Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I keep reading Elite Squad 2 as Police Squad 2 and am getting increasingly annoyed there will never be a Robocop film with Leslie Nielson as the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wild T posted:

To be fair the machines were stupid in their creator's image. I tuned the movie out after Skynet turned out to be Helena Bonham Carter's giant face giving an exposition-filled monologue to Sam Worthington's character. Why the hell would an AI bother explaining itself to one of its drones, anyway?

Marcus wasn't a robot. He was a person who happened to be loaded with prosthetic 'upgrades' - the exact same setup as Murphy in this film, down to the transmitter on the back of his head.

The AI bothered to explain itself because it could not bypass speech and directly control Marcus. It put on a human face in order to appear relatable, the joke being that it sucks at being human. Skynet rationally explains that it's in Marcus' best interests are to serve it. It doesn't expect him to do the 'irrational' thing and kill himself.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Marcus wasn't a robot. He was a person who happened to be loaded with prosthetic 'upgrades' - the exact same setup as Murphy in this film, down to the transmitter on the back of his head.

Gonna have to rewatch Salvation now, the way I remember it Marcus-the-person was long dead and gone, Skynet just used his face and reconstructed some memories for him after wrapping a special terminator chassis in Marcus-skin. The reason he wasn't as durable as other terminators was because of these alterations that would help him pass as human (and presumably this is why he had a human heart, to simulate a pulse, idunno the movie was kind of dumb).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WarLocke posted:

Gonna have to rewatch Salvation now, the way I remember it Marcus-the-person was long dead and gone, Skynet just used his face and reconstructed some memories for him after wrapping a special terminator chassis in Marcus-skin. The reason he wasn't as durable as other terminators was because of these alterations that would help him pass as human (and presumably this is why he had a human heart, to simulate a pulse, idunno the movie was kind of dumb).

I thought he was too, a full terminator, but according to the Terminator wiki he's exactly like Robocop.

quote:

The project began with Marcus Wright, who donated his body as a test subject. He was successfully transformed into a cybernetic organism, his skeleton replaced with a hyper-alloy replica while still retaining key biological components such as the brain, organs, eyes, and curiously his gums and teeth (though these could have been prosthetic). The result was a stronger, faster, and more resilient vessel in which he could survive beyond death.

http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Hybrid

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

poptart_fairy posted:

I keep reading Elite Squad 2 as Police Squad 2 and am getting increasingly annoyed there will never be a Robocop film with Leslie Nielson as the lead.

Dead or Alive it looks like you picked a bad day to call me Shirely.

Yeeeeah I got nuthin.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

poptart_fairy posted:

If you want to see something like that, look into NTSF:SD:SUV:: -- it comes very close to Police Squad's anarchist spirit, and they have a Robocop parody in the episode "Hawaii Die-O" with Ed Helms.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
So it turns out there's another Robocop remake out right now. I haven't watched it yet but here is a clip

:nws: http://vimeo.com/86014703 :nws:

Looks like you can watch the whole thing at http://www.ourrobocopremake.com/

quote:

Our RoboCop Remake is a crowd-sourced film project based on the 1987 Paul Verhoeven classic. Connected through various filmmaking channels (including Channel 101) we're 50 filmmakers (amateur and professional) from Los Angeles and New York who have split the original RoboCop into individual pieces and have remade the movie ourselves. Not necessarily a shot-for-shot remake, but a scene-for-scene retelling. As big fans of the original RoboCop, and as filmmakers and film fans admittedly rolling our eyes at the Hollywood remake machine, we've elected to do this remake thing our own way.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Just saw this and hey, I actually liked it. I'm sure my opinion would be different if I had actually seen the original :v: but I really cannot handle blood and gore, which I have heard the movie features heavily.

The guy playing Murphy in this was not the best actor, and some of the sfx were a little ehhhh, but overall I think this was pretty decent. I genuinely felt something when Murphy saw what was left of his body and his first reaction was "oh dear god, kill me". I also thought they did a good job making RoboCop seem intimidating- the suit and the sounds he made were well done, and in the action scenes he moved just robotically enough that it looked alien and frightening without going into bad cgi territory.

Holy crap though this movie was not subtle. They should have just had the actors hold up signs with "I AM BILL O'REILLY" and "I AM STEVE JOBS" on them, it would have been about as blunt.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

EgoEgress posted:

Just saw this and hey, I actually liked it. I'm sure my opinion would be different if I had actually seen the original :v: but I really cannot handle blood and gore, which I have heard the movie features heavily.

:catstare: Go see the original. Right now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LeJackal posted:

:catstare: Go see the original. Right now.

Seconded. RoboCop is one of those movies everyone needs to see. Right up there with Goonies.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

It's on my todo list, really- I know it's a good film. My watch list is getting massive, though; a trekkie friend is planning on making me watch all the old movies so I can know how bad the new ones are. :rolleyes:

Really, though, with remakes my philosophy is to treat the new ones as completely separate entities. I find it helps me enjoy more films, and even if they suck, it's not like the old movie is gone. Just pretend this new movie isn't RoboCop if it makes you feel better. :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

EgoEgress posted:

It's on my todo list, really- I know it's a good film. My watch list is getting massive, though; a trekkie friend is planning on making me watch all the old movies so I can know how bad the new ones are. :rolleyes:

Holy poo poo have you been living under a rock?

At least tell me you've seen the original Red Dawn.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I am so sorry your first Robocop experience was with the remake :smith:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

WarLocke posted:

Right up there with Goonies.

WarLocke posted:

At least tell me you've seen the original Red Dawn.

Don't watch either of these movies.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

penismightier posted:

This man is so wrong. He probably also didn't like Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

EgoEgress posted:

Really, though, with remakes my philosophy is to treat the new ones as completely separate entities. I find it helps me enjoy more films, and even if they suck, it's not like the old movie is gone. Just pretend this new movie isn't RoboCop if it makes you feel better. :v:

Why are you still posting? Go watch the original.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

penismightier posted:

Seconding The Goonies, but the old Red Dawn rules. And penismightier and I are almost universally opposed on good film, so anything we agree on has to be good.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

If that's all it takes to shock you, my movie history would put y'all into comas: The only Terminator movie I've seen is Salvation. I've never seen Goonies or The Sound of Music or Back to the Future or the first two Indiana Jones'- pick a beloved classic, I probably haven't seen it. Most of my life I've had no interest in movies; it's only now that I'm starting to get into them a bit at a time. I'm probably the lowest common denominator.

But come on now, this wasn't that bad of a movie. Not amazing, and I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to the original, but I still liked it.

Edit: I do solemnly swear not to post in CineD again until I have seen the original RoboCop.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Holy poo poo we need to make a list of movies for this guy to watch. No BttF? Watch that poo poo before RoboCop, gently caress.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EgoEgress posted:

If that's all it takes to shock you, my movie history would put y'all into comas: The only Terminator movie I've seen is Salvation. I've never seen Goonies or The Sound of Music or Back to the Future or the first two Indiana Jones'- pick a beloved classic, I probably haven't seen it. Most of my life I've had no interest in movies; it's only now that I'm starting to get into them a bit at a time. I'm probably the lowest common denominator.

But come on now, this wasn't that bad of a movie. Not amazing, and I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to the original, but I still liked it.

Edit: I do solemnly swear not to post in CineD again until I have seen the original RoboCop.
I was going to tell you to get out of CD and go watch some movies but it looks like you took care of that in your edit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ferris Bueller is overrated!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Please tell me you've at least seen Predator.....

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
No man you have to watch THIS 80's movie from my childhood.

You're all showing your age :colbert:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

EgoEgress posted:

Ignore them. I've met a handful of people who have not seen the original Robocop, so this will make an interesting test case regarding the remake.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

I'll cut you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vintersorg posted:

You're a monster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Szmitten posted:

No man you have to watch THIS 80's movie from my childhood.

You're all showing your age :colbert:

I'm 22. :colbert:

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was 4-5 years old when Predator, Robocop, and Aliens came out. I think I got into Terminator when T2 came out. I grew up watching these on VHS over and over again. I consider them essential young male education, hope my stepson doesn't think they suck when he's old enough to watch them.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Having rewatched this, I noticed a couple of things I didn't the first time around that I really liked. Both are more subtle than I realized on the first go-round.

One: Every review I've read seems to focus in really hard on the drones in the movie. This is funny, because the movie is not even in the ballpark of discussing the ethics of drones. Military drones are remote-piloted, not robots, and inherently different. What the movie is focusing on, like the original, is the militarization of police to the point that they may as well be robots. When police perceive themselves to be at war lethal response becomes an automatic response, even to a nonsensical threat - like a kid brandishing a knife at a fifteen foot tall combat robot. It's directly attacking the 'us vs them' mentality of many police.

Two: An extension of this are the two weapons given to Robocop. An incredibly lethal .50 Beowulf submachine gun and a nonlethal taser are shown to be practically interchangeable. He's only shown deliberately using the taser when dealing with 'face' characters that are important to the plot. When it comes to random thugs and mooks he's firing far too fast to even determine which weapon he's using. It drives home a solid point that force is force, and that the taser and the gun are rapidly becoming interchangeable. We've all read dozens of stories of real life police tasing people for increasingly petty infractions, ignoring escalation of force policies and utilizing less-than-lethal response as a crutch and a shortcut.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Saw this last night. Am I alone in thinking that they were teasing a possible sequel and future villain in the Philadelphia police officer that Pope called "Masculinity Incarnate" while Norton said that he had a temper and that said temper would pose an issue?

Overall, I liked the film. Doesn't live up to the original, but as a stand-alone it holds its own decently enough.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Scyantific posted:

Saw this last night. Am I alone in thinking that they were teasing a possible sequel and future villain in the Philadelphia police officer that Pope called "Masculinity Incarnate" while Norton said that he had a temper and that said temper would pose an issue?

That would actually be a bad-rear end sequel.

Oh I kept meaning to address: someone a while ago was asking what the deal was with the artwork change in Sellars' office partway into the film. Three months had elapsed, so it was just to show change in time. The entire police precinct goes from dilapidated to plastic, shiny, and new as well.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Another shining example of the private sector doing what public sector doing could not.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Whoops, ignore this

MyronGognitti
Jun 15, 2008

by zen death robot
Show this remake to somebody who has never seen the original Robocop. Then do what I did with my brother and Total Recall:

Show them the original.

I had the biggest grin on my face hearing him react to the effects(the escalator scene got him the most) and was pleased to know he liked it better than the director's cut of the new TR and we got into a long discussion about the ambiguity of the originals ending.

This might not end so well if you do it with a senior citizen

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I watched the new Robocop again and I think I picked out one of the main reasons why I like it so much--like Watchmen, it plays heavily with viewer cognitive dissonance. Multiple conflicting ideas are depicted simultaneously, each presented on the surface--as given and accepted as good, then you had to figure out which side you (or the movie) actually stood on.

As a kind of result of that, the original movie was more obvious in its satire, but the new one is no less savage or biting. The old one does it and asks you to join in on the laughter, the new one does it and asks you to participate.

^^^ There was a director's cut? What did they toss in there?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 4, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

api call girl posted:

Basically any scene where someone dies, in the director's cut the die a lot more. Murphy and Kenny get absolutely shot to pieces (literally in Murphy's case). The neck-stabbing involves a lot more squirting. That sort of thing. I don't really recall any 'deleted' scenes, just a lot more brutality in scenes that were already fairly shocking before.

Edit: I'm dumb and don't understand what arrows are

Wild T fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 5, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wild T posted:

Basically any scene where someone dies, in the director's cut the die a lot more. Murphy and Kenny get absolutely shot to pieces (literally in Murphy's case). The neck-stabbing involves a lot more squirting. That sort of thing. I don't really recall any 'deleted' scenes, just a lot more brutality in scenes that were already fairly shocking before.

I think he was talking about Total Recall DC, the new one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RoboCop (1987) Is an Almost Perfectly Symmetrical Film

This is actually really interesting to consider

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

api call girl posted:

I watched the new Robocop again and I think I picked out one of the main reasons why I like it so much--like Watchmen, it plays heavily with viewer cognitive dissonance. Multiple conflicting ideas are depicted simultaneously, each presented on the surface--as given and accepted as good, then you had to figure out which side you (or the movie) actually stood on.

As a kind of result of that, the original movie was more obvious in its satire, but the new one is no less savage or biting. The old one does it and asks you to join in on the laughter, the new one does it and asks you to participate.

It is a real conundrum. Do I side with the the guy that is being used by the lovely greedy villain or do I side with the lovely greedy villain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Finally got around to watching this because I'm awful at supporting movies in a timely manner and HOLY loving poo poo this was fantastic. As if there wasn't a massive amount of supporting evidence for this mindset already, it's just another example of why I'll never trash a remake before actually getting to experience it myself. Though I'm sure it didn't hurt that I went into the film with some pretty positive vibes after remembering that massive nerdrage article about the leaked script where AVClub reviewer (or whoever) couldn't tell a sass-hole from his rear end in a top hat.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 21, 2014

• Locked thread