Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'll leave a space if I can, but I won't wave someone though. It's on them to determine if its safe to go.

I marthoned this thread the last couple days. One of my biggest peeves are cars going under the speed limit in rolling roadblock formation on an otherwise clear road (bonus points if one accelerates quickly to 5 under while the other accelerates slowly to 5 over, never being more than 1/2 a car length apart). I just wanna pass and enjoy not having cars around me.

But, what I hate the most is riding along in the left lane and having a car come out of a side street or parking lot, across the right lane, and parking themselves in front of me. I left you room to pull out safely into the proper lane and now I'm hitting my brakes to avoid an accident.

Around here, only about 20% of drivers can navigate a turn into the closest lane. Left hand turns end in the right hand lane. Right hand turns in the left hand lane. It's great seeing two cars turn onto the same road from opposite directions and pirouette past each other oblivious .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Negromancer posted:

Maybe, I was having issues starting from a stop. Hit the gas and the traction control light goes crazy and I can barely accelerate, turn it off and I can go just fine. Granted this is on a tdi, so the extra torque is prolly freaking out the system.

I have the same issue in my GTI. It barely goes in slushy weather from a stop, the TC light just goes nuts. Turn it off, spin the wheels, get some bite, and I can start accelerating. Once I'm above 10 mph, I turn it back on and it works great taking care of slipping while I'm moving.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Do you really want to put an immovable pole in a spot where cars are known to go the road at? I mean, losing your mailbox sucks, but severely injuring someone to prevent it doesn't seem like the correct solution.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Root Bear posted:

Took this while drivingparked safely on an expressway on-ramp. It took me drat near an hour to get to this point(normally less than a 5 minute ride) only to slowly crawl for another hour or so once we eventually did get moving:

Winter in Chicagoland :allears:

poo poo, and I was bitching about driving out of there at 40 mph yesterday afternoon.

Though the people chilling at 35 on a 55 mph road in Central IL when there was little more than blown powder on the road...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was at the store with my sister and parked next to someone who parked on the line. There wasn't much space, but you could walk between the cars. They were at the car when we got back annoyed they couldn't get in. She said something along the lines of "you can't get into your car either", to which my sis slid between the cars, opened the door, and hopped in with one motion without dinging the other car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

I will downshift all the way into first to keep from tapping the brakes. The only downside is if you've got a texter behind you and they don't see brake lights they won't look up.

I always tap my brakes enough to flash the lights, but not enough to actually engage. Two taps seems to get people's attention if I'm slowing down. Hell, I give it a couple of taps when I'm actually braking if it's because of unexpected traffic up ahead. Seems like people give me more braking distance when I do that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Depending on what route I take to/from work I drive under this bridge a few times a week - http://goo.gl/maps/qU4dF (check the street view)

Yesterday I apparently slowed down too much for the dip poo poo behind me. He lays on the horn then goes into the left lane to pass me as I'm turning to go under the bridge. Poor guy coming the other way had to do a panic swerve off the road (blowing out both passenger tires) to avoid being run into. There's an accident here at least every other week, usually single vehicle.

It's marked as a 10mph but so many people blow through it I usually avoid it.

On a back country road near my old work, Kickapoo Creed Rd goes under a set of railroad tracks. Here, the two lane road splits with pylons of the trains' bridge on either side and a third set in between the two lanes.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=6161...nois+61616&z=17

I was driving down the road at 1 am after getting "lunch" with a coworker (3rd shift) expecting nothing but deer jumping out. When I got to the overpass, I saw a set of uncoming lights, but they looked weird and I slowed down. Just before I got under the overpass, I notice the lights look weird cause the oncoming car was in my lane going under the overpass the wrong way with no room to maneuver because of the pylons. I saw able to brake and pull off the road while they served around me. At least I learned my brand new car brakes better than my old one and that the emergency lights come on during panic stops.

EDIT, oh, yeah, street view. I was in the right lane. They were also in the right lane. No room to move once you pass the guard rail.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 10, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Maybe he's being chased by irate Libyans in a VW Kombi, who just shot his friend for selling them a fake nuclear weapon, and are now trying to kill kim with a rocket launcher.

Lies. Would never have gotten up to 90 mph as time travel happens at 88.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shhh, they're trying to stay Anonymous.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My sister has a Mazda6 who's dash is lit up full blast all the time. But, she actually has it set lower with the dimmer switch, which only kicks in when her lights are on. So, her gauges are actually brighter with the lights off than with the lights on.

At least she knows to use her lights.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Negromancer posted:

That is just uncalled for. One if my favorite things about the outback we used to have is you could leave the headlights on all the time since they turn off with the ignition. I must admit I have driven for a while in my jsw at night before I realized I hadn't turned my lights on. At least vw puts a big DRL light on the speedo to remind you.

My parents' Forester has a big light on the speedo, too! That comes on when you turn on the lights... Why???

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Re: Light chat:

I don't truly know how hard it is for some people to turn their lights on, but I would imagine if you really need your lights (i.e. it's super dark) it's pretty loving obvious if they aren't on.

Cause they have DRLs and their headlights are on at night, but they don't realize their taillights aren't on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

But think of all the extra tens of dollars you would spend on tail light bulbs over the life of a car!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

My DRLs don't light up the road at all. I'm not sure I've had a car whose DRLs do. They run at a lower voltage and produce little to no useful output. Are there cars that have DRLs that light up the road? I figure people are just stupid and aren't really being fooled into thinking their lights are on.

My GTI has HIDs that are lit 24/7 and there is no difference between output. But the gauges are gray on gray and hard to read outside of daytime sunlight, so I have my lights turned on at night, in the rain, at sunrise and sunset, and if it's overcast.

a primate posted:

Does anyone live somewhere where you get ticketed for hogging the left lane? This place exists in my dreams and I can pass whenever I want, it's glorious :allears:

Here, there are roughly three lanes. The one where everyone tailgates, so panic stops are common (the left lane), the lane for Corollas going slower than the flow of traffic (the centre) and my empty kingdom (right lane).

I've never seen anyone pulled over for it, but drivers tend to stay in the right lane here in Central IL, provided you aren't driving through a city and it isn't around a holiday when people who don't know wtf are around. It's pretty nice.

North of I80 (towards Chicago), the right lane becomes the fast lane, the middle is for the minivan going five under, and the left lane is the really fast lane except for the one idiot getting passed on the right. I grew up driving in the burbs and it makes sense to me...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Personally I have my phone in a mount on my dash, and if someone calls me the speakerphone is good enough. Maybe my phone's cancellation is just better than most, but I never have any complaints about feedback even though speakerphone goes through the car speakers.

I have a cheapo mount on the windshield. It rattles too much and people can hear that through the microphone. I hardly ever use it and rarely get calls, so it's kinda moot. Should try a dash mount, but I like having it up higher so I'm not looking down the few times I use GPS.

I really need to figure out why my Bluetooth doesn't work. Who would have thought sticking a factory head unit into a car it wasn't designed for would be so much work?!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Clearly the solution to this is for people to wear open-back headphones instead of ear-buds. They don't block out any surrounding sound, plus they sound better to boot.

I know you're talking about in cars, but open headphones, helmet speakers, and lovely ear buds (the non-isolating kind like the ones that come with iPods) are actually worse for motorcyclists. They don't block out the wind noise, so you compensate by turning up the music, which just damages your hearing. A good pair of isolating ear buds lets you turn down the volume and still block out the wind noise. Having never ridden with music playing, I can't comment on that versus wearing ear plugs.

I use open headphones at work so I can hear around me. Can't imagine wearing ear buds in the car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

There's two more important birthdays: when you hit 25 and are no longer a demographic that anyone markets to (seriously, anything you ever cared about just disappears), and 55 when AARP hits you with their marketing machine gun.

I somehow got on their list at around 27. That was annoying.

It was around the same time the college I graduated from started trying to sell my car insurance.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CharlesM posted:

You can try using this. I'm giving AARP the 12 weeks (!!) they said it would take to get off their mailing list. After that I'll use this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

They just stopped at some point. I dunno. Was weird.

I'm guessing I'll turn 65 and they'll ignore me to make up for it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I'm a person you share a road with :(

Me too. I try not to cut people off, but if it's between following a group of cars all bunched up and passing them to get to some empty pavement, I'll go for the pass. It's not about getting somewhere sooner and I'll even go the speed limit* after that point, I just would rather not be around other cars.

(*+5 mph)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Colonel Sanders posted:

I know I have seen plenty of assholes on motorcycles, Japanese bikes that can do 150MPH+ seem to love going that speed regardless of weather or traffic. Not long ago, I was cut off by a Harley downtown, the biker was embarrassed and flustered, and pissed off, he pulled up in the right lane at the next red light, I arrived beside him, he waited until the light turned green and proceeded to do a very long burn out before cutting me off again. Since he was going well above the speed of all the traffic around him, he wove between a couple cars, then came to two cars side by side, and swerved into oncoming traffic forcing the oncoming driver to lock up their brakes and honk their horn. Thanks to the stop lights, I once again pulled up almost beside him. There was a turning lane, then his lane, and my lane, as soon as the left arrow turned green he decided he had to cut off a dump truck and that was the last I saw of him.

Twice I've had Harley riders pass me on the right. In my lane. The first I was on the left half of the lane at a light, the dude pulled up on my right, then just took off in front of me when the light turned green. Unexpected, but not that dangerous. The other I was cruising in the left half of the lane on a two lane back road and the Harley rider just drove on by on my right with no warning just as a semi was going by on my left in the opposite direction. His passenger waved and smiled at me as I concentrated on going arrow straight and not dying.

As for being invisible, I stopped at a red light in a right turn lane, the car behind me stopped, I looked left to check for traffic, and the car that stopped behind me just went and rear ended me. Her excuse? "Oh, I thought you went. By the way, do you know where the airport is?"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Followed a Subaru suv with its cat dragging doing 30 in a 45 (there is a little bit of snow on the ground, time to do half the speed limit), exhaust fumes coming out from the center of the car. They pulled out of a side street near some car dealerships, so I thought maybe it was a mechanic doing something? Then they turned onto the same street as I did, so I thought maybe they were going to the collision repair shop across the street from my work? Then they pulled into the Walgreens parking lot adjacent to my work, so I thought they were going to stop and see what all the noise and fumes were? Last I saw, they turned around in the parking lot and headed the opposite way down the side street without a care in the world, so I'm guessing they were just clueless. They had Washington plates, so I'm hoping they didn't drive half way across the country like that.

Not as bad as the time I saw a car's muffler disconnect as they were stopping for a light, get jammed in the ground, and lift the rear end end of the car a couple inches off the ground like a pole vault before snapping off completely. They stopped for the light, waited for the green, and drove off like nothing was wrong, leaving a hot muffler in the middle of the road.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Scrap trucks do God's work. We've put out everything from old furniture to broken TVs to literal kitchen sinks (and an oven and toilets) on the curb. All gone within three hours. Helped a guy load our old washing machine once, even, and thanked him for taking it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

http://www.lightsout.org

This may or may not answer your question.

Edit: wait, these objections are...common?

Hahaha, number 9:
DRLs are insulting out intelligence. DRL proponents assume that drivers are not intelligent enough to know when to turn on their lights.

Some of their issues is that there is no proven advantage to DRLs. Some are that they believe DRLs are harmful without giving any proof. And all of their alternatives are "driver improvement." Yeah, I mean, ideally, but this thread shows that is a fool's hope.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Deeters posted:

If we're gonna complain about kids though, I'm pretty upset that the bus on my road stops 4 times in under a quarter mile. And the parents that drive their kids to the end of the driveway.

I always thought parents driving their kids to the end of the driveway was a myth til I lived in an apartment complex where someone would drive their kid to the bus stop in the apartment complex parking lot and just sit there idling until the bus came. I almost made sense in the winter, but they did it all year long.

I'm still pissed after almost 20 years (really? gently caress, I'm old) that I had to take the bus in Middle School for the 0.6 miles to my house because it was on the other side of a busy road. The route the bus took made my stop the very last stop and it would take 40 minutes to get home. That's an average speed of 0.9 mph... I sometimes was able to sneak away and walk (the teachers were supposed to make sure that all the bus kids got on the bus) and with the ten minutes we had to wait (they would wait til the buses left before letting the rest of the kids walk) and the time we'd blow at 7-11 playing Mortal Kombat, I'd still get home in half the time.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 23, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You'd think that after a month of poo poo weather, the Chicago drivers could handle what I would generously call "flurries". There's just a light dusting in the air and nothing sticking to the ground. 40-45 mph in the right lane/exits, cars doing 50 to pass in the left lane on I-55 north of 80. There was a brief period of everyone doing 70 like God intended on 294 and it was glorious.

There was also a trio of plows doing a rolling road block going the other way with a half mile of cars following. Don't know what they were doing because there was no snow on the ground.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dougdrums posted:

Maybe I'll just put up some cardboard cutouts of children and see how long they last.

And a webcam?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

My current employer lets you stay home for bad weather, but makes you use a vacation day to do it. :geno:

They try to soften it with some bullshit like "we really want you to stay safe so make your own decision" but who the hell is going to spend valuable vacation time because of snow?

Which just means even more cars are going to pile onto unplowed roads and make everyone even more miserable.

My work doesn't much care if/when you come in, but it's either unpaid or taken out of your PTO. I made it in 15 minutes late cause I had to dig out my driveway, but half the office is gone.

I wish I could work from home, but something about the company not wanting to build a server room inside every employee's house because of security contracts with the customers makes it financially untenable.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

EightBit posted:

What, you can't use encrypted vpn connections?

We use large files for CAD work. They need to be stored locally. We do some VPN for putting finished work into the customer's system and just opening and saving the files is a huge pain, much less tying to manipulate them. They don't want the files sent over the Internet to personal computers, plus having to download gigs of information, plus making sure everyone has the same version if someone makes a change, plus accessing the license server for the software, it's not worth setting up for us. There's some provision for taking files on company owned laptops, but I'd rather use a beefy desktop and the file version problems are still there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hey dude doing 40 on a 55 mph back road forcing semis to pass you in the upcoming lane: gently caress you.

Dude in the brotruck that passed me and 40 mph guy at the same time by doing 80 in a no passing zone cause you couldn't wait 30 seconds for it to end: gently caress you twice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Passed a guy delivering a pizza last night who had the pizza chain's giant lit up sign on his trunk lid. All I could see after I passed him was a yellow glow filling his entire rear window. Good job, fellow.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

Can any Michigan natives explain to me why the drivers here are constitutionally incapable of turning into the near lane of multi-lane roads? Left turn, right turn, four-lane, eight-lane, it doesn't seem to matter. Everyone turns into the farthest possible lane in every circumstance, even when they have lines painted around the curve specifically to guide drivers into the correct lane. I have lived in Pennsylvania, New York, and Ohio and never saw nearly as much of this as I do in Michigan.

Bonus points if you can explain to me why half the drivers leave their brights on all the time as well.

Same in central IL. The road leading up to my work, the left lane merges into the right half a block up, and every day it's: right turn into the left lane, immediate merge into the right.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Or the Golf could have parked in Tomarse's spot with no issues.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What's a Polo?

(:patriot:)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

As someone who keeps a sweater in his desk drawer during the summer, gently caress you guys!

Granted the ac here is configured for a full office during the day and would drop significantly in the evenings when everybody else left and the sun went down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Counter intuitively, if you use the remote start with my parents' Forester, pressing the brake pedal before putting the key in and turning it to "ON" shuts the engine off. I do that every single time I remote start their car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cars should just come with a Nest.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Speaking of turn lanes, my town has been changing the lights so the turn lanes have flashing yellows any time traffic from the other direction has a green. It's nice as it lets you make the turn sooner if there is little oncoming traffic, though it took a while for them to do the majority of the lights and people to get used to them.

It's all well and good except for one intersection. There, only south bound traffic gets a green turn arrow to start with while north bound traffic sits at a red light. Then, both directions get green lights to go straight, flashing yellows for the turn. Then, south bound traffic gets a red and north bound enjoys a green left turn arrow. I have no idea why the two left turns are staggered like this as it doesn't seem to save anybody any time or make life easier.

Worse, if you are sitting at the south bound left turn waiting for north bound traffic to clear, suddenly you see all the lights turn red (you get a flashing yellow). Everyone's first instinct is that the light has changed and to clear the intersection. Unfortunately, oncoming traffic continues to enjoy a green light. It gets real confusing, no one knows who has to stop, and its hard to judge if there is a gap (is the oncoming car is stopping or going to barrel through) because you can't see what light the oncoming cars have.

East/west traffic works like normal. All the other lights in the town work like normal. Just this one. It's hosed up and I'm shocked I've never seen an accident there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I think the biggest problem is that they don't put ramps before construction zones to launch cars over them Dukes of Hazzard style.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Niven posted:

Not so much dangerously inept as just baffling, I just watched this happen:

Blue car made a left turn at low speed with plenty of time (no oncoming traffic) on good roads with good visibility and drove directly into the red car at probably 5 kph. Time from beginning the turn to impact was maybe 10 seconds, enough time to go "Look at that, he's not going to, no way, he did".

My mom's last car was totaled like that (she was the red car, coincidentally in a red SUV), except that she was 4-5 car lengths away from the lights at the time. The person who hit her somehow traveled 50 feet in the wrong lane after the turn.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I'm reading this thread and getting great entertainment from it, even though I'm not a good driver myself. I think it's interesting from a cultural perspective as well. To me, the idea of people going under the speed limit is absolutely bizarre. I'm from Poland, and there if you go the speed limit, you will inspire a burning hatred in other drivers. Anywhere outside of a city centre or a highway, the formula often seems to be speed limit x2 - 20 kph.

When I was learning to drive, my first few times in a car were terrifying.

I haven't been as terrified in a car as I was the last time I was in Poland 6-7 years ago. What's up with getting right up on the rear end of the car in front of you before going for a pass, then darting in and out of the next lane to see if there is oncoming traffic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Was walking in Indianapolis today and saw someone try to make a left turn on red, nearly getting himself tboned in the process, the car with the right of way having good enough brakes to skid to a stop a couple of feet short.