Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah that line was pretty great. But the rest of the trailer still seemed overly serious.

The original is completely serious, or at least played completely straight, that's what makes it work so well as a parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's an alternate universe where Weller is a massive star.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hockles posted:

In that universe, can I take a history class taught by Kurtwood Smith?

No, he's too busy as the Lord of the United States of Mexico.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Posters done in that stark style are usually desaturated or grey.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well yeah, but behind the scenes features for good movies are usually interesting to watch. Not that everyone has to be smiling, but it just seems like something fun/exciting to watch should be shown, especially because this was an 8 minute video and the movie took a hell of a lot longer than that to shoot, so this should be like a highlights reel. But it showed a number of different scenes and none of them looked particularly exciting. If all the behind the scenes stuff is gonna look boring, why even release it at all?

Now that you mention it, Dangerous Days was pretty loving dour too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Young Freud posted:

"Nasciemento, we were not entirely forthcoming about Captain Matias. We have the technology to make him stronger, faster, better."

Yes. Yes.

No poo poo. Brazil was so impressed that they tried to get the Academy Awards to accept it for the Best Foreign Film nomination.

The first film ain't that bad either. In a way, you really have to watch both films because, on their own, they tell different stories, but together, they play off the themes of the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWn-uWEas9s&t=83s
(turn on the CC for subtitles)

I'd say it's a bit like the relationship between the 1st and 3rd seasons of the Wire, where the second film zooms out, and you realise that what you've seen is just the tip of a larger ice berg. The first film's fine, if narrowly focused, but the second really does enhance it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It departs from the original in plenty of ways, but every departure felt like an actual decision someone made for a real reason. Yes, it is is sterile and bloodless much of the time, because Robocop himself (itself?) is a sterile, bloodless corporate creation (just like the way we cut away from the violence in Tehran). We know, from watching the news, just how horrific tasers are, but hey, they're non-lethal and bloodless. Detroit didn't feel like a besieged city like it did in the original, because Robocop isn't supposed to be a proportional response, he's a PR move to expedite a larger agenda. The shootout immediately before the blackout gunfight was a departure that illustrates this. The most similar scene in the original (Sal's warehouse) was a dramatic, crowning moment. In this, he zips in, kills everyone (well, pacifies) and is gone before the music theme even has time to start. He's the iPhone of cyborg killing machines. It's a bad scene from a dramatic storytelling perspective, but it feels like it's making a point by being that way.
That said, the blackout gunfight was loving fantastic. I love how it cut several times to a non-augmented view, lit only by muzzle flashes and Robocop's eyes. It's a post-human gunfight. We, as unaugmented, unequipped humans, can't see anything. We can only understand the scene through the eyes of Robocop or the night vision goggles of the goons. We are being left behind by the technology of the film.
To me, it feels like both directors, both non-American, understand the American self image. The difference is that while Verhoven fetishised it (or at least made it a cool thing that is awesome: Robojesus, the country's greatest president) Padilha sees it as something terrifying. That's why there's that shot of the young Iranian women looking at the drones. That's our non action movie perspective. There's a level on which Robocop is actually tearing through Padilha's other movies. When he goes from a warehouse full of goons to the police chief in ten minutes of screen time, he's solving the entire plot of Elite Squad 2 in the blink of an eye (seriously, go watch Elite Squad 2)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I was thinking that, especially the shot at the end of that where he seems to be thinking "what now?"

The end of Elite Squad 2 or Robocop?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The end of the part where he clears out the warehouse.

Ah, gotcha. It felt like he wouldn't have stopped. He'd have found a connection while talking to the chief, and gone after that. Padilha made it clearer that, no matter how scary you think Robocop is in a gunfight, he's a shitload scarier leading an investigation.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It does make all those movies from the 80s where the cops are outmanned and outgunned kind of funny in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

People have opinions, and people disagree. Ain't no swayin 'em. And that's OK too.

But I seriously wish NewRoboCop wasn't so boring. They should not have made it an action movie at all, and made a straight up political thriller with an actually hosed up crime ridden Detroit. NewCop's Detroit was so boring and without any character. It seemed like the safest city in the world.

I felt like Detroit not seeming too bad was actually kind of the point. Robocop, and the associated drone invasion, is completely unnecessary.

• Locked thread