Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The other day I ended up behind this SUV trying to merge from the shoulder into the right lane. Which is fine, it was probably an emergency and I see him coming so I can just coast to slow down a bit. Except that this guy decided to merge in at 10mph and take like 30 seconds to get up to speed. You do understand that you can actually push the pedal down more to go faster right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Are we allowed to post about positive things in this thread?

I was on the highway in the left lane in slow traffic the other day. I hear this guy lane splitting (legal in this state) on a sports bike coming up behind me so I move left to give him room, and as he passes he gives me the upside down hand/wave. That made me feel pretty good.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Just saw this happen as I was stopping to wait in line for a left turn. There's a hubcap on the side of the road which the car in front of me runs over. Typical oblivious driver right? Except he runs it over in such a way that it pops up and onto the center median, clearing it from the road.

I am going to choose to believe that he meant to do this. Good looking out, bro.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Geoj posted:

Vehicle not responsible for objects thrown from road*.

*-"thrown from road" includes objects that fall off of vehicle

I see something like this on every dump truck and I don't get it. So these guys can just get on the highway and drop poo poo everywhere and it's not their fault? It's not cool for a passenger car to have open unrestrained loads, why would it be for a huge truck?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Why did you recommend me this video Youtube, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upf4X789mt4

The parts where people are unable to maneuver their cars at all in small spaces are damning enough but at least they're understandable. The ones where people suddenly lose all control of their vehicle with catastrophic results are just plain scary.

All I could think of while watching that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZXzjKb8nTw&t=47s

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

tuna posted:

I hate this prick.

One day I might actually share an area of CA road with him :ohdear:

First video, he lane splits between the 2nd and 3rd lane and gets mad when the UPS driver calls him out on it, but in the third video he calls someone a noob for doing the same thing. What?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Chinatown posted:

This. It pisses me off TO NO END when everyone slows for a loving border patrol/sheriff/city cop when on the interstate. They literally could not care less about speed.

Even the highway patrol won't give a poo poo unless you are literally blasting by/weaving.

It's even better when you find out that the cop car isn't even an actual cop. Redi-Wheels, I don't know what you do but I hate you for buying nothing but decommissioned Crown Vics.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

So many angry people who want to go 50, gas gas brake, gas gas brake, gas gas brake. Back off and drive 35 and it's just a smooooooth move.

There has to be some kind of psychological explanation for this. It's easy to see that you're not getting anywhere quicker, but people choose to ignore that because it feels faster somehow.

Whenever I'm in heavy stop-and-go traffic, I try go the average speed so that I don't have to stop every 3 seconds, but you would not believe how mad that makes some people. I get people who tailgate me and then pass and cut me off just so they can slam on the brakes 100 feet ahead of me.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Everyone in this thread talking about how they will speed around or pass cops. I don't know man. Maybe I'm not badass enough but I'm not gonna do that and risk the trouble of getting a ticket. I'll move to the right if I can so you can do that if you want but it's just not worth it to me.

Related, I've heard a lot of stories about how cops will tailgate you on a one lane road and then ticket you if you try to speed up to keep a safe distance. That happened to me once on Highway 1 around midnight. Usually there's a 55 limit, but in this particular section it decreases to 45 and then 25. I see the cop's headlights behind me coming up so I do exactly the limit, 55 down to 45 down to 25, with him tailgating me the whole way. At the 25 section the road splits into two lanes so he passes me, and I discover that it was actually that one Mercury that looks exactly like a Crown Vic. So I guess I was one of the people you share a road with that day.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Also not responsible for your soiled pants when you see an axe coming at you at 70mph.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

El Jebus posted:

If someone isn't turning right on red even though they might be inconveniencing you, maybe you should relax a bit because you also don't know what their situation is. They could see something you can't see, or have an issue with their car (it sucks and can't accelerate to save it's life) which is preventing them from going. I also get honked at a lot for not turning right on red when someone else thinks they can. Turns out this is mostly when there is a sign that says no turn on red! If someone wants to drive faster, they need to wait until they can safely do so, being an rear end in a top hat and honking isn't going to help anyone.

It is also perfectly legal to wait for a green light to take your right turn. You should probably not do it out of spite because that's not a good attitude to have on the road, but even if you do then you have done nothing wrong. If you have had this happen to you, it really doesn't matter what your situation was because you are not entitled to expect traffic flow until there is a green light. Right turns on red are an exception that not all jurisdictions even have. Do not be an rear end in a top hat.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Uthor posted:

Once adaptive cruise control is standard, what happens when the person at the head of the line decides to slow down randomly? I imagine lots of trolling causing rolling road blocks by people dicking with everybody else's speed.

Same thing that happens now? You still gotta brake if someone's being a dick in front of you, regardless of who's in control. Actually, I would think it would be better with the cruise control, since the car would respond faster and more accurately than you could, preventing the traffic wave that happens when people brake more and more down the line.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of people who either completely ignore yield signs, or treat them as a full stop.

To be fair, I come across a lot of yields that should be full stops because there is zero visibility until you get right up to the intersection. Conversely I've come across yields that should be a regular merge and would mess up traffic if you did actually yield. It's a crapshoot.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

PT6A posted:

I think it's because they know you're more likely to be careful when opening your doors if you already went to the trouble of parking far away.

If they're worried about that then why wouldn't they leave a space in between which guarantees they won't get dinged anyway?

Parking has the same rules as urinal use. Always leave a space if you can. I thought this was obvious but I run into this all the time.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
The handicapped are a subclass of society that we are obligated to pity. But how can we do that if they have cars that are more fun than ours? I propose that all handicapped subhumans should only be allowed to buy Geo Metros.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
I honestly don't get the obsession with being in front. I loving love being passed. It means that there's one less car in my hair and one more car to attract cops down the road.

Case in point: I was on the highway yesterday in the left lane passing a string of cars when behind I see a Porsche gaining on me at about 5mph. So I move over to let him pass and get back over. Took less than a minute and no skin off my back. A few miles down, this police cruiser comes screaming up and pulls the Porsche over. I'm not saying he deserved it or that I took some kind of pleasure in it. I'm saying that doing the right thing is actually directly beneficial to you and it baffles me that more people don't understand this.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
I like to go about 74 when cruising. On this particular highway that I frequent, everyone goes either 70 or 80+, so what happens is that I pass about about 70% of traffic, 30% of traffic passes me, and I end up in the nice oasis that is in between the convoys that typically form. Feels good man.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Wow, what did the Subaru expect to happen when he got into the far right lane? "Let's see, there's three lanes to the left to pass. Well maybe I'll just get really mad instead."

I agree the truck is partially to blame but I'm glad that the VW will probably think twice about trying to pull that poo poo in the future now.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

PT6A posted:

What the pickup did was unbelievably stupid, dangerous, and petty. If you're motivated to do that, please restrain yourself. If he'd just let the rear end in a top hat in the Camaro pass him without being a little bitch, the Camaro probably would've wrecked or been pulled over by the cops or something. Because he felt it was his job to punish the Camaro driver, he was involved in what could've been a very dangerous or even fatal collision.

Rule number one of driving safely: don't be a oval office. Don't be a oval office to people who deserve it, don't be a oval office to random people, just don't be a oval office period. Be considerate, even toward people who don't deserve it.

I agree with this completely but I will admit that I felt a good amount of schadenfreude for the Camaro while he was being blocked. The way he cuts the truck off, swerving straight into his fender while braking at the same time, just makes me mad.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Tarantula posted:

There are no words, what an absolute moron.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G80jxwoWdjI

No one got hit so that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. She didn't pull forward enough before backing in and realized her mistake, no harm done. Although I don't know why she even wanted to in the first place since it would have given her less room to open her door.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Haha, that 300 at 1:20 was rubbernecking so hard he ran the red light.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
The scariest thing I've learned from this thread is that the way I drive and park in GTA is the way some people do in real life.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

This seems pretty excessive, especially considering that he was in the middle lane. I'm not saying he's innocent but at least he wasn't driving a huge double decker bus in the passing lane, which is something I see literally every day and doubt anyone tickets for.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I really want to know what kind of thought process is required to decide "yeah, it's okay to pass on the shoulder on a loving on ramp."

Had some shithead in a CTS pull this on my way home today. Merging onto a highway with both the on ramp and the highway in near gridlock, this genius decides to hop into the shoulder to pass the four people in front of him on the on ramp and then nearly cause two accidents as he forces his way onto the highway and then into the left lane. What the gently caress? And then, of course, I end up passing him five minutes later because the left lane wasn't actually traveling any faster than the right lane.

People don't give a poo poo and give even less of a poo poo when they know they can get away with it.

Similarly, I was behind a newer Mustang at an intersection on a one lane mountain road. The road widens at that point so if you keep left, people can pass on the right to turn right. This SUV comes up behind us and does just that, except instead of turning right he just sits there and then continues straight on when the light is green. I was hoping the Mustang would launch as a "gently caress you" but he didn't (not that I blame him for it), and the other guy got away with it and will probably continue to get away with it in the future because it's in everybody else's best interest to just let it go.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
These are the people you share parking spots with.

One of my neighbors is a corner house and my aunt regularly parks along the side of it. Some other people do too (including this neighbor) but there's almost always at least one space open. I'd say there's enough room for 5 cars to park adjacent to this house. This neighbor has decided that he owns the road and has demanded that she not park there anymore. When she said no, he gets upset and immediately moves one of his cars to the one spot that we have in front of our house.

Not a big deal, but I think it's funny how upset the guy is and how he thinks making me trade spots with him will amount to anything.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Pfox posted:

Speaking of people with whom you share parking spaces.

It gets better from there.

http://jalopnik.com/ultimate-level-bmw-douche-double-parks-takes-bat-to-pi-1713911021

This is what I was talking about before: it's in everyone else's best interest to just let it go, because doing something gets you a broken mirror or worse. That said, that truck driver took one for the team and I salute him on behalf of myself and everyone else too chickenshit to do anything.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Well, we live in a society in which pre-faded and pre-ripped jeans are sold. Maybe pre-dinged cars are not far off.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Uthor posted:

This. The bike path I take cuts across some roads. The path has a stop sign. The cars have a "watch out for pedestrians/bikes" sign. No stop, no yield. I'll roll up and cars will stop for me. I usually just pull out my water and start drinking until they get the hint.

I know they're trying to be nice, but it actually fucks me more by them stopping. I have good enough sightlines that I can usually slow down, let them drive past, then just roll through behind without stopping. Then they stop and I stop and everyone is worse off.

That's great that you make it work but if I'm in a car and I'm coming up to a bike that's not stopping then you better believe I'm going to assume it's another rear end in a top hat bike that doesn't follow road rules.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Uthor posted:

Speaking of parking, Peoria made some spots reverse angle parking. Last time I was there, about 1/4 of the people pulled in forwards on the opposite side of the street. Good luck backing up against traffic when you leave!

https://www.peoria.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=4188

All the comments on this page and other sites have been about the coming apocalypse of car wrecks and closed businesses because this is somehow more difficult than the current parallel parking it's replacing.

This would actually confuse the hell out of me because I look at the angle of the spots to determine if I'm going the right way in a parking lot lane when there's nothing painted on the ground. Now I don't know what to believe!!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Haha, does he always just throw away his top like that every time he wants it off?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Edward IV posted:

:lol: if you expect everyone on the road to pay attention to what's on the road let alone observe and anticipate another vehicle's action and movement without depending on that vehicle's indicating signals.

But people do it every day? Even an automatic will slow down reasonably quick just by letting off the gas. I guess maybe avoid shifting down like 3 gears at a time or whatever, but I'd say if you rear-ended someone slowing down without using their brakes then you probably would have rear-ended them even with the lights on.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

Christ, if someone wants to go faster than you just let them loving go, don't cut them off.

People mention "ego" when they talk about what causes bad driving. Part of that is someone thinking that his time is more important than anyone else's, so he gets on the shoulder to pass everyone. But the other part of that getting upset and escalating the situation by cutting that person off. Just let him go. It sucks because it's not justice but is it worth getting into a wreck over it?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Speaking of getting gas, this happened to me recently. This station has three pumps in a line with the first pump having diesel. First two spots are free, the third is taken. I pull in following another car who stops at the middle while I'm planning to take the first. Normal so far. This car then starts reversing and I just sit there wondering what he's doing. He signals with his hands that he wants the first pump so I figure, OK I guess he needs the diesel, that's reasonable. I pull out to take the middle instead, and it turns out that it was out of order and this guy just wanted to take my loving spot after committing to another. The station was full so I couldn't just get onto another pump.

I guess the lesson here is, don't be nice because no one else will be either.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
A section of the highway I commute on is turning the left shoulder into a new lane, so the normally straight lanes swerve a bit when entering or exiting that section. The swerve is pretty sharp and abrupt on exit which is terrible in itself; it's almost as much as a full lane change. A lot of cars in front of me today didn't notice the swerve and so they all basically made unintentional lane changes.

The real terrible thing was that a bunch of people in the far left lane ended up driving on the left shoulder and were so oblivious that they kept going for miles, kicking up all these rocks and debris that pelted me and everyone behind them in adjacent lanes. These guys seriously did not notice the solid yellow line to their right along with all the scrap metal and plastic that they were running over. One guy kept going for like 5 miles before finally settling on hogging the (real) left lane like a normal idiot.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Parking in front of the same house has resulted in a condom stuck on my side mirror and a red slushie drink being poured all over my motorcycle. I can't prove that it was the guy, but I've reported all the incidents to the cops so that there's a record of repeated harassment if I do catch him in the act.

I have a neighbor who's pissy about the street spots near his house too but no one resorts to vandalism, thankfully. Why would you even do that when your house, worth 10x as much as any car, is sitting right there waiting for retaliation? I hope that guy learns his lesson the hard way.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
That Corvette guy has got to be a troll. No one can be that dense.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

I laughed when the white car still couldn't get ahead of the van even after ramming it. Or maybe by that point your priority changes from "assert dominance by getting ahead" to "assert dominance by loving the other guy up".

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Kicking doors is not okay unless your life is in imminent danger and its the only way out.

I doubt he was stomping on it or anything.

I had a situation where I didn't notice a pedestrian as I was about to make a right turn on red and stopped just before hitting him. He gave me a look and then knocked on my hood before continuing across the intersection. I just thought to myself, "poo poo, I deserve that much at least". Sometimes you need to be shamed a little.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

xzzy posted:

I would guess that if an examiner don't know how to drive manual, they'd interpret the blip as showing off or incompetence. So smoke that clutch, it's fine. :downs:

I'm surprised tests even account for how well you treat your car. If some dude wants to ruin his clutch or ride around at redline, I don't give a poo poo as long as he follows the traffic rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

88h88 posted:

Christ what a dangerous oval office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S4-G8N8wWw

God drat, where did he even come from? Did he ride the shoulder to pass that truck? He already "won" by passing the dashcam car so why was he even mad? Jailtime is good but I really hope they took away his license with no chance to get it back too.