inc.

A guy around 11:15 even says that, "There's a lot of tension in that chain and it can really gently caress you up."

What an understatement, considering it's at face level

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

This morning I was behind a Ford F150 and they were driving a bit erratically. Swerving a bit out of their lane, nothing terrible but kinda riding the yellow line. Pretty obvious they were on their phone. Whatever. What takes the cake is when we come upon an intersection (we're southbound) that is controlled by cars existing in the perpendicular lanes. There's a Trailblazer waiting to turn left (to join us in traffic) when the light turns yellow for us, and then red. We're a good distance away so I start easing on the brakes, but Distracted Dan here runs the light and doesn't even realize it. The Trailblazer is moving forward but sees the jackass and stops in the middle of the intersection. The Ford swerves out of the way and I'm not even sure they realized they hosed up.

I lost sight after I got a red at the next intersection but the Trailblazer was tailing the Ford pretty hard so I like to think some words/fists were exchanged.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Why would anyone tailgate a dump truck? That's just asking for a broken windshield and chipped paint. gently caress that.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've always thought this was in fact what DRLs are (it's what DRLs are here anyway)? What light comes on with DRLs if not the low beams?

In the US, GM cars tend to use the turn signals on full brightness. Newer cars use LED strips.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

People tend to not understand that if your wheels are spinning then your tires have very little, if any, traction.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I did that once in my Mazda. Tried to slide around a cul-de-sac circle and ran into a snow pile. I got some snow wedged in the bead of my tire and it lost all pressure. I put the donut on and took it to the tire shop and admitted my idiocy. They took the care in and apparently whatever was in the tire melted because it held air and never gave me any other problems. :iiam:

At least they didn't charge me anything.

ijustam fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 18, 2014

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

An intersection near me recently became no turn on red and had cops out for about a month pulling people over who did it. I get honked at a lot because I actually read the sign :(

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

School bus was picking up kids this morning and opposite direction stopped, as they're supposed to. Everyone traveling towards the stoppage slammed on their brakes as they didn't see the stoppage occur, 3 cars had to go onto the shoulder, and a dump truck almost took the cake. :stonk:

I was turning left and saw the whole thing and my anus was clenched the entire time. Motherfuckers need to pay attention.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

That's a blue light. People will put a blue flashing light on their car and then drive around like they own the place.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Saw this on my drive home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgaECwYhHFI

Car comes from the right and just ignores the stop sign and came frighteningly close to T-boning a brand new Mustang GT.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

this is tame but something that happenedon friday reminded me of louis ck and people's favorite thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLuldnwSHw

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

What about all the billions of dollars consumers will waste replacing bulbs. :qq:

(an argument actually used against the implementation of DRL's)

LED DRL supremacy

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

The 100% pointless eco mode they've been putting on the Prius reverses everything.. jack poo poo happens until about 85% throttle at which point the car switches into "oh so you actually do want to accelerate? HERE YOU GO" and dumps every single bit of power it has to the tires.

I'm not sure what they were thinking when they added a button for that. There's certainly no engineering reason.. it's pure marketing.

Eco will turn the engine off sooner. In normal mode the engine will warm up to 130F before shutting off automatically for heat. In eco it's 110F. It will also turn down the AC.

But yes it does also remap the throttle in a very noticable way.

Supposedly sport mode gives you more VOLTS :science: but I haven't seen any evidence for that.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I posted this in the dash cam thread but I witnessed this and it reminded me of Louis CK's bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLuldnwSHw

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I try to steer clear of people towing things in general. I feel like most trailers are not roadworthy. I was behind someone towing a small single-axle trailer and the brake wiring was backwards so when they turned on their left turn signal the right signal on the trailer flashed, and the right turn signal was burnt out :byodood:

Or poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffg7J1Spc5c

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

GramCracker posted:

I see tinted tail lights and get the gently caress away from those people as quickly as possible.

I've seen tinted head lights before :psyduck:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

My DRLs are LED and they light up quite a bit of road, but in a completely different, and much dimmer, color than the headlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

People do get pulled over for coal rolling. This guy got pulled over by a mounted police officer, at that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0dDzPyrtE