Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I almost crashed head on into some butthole because he didn't have his lights on in the pitch dark earlier. I'd just come out of a shop and turned around at a mini roundabout up the street. Then when I was coming back down to the traffic lights some guy who was parked in amongst a row of cars on the side of the road pulls out in front of me with no lights on. I was only going about 25mph and stopped just short of hitting him when I slammed on the brakes.

He had the nerve to look pissed off when we were both sitting there facing each other. I flashed my brights at him and shouted out of my window for him to put his loving lights on before he even realised.

edit: The driving tests in the US seem crazy to me. It gets harder all the time in the uk. I think they've added even more since I passed about 8 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Before I got in the car I had to pop the bonnet and show the instruction where to check for oil, and where my window washer fluid went, followed by reading a licence plate at a distance. Then I had to drive around town for around 45 minutes following directions from the instructor, including driving on a duel carriageway. Then I had to to a parallel park between two cars, and reverse around a corner. I didn't have to do a 3 point turn or a hill start, but I think it could have been any two out of those four manoeuvres. It also involved an emergency stop, which the instructor just randomly tells you do to at any point.

The whole time they are marking down any "minors" that you do, like forgetting to check your mirrors or using your indicators too late, not checking the mirrors before you indicate etc. If you get something like 15 minors you fail, which is no problem. But if you get 3 minors in one catagory you fail. Also you can fail on a "major". I can't really remember what they were specifically but one of those mistakes and you fail.

I dunno what it's like now but supposedly they added more stuff since I passed.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Was checking the Forth Road Bridge bridge wasn't closed because it's windy tonight and I'm off to Edinburgh soon. Found this video on their site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbhOUl9ppy4&t=13s