Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I hate when loving ambulances cut me off.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/...acebook_WJZ-TV_|_CBS_Baltimore

CBSlocal posted posted:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Officials say an ambulance transporting a child was stopped after being swarmed by a group of ATV drivers and motorcycle riders in Washington.

The District’s Department of Health sent out an alert Monday after the report of the attack on the ambulance on March 23, warning ambulance drivers to be aware of their surroundings.

Police say the group blocked the ambulance, forcing it to stop even though it tried using its lights and sirens to get by. No one was injured and the patient wasn’t affected.

The crew says one of the drivers opened the ambulance door and accused the ambulance driver of cutting the group off.

Police say the group didn’t disperse until officers arrived.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
The past few times I've gone to the store I've noticed something new. Cars straddling two spaces. But not they're not straddling the spaces to the left and right, instead it's front to back. They're actually parked fine between the spaces to the left and right, but the line is dead center the other way.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Is there some new roadway craze where you get points for passing people on the shoulder on the on-ramp and bullying your way in front of them?

Getting onto the highway this morning I'm in line in the left lane of a two lane on-ramp. There is nobody in the right lane. As the right lane is getting ready to end the woman behind me pulls to the right and starts passing me. She was on the shoulder before she was even halfway past me, finally gets most of the way past me and starts to come over.

Why? I mean I could understand if it were just the two of us and she whipped around me and took of at mach 5 never to be seen again. I could even understand if I was just coasting along while the cars in front of me got farther and farther away. I might still think it's a dick move but people have places to be and if you're going to hold things up you're going to get passed. All she was trying to do was gain one whole car length that wouldn't have gotten her anywhere any faster than if she'd just stayed in line.

Well gently caress that poo poo, I hate rewarding rear end in a top hat behavior by giving them what they want. I have control of the lane and she's on the shoulder. She realized I wasn't giving way very quickly and backed off, started to pull back behind me, then I guess noticed the car in front of me was signalling and moving onto the highway early by crossing the gore point, and moved back over and floored it to get in front of me.

But now she can't get onto the highway because she's next to the guy who had been in front of me and he's letting the everybody who'd been in front of him over. So I merge behind him, then merge into the left lane. She's still on the on-ramp, and as I'm passing her I look at her. I just have to see who this person is. She gives me some kind of gesture. Not a middle finger. I'm not really sure what it was. A half-assed shrug, like oops, that's embarrassing? A what the gently caress gesture, like I'm the bigger rear end in a top hat for not letting her pass me on the shoulder like everybody else she has done that to? Was she holding a phone and I just didn't notice it?

And as I continue on, she gets farther and farther back, still in the same line in the right lane, and taking the very next exit, which she would have gotten to in the very same amount of time had she just stayed in line to begin with.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I'm new to living near a city. HOV lane jumpers are a fascinating thing :allears:

Jumping from the HOV lane into the passing lane of local traffic and cutting someone off doing 15mph faster than you is definitely something that couldn't possibly have consequences.

People love doing this in Maryland. I was recently traveling in the left lane about two car lengths behind the car in front of me. A much slower driver merged into the gap between us forcing me to brake pretty hard to avoid rear ending him. What is the thinking there? He knows how fast the other car was going, he knew the gap was there and waited for it, so he presumably knew that the next car in line was going the same speed as the other car which was faster than he wanted to go. And it's not like there was anything in the right lane holding him up.

The guy behind me moves to the right and passes us, and now I know the dipshit's peripheral vision works because he notices the guy passing on the right and turns his head to watch him pass before they are fully even. So I go ahead and pass him on the right, too, and he doesn't even glance at me. Then a couple of other people also moved over to pass him.

Never sped up, never slowed down, didn't move back over, didn't acknowledge any other driver except the look at the first guy. Just wanted to get in the left lane and pulled into the first gap he got, no matter what. gently caress everybody else.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
This morning I encountered a road rager that I'm too baffled by to be pissed at.

I'm just driving along when a guy in an SUV to right flashes his signal once, then jerks his car into the space in front of me, forcing me to brake. I don't think he did as some kind of gesture against me or anything, he was just an rear end with bad timing who wanted to pass the guy in front of him.

About a minute or so after this I've passed the car that had been in front of him, and since my exit is coming up I merge to the right, and since the lane is empty I put on a little speed.

Another minute or so after that I've passed the last car in the right lane and merge into it. As I'm doing this, SUV guy flashes his signal a few times (maybe) and jerks his car across the lane I was leaving and into the right lane behind me. I'm not sure how much he cleared the other car in the right lane by because I was only two car lengths ahead of them, tops.

As I'm looking in my rear view, he flips me off. Flips me off so hard his arm is shaking. I've never seen anybody strrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaiiinnnnnn so hard to flip somebody off before. Then, as I'm passing the first exit, he takes the exit, accelerates and passes me just to flip me off (straining) again.

I have no idea why. I'd never seen him before he cut me off, we didn't race, block each other, gesture to each other or anything up until that point. My first encounter with him was him cutting me off. I can only imagine he thought I'd cut him off when I merged to the right ahead of his two lane merge, but he could have just moved into the lane I'd just left and passed me there without any problem at all. The road was wide open.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Karma Monkey posted:

It's been worse than usual this week.

I agree with the worse than normal part.

I posted last week, I think, about the woman who tried to pass me on the shoulder, twice, just to be one more car length farther up in line on an on-ramp. She was actually the second person to do something like that in a two week period.

A couple of days ago I was trying to merge onto the highway. I had plenty of room to get over but as soon as the woman driving a jeep saw me and realized I was about to merge she floors it trying to close the gap, then leans on her horn to let me know she's coming. Even though I still had room to get over I slowed up and let her pass. Why? She wasn't in any hurry until I wanted to merge in front her, and she had no place to go except behind the car I was merging behind. She was in the same traffic traveling the same speed she would have been traveling if she'd just stayed back where she was and let me merge.

Do people who do this poo poo really think they're accomplishing anything other than being a dick to a random stranger for the sole purpose of being a dick?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

My wife drove home from a doctors appointment. We live 30 miles from town. She told me that the fuel light came on, on the way home. So I grabbed one of the massive gas cans I keep on hand for just such occasion, and put what I "guessed" was about just under two gallons into the car. It must have been lower than she indicated, because we started the car to warm it up in the near zero temps at the time to head into town.

As we approached our exit, the car ran out of gas. We coasted down the exit. Now this exit does not have two lanes, but it is wide, and people generally form two lines, by putting two tires on the shoulder. One line for right on reds, and one for those who wait for the light to change for lefts.

Now our problem is that the gas station is about 500 feet away, up a hill steeper than the offramp. I am kind of a boyscout, so I grabbed the harbor freight tow strap from the back, and grabbed the tow bolt and installed it in the front bumper while the wife called a friend to give us a hand. I always buy a tow strap, a compressor, and a flashlight for every vehicle when we get them. Maybe I should invest in one of those folding gas cans right?

So the whole time I am doing this, we are pulled way over, but the second line that forms normally can't. We are in the way dead on the shoulder. This exit is so poorly built, that traffic backs up. Like 8 cars behind us. They have to wait for light cycles to go around us.

So as each redneck over-chipped diesel pickup turns right, we get a hearty "loving MORON!" or a "GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE!" and a roll of coal in our faces as they make the right in a cloud of tire smoke.

I was amazed by how impatient and genuinely angry people were by a simple car on the shoulder that was blocking their curb jumping right on reds. It was eye opening. This wasn't even in the morning commute. It was around early lunch time though.

I saw something similar to this happen a few weeks ago. 295 North, where I get onto it in Jessup, MD, is always stop and go. Just past the end of the on-ramp all the traffic in the right lane was trying to get into the left lane, slowing down the usual super slow crawl even more. Some poor bastard has broken down in the right lane. Because traffic was already backed up here he didn't have enough room or speed to coast onto the shoulder before his car stopped, but he was clearly trying to get over as his car was at an angle to the lane, and he was outside of it trying to push it. Of course some mother fucker honked at him, as if he was choosing to be there.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Is there some new trend where if you're on the highway and traffic suddenly has to slow down for a bit due to congestion you're supposed to turn your hazard lights on? I've been behind somebody who did this twice in the past few weeks. On the first occasion we hit a few brief back-ups in a five mile stretch and each time the hazards came back on, as if everybody will be completely unaware of the traffic without their extra input.

It's right up there with the people who feel the need to turn their hazards on as soon as it starts snowing.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

88h88 posted:

A lot of new cars these days automatically switch the hazards on when you're braking semi-hard on a motorway/freeway.

I didn't know that was a thing. But it's possible, the car this morning was certainly newish. I can't really remember the one a few weeks ago.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Ok, rear end in a top hat, it's not bad enough that four lanes of traffic on 95 have to be funneled down to a single lane on the left shoulder because of the accident on the right, do you really have to bring things to an even slower crawl as you lean across the passenger seat trying to get a better look?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I'm sure I've asked this before but what the gently caress is up with people who think the best time to get into the right lane is while passing an on-ramp full of people who also want to get into that lane?
I was almost sideswiped this morning by an idiot who just had to be in the right lane right then. Nothing in the left lane in front of her, she didn't have to exit. Just wanted to get over NOW!

And do you think the bitch backed off when she realized somebody was already coming over?
Of course not!

And as I veered back to the right and slowed down because I was running out of lane, who do you suppose got the dirty look? Who was the rear end in a top hat in this situation?
Clearly, it was me.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I wonder how many of these people we're sharing the road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krwMQfVOl0

Stanley Roberts posted:

Stanley Roberts is with Campbell Police as they talk to a driver who admits crossing his fingers every time he hits the road due to vision problems. The Officers were part of the Santa Clara County Joint Traffic Enforcement Task Force

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I don't know it it was because this guy was a vet pissed off at the world because of a war injury he couldn't get over, or an older guy pissed at the world because everybody is younger than him, but what a dick.

I'm on 695 three cars back from a Chevy Suburban with a purple heart logo on it. Growing line of cars behind it and sticking at about 55mph. After passing an exit the right lane is clear so the two cars in front of me promptly
move to the right lane and pass him, followed closely by three other cars from behind me somewhere.

As the last couple of cars are passing him, dick floors it, accelerating up to about 80mph. I'd have liked to have thought that the people passing him simply woke him up to the fact that he was driving too slow, but
even then I knew he was only trying to cut off the people passing him. He failed with those first five cars, but caught up to traffic in the right lane and promptly cut his speed back down to 60mph by braking sharply, practically
brake checking the line of cars that had accelerated behind him.

He continues along for the next few miles going just slightly faster than traffic in the right lane, a large and growing gap in front of him as the people who passed him never needed to slow down.

Then we get to the Key Bridge. He's next to a tanker truck, and as we start up onto the bridge he lets up on the gas dropping down to 45mph. The whole time he's looking to the right, either at his passenger or
his passenger side mirror, then up at his rear view, then to the left, either at his driver side mirror or sight seeing.

We get over the bridge and through the tolls, I think somebody may have managed to get past him as we passed an exit right after the tolls that left the right lane open. So he moves into the right lane and catches
up to some utility van who also shouldn't have been in the left lane. He paces them for a few minutes before moving back into the left lane in front of the van to pace an even slower work truck. At some
point he must have started getting a little too far ahead of the work truck because the van had to brake suddenly.

He paces this work truck for three or four miles. Somebody farther back in line pulled into the right lane and caught up with the work truck, then used an exit lane to pass the truck and speed off up
the highway. I think that's an rear end in a top hat move, but at the same time I kind of understood, and even envied him a little for being free.

At some point we passed an on ramp, and the work truck slowed down to make room for people getting on the highway. Dick didn't. The new people were driving faster than dick leaving a growing opening in the
right lane. The utility van which had been quite content to drive too slow before dick showed was the first to move over and floor it past him. The car behind me got over and passed us, and then I got over and
followed suit. I glanced in my rear view and at least two other people were already moving over to pass as well. Some time during this dick accelerated as well but I think at this point anybody who wanted to pass
him was going to pass him.

He was clearly trying to antagonize everybody else, but why? Was he punishing the people behind him because he was pissed at the people who already passed him, was he pissed at the people behind him for daring to want to go
faster than him, or does he just regularly troll people on the highway and today was our day to encounter him?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Some guy started hulking out on me today and I'm not sure why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0-Y_XX0H4

If you have annotations turned off, black truck can be seen on my right at about :15 blocking a cargo van from safely merging. I didn't even notice the truck until he started brake checking me so I have no clue what set him off.
When he came to a complete stop I had thought that traffic stopped ahead of him (it frequently does at this point) so I waited to move. I think he got mad I didn't respond or try to pass because he eventually flipped me off and then burned out.

I had something similar to this happen to me a few months ago. I still don't know what he thought I did to him.

Murphys Law posted:

This morning I encountered a road rager that I'm too baffled by to be pissed at.

I'm just driving along when a guy in an SUV to right flashes his signal once, then jerks his car into the space in front of me, forcing me to brake. I don't think he did as some kind of gesture against me or anything, he was just an rear end with bad timing who wanted to pass the guy in front of him.

About a minute or so after this I've passed the car that had been in front of him, and since my exit is coming up I merge to the right, and since the lane is empty I put on a little speed.

Another minute or so after that I've passed the last car in the right lane and merge into it. As I'm doing this, SUV guy flashes his signal a few times (maybe) and jerks his car across the lane I was leaving and into the right lane behind me. I'm not sure how much he cleared the other car in the right lane by because I was only two car lengths ahead of them, tops.

As I'm looking in my rear view, he flips me off. Flips me off so hard his arm is shaking. I've never seen anybody strrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaiiinnnnnn so hard to flip somebody off before. Then, as I'm passing the first exit, he takes the exit, accelerates and passes me just to flip me off (straining) again.

I have no idea why. I'd never seen him before he cut me off, we didn't race, block each other, gesture to each other or anything up until that point. My first encounter with him was him cutting me off. I can only imagine he thought I'd cut him off when I merged to the right ahead of his two lane merge, but he could have just moved into the lane I'd just left and passed me there without any problem at all. The road was wide open.

Today I had a dump truck towing a small crane in the left lane of a 4 lane stretch of highway in traffic that was moving at an otherwise decent speed, with an entire line of cars behind him moving to the right to pass.

Yesterday, I'm in a center lane with traffic moving about 45 mph. The SUV behind the car to my left merges two lanes to the right, passes me, merges two lanes back to the left in the small gap between me and the car in front of me, forcing me to brake, passes the car in front of me and merges two lanes back to the right, gets onto the off ramp, then pulls back into the right lane. As I'm passing him he's driving next to the line of cars on the off ramp with his head turned to the right like he's looking for a gap to pull back in.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
When somebody only flashes their signal once when they've already merged halfway into the small gap in front of you do they honestly think this is an appropriate amount of indicating or are they just mocking you at that point?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

People will actually hit their signal once before merging? That's better than the poo poo I encounter on a daily basis. I have no qualms letting people over if they signal and are a little patient, but apparently using your indicator to, uh... indicate is just not cool anymore.

In my experience the single signal always happens during merging, not before. It's a half-assed attempt to let you know what they are already doing. I haven't decided yet if this annoys me more than not signalling at all.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I hate road rage as much as the next guy but I'll be damned if some people aren't just asking for somebody to reach in their window and smash their face against the steering wheel to wake them up.

Leaving work today I reach the point at the top of a hill where the road becomes two lanes, one that will go straight, and one that will go to the exit for the highway. About 2/3 of the way down there is a business park on the right.
As I'm approaching in the right lane I see a woman in a jeep pulling up to the street. At first I don't think she's going to stop (cutting people off is this area's second favorite thing to do after driving below the speed limit), but she actually does stop.

It's a trap!

Once I've cut my already shrinking distance from her in half she starts to pull out. gently caress the car bearing down on her.

I start braking and move into the left lane to pass her. But she's not turning into the right lane, she's turning into the left lane. I veer back into the right lane.

It's another trap!

When I'm halfway past her I realize she's continuing the arc of her turn back into the right lane. gently caress! I brake and veer to the right and lean on the horn and hear a brief scraping sound from the front passenger side of my car (which I got three months ago). Great, just got curb rash on my front wheel. She veers back into the left lane and comes to a complete stop, blocking another car.

I'm pissed, and in that brief moment I decide it's probably not worth the trouble of trying to get her to pull over and convince her she's responsible to a little cosmetic damage to my wheel. God knows I caused a little curb rash on my old car a couple of times just parallel parking.

So I make my right turn, she turns right behind me and moves into the left lane because she's not going the same way on the highway. I'm stopped at the light before the ramp and her lane is a little shorter so she slowly passes me. One hand on the wheel, the other in her lap, presumably holding her phone. Not even a glance in my direction to say "sorry" or "gently caress you" or whatever.

I get home and there's surprisingly little curb rash on the wheel, but new light scratches on the bottom of my front fender, thankfully in an inconspicuous spot. I think I can fix it well enough with touch-up paint but god damnit gently caress that loving bitch.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

I guess you could say that interaction was a case of... Murphy's Law

Hahaha, ya, I suppose it was.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I know this has been covered before but are we really so lazy as a country that we can't turn the steering wheel just a little bit farther so we turn into the lane we actually want to be in instead of going way out into the second lane, so the driver behind us thinks that's the lane we want to be in and starts to pass us, before continuing the arc of our turn back into the first lane? That was jackass number one this morning, and not really a big deal because that is so common now that it doesn't get more than an eye roll from me.

It's rear end in a top hat number two that pissed me off. rear end in a top hat number two is the kind of guy I want to see this happen to.

There's a two lane road in my area that becomes the left lane for 695. About 1/4 mile before this the right lane ends.

I'm in the left lane in a line of cars traveling at a decent speed. As I'm passing the merge point, and with plenty of space behind me, some rear end in a top hat in a black car with blacked out logos and tinted windows starts to pass me on the right. While we're still overlapping by at least 3/4 of a car length (if I were a little farther up I could turn my head 90 degrees and look at him, assuming I could see him through the tint) he begins merging. I know he's aware of me, how could he not be, but he merges like I'm not even there. Didn't even hesitate a little bit. I lean on my horn and he continues over in a smooth, steady motion. Of course I back off. And of course that's why he did it. Because the way he did it leaves me no doubt that he does this all the time because he knows that 95% of other drivers will back off rather than risk some lunatic hitting them over a single car length in line.

It's probably why he has tinted windows. It's not a status symbol or to look cool or whatever. He knows everybody else will want to kill him and is trying to hid his identity.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

Accurate. A $500 car and a forced maniacal unhinged grin when someone tries to bully you on the road go a LONG way.

Maybe start drifting in their direction as well to close the gap faster?

Maybe also get rims like on the war rig.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
There's an ongoing debate on my radio station in Baltimore about zipper merging.

Up until recently I thought the reason so many people didn't zipper merge was that they simply weren't aware of the concept. They simply thought that the people who stayed in the lane all the way until the end were cheating and contributing to the traffic problem. One DJ disagrees with the other on the subject. Listeners disagree with them and each other. They have gotten all kinds of nasty messages on the subject. People are outright lovely about zipper mergers.

You'd think that if somebody explained it to them or showed them one of the websites that demonstrate it they would change their minds, and I'm sure in some cases this is true. But man are there a lot of people out there who don't want to hear the explanation, or see the demos. This is what they think and nothing will convince them otherwise (this really shouldn't be surprising).

If you see a sign indicating a lane is ending, get over.
What if traffic is backed up to that point? Get over anyway! (which would probably result in something like a zipper merge there instead of a mile up the road)
What if traffic is backed up past that point? Get over anyway! or Get over sooner!
I guess even if you don't know why one lane is slow and the other is empty and open ahead of you. So one lane will be a growing line of cars while the other empty for increasing distances.

This is what people are arguing for. Anybody who doesn't do this is an rear end in a top hat. Insults are being flung around for this mentality.

Maryland drivers suck.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Living where I live and having the commute that I have I see at least a few idiots/assholes everyday.

Today it was the work van traveling about 55 in the left lane on the beltway. The car in front of me moves over and passes him on the right and I follow. The car gets a pretty decent distance ahead of the van and moves back over. We're coming up on a slower truck in the right lane and I want to get back over and this is when the rear end in a top hat in the van decides to floor it. He was quite fine puttering along at 55 but he'll be drat if somebody is going to drive faster than him. What an insult!

So I end up back behind him and he lets up on the gas. We eventually pass all the traffic on the right and I pass him again. He tried to pace me again but started falling back at 70 and eventually disappeared in the distance behind me.

Why? What does this accomplish? What is the thought process behind it and how do they justify it after the fact? "I'm going to be dick to this guy just for the sake of being a dick." "Ha! I sure showed him. That'll teach him to want to drive faster than somebody else.GO ME!"

The other day, about a block away from a four way stop in my neighborhood I see a motorcycle already stopped there on the left. He could have gone at any time as I approached the intersection. But just sat there, looking at me.
I get there and stop. He just sat there.
The guy coming the other way gets there and stops. He just sat there, looking back and forth at both of us.
The guy behind me stops. He continues to sit there.
I get tired of waiting and start rolling. The guy across from me does the same. This is the moment the biker decides to go.

Why?
At first I thought that even though the signs in all directions are clearly visible if you pay just a little attention, maybe he didn't realized it was a four way stop at first. But that should have been cleared up when the cars in not one, but two other directions stopped and were clearly looking at him to do something.
Then I figured maybe he was being overly cautious and waiting for us to stop. But then he sat there after we were stopped, and only started going after we were both moving.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I think the ambulance driver was just being an rear end. Even without knowing for sure whether or not you're only supposed to pull over to the right, if you were clearly getting out of the way you'd think his priority would be getting his patient to the hospital, not playing traffic cop.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Had an impatient BMW driver this morning. On 95 south near Baltimore there is a left exit onto 695. A box truck to my right wanted to get over so I eased up on the gas to let him. As he starts merging in front of me the BMW behind me jerks into the right lane and I hear an extended honk as he starts to pass me.

I don't know if it was him honking at me for letting the truck over,
or him honking at the truck for coming over,
or him honking at somebody two lanes over who was about to merge left,
or the guy he got in front of honking at him.

So his dash to the right and back to the left gains him three car lengths which quickly became one car length when the two cars in front of me got on 695.

Good job, champ.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Here's one of the bus drivers we share the road with.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-chappell-license-20161103-story.html

quote:

The driver of a school bus that careened into an oncoming bus Tuesday causing a deadly crash in Southwest Baltimore was not legally permitted to be driving a school bus, state officials said Thursday.

The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration had revoked Glenn Chappell's commercial driving privileges two months ago because he failed to provide the agency with a certificate showing he was in good health.

The revelation raised questions about how well the Baltimore school system monitors the standing of drivers in its fleet of contract buses. City schools officials did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

An attorney for the bus company, AAAfordable Transportation Inc., said Chappell passed a physical exam five months ago.

"Whether or not he failed to produce a copy to the MVA, or he produced a copy and they didn't appropriately note it on his record, or they misplaced it, I have no idea," said George Bogris, the attorney.

Chappell, 67, was killed when his school bus smashed into a Maryland Transit Administration bus. The MTA driver and four adult passengers on that bus also were killed. City and federal investigators continue to search for answers. Baltimore police said they're trying to determine whether Chappell suffered some medical emergency before the violent collision.

His family has been left to grieve and wonder what caused his school bus to veer off course.

"There had to be something. What? I'm not clear," said son Moses Chappell.

The family is waiting for autopsy results from the state medical examiner's office.

"He took care of himself. I never even saw my father drink a beer," Moses Chappell said. He said he did not know if his father suffered any health problems. "He never had a heart attack. ... I was just wondering if they're going to check his heart."

AAAfordable Transportation, a small bus company in Southwest Baltimore, is one of seven companies contracted by Baltimore schools to transport students. The company offered condolences to the victims in a statement Thursday.

"We would ask that the investigators be permitted to complete their work in the absence of speculative conclusions about what happened in the moments leading up to the accident or about the individuals involved," the company said in the statement.

Owner Mark Williams declined to say more.

"My lawyer is saying I'm not allowed to give any information," he said.

Before 7 a.m. Tuesday, Glenn Chappell and a bus aide were traveling east on Frederick Avenue to pick up their first child in Irvington. The school bus rear-ended a Ford Mustang, hit a concrete pillar and continued another block before crashing into the MTA bus.

Witnesses described mangled buses, trapped passengers and cries for help. Nine MTA passengers and the bus aide were injured. One woman woke to find glass in her mouth and two bodies lying on her.

Those killed include the MTA bus driver, Ebonee Baker, 33, a mother of four children and three stepchildren; Cherry Yarborough, 51, a secretary at the state Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; Gerald Holloway, 51, a maintenance worker at Forest Haven Nursing and Rehabilitation; and Terrance Casey, 52, a former volunteer minister, husband and father. Police have not publicly identified the last person killed, a 46-year-old woman.

"I feel for these other five families," Moses Chappell said. "I'm thankful there were no children on that bus. I'm thankful the aide survived."

AAAfordable has been contracted by the city school system since 2010, school officials said. And the contracted bus drivers must meet health standards. Glenn Chappell passed an annual physical in June, school officials said.

But his commercial driving privileges were revoked by state authorities Sept. 1, according to the MVA. State officials had warned Chappell twice, in July and again in September, that he would lose his driving privileges if he didn't provide a new medical certificate by the end of August.

MVA officials said his prior medical certification expired Sept. 1 and he was not legally permitted to drive a school bus.

Local school systems are responsible for monitoring the driving records of their bus drivers, even those working for contractors, said Bill Reinhard, spokesman for the state Board of Education. They are required to enter the names of banned drivers within 30 days into a database of disqualified school bus drivers maintained by the Maryland State Department of Education. The database allows schools to vet job candidates.

The database is confidential and the department can't say whether Chappell's name was entered, said Bill Reinhard, a state education spokesman.

State regulations allow for drivers' medical examinations to be reviewed by the public. But school officials did not comply with a request Thursday for Chappell's medical certificate.

Federal law requires employers to hold medical certificates for all their drivers with commercial licenses. The drivers must be examined by a doctor listed in a national registry to obtain a certification that lasts up to two years, said MVA spokesman Chuck Brown. The registry lists several hundred such doctors in the Baltimore area.

The MVA is "actively assisting law enforcement's bus crash investigation," officials said in a statement.

Police found no indication that the brakes on the school bus were applied before the collision. Officers said they planned to ask the bus aide what happened before the wreck.

Glenn Chappell has faced other driving-related legal problems.

Howard County was suing him over $150 in unpaid traffic tickets, court records show, but officials had been unable to locate him to serve legal papers. The suit stemmed from two incidents in 2014 when traffic cameras caught a car registered to Chappell running red lights in Columbia. Pictures from the camera included in court filings do not show whether Chappell was driving.

Chappell was sued for $30,000 over a 2007 crash in which another driver said Chappell tried to make a left-hand turn in front of him. The case was settled in 2010.

Moses Chappell described his father as a cautious, experienced driver. He drove a city taxi, a tractor-trailer and school bus over decades.

"My father has been a driver all his life," Moses Chappell said. "My father has literally received bonuses for his safe driving."

Glenn Chappell was raised in East Baltimore near Johns Hopkins Hospital. He once worked as a mechanic rebuilding transmissions and continued to tinker with cars throughout his life.

"He was the messiah of cars," his son said. "You could have a car that hadn't run in years, and he could get it running."

Later, when Moses Chappell was grown and having car troubles, his father would discourage him from spending money on a mechanic.

"He would say, 'Moses, this is just too much. You got to let me show you how to do it,'" he said.

The father and son had experienced some friction in the past. Moses Chappell filed a protective order against his father four years ago, but he said they had since reconciled. Glenn Chappell doted on his 6-year-old granddaughter and 1-year-old grandson, his son said.

"He was the reason I wanted to be a father. He was the reason I wanted to have a family," Moses Chappell said. "My family is experiencing a lot of pain. None of us expected it."

http://www.newswest9.com/clip/12871332/bus-crash-leaves-6-dead-10-injured

http://www.newswest9.com/story/33619211/driver-in-2-bus-crash-wasnt-authorized-to-drive-school-bus
He ignored two warning letters that his medical certificate saying he was good to drive was about to expire, and then that he was no longer allowed to drive a commercial motor vehicle. His employer dropped the ball on getting an updated certificate from him or not letting him drive. He also had driving violations and an assault charge that should have disqualified him from driving a bus.

Yesterday, early in the morning, a semi on northbound 95 somehow crossed the median, and I think busted through a guardrail, to wind up 3 lanes deep on southbound 95, hitting a couple of cars and I believe causing a chemical/gas leak. Four lanes of traffic funneled down to the right shoulder. This pretty much set the tone for rush hour in the entire region for the whole morning.

Edit: Where the hell did I learn to quote?

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 4, 2016

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
This morning I encountered one of those guys who likes to weave in and out of multiple lanes looking for the fastest route to speed ahead of everybody only to be bounced back by traffic a lot. I know, big deal, they're a dime a dozen. Living in Baltimore County it's not a matter of will you encounter one, it's a matter of how many you'll encounter.

It was his introduction to the morning routine that made him stand out.

I'm in the right lane on 695. I've just past the on-ramp from route 7, and my lane becomes the off-ramp to get onto 95. There is nobody at all behind me, and a car and a school bus in front of me, both of which just got on the highway, and signal that they want to move left into the new right lane.

From somewhere behind me a horn starts blowing the moment their signals came back on for their merge. An SUV in the right travel lane doesn't like that these people are trying to get on the highway a good five or six car lengths ahead of him. He waits until he's practically on the bumper of the car that just merged to finally slam on the brakes, because he totally didn't see the merge coming or have time to slow down before then.

He's still leaning on the horn. The car isn't picking up speed yet because the school bus still needs to get over. The school bus was probably a little slow about starting to merge because they were trying to figure out who was honking, and why, and were reluctant to get in the way. But they were running out of room to merge so they finally get over.

The rear end in a top hat is still leaning on his horn. And this isn't a second or third long honk, this is still the first honk that started behind me. It went something like:
hhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNK

So the car and school bus start picking up more speed. The rear end in a top hat finally lets up on the horn, then moves over onto the off ramp in front me, because he was getting onto 95 anyway. Just a reminder, there was nobody at all behind me. He could have just moved over to begin with without throwing a fit, but then I guess he'd have been passing up on the chance of maybe missing his exit trying to race to the front of the line to cut everybody off at the gore point. Anyway, as he starts passing the car he gives them another long honk and a dirty look. Because they totally cut him off with nothing but five or six car lengths of warning from the lane he should have already pulled into.

We get onto 95 and work our way over to the left lane. We drive along for a couple of minutes before he moves one lane to the right to pass the car in front of him. I can tell before he even starts to accelerate that he's not even going to come close to making it, there's not enough room and the gap is closing.

I finally get a look at him as I'm passing. He's exactly who I expected him to be. Youngish douchebag.

He pulls back in behind me, we pass a couple more people, and he moves back to the right, and speeds up. Then moves another lane to the right to pass a truck that also starts merging to the right, which it was already signalling it was going to do. So he merges into the far right lane to pass the truck.

I lose him on the other side of the truck, and don't see him for a while...until he shows up one lane to the right starting to pass me. But he runs out of room, again, and pulls in behind me, again.

Finally, after the 895 split he gets a big enough opening in a couple of lanes to speed off into traffic ahead somewhere. I think I've seen the last of him.

I get through the tolls, through the tunnel, and am cruising along a few miles past the tunnel he shows up again. He was starting to pass me two lanes over, then had to merge so he's one lane over, then falls back and gets in line behind me, yet again. And he stayed there until he reached his exit and merged all the way over.

He could have just gotten in line behind me way back on 695 and cruised along with traffic in the left lane and it wouldn't have made the least bit a difference in his travel time.

And I can't help but wonder if he was aware that the car in front of him was the same one he passed way back on 695. That all his weaving and speeding and poo poo had made no difference at all. Do any of the assholes like him ever come to this realization, that their driving is poo poo and they're acting like an rear end in a top hat?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
God there are a lot of lovely drivers out there today.

First, there was the jackass that cut me off because he just couldn't wait for me to pass before pulling out of the lot. Then, after making me slam on the brakes he goes slower than I had been going. Of course.

A short time later, as we're both about to turn right, the guy in front of him slams on his brakes, then crosses two lanes into the left turn lane.

Then, at a light, I'm in the right lane to get on the ramp to the highway, and there's a modded little Mazda next to me. I just knew what was going to happen when the light changed, and he did not disappoint. The light turns green and he floors it and gets in front of me. Then slows down. Because he didn't need to go faster, he just needed to go first.

Then there was the guy moving back and forth from one lane to the other trying to get past the line of cars in front of me. For a couple miles when there w as obviously no change in either lane that would allow for that.

Later, sitting in the right lane of a dual right turn out of a parking lot, the rear end in a top hat in the jeep to my left turn across my path into my lane nearly hitting me.

A little farther down the road I come across the clueless twit in an SUV. Driving below the speed limit, obviously slower that everybody else on the road, and I couldn't get past her. But maybe she's not turning the same way I am...or she is. But there are two lanes for a short distance, I'll just turn into whichever lane she doesn't turn into...but she straddles both lanes and I don't feel safe squeezing past her. But the speed limit is only 35 here, surely she can drive at least that fast...or not.

This was only a twenty minute drive, including a stop at the bank.

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 17, 2017

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

iospace posted:

Spotted last night: a guy so impatient he had to tailgate me on a one lane bridge even though there was traffic in front of me, and then proceeded to do so even though I was going 10 over /in the right lane/.

Tailgating in heavy traffic is baffling to me. My sister once had somebody keep honking their horn at her because she wasn't right up the rear end of the car in front of her in stop and go traffic.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

bolind posted:

With regard to the multi-passing-then-tee-boning-a-cop thing:

At least in my jurisdiction, the cop would have 2/3rds fault and the cam guy 1/3rd fault. I was in an identical accident (much lower speed though) where I had the "cop" role, so I looked it up.

The argument is this:

When driving on the right hand side of the road, a left turn is the "most oddball" thing you can do, and therefore has the highest "yield rating" i.e. you're on the lowest rung and need to yield to everyone else. This includes a left turn on a highway. If this wasn't the case, you could simply turn left into anyone passing you and claim that he passed you while you were clearly turning left. There might be other factors such as speed and visibility, but those are the facts.

In practice, don't pass a handful of cars at 150% of their speed. There's probably a reason they're doing what they're doing. Also, don't turn left without looking.

This makes it sound like he got screwed over by the letter of the law when the intent of the law was just to yield to the traffic going to the other way.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Rolls coal as the blast through an intersection.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I know it was a week ago but I just got an update on this situation yesterday afternoon. Initial estimate on Monday was $12,300 in damage and the body shop found another $5k then just stopped looking. It passed the threshold for a total loss at that point. I wonder how she will feel knowing she totaled out a brand new WRX just to try and get away from that stop sign ten seconds sooner. Who am I kidding, she will never think of this again or learn a lesson from it.

I'd like to think the fact that she totaled a brand new car to the tune of several thousand dollars will raise her insurance rate and remind her every time she makes her monthly payment.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Some people in my neighborhood really need to learn how stop signs work.

The other day I come up to a 4 way stop. I stop first, then the guy going the opposite direction from me stops second, and the guy to the right who wants to turn left onto my road stops third.
As I move my foot from my brake to the gas pedal and start moving through the intersection the guy going in the opposite direction, number 2, waves to the guy to my right, number 3, to go ahead.
Luckily, the guy to the right was either paying attention or does understand how stop signs work and didn't go.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I got rear-ended by a kid on his bike at a stop sign once. He and his friend were riding up behind me. He apparently decided to take his shirt off just as I was coming to a stop.
As I started rolling again I feel a thump and hear the kid fall over. And then his friend started laughing his rear end off.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

I got both barrels from a semi the other day for letting a car merge in stopped traffic.

Never having been in a semi I'm not sure what visibility they have in the area near the front right tire, but there was a long line of cars trying to enter the highway and I know he's got mirrors. But instead of letting anyone in he stayed glued to my bumper until there was literally no pavement left, so I came to a full stop to let a guy in.

gently caress off trucker, we're all on the same side in a traffic jam.

Ya, I don't get the thinking of people who are aggressively against letting anybody merge in front of them, even in stop and go traffic at the end of an on-ramp. A few weeks ago, getting off 95 onto 32 it was some rear end in a top hat in a work van who would lurch forward to almost hit the car in front of him, and never back off more than a few inches from that car's bumper to avoid, at all cost letting me in front of him.

At first I thought he was just inching forward with everybody else waiting for the merge ahead to sort itself out. And it was an unusually successful zipper merge. Nobody merged early for a change and the right lane and on-ramp got along great! Until this guy.

So it was basically that lane went, this lane went, that lane, this lane, that lane, this lane, that lane, this lane, that lane, this lane, that lane, this lane, that lane, THAT LANE BECAUSE gently caress YOU!!! I looked over at him like "really?" and then he started gesturing all angrily at me as if I'd just unreasonably tried to cut him off forcing him to slam on his brakes from a perfectly fine travel lane and he hadn't just watched two entire lines of traffic alternating without a hitch before that point. So I got behind him, and I guess his day was better for it.

What are people thinking when they do this? In their heads, what does this accomplish? Has this somehow saved them any time? Are they punishing people who look like somebody who pissed them off earlier? Is it just for the satisfaction of being a dick to a complete stranger and nothing more than that?

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 17, 2017

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Drive faster! It's right on our rear end!

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I hate road rage as much as the next guy but I'll be damned if some people aren't just asking for somebody to drag them out of their car and beat the living poo poo out of them.

I'm in the left lane, and the guy to my right starts to come over. And it's not like he miss judged the gap and made me slow down a little, I was next to him. If he had any kind of peripheral vision he had to see me. I didn't even realize he was definitely merging at first, I thought he was drifting a little. I mean, he couldn't possibly think...oh poo poo! I leaned on the horn but he kept coming, staring at me as I'm veering to the shoulder as if daring me to not get out of his way.

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 23, 2017

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
So lane splitting between two lines of steady traffic that are moving at 70mph is ok, right?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Some guy on the highway was merging into my lane (I was all the way on the right since I was about to exit in a few miles), apparently wasn't looking, and came close to hitting the side of my car, so I honked.

He didn't like that, so he got behind me, tailgated me for about 2 minutes, then at the first opportunity he had he gunned it past me, merged in front of me, then... left the highway.

Well ok dude. Really showed me.

Ya, I love the people who punish you for their own gently caress ups. There's an off ramp near where I live that becomes the right lane for about a quarter of a mile. People love to cross the gore point here to either get on the on ramp to the highway or turn right into a restaurant or at the intersection farther up. One evening somebody crosses the gore point, almost hits the side of my car, realizes I'm there and veers back into their lane, slows down and gets behind me, and turns on their high beams. Because gently caress me for already being where he wanted to be.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Two days ago I had some shithead stop in the middle of the highway in front of me because he wanted to exit. This was on the outer loop of 695 at rt. 40 by Golden Ring in Baltimore for anybody who knows the area.

His options here were:
A. Take the next exit and cross Golden Ring Plaza to get back over to 40.
B. Take the next exit, turn left, then use the cross road near the end of Golden Ring Plaza to get back over to 40.
C. Take the next exit, turn right, then use the cross road near the other end of Golden Ring Plaza to get back over to 40.
D. Take the next exit, and get back on 695 to travel the very short distance back to 40.

He chose E. Stop dead in the middle of the highway with his signal on to wait for an opening in the right lane. At least he signaled, right?
Traffic is flying past us on both sides. I'm leaning on the horn, terrified somebody is going to slam into the back of me at 60mph.
After what seemed like an eternity but was probably just a few seconds he gets his opening and slowly crosses the right lane to get over.
I have no idea if he cut anybody off doing this, or if anybody had to slam on their brakes or try to veer around him, because I was just focusing on flooring it and getting back up to speed as quickly as possible as soon as there was room to squeeze past his car.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3351069,-76.4859529,16.25z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
What is it with the people who travel for miles in the left lane at one speed who then accelerate the second they begin merging to the right and maintain the higher speed there?