Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Zenostein posted:

What a stunningly rear end in a top hat password system.

Seriously, does any other game give you 'hints' and then expect you to solve the riddle they didn't bother to tell you about?

Umm, several games use "clues" to solve "riddles". I'm not sure what you're getting at, unless you mean the game didn't imply very well that it's a riddle. There may/may not be failure dialogue that helps you along with it. Honestly I have no idea if such a thing exists.

Dastardly posted:

I completely forgot that consumables only stack up to 15 until you buy the "stack to 99" option for ng+ :psyduck:

This wasn't as much of a problem for me with usable items as it was for ingredients. I had the habit of cooking after every battle via the shortcuts (which you guys should be doing btw, that or change the thread tag). I'd just run out of food way too quickly. After about half a dungeon I've used all my eggs or some other ingredient common to several dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Derpes posted:

Lots of info on Fatal Strikes

While this is all useful, don't go crazy trying to optimize fatal strikes against certain enemy types. Simply having lots of "green" or "blue" artes set up and using them constantly will get you lots of opportunities regardless of an enemy's resistance. No enemy is immune to fatal strikes, which is very, very good. A good example is Overlimit->Destruction Field spam. In addition to being fun to do, you'll get at least one red fatal strike out of that no matter who you're fighting.

One last note; the trigger does have a delay, press too fast and you'll whiff the fatal strike. Wait until the glyph fully forms.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Fingers of Fury posted:

I can't tell if the writers are botching the tweedledee and tweedledum reference or they're trying to blend it with thing 1 and thing 2.

Not exactly botched, just a different spin on it, or a blend like you said. Adecor is Tweedle A. Boccos is Tweedle B.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

jawbroken posted:

Any idea why there's no 720p encode of this video?

When things get this anime you lose a bit of quality.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Sydin posted:

Because Tales of the Abyss is a PS2 game, and it runs natively in 480i. It's not a very good looking game, it doesn't even support the HD component cable some PS2 games support.

Way to spoil the joke, LUKE. :mad:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

jaydee864 posted:

Making dinosaur-related puns about Don Whitehorse and you don't even do a Mastodon pun. For shame.
You say this like we'll never see him again. There's plenty of time to make more puns (there's always time for more puns).

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The jukebox is one of my favorite things in the game, because as soon as Rita fixes it, the regular Dahngrest music comes back. I have to imagine that the Dahngrest music actually plays on full blast throughout the entire city.
You're not alone in thinking this. Dahngrest is the best city.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Arkeus posted:

How the heck do you have it in English?
There's a fan translation patch, referenced in Curtiss' thread. I'd link it but the thread and the translation website have massive spoilers. Just be wary of that if you search on your own.

Re: Crushing Eagle, you shouldn't use it. At least don't chain it off Fang Strike. Fang Strike hits the enemy in the air, and Crushing Eagle damages enemies... on the ground. They don't synergize well.
vvv Yes it is a good arte, I'm aware. But it definitely shouldn't be used with artes that throw an enemy up. Also Minifoo keeps using "Rudolf" so enemies are in the air a lot.

Ramengank fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 14, 2013

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
The only things that point to the human NPCs not being killed is that they have a different animation when defeated (falling over instead of vaporizing) and the fact that none of the human bosses we've defeated have died directly from battle (yet?). Actually I think the only boss we've killed period was Gattuso. Which is good because gently caress that guy.

Kuvo posted:

As for the "monsters" (most of which seem to be naturally occurring animals?), are we to assume that what Karol said (MONSTERS = EVIL) is true? Can a creature not capable of sapience act with malic? I'm pretty sure most of the fights can be summed up as either animals trying to get a meal or defending their territory, neither of which would work for the self defense argument.
When Karol says that he's probably just parroting what he heard from his time in the Hunting Blades, but everyone we've seen in that guild seems to just have some chip on their shoulder or some personal vendetta against monsters or whatever. Monsters are pretty aggressive compared to typical wild animals, though. Most animals on Earth run away from people, but these wolves and bees and animated plants have none of that and charge right for you. Maybe a little of column A, a little of column B?

Maybe they're hungry and humans taste like fried chicken.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Some else figure out what this actually says, I think it's indeed a 1, 2, 3, 4 list but dunno what the text is.

Seems to be:
1 Jade
2 Luke
3 Asch
4 Guy

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

quote:

The hell is a weasand?

Wikipedia posted:

Weasand, a term for the oesophagus obsolete as regards human anatomy but current in meat-packing
:goonsay:

Wait, that's not quite right. It's apparently a geographical term for a narrow place, I guess like the "throat" of the mountain? Wikipedia also mentions this specific video game location in the disambiguation page for some reason.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I think this episode had more Repede full-body screentime than the last 10 combined.

Derpes posted:

Rita's best spells are Book Dunk and Gold Cat :colbert: Also Tidal Wave I guess.

All wrong: it's Papercut.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
You never asked for this but here it is anyway! Vesperia sign translation Part 2:
Sign on wall of Inn "Antares"
pre:
Welcome to Mantaiku
  012     Gald
  345     Gald
  678     Gald
  9       Gald
The fourth option is super cheap whatever it is :iiam:
Mantaiku is probably meant to be Mantaic, the name of the town.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
^^ I like the ones where only the pipe is visible best, but drat that mirror one is pure gold.

It's wonderful :swoon:, but this would make him stand out more and be harder to conceal behind every other character/object in cutscenes.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Sgt Thud posted:

Entelexia (EN-TE-LUH-KAY-UH): Big intelligent monsters that can regulate aer and offset imbalances in it's concentration. Fought in the Great War against the creation of Hermes Blastia. Come in various flavors, like giant fire turkey and fox pokemon.

You forgot the pronunciation guide so I added that in for you.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

RotationSurgeon posted:

I think my only real question is what is Repede? Is he just a dog or is he also a magic pokemon?

e: aside from high

Repede is... Repede. (He's a dog.)

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
Not really visible from that angle, but the Karol doll is hanging onto Repede's tail.

And oh my god Flynn looks so grumpy. :allears:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Benach posted:

I think the "Min 60 TP" clause for that one skill is just to stop the New Game+ with Skills but No HP making Rita even more busted that she already is by having unending quickcast cheapo novice spells. Though it's still arbitrary.

In other week-old news, there's a new ToV speedrun on the PS4 version. It's 4 hours shorter than the 4P 360 run. Clearly you're playing the inferior version of the game.

She still effectively has unending casting since novice spells max out at 14 TP normally, so you'd be spending maybe 2 per spell and Rita isn't exactly short on TP. All enemies will be dead long before you run out.

The PS3 version has cutscene skip, among other conveniences, so yeah it's entirely superior.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
There's apparently "Traditional" and "Modern" variants on the font, and using the Traditional style, which is blocky instead of curved, I made out...
code:
NIGHT ACHCLOR

FREN
Ummm... Yeah I don't know. That might not even be right. The low resolution really hurts translation efforts, and I can't even begin to make out what's on the Flynn/Yuri poster due to the graphics cutting into the words.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

"FREN" is most likely some Japanese dude's attempt at spelling フレン, so that's referring to Flynn.

"NIGHT" could be "Knight", but I have no idea what "ACHCLOR" could be.

And here I thought it would be spelled out フリン (FU-RI-N) in Japanese rather than フレン (FU-RE-N). Looking it up, the latter is the correct Japanese spelling so Fren is definitely Flynn.

Still no idea on "ACHCLOR", if anyone else wants to take a stab at translating it here's the alphabet chart I used: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/kazzisato/tos/vesplang.png

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Kuvo posted:

But that would require me putting down the whiskey long enough to learn how to play!

Destruction Field spam has served me well this far...

And let's be real here, Destruction Field spam is pretty much all you need from here out.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
Yeah that last skit feels really weird and out of place. I'm curious if the Japanese 360 version also references Alexei like that.

I got the Drakengard reference. :smithicide:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I was going to suggest simply slapping the old audio onto a new recording and acting like nothing happened, but a Vicas recap sounds much better.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I don't remember the echo in the canyon area cutscenes at all. Then again this section is completely forgettable. From the world map it just looks like all cliffs way above sea level with no gradual slopes, like someone took a few cookie cutters to a regular plateau and then stuck it on the ocean.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
The elder cucumber bit was actually mentioned before, unless it was skipped over in the LP. He talks about a legendary cucumber that turns any dish into a gourmet meal or something? I'm pretty sure it's spoken dialogue too, so it's either a consistent translation/localization error or this guy is just kinda weird.

Ramos posted:

God loving drat it.

Are we sure this is one of the shorter Tales games?
But they haven't unlocked the final dungeon yet! This will be 12 sidequest videos, tops.

Then later we will have 20 more.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

Is...is this archived?
Unfortunately they didn't finish the game, but the youtube playlist is here. Chronobind starts on Episode 23.

Kuvo posted:

If you still need your daily anime game fix might I suggest this newly released game
This is a good recommendation. Plenty of anime and a heaping amount of :birddrugs:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

How about a celebratory giant plushie?

Holy hell this is something I want to see in battle. :allears:
Seriously that thing must be bigger than Karol's actual model.

Also do that thing Curtiss said, it's actually very important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I don't think that's true? The bar should be full. Kuvo, have you gone to Zaphias? According to GameFAQs, the final scene should be in the lower quarter by the tavern.

• Locked thread