Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

At last, all my dreams are coming true :allears:

If you lose the audio for an episode, just bring in Alex and Mike to dub over the footage while completely wasted.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

I'm slightly sad this isn't one of the stupider Tales games. I mean, Vesperia's not high art, but it's downright intelligent compared to, say, Graces.

Oh poor Graces, your battle system is so fantastic, and your dungeons are so short and lacking in lovely puzzles, why must you be... you? :negative:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is actually becoming an ongoing trait for characters in Tales games, Jade in Abyss and Tenebrae in ToS2 were like that too for example.

Yuri just takes it to a new level by being the actual star.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alex made up for his comparative competence in battle by paying less attention to where the game was telling them to go than the other 3 combined.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think the same team makes all the 3D entries.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Adus posted:

That's a shame. You really should go back and watch it because it's pretty amazing. I had always hoped they'd play Vesperia with 4 players.

While this would be entertaining, swapping the other 40s (or at least Alex) for the DS crew means that no matter what, someone will actually be paying attention to the cutscenes, even if Kuvo decides to get completely wasted.

Edmond Dantes posted:

It always struck me as funny that Flynn and Yuri's roles seem to be reversed. In any other JRPG, Flynn would have been the protagonist and Yuri his "cool" but wayward friend that you end up fighting at some point before he joins up with you (not saying this is what happens here, just what you would expect from the archetype).

I'm so glad we got Yuri instead.

This is basically intentional I think, since Vesperia does much the same thing Code Geass season 1 did with contrasting the main character's fighting the system with the friend/rival's trying to reform it from within. In the case of the latter I believe it was even the director even said at one point that Lelouch and Suzaku were a reverse of the typical Gundam protagonist/rival relationship, which I think you can pretty much say about Flynn and Yuri as well, as far as JRPG conventions go.

Yuri is obviously somewhat more light-hearted a character than Lelouch, which is where the comparison breaks down I guess, but oh well.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

LeafyOrb posted:

drat you, I was going to make this comparison. I really do like their relationship though, It's a lot more friendly rivalry than murderous and confusing love/hate.

Even if Flynn is bland is hell and comes packed with the worst character in the game, who we get to meet next episode.

Well hey look at Flynn this way:

At least he's not Suzaku.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Worse yet, the JP version of Graces had an official Geass costume pack. Richard was Lelouch, Asbel was Suzaku, and I think Cheria was Kallen.

I kind of wanted it, would have made Graces marginally less insufferable :negative:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kuvo why wouldn't you join the Manbag guild? Guts is probably in that guild!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

At least that puzzle isn't based on the game ignoring that one of your party members can loving fly.

And actually does so for several other puzzles...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And in all fairness, the endgame isn't... BAD per se, it's just not as good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't know what I'm more disturbed by: that Tyson.gif, or the idea that Kuvo is a fan of Ah My Goddess.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MiniFoo posted:

The anime's great, I'm just saying the manga's better. They both diverge in story about halfway through anyway, since the manga wasn't completed by the time the anime was produced.

Yes both versions of Planetes are rad, and Yukimura's current work, Vinland Saga, is even better.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Graces F is the last Tales I played and I hated it for its writing (to the point that I never finished the Future Arc), but I thought it nailed the combat and I enjoyed the dungeons because they were JUST long enough that you didn't get sick of fighting things and they didn't have any lovely puzzles in them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Never finished or never started?

Because the Future Arc is the exact opposite, people hated the dungeons but the writing was so much better than the main game it's funny.

I beat like, one FA dungeon and stopped I think. I did appreciate that Richard and Malik just poo poo unrelentingly on the rest of the party but I just couldn't care anymore by that point. The plot of that game is so paper thin and Pascal and Sophie might be the worst characters in any Tales game besides the Dipshit Duo from Dawn of the New World.

That combat's radical though, it was so fun to be able to cut loose with artes because of the CC system.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 22, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't really remember there being puzzles in the Graces F dungeons either. That was something I actually liked about that game, the dungeons tended to be very short and didn't have any bullshit. The last dungeon in that game you can just run straight through in like, 3 minutes.

V Barely touched the FA, had no remaining motivation.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 7, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Between your non-optimal JRPG skills and your constant reference to those gosh darn Chinese deaf Kojiro comics, all your goon cred will be gone by the end of this Kuvo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If Repede is Jotaro, does Yuri showing chest all the time make him Giorno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kuvo posted:

mods, MODS!

Yes, Pat can't be allowed to tell such puns.

• Locked thread