Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The biggest problem with this remake of robocop, and really a lot of modern blockbusters is that much like in the 80's we are in another era of big budget B-movies. The difference is that today's big budget B-movies are trying to convince you that they are deep well written stories. That they deserve to be taken seriously. Where as in the 80's where we had they same kinds of big budget schlock. They had fun with their movies. They knew they were b movies and they ran with it. And if the script was good enough you could see real themes and messages in the movies.

This just looks like a generic superhero movie where they are making it obvious they take themselves really seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

New video up on Facebook. Interview with the cast and director.

Joel Kinnaman seems like a completely wooden dude and not half as intelligent as Peter Weller :(

Although both Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton say good things about him, so maybe there's something there that just isn't showing in this video.

The more I see about this Robocop, the more it just really looks like a nothing movie. Like it just seems like the most base level kind of movie there is. The "social commentary" seems shoehorned in. It just all seems terribly dull. I remember in one of the dvd releases of Robocop they talked to the screenwriter and he said that America is deiseased, and the disease is capitalism. That to me is the place Robocop should be coming from. A supremely angry movie with a real point to make. I respect some of the changes they made. Keaton being the jobs style C.E.O. is a good touch. The black suit does look like something a tech company would release. It just doesn't seem as if there is any passion coming from anywhere on this film. It looks like they are just making what people expect. Is it really that revolutionary to say drones are bad? The more I see the more it seems like they just want this to be another superhero franchise.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Steve Yun posted:

Director Josa Padilha got his start with a documentary exploring slum conditions and societal factors that led to a hostage crisis in Brazil. He's since made two movies about police brutality and political corruption, and another documentary about world hunger and how it's portrayed in the media.

As far as up and coming directors go, that's winning the anger/social justice/not-superficial lottery.

edit: The movie may end up sucking but I think so far the signs are good, and I fear that the trailers/videoclips might even be giving away too much about the movie

Did he write the film?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So what it sounds like from the reviews here and other places is that the movie is Robocop if you took out the fun of Robocop.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Wild T posted:

Pretty much. The biggest joke in the remake is that Robocop himself is ultimately useless and just exists solely to make the public feel good. I didn't think it was truly a critique of drones at all. It seemed like more a critique of police forces that have become increasingly militarized, faceless and invulnerable while having next to zero net gain in actual crime prevention.

That is exactly the same message as Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

api call girl posted:

You're confusing Dredd the movie with Dredd the subversive comic. In the comics he shoots jaywalkers. In the movie he fights a gang of drug dealers armed with military grade heavy weapons and who start a turf war by skinning a bunch of enforcers and dropping them off a skyscraper balcony.

Except the whole film shows how Judges has caused how lovely their whole world is, and you even get the speech from the villain about how even if you kill him or arrest him or anything it doesn't matter because all you are doing is participating in a system that is just a giant meat grinder. So him dying is just as normal as anything else in that society. Not to mention that like in the comic, you don't ever see Dredds face because he is the faceless militarized police force where they can only prevent in their words 6 percent of crime. The movie is pretty subversive.

• Locked thread