Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doesn't Vesperia also have a journal thing in it like Symphonia did? I could've sworn it did which was great for when you leave the game alone for a while and then come back with no idea what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

So uhh, nice party member spoilers you've got there?

I dunno how much Kuvo cares (it can't be very much) but it's the principle of it.

Depending on how much attention they paid to the opening cinematic, it's not that much of a spoiler.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

momomimi posted:

Kinda have to laugh at this whole 'filler' quest, going out of your way to get ingredients for an item that is normally bought at the store, for it to not work at all. :shrug:

They had to introduce the mechanic somehow. v:v:v

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You guys missed the weapon that gives Repede Item Thrower. :ohdear: How are you gonna play the game without the dog there to give everyone items?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ShadowFox1001 posted:

It's as though Repede is in anguish at Karol's running in circles.

Dog is man's best friend. Man doesn't like loud child so neither does dog.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It's the absurd hammer he's holding that really makes this one.

I know it's a JRPG and all but a giant wooden hammer is nothing. Hell, if it was rubber or metal it'd look just like the one Mario used in Donkey Kong.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arkeus posted:

Estellise follow Yuri because she is a spoiled [REDACTED] and wants to see the world, and then Follow him for more concrete reasons. Rita at first uses Yuri to get those Blastia thief taken care of, and then Follow him because of PLOT. Karol follow him because he is lonely and wants to be a hero.

Karol is also tagging along because we all saw how he is. He wouldn't be able to make it back to wherever he lives on his own.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

First time playthroughs meaning: Nah I'll worry about that when I feel like a completionist and want all the items and costumes.

Which is a fine way to look at these games. Abyss is the best example of 'Ignore sidequests' because those are way too hard to find.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who knows Recover by this point? Also I think you guys missed Item Thrower once it became available for Repede.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 13, 2013

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm surprised that despite how much you guys don't like Karol you still keep him away from the monsters. I would've thought that using him as a meatshield would've been much more useful than just avoiding them entirely. Although this is probably me ruining the joke. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

What hardmode is.

Yeah early game on higher difficulties is always gonna be the most challenging mostly because there's not much you can do during it. Like take the Zagi fight for example. Between both characters, you've only got two artes and the only other options is run away or keep hitting B. It also doesn't help that they gave them all shields so early too. You're already doing so little damage so why would they pile that on top of it?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm playing along on my own time and ended up getting ahead but I think you might have the materials to make the party leader switching item now. Not the one for battles though, the one for changing who you're running around as in towns and the world map.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dastardly posted:

They also missed out on getting some rad cosmetic items for a while.

How? :confused: You can just make them whenever you go to a shop so it's not like there's any cut-off for getting stuff.

Speaking of that Secret Mission: You can just stand by an edge of the boat and guard. Zagi has one move that launches him up at you diagonally and when he does this you activate your Overlimit and send him into the water.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 24, 2013

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I thought that shields were just a mechanic in the game? Like, I feel like my own characters have had shields when attacked by weak attacks, and on higher difficulties basic enemies get them too when you have weak attacks. It seems that, to a certain extent, shields just exist. You just need to do little enough damage for them to take effect.

Yeah some bosses will have them but for the first boss in the game when you have so few methods of damaging them it feels like a bit much. But maybe that's just me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I don't think I was clear enough. From my experience, everything has Super Armor (shields) in this game. Enemies, every single boss, your characters, everyone. You just have to do low enough damage for it to activate. It turns out that bosses on higher difficulties is a good way to get it to activate on early bosses, but fighting things way above your level (either through speedrunning or turning up the difficulty) can make basic enemies have super armor as well.

Thing is that I'm pretty sure that the early bosses will still have that shield up even if you brought late-game items from a previous playthrough over.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh boy! We're finally through the wordy town! Now it's only smooth sailing onto the next one! [Just power through things a little more, it's gonna pick up in a big way.] Mostly because the next dungeon has the monsters that drop items that'll let you finally craft a character switcher. No more being forced to play as Karol soon!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

That and the two other party members we get in that town's plot if I'm remembering right.

I was leaving that out to be a surprise! <:mad:>

ShadowFox1001 posted:

But you could switch Karol out of the party from the menu screen. The character switcher allows you to switch between characters in the middle of battle. Like, if you get a surprise encounter, you can switch to a different character if you don't like the one you have (for 2P and up). Also, not sure if this should be a spoiler or open.

It's still gonna be pretty useful, considering how many times they're getting back-attacked though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Glazius posted:

I love that they brought Yuri's case file out to interrogate him with and it looks to need at least two dudes to carry.

I wonder if that's entirely what the two Tweedles actually do all day.

Maybe that's how they keep getting stronger to then be used as tutorial punching bags

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the Insert Horn is from Keiv Moc, not the Quoi Woods. Maybe both.

It's hard to miss, you get it off of a flying beetle monster. But you're right though. They haven't even gotten to the right forest.

They avoided too many Golems though and that's why they couldn't make the Special Flag.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

The Moon Selector is something that's been bothering me in my hard mode game. Namely, I don't even have the option to create it despite having the materials. I wonder if this is the Tales way of instituting main character death game overs.

That's really weird, since I just started a new game plus recently and I was able to make it as soon I got up the hill in Zaphias I believe? Whatever Yuri's hometown is called.

You sure you're looking at the right side for your item quantity though?

ShadowFox1001 posted:

You get a Special Flag from a boss fight later in the game (because a particular plot point will require it).

If this game was on the Gamecube, by the time they gave you that it'd be the second disk. Granted, it's not an item that's necessary to improve the fun of the game and shouldn't be locked away though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When the boss threw you up in the air, press the guard button (X) to flip and land on your feet. I'd have a gif of Repede and Raven doing if, if I could figure out how to make one of the drat things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NextTime000 posted:

Isn't there a menu for equipping skills after you learned them from the weapons, and that you have to balance a finite supply of "skill points" to keep skills equipped? Could'a sworn there was one of those, and if so I don't think we have seen it in this adventure yet.

Yeah and there're also skills that might not be worth the effort too! :v: So looking at what you're learning before buying the weapon is a pretty good idea most to all of the time!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

I can't wait for someone to equip that Estoc and become very confused as to why they have no SP any more. Rise attack uses up SP with every normal hit and is probably the worst skill in the game.

We've done it now. Doesn't the Estoc also teach Magic as well so it's an even worse weapon for Yuri/The Dude than usual?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm sure the game will answer this at some point, but why does Rita always refer to Blastia like they're people? And why always "he" or "him"? Has she ever referred to a Blastia as "she" before?

muike posted:

Her crippling autism creates a need to create people out of objects whose properties and behavior she can control and predict. They are her Wilson.

Alternatively, Blastia are just like code in The Matrix, if you study them long enough you just see people or animals. :tinfoil:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, Judith was really stingy on using artes. One thing I might recommend is that you order your artes by whatever direction they seem to go. So like right for Dragon Swarm, down for Destruction Field stuff like that.

Oh and moving Rita's physical attacks to the right stick. So you can have both mixed together for whatever weaknesses show up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neruz posted:

Nothing you do or say will make Kuvo play this game properly.

I just want them to have some extra artes available. :v: They've already got the Moon Selector Which really really didn't need to be something you had to earn. So best to take advantage of all the available features.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

So what was the Swamp level mentioned in the last video? I never finished Symphonia and never watched the T40s LP, so I can't remember if I ever saw it.

I can't remember a swamp in that game, for the life of me. I think they meant the Ymir Forest? I'll totally take 'go hit some gears with your ring' over Box pushing, hopping on trees for an eagle to pick you up, boars and making currents for a piece of fruit to float over to a place that you can pick it out of the water. :v:

Here's the video where it starts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you guys think this is bad, go read Sydin's LP of Tales of the Abyss. :v: I've never even played that one and it makes me appreciate how things are in this one. Judith's spear is about as close as we get to how bad Abyss handles things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

At least none of the scenes with Duke are required for anything else gameplaywise and just exist for the sake of plot.

Speaking of which, did they already miss the next part of the sidequest that involves returning back to Ghasfarost with Judith or does that come later?

The next part of the sidequest trigger is so loving far away. So no. The part of it you're thinking of is like ten hours away or something. And four steps ahead of where we'd be at right now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Dog, Judy, and Rita don't have time for this stupid "healing" thing, because they're too busy [...] bashing people in the skull with books.

And smacking Karol upside the head. Which is really all you could ask for out of one of these characters.

I mean aside from being able to walk around as Repede.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kuvo posted:

I think you're being a bit unfair to Yuri. In the last 30 episodes Yuri and co. has killed dozens of human npcs with no regret or hesitation, and then many times immediately segued into cheerful/wacky skits, and no one called him a sociopath then. But now that he goes and murders the person arguably most deserving of death, he’s a sociopath?

Most of those random 'human' monsters where also cursed with Fire Emblem syndrome. None of them really had a face of any kind. But as soon as you kill someone with a name and face and power then it's all 'whoa hold on there, maybe have a little chat with the powerless princess and maybe that dude who looks like he could be Flynn's brother before going all Punisher!' Not to mention all the people with names have to go into this whole big spiel after you beat them.

On the other hand I can't say I'm surprised he's so calm about all this. I mean after killing the guy and making sure there's no more kids being thrown into monster dungeons I'd imagine that'd cheer you up a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy Bottles are sold at shops. If you buy them and then use them, you can skip fights easier. [You have to literally rub up against the enemies to get into a fight with them.] Plus they won't run at you either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

The second part of this is what drove me to quit my hard mode game. gently caress playing as Rita/Estelle/Karol.

I must just play too many games then cause splitting your party up sent a clear signal that something was gonna happen and I was gonna have to play everyone else. So I left Repede to hang back.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Yuri auto-recruits Repede during the cutscene talking about splitting up, so I don't think you can actually do that. Scooby and Shaggy stick together.

Maybe it was Raven then? I dunno, I either left someone back or just didn't have much trouble with it since I play video games sober. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Heavenator posted:

So does the game really not teach you how to run away until you are this far in?

The game never tells you how to run. It's only brought up here because that's a pretty tough monster. Also part of a sidequest. If you're like me, you check what everything does, anyway, once you're free to do things outside of cutscenes. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brunom1 posted:

I've no idea why you couldn't hit the Leader Bat

I suppose you could've used Yuri's upwards melee attack

I think that's what got them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah, Vesperia has a bad habit of that. Actually, Tales games in general love to have a core group of enemies they just reskin over and over. I guess because the monsters are just filler to draw out the dungeons: the real fun comes from the bosses.

I think that's actually just 'a thing' in JRPGs. Even Paper Mario had the staple enemies and then a bunch of reskinned versions of them. Goomba, Hyper Goomba, Paragoomba, Spiky Goomba, Hyper Paragoomba, Hyper Spiky Goomba, Gloomba, Spiky Gloomba etc etc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

Hold down the Arte button after connecting with any Arte during Overlimit, but performing one ends the Overlimit, mostly because it runs out by the time the Burst Arte is finished.

Ooh are we giving tips on playing the game now?

Press the guard button while thrown in the air to flip and land on your feet.

Check what skills weapons are trying to give you before you start using them. :v: Karol and dog really don't need any magic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NextTime000 posted:

well wouldn't Nice Aid Smash benifit from him having more magic? :v:

Not really, since it just heals a percentage of everyone's health like Gels do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geop posted:

Also Vicas I quoted you and made a new thread title (with tag), per this update :v:

Appreciation Station. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Incidentally am I the only one who got the impression that Flynn saw all of that and just ignored it because it made his job easier, and he's kinda accepting the whole "two sides of the justice coin" thing?

They're gonna have to talk about "something" though. :jerkbag:

Maybe he took a page out of Yuri's book and slaughtered his way to that promotion!

• Locked thread