Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Aha, I can post. Yeah, this game is actually pretty good (even if my hour count is still way too high even for that)

I'll be steering kuvo in the general direction of sidequests but I haven't really decided what I'm gonna make completely sure he does.

Except Fell Arms :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think you misunderstand my intentions

Also I have a bit of a distaste for massive black bars, try to keep it to a relatively small amount

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Adus posted:

Vicas, make Kuvo try and do all the special boss conditions. It can't possibly go wrong.

you are gonna be so mad at the next boss fight :v:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

grancheater posted:

When are we going to find out they're using ~Blastia~ to create genetically modified supersoldiers?

This needs to go into the OP

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I can do that. I'll have to figure out where that video ends after I get out of class, though :v:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Sure, I can do that per session.

For those a little lost right now...

Welcome to anime world! In this scenario, people are so scared of monsters that they crowd in cities, under the protection of Barriers. They'll talk more about barriers later, but suffice to say they stop monsters because magic.

The imperial capital city, Zaphias, is so crowded that it's become highly stratified. Our story begins in the Lower Quarter, where the town fountain (and water source) has broken. Our hero, Yuri, discovers that it's because the blastia has gone missing. Don't worry what a blastia is, the answer is magic. Yuri decides the best way he can help is by taking his awesome dog and finding the blastia. You'll actually find that most of Yuri's motivations in this game are way more rational and down to earth than your usual JRPG hero.

They get a lead that it was recently fixed by a rich mage, Mordio, so they try to find them in the Upper Quarter, aka richville. Yuri knocks out some guards, tresspasses, and breaks and enters into a rich people house, but he manages to find Mordio, so I guess ends-means-etc. Mordio escapes and Yuri is left to deal with this game's comic relief/recurring battle tutorials Boccus and Addecor (spelling, I dunno, they're losers). Yuri is eventually caught by real knights and thrown in jail, where he meets a mysterious purple man who helps him escape. We're also introduced to Commandant Alexei, leader of the Imperial Knights, and only one of the silver haired dudes in this game. He'll be important later, but it'll be a bit.

Yuri escapes the laughably incompetent palace guards only to run into a strange pink-haired girl who wants to run away with him. He says okay because apparently they have a mutual friend in the mysterious Flynn. They head for his room, but he's not there. Just as they're about to leave, an assassin busts in, mistake Yuri for Flynn, and tries to kill him. Zagi is a little unhinged, but Yuri deals with him with the help of Anime-Hair-Girl, whose name turns out to be Estellise. And thus a partnership for the ages is born.

Estellise decides to change from her stuffy dress into... another stuffy dress, oh well. But they make their way to a statue with a secret path, and Yuri notices her Bodhi Blastia (really don't worry what this is, it basically never comes up).

And that's where we stand, nothing important really happened except comedy of errors stuff. Our main objective is chasing this Mordio character, and spoilers: we'll be doing it for a while

Vicas fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 9, 2013

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Adus posted:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, Vicas! Stop confusing me!

It's subtle but in that scene Yuri's noticing something specific about her blastia (and it's not surprise about her healing ability). It actually does come up again later.

No, I know what's going on. I was specifically talking about the Bodhi Exfonospheria in general, which is more or less gameplay storified

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It does, and it's a very helpful resource when you don't remember where to go or what you did last time, but the way it's written, well, it kinda tries to imitate a newspaper article or something and it doesn't really work.

Vicas is doing a much better job at summarizing the events.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be written by that weird wonder reporter guy we met. The game has some weird mannerisms

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, let's not talk about the secret missions. We'll get to "that one" when we get to it

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Also Geop is an uneducated internet plebe, just gonna leave that there. Viva la revolucion, see you all in a future session

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mr. Soop posted:

I love all the political insertions you guys are making. Got me thinking... A perpetual source of energy, a main character who has a history of fighting the establishment on taxation, and now a capitalist society independent of the government.

Tales of Atlantis: Yuri Shrugged?

If you enjoy me adding story motifs you are gonna love the next episode

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Our new friend is a Dikembe lover, as all good people should be

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Geop posted:

W-w-what?... :ohdear:

Yeah, the PS3 version made some, uh, odd decisions

I think she's mentioned by literally one NPC in this entire version of the game

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yo, we're never gonna find Patty in this playthrough so talking about how anime she is is fine, but can we keep other names that have not yet appeared to a minimum?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I am already going to call this thread request a success

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

NextTime000 posted:

good thing we are not playing Tales of Graces then.

Asbel is a better protagonist than Lloyd, partly because Lloyd is completely awful. If anything Asbel is an okay character completely ruined by the plot around him, though, so it's kind of hard to begrudge him, but I'm not sure if I should go on a rant about how Tales of Graces basically ruins what would've been a good, interesting theme in favorite of ~*anime friendship*~ in a thread about a good game :v:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Troy Baker is a pretty awesome dude and I am happy that he gets a lot of voice work because he really is pretty great

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Minor warning for the next few episodes: my internet was total poo poo this session for some reason, so I was like 10 seconds behind when I could see the stream at all, so my navigating is not so top notch!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
You were wrong about that third thing there

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm okay with Karol and his character arc is pretty decent but we make jokes here and someone needs to be the butt

Besides, we have an entire appreciation station dedicated to him

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Pavlov posted:

It bugs me that there seems to be no real reason that the party is even following Yuri around to begin with. Repede is his dog so that makes sense. Estelle only seems to be there because the plot heavy-handedly has Flynn's next stop always be the same as Yuri's. Karol seems to have no reason not to just bumble off and do his own thing, and Rita just flat out says, "I'm following you now," and no one even asks for an explanation. It's like the game just says "They've joined the party now don't question it."

Karol doesn't really have a reason to join the party beyond what Endorph said about looking up to Yuri, but the plot is very soon going to make it obvious that he also doesn't have anywhere else to go, either

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

necroid posted:

To be honest I don't think I've ever played a jrpg other than Chrono Trigger, FFT and maybe FF9 that made me think "wow this story is really well crafted and I'm so into it I can't stop playing". Every single jrpg I've played always ended up having dull, power-of-friendship telegraphed plots and characters. I haven't played many but to me that seems to be the trend. To be even more honest I'm making an active effort to follow this LP because honestly this game is so loving boring and uninteresting, I'm just leaving it on another monitor because I enjoy the chatter while working on stuff.

I'm pretty sure that to enjoy jrpgs you have to be either an anime spaz or a grinding/farming addict.

eh, there's different levels of enjoyment you can get out of jrpg stories. Personally I would say ToV has an okay story with fun characters that more than make up for it. It's a silly game but aren't they all?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Derpes posted:

At first I tried to make it out myself which didn't go so well, so I tried googling it and found this. Everything about that poster is just :effort:

lol just figured this out myself. Figures someone would beat me to it. That owns

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Geop posted:

Episode summary:

Poor Yuri. He should've known that swords beat axes

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Geop posted:

I was so fuckin' tired in the last half of this session :psyduck: Apologies for my apparent apathy, but ooooooooof I was beat.

We started this session later than usual, so by the end we were kinda pooped. I'm sure that next time boat adventures will energize us

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
:siren: We managed to go an entire session without saying "Dockside Bars!?" and I thought you all should know :siren:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

PS3 version gets an unwinnable boss fight against the Don here, for some reason. It's (Arte/Skill/Equipment spoilers in this!) still pretty tough in New Game+, but technically winable.

Don's Japanese VA sounds literally exactly how I'd expect

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Schubalts posted:

Ioder is totally going to end up being evil. He was on the monster-feeding governor's boat, he's one of two people next in line for the freaking Imperial Throne but let the governor walk away without saying anything (if the Council would value social rank high enough to instantly believe the governor's insane excuse, then the word of an Imperial heir would be like a signed confession), and now this letter.

I'm totally sure the guy had no evil intentions, and is just being set up

repeatedly

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Adus posted:

I don't get the impression Repede thinks he's people. He's very much a dog. Smarter than your average dog, as necessary. Like Yuri, only gives a gently caress very selectively.

Things Repede doesn't give a gently caress about : being in scene

Things Repede gives a gently caress about : the dank pipe weed

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Might as well start the partially in frame Repede collection. The developers really brought their A-game for the first one.

This is art

There is no way this isn't intentional

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Fingers of Fury posted:

Didn't Abyss also have a trio of thieves called the Dark Wings? The Tales games reusing elements? Why I never.

The Dark Wings are one of those recurring Tales game things. I believe they've only actually appeared as real characters in Tales of the Abyss, though, so I've never really held it against them

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Brunom1 posted:

Speaking of Yeager, the german accent is exclusive to the localized version - in the japanese one, he had an american accent and loved getting english words into his lines (think Code Geass, if you've watched it).

This is just about the best thing I have ever heard

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Kuvo posted:

So I missed the zodiac spear already?

Thanks Obama Vicas

look dude I said I would guide you to only the most important sidequests and after last session I think we can both agree that I have delivered as promised

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Pyrovile posted:

So what I gathered from that last plot dump with Iodine is that the Don is mad at the empire for using their big gun, Iodine couldn't stop the imperial knights from using their big gun because they only listen to the emperor. Iodine can't become the emperor because the macguffin you need was lost in a war years ago, and according to Raven that's why they don't have an emperor.

So I guess the imperial knights just make up their own orders?

Well, uh, yes, actually

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I FORGOT IT WAS DUCE NOT DOGE BUT I'M NOT SORRY :catdrugs:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

The Heavenator posted:

So does the game really not teach you how to run away until you are this far in?

Also Squirrigle

You're a hero

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dastardly posted:

I was wondering when you'd figure it that Nidhogg is Yeager backwards

I had literally forgotten about this while we were watching, but I did know it at one point :downs:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

That title came up in my thread too:

And for anyone who wants to figure it out himself,

Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense, if you have no idea what the connotations of trophy wife are

Mystery solved! Go team Curtiss' Thread

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
who would want such a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Geop posted:

Oh my god. He even typo'd dicksplash