Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
These are the people you’re about to share a road with:

https://twitter.com/complex/status/1255634158916907009?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Protocol7 posted:

I don't know what your point is. Most people driving today would probably fail a driving test - hell, I probably would too. You should always drive as if the guy next to you is trying to kill you, because he probably is, he just doesn't know it yet.

I mean it's a dumb solution to a bad problem, don't get me wrong, but I don't think anyone in Georgia will see a spike in substantially worse driving.

Instead of making it so that you can get a full license without a test, which will presumably be valid for life, it would be more reasonable to say you can exercise the privileges of a full license with just a learner's permit, until such time as road tests can resume, if it's really necessary that people with learner's permits be able to drive on their own RIGHT NOW.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What I love about people who are really committed to not letting me merge ahead of them, assuming it's not heavy traffic, is that they will inevitably go so fast in an effort to prevent it that I can easily tap the brakes, merge behind them no problem, and then I have someone in front of me looking out for cops! Frankly, I wish more people would get offended by the idea of me going faster than them and flush out speedtraps for me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Phanatic posted:

These are the people you share a sidewalk with because you threw rocks at them when they were on the road:

https://twitter.com/ChuckeEChaves/status/1272515598493384704

I mean, of course.... OF COURSE you shouldn't run someone over for throwing rocks at cars. On the other hand... bet they won't be throwing any more rocks any time soon! Everyone in the video is awful and they probably deserve whatever bad things come their way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think quarantine made drivers worse. Everyone decided the ideal speed to go yesterday was 10 under the limit (in dry, sunny conditions), a few people just stopped in the middle of the road for no reason, and one guy tried to cut across a gore point and ram me because going to the next intersection and making a left wasn't his favourite way. Then after I honked at his stupid rear end and braked to avoid a serious accident, he proceeded to slow down to about 20 under the limit, and then speed up to 30 over the limit.

Situational loving awareness, motherfucker: use it!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I noticed another cyclist blowing through a four-way stop yesterday, near the same place I saw one do the same thing and give me the finger for taking my right-of-way the other day, but this time I paid a little bit more attention to the full situation, and I realized why it was happening: they don't have stop signs, because in each case they were going the wrong way on a one-way street.

Seems like either the bike lanes should be marked to indicate they are one-way only, or an extra stop sign should be added. This is exacerbated by the fact that there are a few two-way bike lanes on one-way streets in my city.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Raluek posted:

do the bike lanes not have arrows on them? the ones here do.

ive definitely almost eaten poo poo on my bike because someone rounded a corner on their bike into the bike lane going the wrong way on a one-way. bikes are vehicles too but it seems like literally nobody besides me treats them that way

when i was in school and riding to class, out of the hundreds of bicyclists i would see in a week, i think one or two were simultaneously following road rules, in the bike lane, going the right way, wearing a helmet. its insane how prevalent assholes are

I don't think they do, but the streets are clearly indicated as one-way streets and these bike lanes (unlike the ones which are properly two-way on a one-way street) aren't separated by a curb and don't have a dividing line down the middle of the bike lane itself, so they are clearly meant to be one-way only. That being said, it would be a good idea to have directional arrows painted on the bike paths and perhaps extra stop signs for the "wrong way" just to increase safety.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Y'know, I don't mind if cyclists do a rolling stop at a 4-way stop if they clearly have right of way and there's no traffic. But they really must yield right of way to traffic that has already stopped and now has right of way, and this is especially true if they're riding down the wrong side of the loving road on the sidewalk. Dude nearly t-boned me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Had a very lovely commute home today. There were some slow people, there were some fast people, there were some cyclists, there were some pedestrians, but everyone behaved predictably, safely and in a considerate fashion, giving way or stopping when required, driving as if they know where they're going, and it makes me think there is actually some degree of hope for humanity.

Would it kill everyone to just... do this all the loving time? Why is that so difficult? Traffic, even mixed between pedestrians, cyclists and drivers, can work in a very safe and pleasant fashion if we all just pay attention and make good choices.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I saw something yesterday and it still confuses me. I was behind someone at a three-way stop (a two-way street intersecting with a one-way street). Car ahead of me has no indicator on, and is stopped with right of way at the stop sign. They proceed to pull into the crosswalk, which is occupied at the time, nose toward going the wrong way down the one way street, and then turn on their flashers. People including the driver proceed to get out of the vehicle and start removing their belongings from the car.

How did the driver think this was an acceptable loading zone? Were there not many superior options they could have chosen? Could they at least have waited until the pedestrian in the crosswalk had fully crossed the street? Was that driver aware that they are not the only user of the road? So many questions left unanswered....

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If I'm driving in a situation where I believe my lights should be on, I switch the headlight switch to "On."

They turn on automatically most of the time I would want them on in the "auto" position anyway, but I consider that I backup in case I gently caress up, not a replacement for turning my lights on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

One thing I really can't stand about photo radar vans is when they repeatedly park in the same place over and over again. Just install a fixed camera if that specific spot requires such frequent enforcement.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tex Avery posted:

Texas does a similar thing, but they'll put a block on being able to renew the registration for your car. It's a particularly lovely scheme.

They do that here, and it's not a moving violation, but you still have the option to contest it in court. So, for example, you couldn't say "I wasn't driving," since the ticket is given to the registered owner of the vehicle, but you could make the claim that it's not actually your car if it's not.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honestly a full stop versus a "safe" rolling stop takes at most 2 seconds, you're never too busy to just do it properly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

In general I agree with the argument that speed limits should match the natural speed of a road, but there's certain situations where that's not possible. If you're on a rural road with a bunch of driveways going up to it, you either have to artificially make the road less tempting to drive fast on, put a lot of money into making sure every intersection with a driveway has adequate visibility, or just say "no actually, there are residences here and you have to go 60 km/h or slower regardless of the fact you want to go faster."

Same thing with school zones and construction zones. You never know quite what hazards you're going to encounter, so you must go a slower speed regardless of the fact that, at any given time, it may not seem dangerous. People are very bad at judging the impact of those sorts of less commonly occurring hazards, so while the natural speed argument may work for setting the limit on a controlled access freeway or a highway in buttfuck-nowhere, there are situations where it's not entirely feasible and people just have to follow the limit.

That being said, the limit should in that case be made reasonable relative to potential hazards, not set artificially low.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jamal posted:

I notice a lot of people have trouble with left turns across big intersections. Like just cannot turn in one continuous smooth arc, it's always turn early, then go straight, then have to make a sharp tight corner at the end. One in particular there's a double turn lane and a dotted while line to follow. Still no.

I do this sometimes when I'm in the inner lane because I see too many fuckers cut the corner in the outside lane despite the presence of painted lines. In the outer lane, I maintain the lane smoothly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

Autopilot is fine, giving it to people who's certification for operating a vehicle is granted by filling out a scantron form and taking a bored stranger for a drive around the block is not fine.

Airplanes aren't constantly slamming in to mountains on autopilot because the people using those tools are trained and heavily regulated.

Autopilot in an airplane is way more analogous to normal adaptive cruise control in a car: basically, automating the trivial, annoying bits out and making them more precise than you could get with manual human input alone (important in some circumstances like very low-visibility approaches). As pilot-flying, you're still responsible for monitoring the system, avoiding hazards, making decisions, and ensuring the autopilot is behaving the way you think it ought to, and being ready to take manual control if necessary. The 1% gap between "can do 99% of things" and "can do 100% of things" is a really important 1%.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

It wasn't brought up to draw a direct comparison between airplane autopilot and car autopilot. The point was supposed to be that tools aren't stupid, just the tools using them.

I get that, I just wanted to make the point that what we would consider a "car autopilot" is significantly more complex than anything which currently exists in terms of an aircraft autopilot. It's not that the drivers are necessarily terrible, it's that what currently exists is not a safe system and it cannot be made to become a safe system without huge advancements. If you had perfect driver training, it would still not be safe, because we know the weaknesses inherent in human operators. You can't pay attention to the degree you need to pay attention in order to react quickly enough when something goes wrong, while at the same time having been essentially removed from the process of driving the car for any length of time.

Or, to put it more simply:

NoWake posted:

If piloting an aircraft involved constantly steering along a relatively narrow path, while avoiding a constant stream of oncoming obstacles, and simply veering off-course for 6 seconds meant you'd wreck, you wouldn't have an autopilot up there, either.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dylan16807 posted:

It can't stay in its lane on a freeway, and it can't spot stationary objects. It's not fine, and the problem is not lack of expertise.

I'm fine with the changeover risk. If I need to take control of the car in an instant it's probably because some kind of crash is happening, but if some kind of crash is happening the car can brake much faster than I can. I'll take control afterwards.

The stuff that keeps me away from self-driving right now is much more boneheaded, but much more fixable.

It's addressed in that twitter thread, which you should read fully, but the short version of this: monitoring with adequate vigilance for an extremely uncommon event where you need to take control is essentially impossible. If you were paying attention there's no changeover risk, but it's impossible to pay that amount of attention on a sustained basis without being actively involved in the driving of the car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Another under-considered problem is that, okay, let's say you have a great machine-learning setup and a car learns how to drive itself given a wide amount of training data. It's not always immediately clear, depending on the sorts of algorithms used, exactly why it's doing anything it's doing. This is true of machine-learning in general. We have an unhealthy tendency to anthropomorphize any sufficiently advanced "AI" system and imagine that it's doing something similar to what a human would do in terms of its process to make a decision and respond to its environment, simply on the basis that the outcomes frequently appear correct and consistent with what a human would do, but that is not the case at all, and there's a much bigger risk that a given AI cannot adapt to a novel scenario by generalizing from previous behaviours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

If there's a Tesla in your hedgerow
Don't be alarmed now
It's just a sad wreck
From a defect

I love this an indescribable amount.