Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

if you're gonna remake an 80s film, you don't have to make it an exact copy of the original, you just have to create a similar kind of atmosphere and feel to it so that it's connected with the original.

I really want to read a justification for this statement. Does John Carpenter's the Thing connect its atmosphere to the original 1951 The Thing from Outer Space? Why do we have to preserve the atmosphere of 80's film when remaking something that's going on 30 years old? Audiences have changed; tastes have changed. Why do we have to preserve the "atmosphere?"

Not even commenting on the trailer, I just want to know why you say this in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jefferoo posted:

Yes, I too am terrified of being carbombed by organized crimelords.

You're not supposed to be Robocop. He died and was resurrected to save us from evil. And today he takes the fight to 'dem drat ter'rists threatening the American way!

(Did they say who it was that bombed him in the trailer? I don't remember that.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I still haven't seen the original 1951 Thing From Outer Space, but the 2011 remake of The Thing stays pretty faithful to Carpenter's version from 1982 in tone/atmosphere, and I thought it was a pretty decent movie.

Audiences and tastes may have changed since 1987, but does that mean that the original has to be forgotten in the name of catering to them? I don't think so. If you're gonna make a movie with a completely different feel than the original, make a new original movie, don't use the same name/general plot as a classic film.

That's because the 2011 film isn't a remake, but a prequel. It tries to be faithful because you have to believe that after it wraps up the '82 film can pick up where it leaves off.

And no one's going to forget the original, which will continue to exist. That's actually part of the problem for this film--people here won't stop thinking about the original while they watch the trailer and tick boxes in their head about how they believe it has already failed. Putting the original out of my mind when looking at that trailer actually makes the film seem better.

edit: Could they have avoided that by making an original film? Who knows. The film they might have made in that hypothetical situation could have been accused of being a rip-off, or never even had a chance because of a lack of brand recognition, or been the messiah of social commentary action movies for all we know.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 7, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Didn't hear a name for the partner, so maybe Lewis is still in the movie in some other way. Kill Murphy's partner and he teams up with a transfer in a reversal of their meeting from the original movie? Maybe Lewis was merged with his wife and that's her maiden name now.

edit: Welp.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 7, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Pat as it is to say "drones are bad" in your movie, I'm sure there's a lot of people that could stand to benefit from the message. And even after watching it, there will still be people who, unless it's a foreign country that's oppressing/injuring/killing US citizens (I mean people started committing hate crimes on people of Korean descent after Olympus has Fallen came out), will still think using drones or robots to control civilians is an acceptable "price of freedom."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Omar from the Wire is playing Lewis, so that's pretty interesting to me.

Hopefully they don't actually waste him by killing him off in the first few minutes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Jonny Angel posted:

Wait but the American police force isn't militarized at all

You say that, but I see a lot of people in GBS complaining about how quickly we deploy SWAT for every thing and occasionally make direct comparisons to the military, so the perception of militarizing the police is certainly there.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 9, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's not as good as the first one, but by a small margin. It's still very entertaining, and the comedic parts are on par with anything from the first one. The plot gets pretty ridiculous but it's fun to watch.

Now, the same can't be said for Robocop 3. Stay far away from that piece of poo poo.

Watching all three movies long before I was old enough, I think this is a fair assessment. Robocop 1 titillated (Boobies! Dismemberment!) and excited me; Robocop 2 horrified and amused me (Ha ha! He's acting superfriendly because he's been reprogrammed oh that guy just pulled his own head off); Robocop 3 is kid-friendly boring garbage even the kids it was aimed at couldn't like.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And one of the other trailers showed him fighting human gangsters. I mean, that's what they built him for in the first place, so that has to happen.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

As cool as the spike was, why on earth would they make that? I mean are you expecting the regular disk jockeys to carrying around metal spikes for jamming into databanks? You only ever see Robocop use one--did they retrofit all the record-keeping hardware so he could use it freely? Why then does that gormless dork there object to his doing so?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I think that's a pretty good poster, for me it evokes a kind of 80's aesthetic. Kind of reminds me of Buckaroo Banzai, I think. Seems pretty distinct--don't think a lot of other posters are going to be going for something that stark.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope everyone else's performance is as out of control as that.

loving love Keaton.

Rhyno posted:

Weller became my favorite actor when I was a kid based on his presence in Robocop alone. I will watch absolutely anything that man acts in.

Hey, me too! Well, that and my dad was a huge fan of Buckaroo Banzai and we watched that film a lot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

This is the only actual movie thread in CD that I read. It is amazing. :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

wyoming posted:

Well you see, a big part of being a nerd is buying things you hate (comics, movies, TV shows, and so on) and then complaining about how terrible they are. Every nerd worth his nerd salt that bitched about the Robocop remake is going to pay and see it, and then whine on their blog that they just knew it was going to be terrible. It's so ingrained they just assume it's the norm.

At first I was silently congratulating myself for not fitting that description, and then I remembered I paid to see the second and third Star Wars prequels after being warned by the first.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Saw the film today. I think I liked it. I'm still kind of freaked out by the body horror scene. I mean that pretty much the stuff of nightmares. But I think I was more freaked out by how he was so easy to manipulate after they started tweaking him. Him going from an amputee victim to an automaton disturbed me probably more than anything else. I felt like the tracking down of the crime lord was a little...perfunctory. The emphasis in the film really, really is one the guys watching his brain. I kind of like the sequel potential the film still has.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

NOW - despite all that, I do not like the actor who played Murphy. He doesn't have the same gravitas as Peter Weller. Something didn't fully click - he did well but I just couldn't get into him playing it.

Yeah, the actor didn't seem like he worked on all levels, like he had some limited range. He really seemed at his best once he was in the suit. I think he does an excellent job of playing a hood in his undercover work--he sells that quite nicely--but the other stuff up to the explosion and his transformation--his actual on-the-job cop persona and his family presence--felt off. I think he comported himself okay after that and I think he worked very well in a few key scenes, like the aforementioned body reveal, mostly because at a certain point you're not sure how much of him being slightly off isn't because of some level of interference, but at the end of the day he doesn't have Weller's presence.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 14, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Jay Baruchel was the best person to cast as far as "we need a guy to say funny stuff." Prior to seeing the film I was like "Well, Jay's in it so I'll enjoy that at least."

"I'm just in marketing!"

Personally I loved Michael Keaton more than I knew I would. My favorite line was his response to Jay: "Well, that's just...embarrassing."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, one of the reasons I think Robocop 3 doesn't work is because it's got too much wish fulfillment in taking down OCP. I haven't seen the film since I was 11, and maybe the badness got in the way, but it just felt...dishonest.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

echronorian posted:

It reminded me of Darth Vader bellowing noooooooooo. It didn't work for me as his whole transition felt so fast. A lack of weight, like I said earlier. For the record I like remakes just fine, especially when you can't tell they're remakes. Like Scarface, The Talented Mr. Ripley, John Carpenters The Thing, Reservoir Dogs, True Lies, etc even shameless rip offs like Fistful of Dollars bring their own value to the narrative. To each their own but this was borderline unwatchable.

We're experiencing his transition as he does. Which is to say almost immediately, because he's been a coma for three months.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

I agree completely that it's a horrific scene - and certainly something done better in this film than the original - but it also raises interesting implications. Like, say if I were to be stricken with locked in syndrome, or suffer a broken neck, I'm pretty certain I'd take any kind of euthansia option I could as soon as possible. But if a solution like this was an alternative - horrendous as it is when it's revealed - it's surely something to consider, if not outright embrace. It's not our bodies that define us but our minds and as long as they are given the means to express themselves then everything's cool, right?

This is exactly, I think, why my wife was not disturbed by that scene like I was. I was really unnerved and felt just like Murphy, but my wife is a big fan of Ghost in the Shell, hates her body (both for genetic reasons and because she suffered severe injuries as a child) and has honestly wanted a full body prosthetic since forever. If she were in Murphy's...uh, shoes wouldn't be the right word, but if she were him, she would practically be cheering.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

whatever7 posted:

They realized they didn't have a bad guy half way through the movie so they promoted the military trainer to the main bad guy.

Also, when Robocop and batman shot each other in the end, the guard was just chilling there for 10 seconds afterward. So bad.

No, I entirely believed that the military trainer would want to be there. He'd been against Murphy's creation from the start.

Also, someone upthread made a salient point about the guard earlier: He was acting as if he were programmed, but he did so from conditioning rather than wires in his head. He acted on his boss's orders without hesitation or consideration of the consequences, and then when his boss was dead, he didn't really have anything else to do. How far that flies with you, I don't know.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think there's an underlying policy of not calling things what they are throughout the film, actually. At the beginning you have guys who are obviously martyring themselves, but they are only seen and labeled as terrorists so they become fuel for the pro-drone fire. They make a point during Murphy's demonstration for Sellars and company that he's not a person anymore when he fights, but a robot that thinks he's a person, which lets them skirt the law. It's like, for the bad guys, coming out and saying exactly what something is is dangerous, so they dance around it just enough. When Sellars gets explicit at the end of the film, that is when he gets shot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I don't think if we get a sequel we're going to be able to go the same places the previous movies did. I mean, OCP isn't really happy with Murphy as a product, because among other things he's too good at solving high level crimes and uncovering corruption, Dennet on his behalf embarrassed them in front of a Senate committee at the end of the film and he shot their CEO and OCP in this set-up doesn't seem the kind of company you can lay low in a shootout and then have bought out by the Japanese.

I can see Dennet's work in prosthetics getting explored more, possibly in making some people more superhuman, perhaps even competitive with Murphy's abilities, while preserving much more of their humanity in the process, challenging what his transformation has cost him physically. They could also have people who volunteer to get "Robocopped" because the guy's a celebrity; does OCP have any competitors who might make an Android alternative to OCP's iPhone? And if they want to continue exploring what life is like with his family, what if his wife wants to have another kid, or a husband who can share her bed again? Would Murphy ask Lewis to step in as sort of his surrogate?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A sequel would be funny for more fan-boy critics wailing and gnashing their teeth, rejecting the film wholesale without actually trying to think about anything the movie has to say or how it says it.

Not talking about this thread, by the way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, well, I've never thought suicide bombings were ever effective, but some people disagree, or they wouldn't happen. These guys at least didn't want to kill anyone--they just wanted to send their message, which of course was ignored.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Personally it seemed to me like it was a desperate attempt to show the news that being under constant drone supervision is maddening and drives them to publicly kill themselves.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, Dennet is clearly a very empathetic man, and it's why he does the work he does. When he's taking shortcuts to make Murphy a better machine quickly, you can tell it hurts him, but he's trying to do the best he can in the name of the big picture, which is more budget and better projects to better help more amputees, which is his passion. At the end of the film, when he said "I want full funding, no questions asked", I thought he'd finally been bought.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Gatts posted:

From Box Office Mojo,

I wonder how much of this comes from "NOT MY ROBOCOP!", how much is people shying away because of bad reviews, how much is because LEGO movie is really, really good and is taking all the money, and how much is just Dredd style lack of interest.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The emotions loving things up and being how he pulls the trigger at the end also tie into the theme that trying to simplify and reduce people down into clockwork routines will not work long term, which would tie in with the introduction in Iran and how they do routine sweeps to keep the population in check. Reminds me of the episode of Star Trek's original series where they visit the planet that lets a computer fight all their wars and then march off to die; by breaking the machine, they make the war real for the first time in ages, and by forcing them to face the worse they hope the war might actually end. The film's commentary on drones, and by extension, other forms of impersonal long distance warfare and international suppression, would suggest that such efforts are ultimately futile and possibly worse than fighting regular war.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A man was shot to death in an OCP boardroom and no one so much as lost their job. You're trying way too hard to hate on the new movie when the first was just as silly, just differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Seriously, where do you even get the "waxes mustache evilly" thing? Did you watch another movie by mistake?

• Locked thread