Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

You CAN tell quite a bit from the trailer for most movies that aren't deliberately cut to be misleading. As Noxville says, there's a total Total Recall vibe going on here. Robocop is the first R-rated movie I ever saw and Total Recall is the first R-rated movie I ever saw in a theater- any slick CGI PG-13 attempt to cash in on the name recognition of the originals is going to be rightfully derided as what it is- a soulless money grab. No amount of Gary Oldman or Michael Keaton or what I'm pretty sure is going to be less than 10 minutes of screen time for Samuel L. Jackson is going to save this piece of poo poo and I'm not afraid to say so.

Also, guy that thinks it will suck but is going to see it anyway because ohmygodRobocop- how about not financially supporting movies that you think will suck? Money is the only thing that Hollywood understands and you're confusing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

hmmm, maybe it's because Robocop isn't Spiderman and you don't need to do the equivalent of killing Uncle Ben in order to show how he got this way?

The visceral, personal murder of Murphy by the film's protagonist is a pretty important part of the whole conceit of Robocop.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Okay, smartasses, you know what I meant.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

I don't remember the OCP President personally murdering Murphy.

The OCP president was not the antagonist either, you pedantic poo poo.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Dick Jones yes, is the senior president of OCP, and yes, he is the films' main antagonist.

How about you address my point about the nature of Murphy's death, rather than having a semantic argument?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It's not personal to order flunkies to torture the man, then put a bullet in his brain- at least more personal than a car bomb is?

I'm not angry either, I just don't like pedantry, the guy knew what I was trying to say.

EDIT: The differentiation between Boddicker and Jones as "main antagonist" is not really important for what I'm trying to say, which is that the way Murphy dies is important. The entire character arc changes when it's a car bomb and his wife (apparently) gets a say in what's done with the body instead of the embodiment of the big bad actually murdering Murphy.

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 13, 2013

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

A car bomb needs to be set up in advance on a specific car, it is specifically a premeditated and offensive mode of killing. Clarence kills people just for being in his line of sight. Far as anybody but Murphy is concerned, he might as well have been crushed under a falling vending machine; while Kurtwood Smith gives a performance that totally makes the film Clarence isn't the primary antagonist so much as a standin for the larger social decay with OCP at its heart. The whole point is there's absolutely nothing personal about it, there is no personal anymore, except in the transitory and random acquaintance of coworkers and rivalry between the corporate executives.

I always interpreted the angle that Verhoeven chose for the shotguns while Boddicker's gang tears Murphy up looked a lot like a bunch of penises committing a murderous rape (of Murphy's humanity) and the raw brutality of the scene- "does it hurt?" and the way Murphy went out made it more personal to me. That's why I always thought Robocop retained some of his humanity in spite of them trying to strip away all of it that they could, setting up the main character's internal conflict. I don't get that from a car bomb.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Dickeye posted:

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Perhaps we should wait and see how it is actually handled before dismissing it as a bad thing!

Yeah, I mean, that's fair.

But the overall tone of the trailer, the pieces of what we've seen so far, is adding up to be a lot more Total Recall than Batman Begins if you get my drift, also bear in mind these are just snarky comments based solely on impressions from a trailer. It's not really a big deal if the movie is terrible, either, it will just be the freshest entry in the long line of things that came after the original Robocop but were based on it that are terrible, it just remains to be seen in what way.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Arthur, Planet of the Apes, Poseidon, The Stepford Wives, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Psycho.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I did mean that one but I don't see why a remake being more than 5 years old means it gets a pass on being terrible?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

February release, no promotion...signs of a stinker if I ever saw 'em.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Seeing as how it's PG-13, I think you're gonna be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

A stop-motion ED-209 is infinitely more scary than that pinball poo poo; still and always. You know when that barrel escape bullshit starts that he'll be just fine. And I really hope Oldman is in this thing enough to justify seeing it :mad:

• Locked thread