Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I lived in that area for most of my life, no one else was falling off the road, especially the person running from him. He's a huge moron.

Most people run all-season tires. High performance summer tires with even a little bit of ice or snow on the road will slip and slide at the slightest provocation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I know a great many people who refuse to accept the need for snow tires, and they all have the same basic assumption: the risk of snow is getting stuck. They don't think about cornering or braking as issues. If they wreck, they will say "the car just wouldn't stop," mentally file it all under act of god, and continue driving around on inadequate tires.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

nsaP posted:

LMAO just saw that Manzi (The guy who's brake he grabbed) rides for the team that Fenati just signed with. Also just saw that they have reconsidered the contract they offered him a week or two ago.

"I want you to know that now that I am on your team, I will cheat and attempt to injure other riders just as hard on your behalf!"

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

NoWake posted:

I'm the person with AWD and summer tires you share the winter wasteland with. I find it decidedly unfunny :flip:

Worst part of this is, I've got a set of winter wheels + rubber in the garage, all stacked up ready to go. Winter came early this year and it bit me in the rear end.

Same thing happened to me about three years ago. I've never been so scared behind the wheel, including the times I was actually in accidents. Accidents are over in seconds. Getting home safely took me fifteen minutes. That was 900 seconds trying to guess what crazy thing my car would do next.

That spring I replaced my summer tires with all-weathers. I can live without peak performance of I get to live.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

On behalf of USS Lexington, CV-2, I demand that we bring back turboelectric propulsion for everything.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

xzzy posted:

I despise all the "STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS IN CROSSWALK" signs that towns around me have put up because the when people see a pedestrian anywhere near a street corner they drop anchor. That's not what the sign says. :argh:

I've even had a guy yell at me for rolling through a crosswalk because a pedestrian was approaching the intersection.

Agreed, and that goes double for me when there are pedestrian islands in the road. I think I shouldn't be required to stop until they reach the island, but as far as I can tell, that's not what the law says. So what good is the island?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Let's all carry full sets of wheel dollies in our trunks so that nobody can ever park us in.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Why wouldn't you think it's a runaway truck using it for its intended purpose?

It seems like the dash is not too far above the height of the guardrails, which would be the wrong perspective for a truck.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My wife, who insists she is a perfectly good driver, think it's OK to just force her way onto a highway here in the US if nobody will let her in. Then she yells at the guy she cut off for not letting her in. I try not to let her drive while reconciling myself to the reality that someday my beloved will kill herself or someone else in traffic.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

slidebite posted:

It certainly shuts off headlights, and maybe the main interior light, but I turned on everything including the map lights.. something stayed on I'm sure either way. It was 100% dead - not even the slightest glimmer of life. As soon as I put the pack to it, everything lit up so I am pretty sure the hard switch does it. I don't recall if it was a good samaritin or the garage attendant that had a jump pack, but I had it started literally 15 seconds after hooking it up. It sold me on those little packs.

Those things kick rear end. My kid's ancient shitbox's battery died and I couldn't start it with an AC-powered battery tender / jump starter nor a jump from my car. A portable battery pack fired it right up, and it's been near that car ever since.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

You can flash your brights, turn on your left blinker, etc, without messing with adaptive cruise control. Following too close is not a prudent communication technique. At least on my car, the manual says the shortest ACC distance is about 1.4 sec, which would definitely be too close without the computer being ready to hit the brakes.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The USA needs a nationwide law that says if there are three or more lanes (in a given direction, not total), trucks are banned from the leftmost lane. Two lanes is harder since the trucks need to be able to move over for traffic entering the highway.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

:lol:

You seem to have quite a lot of unresolved anger towards people who don't drive exactly as fast as you want to drive.

You're very welcome to come over here and drive on the autobahn, where trucks go anywhere from 70-100kph and a number of people go 200+ at times, while most go 110-150 or so, depending on their preference. Personally I've kept it mostly at 120kph these last couple of weeks, both because I don't see any need to go much faster and because I've been saddled with a very not-fast rental car.

And you know what? Not a single tense situation in 1500km, because the people who do desire to go fast respect that their desire to go fast does not mean that other people have to do the same. So they wait until you can pull back right, or until there is room to overtake. Like reasonable and mature human beings.

Then again, you actually have to make an effort to earn the privilege of a driver's license here...

Relax, and learn some patience. That seems to be in short supply currently.

KozmoNaut, where do you usually drive? Your experience sounds nice but not typical of the roads in the USA.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One of the interesting bits of the boot Digital Apollo was that the guys building the lunar module guidance system developed it to the point where it could auto-land under most circumstances, and the pilots would just be bystanders until/unless something went wrong. The astronaut with the most knowledge of the system - I think it was Dave Scott - told them no astronaut would ever use it. It wasn't that they didn't trust it, it was that if the ostensible pilot wasn't already flying when something went wrong, the time it took him to orient and react might be longer than they had.

He understood that back in 1970 and yet the auto industry can't accept it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

If there's a Tesla in your hedgerow
Don't be alarmed now
It's just a sad wreck
From a defect

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One world, one people, one slab of asphalt.