Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

LeJackal posted:

I'll just collect some of the things I said in the other thread.

This is a PG-13 focus-group tested slickified 'safe bet' remake of a popular franchise from the past loaded with nostalgia that pretty much ensures the exclusion of:

A) Any form of intellectual exercise, including difficult questions on the nature of identity and the process of death, the machinations of corporatism and subsumation of the individual, or the quintessential struggle for humanity to separate the self from technology.
B) Any visceral or 'gory' visuals that would shock the viewer into a state of mental/emotional vulnerability that would allow for penetrating observations or reflections on a number of topics or that would add a sense of realism to ground the fantastic elements.

In short, the film promises to be sterile and impotent both visually and intellectually - the exact opposite of Cronenberg, who has always sought to push the limits of the essential question; Who am I? Either by questioning the boundaries of the body and its uselessness as a border of self, or the mental/emotional aspect of identity which is even more malleable and less reliable than flesh, Cronenberg would seem to be the antithesis of the presented film in scope and depth.

This is an idiot in a plastic open-face balaclava. Notice how he looks like a dude at a costume party.

This is the remains of a human corpse wedged into a cradle of silicon and steel, a dead man's face mockingly affixed to its front. Notice how this closely resembles more a golem than a man and highlights the nightmarish waking death that has befallen the souless shade of Peter Murphy.

(Really, the makeup effect they used in the original made it look as though OCP literally harvested his face and strapped it on as something close to an afterthought. It really struck me, and still does, as representing the thin veneer of false humanity they wished to slap on for the sake of some PR intern.)

I don't know why you keep referencing Cronenberg since uh.. Paul Verhoeven directed the original Robocop and the original was Jesus Robot and a distinct send up of the 1980s and American Consumerism.

Cronenberg deals with some Body Horror stuff but really his main focus is about the inherent alieness aspects of our psyche that are part of our inherent nature and society at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I mean they had Rambo action figures although that may have been to do with the cartoon, but yeah all rated R movies that were scifi usually had some sort of toy tie in.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Honestly, I really liked it. I found it really disappointing in social commentary, but the added just sheer loving horror of what was done to him and the emotion and man vs. machine was great. I wish that it had stronger villians and I still don't understand some things

Wait , why was it bad that he talked to the press? Why did they want to kill him? Because he exposed corruption? He readjusted his own dopamine and was in control again? I'm still unclear on the motivation to kill him because it seemed to me that he got better once he overwrote his own programming. I dunno, just wish it had better villians

Very different movie in tone and scope, it was really more drama and I enjoyed that. Maybe not as great as the original, but still I enjoyed it.

Also, the technology level was totally loving believable and the first scenes of Gary Oldman's character was fantastic the whole loving rehab clinic.

The tech in the film was completely believable , it was not just "magic".

The CCTV thing was loving insanely scary when you think about it.

Also HOLY poo poo The scene, you know which one. Where he's just a loving head and lungs and hand. Holy poo poo! That was loving gruesome and terrifying

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 15, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The more I think about the film the more I like it, because while yes Michael Keatons character got a little cartoonish toward the end there. Pretty much everyone in the film were pretty much well competent The fact is though is that the technology worked. It was working, the whole point of the movie isn't to make a super robot to stop crime, they can do that fine. They just wanted political points.

Just like Robocop the original was based around the excess of the 80s, this one was exactly about our culture today and there by really it's a perfect reboot reimagining whatever. Because it fits the time. I think that's why people seem to have trouble with it. It's all about how interwined corporations are in our lives now and persistance of the surveillance state.

It's a drat good film, it has a few low points but its really good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I got to see this again at a matinee and it still held up, it really is good once you get into the groove of it. I think it's overshadowed by the first though.

I'm rewatching Robocop 2 right now, and honestly it's not that bad.

• Locked thread