Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

Whatever. So loving pick Alien, Terminator, Predator or any other example.

Yeah, we already saw what happened when they started making PG-13 Terminator films - they became rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Command Ant posted:

A lot of you have already articulated most of my feelings towards this already, so I'm just going to point out that the music in this doesn't sound like it's even trying. The Basil Poledouris track was a large part of what made the original such a great film. If this trailer is any indication (and why the hell wouldn't it be), the remake's soundtrack is going to be bland, generic, and uninspired.

Trailer tend to use temp music since the score isn't always finished until late in the process.

Though that is the big thing that puts me off the film, how generic everything about it looks. The original Robocop is a really kind of strange film in a lot of ways, and there really wasn't anything like it at the time it came out. Whereas this version looks exactly like everything else.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sasquatch! posted:

The difference between these two pictures shows a pretty stark stylistic difference. I also noticed RoboCop2014 doing some pretty graceful leaps and jumps, versus the CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK walking of the original RoboCop. That and - of course - the fact that he seems (based on the trailer) aware of everything.

Robocop being a big clunky beater was directly reflective of American car design of the time - see also the fact that it was set in Detroit.

Given how all cars are sleek and smooth and kind of all look the same, that update makes perfect sense.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dickeye posted:

Can we knock it off with this bullshit "Well the movie is OBVIOUSLY not going to do this because it wasn't in the sixty seconds of trailer" garbage? For gently caress's sake, people.

What else are we supposed to base our expectations on other than what the studio is giving us at the moment?

The film looks rubbish. Maybe it won't be, but there's not a lot to suggest that right now. I'm having serious déjà vu for the last remake of a Verhoeven film, where most people who said it looked a dull as gently caress movie content to hit a few fan service notes from the original were then chided by those who consider themselves above such things for not waiting and paying to know for sure that it was.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

Could we all stop doing this "Ugh it's not like the original, that makes it automatically bad" poo poo? Please?

Yeah, it's probably going to be bad for other reasons altogether.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MS4sLlBvbE

You know what, you're right. When I watch ED-209 in the original film, I am convinced that there is a real 18 inch tall animatronic model right there in front of me

colonel_korn posted:

Or when Dick Jones falls out the window, it's a very convincing depiction of a falling man whose arms have somehow doubled in length.

But you can tell they're actual physical things even if they look goofy as gently caress, which was the point being made.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Yes, someone decided to give this thing weight and thought about it, and it's so much better than CGI because someone figured out a way to make freakishly long arms work in real life

It just looks to me like they composited two shots from lenses with very distinctly different amounts of distortion. It's a poorly done effect, I don't know why you need to be so obtuse to pretend not to realise the point was that regardless of how well they're done, practical and CG effects feel completely different in the type of unreality they carry.

It's just and excuse to position yourself contrary to Nerds, right?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It might be worth noting that Empire magazine is actually Really poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

There's actually only one screenwriter for this movie- Joshua Zeturner. Which I think goes a long way to explaining why there's such an unusual amount of narrative cohesion here for a studio film. It makes sense when you consider the franchise. Robocop's a big name, sure, but how exactly do you design it by committee when the appeal of the original is so difficult to discreetly quantify? A lot of it's just in how the concept sounds really cheesy.

Just because there's only one name on the script, doesn't mean there's only one writer.

• Locked thread