Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Goddammit, I was wondering why all of these names seemed so familiar, and then Kuvo made the unstuck in time joke. I can't believe I didn't catch that. Hats off to you, Kuvo. :golfclap:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also, Flynn does indeed temporarily join your party after this set of scenes in the PS3 version. Which is appreciated, since he can heal.

Yeah, this part of the game is really obnoxious because it takes two of your three healers from you with little to no warning. Karol is a pretty decent healer on his own mind you, but Nice Aid Smash is no Love Shot.

Edit: Also, how is Flynn's healing AI? Does he actually know to sit back and heal or is he another Estelle?

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010
I kinda like when Tales games take characters away from you to make you try out new setups instead of relying one one that you feel works. Taking away almost all your healers making you rely on a couple of small radius PBAoE heals or items to keep alive is a bit harsh though. Treats and Gels really come in handy at this part since it's pretty much the only way to heal from range.

Also can someone please explain Repede's useless action jump at ~13:25?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

D_W posted:

Did I miss something? Did Raven and Estelle just sneak away while the rest of the party was just hanging around? That whole bit was pretty confusing.

Estelle ran when she fond out about the legend. When the rest of the party were talking about stuff Raven said he could not understand it and left the building. Apparently he kidnapped her and gave her to Alexei after this.

Anyway we now know who the main villain is.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 18, 2014

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Murphy?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Estelle ran when she fond out about the legend. When the rest of the party were talking about stuff Raven said he could not understand it and left the building. Apparently he kidnapped her and gave her to Alexei after this.

Anyway we now know who the main villain is.

uh yeah it's been pretty obvious that Yuri's gonna pull the face-heel-turn for a while now and give in to his demons

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
It's me. I'm the main villain of this game because I still don't believe the hiding of Repede is intentional.

I'll never believe and I'll take down the whole world if I have to!

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
If you've played or watched Kuvo's lp of Symphonia then you might remember that a similar event transpired. Too bad one of those sidequests Vicas neglected to talk about involved Repede visiting your room in Heliord but now, well. :ohdear:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dastardly posted:

If you've played or watched Kuvo's lp of Symphonia then you might remember that a similar event transpired. Too bad one of those sidequests Vicas neglected to talk about involved Repede visiting your room in Heliord but now, well. :ohdear:

We ain't got time to sidequest, this baby is already going to the moon in 100 episodes

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm just loving the little Yuri doll dancing around on top of Repede. Completely kills the mood.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Ep 63: My Neighbor is an Amazing Adorable Tsundere Wizard Youtube

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
code:
Gale Dog
  Learned: Level 34
  Grants 5 seconds of invincibility  -  TP: 14
Gale dog is pretty good yo

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010
Number of treasure chests just casually wandered past in this episode: 2.

Blade roll is pretty good, it spins more times if you use it a lot and if I recall correctly you can even move while it's spinning. It can also turn into Thunder Blade which is a really good AoE spell. Also synergizes well with Book Dunk since you need to be close to the enemies to do damage :v:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

:smugdog: :human being: Now that's a man who smugs like he knows he's going to win. :smug: :smugbert:

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
Dungeons are boring. Have there been any good dungeons in this game? Have monster .gifs from this episode

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
tales games have always been a little... uninspired when it comes to dungeon design

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think they've gotten worse over the years, honestly. Sure, a lot of Symphonia's dungeons were pretty annoying, but at least they actually had puzzles and stuff.

Abyss still had some of that with the... sephiroth locations or whatever, but Vesperia's are all straightforward and kinda boring, while Xillia just has a whole lot of either a) open plains or b) corridors.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Xillia just has a whole lot of either a) open plains or b) corridors.

I bought Xilia during the easter sale and is playing through it now. It definitely feels like they took some cue's from ff XII. Lot's of open space filled with enemies except now you have to crawl through a dozen small holes in every areas only to find empty caves in half of them. I can't remember doing any actual puzzle's either besides some block pushing. I don't really miss the more inane dungeon puzzles but something more than just going through corridors would be nice.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think they've gotten worse over the years, honestly. Sure, a lot of Symphonia's dungeons were pretty annoying, but at least they actually had puzzles and stuff.

Abyss still had some of that with the... sephiroth locations or whatever, but Vesperia's are all straightforward and kinda boring, while Xillia just has a whole lot of either a) open plains or b) corridors.

Give me an overcomplicated Aethersphere any day of the week. That whole place was like one giant loving puzzle dungeon.

And then the Destiny remake replaced a lot of it with L-block corridors bookended with puzzles.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

:kimchi:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Every time I see Alexei use that thing to control Estelle, I just can't help but think he somehow got his hands on one of the punishment spheres from SMAC. :v:

Also, I've always found that cutscene incompetence in front of the shrine rather infuriating. Nothing like having to sit through the party getting lectured by one of the more annoying characters in the game for something the player had no control over.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 21, 2014

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

The Heavenator posted:

Dungeons are boring. Have there been any good dungeons in this game? Have monster .gifs from this episode

I think this is the first time I have ever thought this about an RPG, but every reskin of that monster design is great and I hope there is a lot more of them left in the game.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I still think the Dead to Rights team should have been incorporated into Tales Studio.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
420 slaughter bunwigles everyday

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Graces F is the last Tales I played and I hated it for its writing (to the point that I never finished the Future Arc), but I thought it nailed the combat and I enjoyed the dungeons because they were JUST long enough that you didn't get sick of fighting things and they didn't have any lovely puzzles in them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Graces F is the last Tales I played and I hated it for its writing (to the point that I never finished the Future Arc), but I thought it nailed the combat and I enjoyed the dungeons because they were JUST long enough that you didn't get sick of fighting things and they didn't have any lovely puzzles in them.

Never finished or never started?

Because the Future Arc is the exact opposite, people hated the dungeons but the writing was so much better than the main game it's funny.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'd argue the Future Arc story writing is still pretty bad, and the dungeons are definitely the worst, but it's still worth playing because they probably have the best skits in the whole series.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Future Arc owns because Richard's VA knew the whole thing was a joke and basically has the best, hammiest line delivery I've ever seen in a game

Graces is a game with really awful storytelling and really great gameplay, probably the best of any Tales game I've played. But the story is bad even for a cheesy JRPG, and that's saying something. I have a pretty high tolerance for dumb anime but even this game was hard to take in some part

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Never finished or never started?

Because the Future Arc is the exact opposite, people hated the dungeons but the writing was so much better than the main game it's funny.

I beat like, one FA dungeon and stopped I think. I did appreciate that Richard and Malik just poo poo unrelentingly on the rest of the party but I just couldn't care anymore by that point. The plot of that game is so paper thin and Pascal and Sophie might be the worst characters in any Tales game besides the Dipshit Duo from Dawn of the New World.

That combat's radical though, it was so fun to be able to cut loose with artes because of the CC system.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 22, 2014

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

I'd argue the Future Arc story writing is still pretty bad, and the dungeons are definitely the worst, but it's still worth playing because they probably have the best skits in the whole series.

You're wrong about them having the best skits, but those are easily second best.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kase moch posted:

You're wrong about them having the best skits, but those are easily second best.

While this is funny, it's dulled somewhat the the fact that I am once again reminded Ymir Forest exists. :argh:

The Future Arc really feels like the devs got together and read through a bunch of fanfiction until they found something the liked, then tacked it on to the end of the game. But yeah, a good chunk of the skits and new post battle victory quotes are the best. Also the Excel Gauge or whatever it was that gave all the party members nifty new abilities was pretty cool, and gave you something new and exciting to play around with in the combat system. I consider it a wash, really.

Nauticus
Dec 25, 2010

Long may yer big jib draw

Kase moch posted:

I almost completely forgot about the Tales of Symphonia LP, I feel like going back through it now for moments like this.

drat, I can't believe that was almost 4 years ago!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nauticus posted:

I almost completely forgot about the Tales of Symphonia LP, I feel like going back through it now for moments like this.

drat, I can't believe that was almost 4 years ago!

I still wonder what the Mystery of the Imposters was, and why Time Does Not Go Back.

Don't really miss Genis voice though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh, sounds like the plot has set a course straight for stupid. Can't wait to see what idiotic twists get thrown out in the next episode.

The Heavenator posted:

Knew I should of checked the thread before making this.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I think this is the first time I have ever thought this about an RPG, but every reskin of that monster design is great and I hope there is a lot more of them left in the game.

Yeah monster variety in JRPGs is something that really bothers me since most of the time you run into the same handful of monsters in a different color. Here, they seem to be putting in a significant amount of effort into making the models at least look different.

scroogle nmaps posted:

Don't really miss Genis voice though.

Actually I still laugh a bit every time I remember "any type of meat :downs:".

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh, sounds like the plot has set a course straight for stupid. Can't wait to see what idiotic twists get thrown out in the next episode.

Mhm. As much as I like Alexei's extremely hammy dialogue and acting, I'm not a fan of how the plot continues from here on out. We should probably bring this up again later though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Internet Kraken posted:

Knew I should of checked the thread before making this.

I actually prefer yours. It's somewhat less clunky.
So good job on not totally wasting your time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mhm. As much as I like Alexei's extremely hammy dialogue and acting, I'm not a fan of how the plot continues from here on out. We should probably bring this up again later though.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Alexei being the main villain all of a sudden just because it came out of nowhere. I mean, I didn't see it coming but there were actually hints in the game that he was up to something. Its not like it makes no sense, its just that the guy just left zero impression on me. I completely forgot he existed up until now and suddenly he's taken center stage. I could see that being a good twist in a different story but it just isn't working here because Alexei is so forgettable.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm still not sure how I feel about Alexei being the main villain all of a sudden just because it came out of nowhere. I mean, I didn't see it coming but there were actually hints in the game that he was up to something. Its not like it makes no sense, its just that the guy just left zero impression on me. I completely forgot he existed up until now and suddenly he's taken center stage. I could see that being a good twist in a different story but it just isn't working here because Alexei is so forgettable.

It doesn't help that Duke is pretty much the same character.

You know, they haven't shown the both of them on screen at the same time :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Kuvo posted:

It doesn't help that Duke is pretty much the same character.

You know, they haven't shown the both of them on screen at the same time :tinfoil:

Duke is the mysterious neutral party whose motivations and true strength are completely unknown. Alexei is much more of a straight up villain. Both of them having white hair, barely an hour of screentime combined, and super deep voices probably doesn't help the confusion/comparison though.

• Locked thread