Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Just finished dinking around with the new loadout stuff in the beta stress test build and was about to hop in but the servers are dead. Looks like players succeeded in breaking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Camo patterns don't work/show up on the Elite parts, do they?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Gameplay is more like a regular FPS game than a true mech game. Which isn't a bad thing. Light mechs are great. Don't be the guy who brings a sniper mech (or a turret mech) to a TDM because you're likely just going to hold your team back. They're for specialized situations. Beyond that, go nuts.

This is wrong because my SS rules case closed.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sandweed posted:

Why did you make it invite only?

This, also I'd like an invite (just added you).

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Have they reversed all the money-grubbing changes to advancement yet or is still a stupid grind?

It never really was and yes, probably.

EDIT: They sending out keys randomly or by tenure? I was in the alpha, I'm surprised I haven't gotten one yet. Haven't logged in for a long while though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

My short experience with the Steam version of Hawken earlier has been absolutely wonderful. Incredibly low latency, smooth as butter (no crashes!), and from a design-point, the lower health of mechs just make my SS more deadly.

Releasing on Steam was the best thing that could've happened to this game and I'm pumped to start playing again. Not looking forward to babysitting terrible pubbies in teamplay but it's a bittersweet inevitability with the massively increased player-base.

LiquidFusion posted:

O I'm also curious to how you guys feel about performance in the patch. Does it feel any better? I made some very large and sweeping changes that in testing looked really good.
Feels great. Noticed a weird bug with initial launch HUD color not changing from default blue (set to red) but maybe the setting needs to be switched off/switched on due to the migration.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 8, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Like dishwasher said, the servers are acting a bit strange right now, they should get themselves sorted out before too long.

In other news! Hawken has a Steam page now. Hawken will be fully available to the public on the 13th, with a twist. Hawken will be placed under the Early Access system, and access will be gated while it is in Early Access, to stem the tide of Steam players on the servers. The gating will mean anyone wishing to create a new account will need to buy a Hawken bundle first, which will contain a bunch of stuff in it. For now, the only bundle that will be available will be the Nemesis Bundle, which contains the following:

• 9 mechs
  • A global repair drone
  • All 3 Nemesis themed chassis art pieces
  • 6410 HAWKEN Credits
  • 720 Meteor Credits
  • An exclusive pilot emblem

This bundle will cost $29.99 USD, and based on the wording, more bundles will come in the future, though we don't have any information on those just yet.

After the Early Access period is over (when the beta tag is removed), bundles will no longer be a requirement for making an account, and that process will be wholly free again.

Honestly, with all the stuff in this pack, I'm thinking about getting it myself. Kinda depends on the drone and the emblem at this point.

Are we able to pick up this bundle in-game with Meteor Credits? The folks who've already monetarily supported the game can then apply that support towards the bundle while also not feeling like they need to drop another $30 for something exclusive to newbies.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Ohhhhhhh poo poo the patch is coming in right now!!

EDIT: Oh nevermind. According to the notes it's a minor update. A 500mb minor update.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Wheeee posted:

It's like Tribes all over again

It's not that bad, come on now.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Despite the core game being better it's in a much worse situation, Tribes actually had a fairly large following for a while and was regularly in the games media in a generally positive manner. HiRez hosed it up and tanked the game but Hawken has spent the last year treading water in the kiddy pool.

One issue with Hawken I don't know that they can resolve is the lack of appealing customization bits; this game has a wonderful cohesive aesthetic but it leads to pretty drab custom parts and skins, without abandoning the current look I'm not sure they're going to be able to get people to drop a lot of cash on pimping their rides.

1. Hawken devs actually frequently update their game (even moreso now than in the past) and very rarely break poo poo with each bugfix vs HiRez barely ever updated the game and almost every single update managed to gently caress up the game somehow in ridiculous ways. They never even fixed the physics because it was "too hard to do."

2. Hawken only charges money for cosmetic items and the path to a new mech isn't terribly long (along with free test drive periods for people to try out new mechs before they buy) vs Tribes charging $10 for one top-tier weapon with a retardedly long in-game currency gain to even purchase new classes (that then additionally had to be outfitted for either tons of hours or the aforementioned $10+).

3. Hawken devs are committed to continually adding and improving Hawken vs HiRez tried to squeeze as much money out of the Tribes community as possible so they could pool it into Smite and straight up abandon the Tribes community while simultaneously shutting down and banning all community attempts to mod/fix the game.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

PROTIP: Never go SS on a 2-vs-2, jesus christ.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Section Z posted:

:spergin: incoming.

Let's see, 17 Mechs currently in the game. Let's not even count the cost of buying all the non recruit mechs, let's just count the cost of fully equipping robots. Being generous and including the current 20% off discount on Primary weapons, and counting the free Item towards filling out item slots.

So that is 2,304 Meteor points to fully equip one Mech, 39,168 Meteor points for all of them. Now, what does does $60 of Meteor Points get us?

Well, for $50 you get 8,280 Meteor Credits, including that 15% bonus. So you can equip three and a half Mechs for that, with the current 20% off sale for Primary weapons. Not buying Mechs, just equipping them. That falls rather short of "Basically Everything".

Even the $100 bundle for 17,280 MC is only enough to equip Seven and a half mechs, including the current primary weapons sale. The grind/real dollars value of getting the Mechs themselves is fine (That Mercenary bundle for 30 dollars is a comparative bargain if you like the 6 Mechs+one primary each comes with), but the Grind/Cost of EQUIPPING them is pretty bonkers by comparison. Like, over twice the cost of buying a new Mech bonkers. But less people notice why the grind is suddenly taking so long because it's a bunch of pricetags put together instead of the one obvious pricetag on a new mech.

EDIT: I have already chipped in for the (limited time) Nemesis, and current Prosk Bundle. That's 50 dollars right there. That does get me "basically Everything" From a Mech unlock standpoint... But oh lordy that equipment grind! With 2k more HC earned I could unlock all four Mechs I do not have... Or, I could almost fully equip two Mechs I already own.

Again, I think the grind and Cash cost for the Mechs themselves is more than reasonable, generous even. It is only the overboard amount of Time/Money needed for the equipment I have issue with.

EDIT Two: vvv Well, it took me about 19 hours to rank 6 my Recruit, so roughly an hour per 1k at the rate I was playing?. If you were buying nothing but Mechs, about half a day per full cost robot. Though I think I heard some of them cost less?

Yeah, microtransaction culture. But that's a bit of a switch up from "60 dollars will get you basically everything :rolleyes:" It can't be both, and I wouldn't have bothered :spergin: out to see just how much that gets you otherwise :v:

If Hawken wasn't F2P it would be dead on launch and you wouldn't be playing Hawken anymore. See every other standard priced multiplayer-based game other than Valve's for an example.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I decided to start up Hawken a few minutes ago to see the new stuff they've added and it installed .NET framework. Since I was already up-to-date, it's now forced my computer into an infinite "update" loop that automatically reboots my computer after about a minute. I'm currently in safe-mode trying to figure out how the gently caress I'm going to fix this so I can use my computer again.

Great job guys!

EDIT: Found the bastard. If this happens to anyone else, boot in Safe Mode and run CCleaner. Kill UE3Redist.exe from the Startup list.

Congrats on accidentally creating a rootkit on up-to-date computers.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That said, where the hell is everyone? It used to be that Hypha would be online at all hours but now the entirety of my friends list is offline.

I had to uninstall indefinitely until they fix their installer infinite-reboot loop.

• Locked thread