Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

My beef with snow is the idiots that can't take 30 seconds to clear their windows. I saw at least a dozen cars last night (in a 15 minute commute) with the rear window completely covered, couldn't even be bothered to hit the button for the rear defroster. I get super paranoid if I can't see out my windows, if I don't know where every single car around me is I get really uneasy. I don't know how people would consent to entering traffic with snow on the windows unless they literally don't use their mirrors.

Even worse are the assholes who won't bother to brush however many inches of snow off their car after a heavier snow storm. They just clear their windows, sometimes not even completely, then hit the roads and highways still covered in a thick layer of snow. gently caress these lazy assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

drgitlin posted:

It's not just that, it's the huge amounts of snow these inconsiderate fuckwits drop in the paths of people driving behind them.

Or worse, a nice sized sheet of snow blows off and into the windshield of the car behind them, temporarily blinding that driver to what's going on in front of him at 50+ mph.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Geoj posted:

Say what you will about texting and driving, at least that can theoretically be accomplished with one hand.

I recently passed a youngish guy in a Mercedes on the highway driving below the speed limit and weaving a little from side to side, both hands at the 12 o'clock position with a cell phone on the wheel texting away.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Ansith posted:

One thing that has me worried though - I didn't use the horn. In fact I never use it when I get into lovely situations like this. I really should, it might help.

I don't know how much thought you put into it at the time, but sometimes not laying on the horn makes all the difference in the world in whether or not you end up in an accident.

A few months ago I'm on a two lane road on my way to work. It's raining. I'm going about 40mph. As I'm passing a left turn lane waiting for a red light, some idiot a little over a car length in front of me decides he doesn't feel like waiting for the light and starts pulling back into the left lane from a dead stop. He either didn't look or didn't care that there was a car bearing down on him. I brake but there's no way in hell I have room to stop. Luckily there was nobody in the right lane and I was able to veer into it to avoid him. I'm still amazed we didn't collide. There were only a couple of inches between us. If our windows had been open I could have reached inside his car.

Even though that is the type of situation that would typically call for it, I didn't even think of laying on the horn at the time. I was too focused on avoiding a collision, and I don't think I would have pulled that off if I'd gone for the horn.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

As above the "you park like an rear end in a top hat" thing or the slightly ruder leaflets from :britain: http://www.youparklikeacunt.com :britain: http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/yplac-booklet.html

Or you can get some fake spray paint (I didn't even know this was a thing) and make them think their car is messed up for a little while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRP30mhqmnQ

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

This one made me happy. I wouldn't mind seeing a crack down on it in my state. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlfAhk6JXgQ

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
What is it with the people who decide, as they are passing an onramp full of people trying to get on the highway, that now is the moment they need to get into the right lane? And it's not because they are exiting the highway. Sometimes there is not even an option to exit for another couple of miles. And it's worse when there is heavy traffic and the only reason there is a space to get over is because another driver backed off from the car in front of him and somebody does that. "I want to be in the right lane. gently caress those people trying to get on the highway."

The worst was the time I was in a line of cars getting onto the highway. I checked my driver side mirror and my blind spots and the lane was clear. As I started to merge some rear end in a top hat in the left lane who didn't feel like waiting for the slower driver in front of him veers into the right lane, leans on his horn and flips us the bird because I almost "cut him off" before whipping back into the left lane to pass the car that had just finished merging.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
This happened just this morning.

I was sitting in line in the left turn lane waiting to get out of my neighborhood. The light turns green and as the line of cars waiting to turn left begins to move a mustang with racing stripes darts up the right turn lane passing everybody and turns left in front of the second car in line. As I pull onto the road I can see him moving from one lane to another passing everybody before disappearing into the distance as traffic stops at the next light. A mile up the road I pull onto the highway and not half a mile later who do I pass on the side of the highway because he got pulled over? It bought a smile to my face.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Things I hate that are along this vein: People who brake for a turn, but do not signal until they begin the actual turning procedure. Why bother?

Uthor posted:

People who brake after passing where the turn lane starts, then pull partially into the turn lane, then hit their blinker, then ride the line between the turn lane and the straight lane until they make the actual turn. I see someone do that at least once a day and learned to avoid those areas.

More signalling stupidity. There are two lanes going the same direction. At the stop light the left lane turns left or goes straight and the right lane turns right or goes straight. I pull up behind the guy in the left lane and wait out the light. The light turns green and instead of going the genius picks this moment to turn on their left turn signal. Thanks, jackass.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Witnessed an accident this weekend. I was the fifth car in line waiting for the light to turn green so I didn't have the clearest view but it looked like the pickup truck running their red light to go straight hit the car running their red light to turn left.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Both Driver and Mother of the Year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNIBUh2JLBU

The police are looking into it.

http://jalopnik.com/insane-minivan-driver-go-fat-boy-ill-gently caress-you-up-1634002297

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
As much as idiot drivers annoy me the entitled ones piss me off even more. "I know this is wrong but gently caress everybody else."

This morning I'm in line on an on-ramp waiting to get onto the highway. Traffic is pretty heavy so it's stop and go, but everybody appears to be zipper-merging at the end of the ramp pretty well. Well this wasn't efficient enough for the bitch in the Cadillac who decided to move over and pass about a dozen cars on the shoulder to cut in front of everybody.

I don't know whether I'm the better driver because I didn't actively gently caress with another driver by moving over a few feet to block her to make her wait in line, or just an rear end because I saw her coming several cars back and let it go.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Wait a minute, maybe this is what the "bad" drivers are trying to do when they are on the road. http://vimeo.com/106226560
They're not the problem, we are because we can't figure out the timing.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I know what you mean. Even knowing there won't be any collisions there are still a few moments that made me cringe because they were so close.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

We should zipper merge with cyclists in turning lanes while being women drivers and not tipping the uncircumcised waiter while in a plane taking off from a treadmill.

But what if you're on your way to help a goon out of a well?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Uthor posted:

I don't know, but I do giggle when traffic is flowing properly (slower traffic on the right) and the red car gets jammed up in the right lane and ends up back behind the blue car before passing on the left like they're supposed to.

Even more amusing is when I'm cruising along with the rest of the traffic in the left lane, and one of these idiots shows up changing lanes and darting past everybody only to hit the wall of slower traffic and slowly fall back, then find an opening and change lanes and dart ahead of everybody only to hit yet another wall and slowly fall back again. I always laugh at the guy who passes me 4 or 5 times only to end up 1 or 2 car lengths ahead of me, or even behind me when I finally reach my exit.

Deedle posted:

Dear HGV driving fuckwit,

I understand that you would like to go 85 when the HGV in front of me is doing 83, but flashing high beams and honking at me isn't going to make that other HGV go faster.

I don't get why you think it's okay to drive your 40 tonne piece of poo poo Volvo less than 5 metres from my rear bumper.

It's perfectly okay for me to do 83 in the slow lane and keep 40 or 50 metres distance between me and the HGV in front of me.

Thankfully I did write down your license number and after a bit of searching for the name on your truck I found the contact information of your employer.
Your head of HR is a very nice man and I hope you enjoy explaining this incident on your performance review.

Sincerely,
The driver of the tiny blue car in front of you.

Crotch Fruit posted:

White van man is such an rear end in a top hat and he is always advertising his company's plumbing/hvac/locksmith service. I was cut off by a Brinks truck with a "how's my driving?" tag and I filled it out online, I have no idea if it will do anything but it at least felt satisfying to fill it out. What I find really stupid is seeing a beater with "Sally's Makeup Sales" with a website, e-mail address, and phone number on the back so I that I can skip the manager and directly contact Sally for cutting me off, I'm just not confrontational enough to do that.

I actually called somebody's company to report their driving for the first time a few months ago. I'm in the left lane starting to pass some utility truck when he starts drifting over. No signal or anything, just started merging into me. I'm leaning on the horn as a brake and veer toward the shoulder and it doesn't phase him. A few miles later when he finally drifts back to the right, also without signalling, and I pass him, he's kind of leaning on his door with his hand up to the side of his head.

So when I got to the office I called the number on his truck and told them they needed to talk to their drivers about not driving distracted and explained what happened. Not 30 minutes later the guy I talked to called back, even though I'd left no number, to ask where exactly the incident took place. He was trying to narrow down which driver was the likely culprit.

I can't speak for Brinks, but at least some companies out there care about this sort of thing.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Here is a person we share the road with.

http://www.katu.com/news/investigators/Court-doc--Driver-recorded-video-of-son-just-before-crash-that-injured-teens-296943071.html

This woman hits three teens in a crosswalk while filming her child in the back seat. Thankfully, the teens all survived, but with injuries.

KATU.com posted:

“(Dove) is holding the phone with her left hand and was making gestures at times with her right hand,”

Then there is a 6-second video of the phone bouncing on the front passenger seat.
“Dove is panicked and there is a child crying in the background,” Shoen wrote.

In the 10 minutes before the crash, Dove was talking on the phone for about seven minutes, then sent five text messages and received one, according to the affidavit. After the last text, Dove started recording video about 30 seconds later.

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 24, 2015

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Some rear end in a top hat in a BMW skidded off the road into one of the poles to our power lines. My office has had no power all morning. He tried to flee by taking the tags off his car and calling his buddy to come get him but the police arrived first. He was last seen being cuffed and loaded into the back of a police cruiser. Still waiting for the power to come back on two and a half hours later.

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 26, 2015

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Ya, we have no clue what the guy was thinking. He didn't get to think it for very long, though.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
The people Baltimore shares the road with.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/roadside-fight-in-baltimore-caught-on-camera/32406172
Video included.

WBALTV posted posted:

BALTIMORE —An angry traffic altercation was caught on camera Saturday in the middle of Interstate 95 in downtown Baltimore.

According to a witness, the incident started when a car and a truck tried to navigate a lane change in a construction zone at the same time. An unidentified driver attacked a truck driver, claiming that the semi cut him off.

But the truck driver is the victim, according to Tommy Solis, who recorded the video. He said the driver cut off the truck, and in the process, got his mirror pushed in like he was parked on a narrow street. The driver then got in front of the truck and stopped.

"He was just trying to rush in and cut the truck driver off," Solis said. "The car pulled in front of the trucker. He had no choice but to stop because the guy parked his car and got out."

Solis said he took out his phone, thinking he was about to witness a fistfight.

"He starts kicking traffic cones, then hops on the guy's truck. The aggressor reaches in there and punches him while he is sitting down, then opens the door and pulls him out," Solis said.

The truck driver is seen on the video trying to defend himself with a tire iron.

"It looks like he's putting his face into the car, the rear bumper of it, like a dog," Solis said. "The look in his eyes said he didn't want any trouble."

Solis said the driver then started to get aggressive with him, and he landed a lights-out punch.

"He said, 'Nice shot,' which was hilarious, hilarious," Solis said. "His eyes were slightly open, but he wasn't there. When he got knocked out, his feet were still in the road. That's why I rolled him over so his feet wouldn't get run over by the truck when he left."

Since police were not called to investigate, no link has been established between the incident and lane changes.

The Maryland Transportation Authority reminds drivers that lanes will be frequently changing on I-95 until at least October.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Doing something about a person you share the road with.

http://kfor.com/2015/04/27/i-gotta-stop-this-guy-before-he-hurts-a-little-kid-civilian-stands-in-street-to-end-motorcycle-chase/

quote:

CHICKASHA, Okla. — A high speed motorcycle chase came to an end when a concerned citizen took matters into his own hands.

It was an intense game of chicken in Chickasha, where a Kansas man named Floyd Briggs came out on top.

The chase began near 8th and Iowa, and ended across the street from Briggs.

Police had pursued a motorcycle for some time, as the driver, Michael Coppedge, weaved through city streets and alleys.

“I said ‘I gotta stop this guy before he hurts a little kid,'” Chickasha resident Floyd Briggs said. “I ain’t no football player either.”

But in a matter of seconds, the man on the run was on his back. Briggs stood in the street, causing Coppedge to swerve around him and lose control of his bike.

“And he laid that bike over about here, and slid all the way to that pickup,” Briggs said. “He got up, run around that fence right there, and I just went after him.”

“I was running out of steam very quick. I’m not very aerodynamic,” Briggs noted.

Briggs managed to chase Coppedge right into the waiting arms of Chickasha Police, ending in his arrest.

Coppedge says the only reason he was running was because he didn’t have a license and/or insurance.

“That’s not a serious thing right there… you get a ticket, slap on the hand, pay your fine, and go fix your problem,” Briggs said.

For neighbors that caught this camo’d cavalier in action, he’s got a message.

“I did use some language that just isn’t how I talk…Some of the words I used, I was pretty worked up. I’m sorry for that,” Briggs said.

An overall happy ending as no one was seriously injured in the chase.

Coppedge was released Monday afternoon, facing charges of eluding a police officer, and leaving the scene of an accident involving damage.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Driving to work this morning I'm in the left lane of the main road in my area. There's a bro-truck behind me, but both lanes are moving at a decent pace so no problem. About a quarter to half a mile before the on-ramp for the highway I move into the right lane. I'm about one and a half car lengths behind the car in front of me and there is nobody behind me. After several seconds the guy in the bro truck decides to gun it and get in front of me. I figure fine, he just has to get on the highway a whole car length sooner than if he'd just pulled in behind me. I was wrong because he promptly slowed down to make a right turn, which for some reason couldn't have been done behind me. Really, dude?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Last night some rear end in a top hat hit the front of my car, I assume trying to parallel park, then ripped my front license plate bracket out of my front bumper while driving away. No note or anything, of course.

I plan to get this fixed as soon as possible, tomorrow afternoon if my mechanic has new anchors he can use. In the meantime I have to drive someplace today, and to & from work tomorrow. I live in Maryland. Does anybody know what the chances are that the police will care enough to pull me over for not having a front plate?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

PT6A posted:

Phone the police to report a hit and run, and mention that your license plate holder was damaged and ask what you should do until it can be repaired.

Sometimes the simplest solution eludes us.

I talked to an officer. There's not really much I can do about it. If a cop sees me and decides to pull me over all I can do is explain the situation to him, that it just happened last night and nobody is open to fix it, and show him that I do actually have the plate with me, and hope he's understanding and will cut me some slack. If not, I may get a repair order or $50 ticket depending on the officer's mood, and if I get it fixed I should be able to get the fine canceled.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

I was walking to work this morning, and up ahead is a controlled intersection. The light turned yellow, and from a couple hundred feet behind me, I heard a car revving up. As the driver was trying to catch the light, it turned red... for a solid 2-3 seconds. S/he was still on his accelerator with no signs of slowing down and unequivocally blew past the red light, giving absolutely no fucks. Still on the gas, driver tried to catch the protected turn at the next intersection that led to the freeway entrance and flew right through that as well. The driver's a loving nut, and I hope he/she/it/whatever wrecks his car (a Lexus SUV.)

PT6A posted:

I saw something similar the other day. I was on a flyover into downtown, which has a light at the end. The light was green when I first saw it, then immediately turned yellow, and then red, all giving the car in front of me ample time to stop. Nope; just cruises right through it like it wasn't even there. They didn't speed up, so it could just be that they were paying absolutely no attention. The sun was coming from directly behind, but since the light was actually in the process of changing, it was easy to see that it had been green, and was now red.

A few months ago, as my light is turning green, I witnessed a pick-up truck running the red light to go straight slam into a car running the red light to turn left from the opposite direction.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

davebo posted:

Alright, is it my turn to be the one to say that despite everything being this drunk assholes fault, the situation could have been avoided if you had just been in the same lane as the person whose speed you were matching in the passing lane for some reason? I'm glad you didn't because I like stories where drunk drivers get their comeuppance, but most of us would have prioritized our car and our safety and avoided the situation entirely.

What passing lane? He wasn't on the highway.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Uthor posted:

The two I see the most are:
-slowing down to an almost complete stop before hitting the turn signal to indicate that they are turning into this driveway over here
-pulling completely into a left turn lane before indicating that they intend to actually turn left

Add to that:
-The guy stopped at a red light in the left turn or go straight lane who only turns his signal on after the light turns green and people going straight are stuck behind him.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
And I bet he gave you a dirty look like you're the rear end in a top hat.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
When I lived in Anne Arundel County I didn't have this problem, but people in Essex, MD do not know how to park a loving car. In the past several years that I've lived here my car has been hit so many times in parking lots that all four corners are scraped and beat up from people pulling into or out of the parking space next to me at the grocery store. Last month somebody parallel parking their car tore the license plate bracket out of my front bumper. I think people who get a good look at my car must think I'm the bad driver, but I haven't hit anything myself. And in all that time not once has anybody ever left a note.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Leaving work yesterday I'm in the parking lot pulling up to the street when I encounter a corner cutter. He actually started his turn several yards too early, so he was in the oncoming traffic lane on the road, just a few feet from the opposite curb pulling into the lot and in my lane for a few seconds. And, as corner cutters typically do, he looked at me like I'm the rear end in a top hat for having the audacity to be in my lane when he wanted to be there.

Then, just a quarter mile up the road a minivan going anywhere from 5 - 10 mph below the speed limit gets in front of me.

Not fifteen minutes later, on the highway, a guy in the right lane suddenly decided he didn't want to be behind the car in front of him and jerked his car into my lane, without so much as a glance to his left to see if somebody, like me, was already occupying that space. Luckily I managed to avoid him by veering onto the shoulder.

This morning a guy went from the on-ramp to the left lane across the gore point and two other lanes of rush hour traffic in one quick, uninterrupted merge.

I need to get a dash cam. I might need it as evidence at some point.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

On my way into work today, a nice fellow got on the road next to me, and I could tell they wanted over (but they weren't signaling), so I gave them a bit of room. They didn't take it so I finally started accelerating, then they got behind me and turned their high beams on.

God, the people who don't come over when you try to let them. This happens at least once a week. I come up to somebody with their signal on and ease up on the gas, letting the gap in front of me get larger so they have room. They don't come over. I continue to back off to give them even more room. They stay in their lane. Maybe a little more room. Nothing. I figure they changed their mind and forgot the signal was on, or left it on when they first got on the highway and start to accelerate again.

At this point one of two things happens:

As the gap is closing they jerk their car into the lane in front of me, looking in their rearview as if to say "how dare you try not to let me over."

I pass them and they give me a dirty look because I'm an rear end in a top hat for not letting them over.

Exactly how far back do we need to back up to before they decide there is clearly enough room for their car to fit.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
A mile in either direction from my office takes me to a road that will put me on a highway. More people drive below the speed limit in this two mile stretch of road than everywhere else I ever drive all added up. This road is not any more narrow, curvy, or hilly than is safe for 40mph. No hidden drive ways or sharp turns. 40mph signs right out in the open in both directions. Yet so many people drive 5 - 10 mph below the speed limit. I don't get it. I can't tell you how many times I've been cut off by somebody who then crawled along at that 5-10 under. The other day I pulled out of the parking lot behind somebody going 5 under, who then got cut off by somebody else who wanted to do 10 under.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
While I'm filling up my gas tank this morning a guy pulls up to the pump next to me, and walks across the lot and into the building. I finish up and as I'm starting my car and getting ready to pull away from my pump, he gets into his car and pulls out ahead of me. Never got any gas, just wanted to park there. It's a decent sized station and there is plenty of parking along the front and sides of the building. I guess the side of the building was just too far for him to walk so somebody wanted to get gas can just sit and wait until he's done.

So he pulls out onto the side street, and at the end of that street runs the red light to turn left (west) across two lanes of east-bound traffic without even slowing down a little bit.

I don't know if he was just so caught up in his own little jackass world that he wasn't paying attention, or if he just didn't give a poo poo, gently caress everybody else.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

EightBit posted:

gently caress that guy. If I want to go in after getting gas, I move to a non-fuel parking spot.

Ya, the selfish park at the pump mentality is just annoying to no end. Once, a few years ago, I went to this one station in my area. It's actually really big. A lot of pumps, one of those car washes with 5 or 6 spaces you can pull your car into to hand wash, a line a vacuums and air hoses, and a lot of empty space around it. This place gets quite busy during the summer, with people waiting in line at the pumps sometimes.

Off to the side is a little icy stand. One time I pull up behind a car at the pump. The lady at the pump sees me there, knows I'm waiting for my turn, and actually says to me "I'll be right back" before walking over to wait in line at the icy stand instead of moving her car to any of the wide open empty space that is not in front of the pumps. Really, lady?

And you just know that half the people who pull this kind of poo poo would be pissed off if they were inconvenienced in a similar fashion.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I thought everybody had to prepay for gas these days.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Deedle posted:

Given your username I can't be sure whether you're just getting the poo poo end of the stick. But, no prepayment for gas is an embarrassing concept here. That's something Belgians do. It's just too drat inconvenient to have to walk into the shop twice. You just fill up and walk into the store and tell the clerk pump number four. They trust you because most people aren't petty loving thieves who'd steal €80 of gas.

Where do you live? I live in Maryland, USA. I usually just swipe my card at the pump but on the rare occasions that I've paid cash I have had to pay first. And, yes, it is a bit annoying if you've overpaid and have to go back in for change, but usually I just ask for less than it will take to fill up my tank and the pump cuts off when I reach the amount I paid.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

I'd vote distracted drivers. They can be partially to blame for people in the last two groups.

Saw a guy holding up traffic in a construction area because he was loving around on his phone and the light had been green for ~15 seconds already.

I had something like this happen to me a few weeks ago. Soccer mom in an SUV didn't notice the light turn green or the line of cars in front of her going until I honked my horn.
Guess who the last person to make it through the light was before it turned red.

Hint: It wasn't Murphys Law.

Oh, and last week it was the idiot in a Uhaul truck sitting in the exit of my office parking lot doing who knows what in the front seat for a couple of minutes with nothing but clear road to turn on to. I pulled up behind them a gave them a few seconds thinking they'd notice me and go now that somebody is behind them. Of course I should have known better. As I get ready to honk the horn traffic arrives from one direction, then another. There were a couple of gaps in the traffic that they could have pulled out into, but didn't. Finally, when the road had been clear in both directions for several seconds I honked the horn. They finally pull out, looking in their side mirror at me like I'm the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to sit in the parking lot all afternoon.

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 6, 2015

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Getting onto the highway this morning I'm in the left lane of a dual merge lane. The right lane ends shortly before the merge onto the highway. The car in the right lane doesn't appear to be in any real hurry. I figure I have time and room to get pass them without having to floor it, and we can both be on our way without any problem at all. Boy was I wrong.

As I start to pass them they maintain speed. I draw even with them and they maintain speed. As my front bumper is pulling ahead of them Dick decides I'm an rear end in a top hat for being there when he's going to need to merge soon. Now there are a few different ways this could have been dealt with:

1. Just maintain speed and pull in behind me and get over it.
2. Pull in behind me and tailgate me and flash high beams to let me know I'm an rear end in a top hat.
3. Wait until we're on the highway and pull up to me or pass me in the next lane flipping me off to let me know I'm an rear end in a top hat.
4. Pull in front of me and brake check me to let me know I'm an rear end in a top hat. This probably would have been his second choice.

None of those were good enough. The option he chose was gun it as he pulled into my lane, with me still next to him, honking his horn and missing my car by inches as I pull to the shoulder to avoid him. Then, he and his friends stick their hands out the window flipping me off because clearly I'm the one with the problem in this scenario.

I just don't get it. It's not like I floored it at the merge to try to keep him from getting over, I just passed somebody moving slower than me.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
After work yesterday I'm getting on the highway and the guy I'm pulling behind in the right lane brakes in such a way that at first I think he's brake checking me but I can't figure out why. I haven't been around him long enough for even an imagined slight against him. We didn't even race for position in the right lane.

I slow down and get behind him and he brakes again and veers to the left. Now he's straddling the line between the lanes, and slowly starts to move back to the right before suddenly moving all the way into the left lane and braking again.

As I pass him on the right I look over and of course the poo poo head is looking down at his phone. I wish doing stupid poo poo was painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

lookslikerain posted:

I got road raged at on the way to work today.

Guy in a company branded van dove from the slow lane to fast lane in front of me doing 30-40 under when I was doing 5 over the speed limit causing me to brake hard. Before I had time to back off completely he brake checks me, and then pulls in to the other lane. I start passing him and he swerves at me, once I'm past he tail gates me for a kilometre before giving up..

Considering sending a message to the company but I doubt it'll have any effect.

MrOnBicycle posted:

You should. I'm pretty sure that no company wants to be associated with dangerous driving.

I agree with messaging the company. Even if they don't do anything about it at least you brought it to their attention. I called the company on an inattentive driver who almost ran me into a jersey wall once (he started merging toward me, I leaned on the horn while braking, didn't even phase him, passed him later and he's on the phone), not knowing if the company would give a poo poo, or the driver himself would be the one who answered, but the guy I talked to was very interested in hearing about the incident, and even called back within a few minutes to double check where it occurred, I'm assuming so he'd know which driver to talk to.