Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

That's because that's a fair way to describe him in a world where drones are public knowledge. It doesn't mean that they'll handle the accompanying commentary well. My point with bringing up The Avengers was that a movie can have those elements, and a remake of RoboCop will have those elements by default. I mean, they'd have to do really badly to not have any kind of subtext in a remake of RoboCop, but the trailers makes it look like it's going to be The Avengers kind of subtext and not the Verhoeven kind of subtext.

The trailer comes right out and says the public face of law enforcement will be an emotionless robot that only thinks it's human. I'm pretty sure that's Verhoeven level of subtext, if not quite so cheesily 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
And Gary Oldman's character got on a plane to Shenzhen, China that afternoon. That's one of the single most famous stories ever passed around about Steve Jobs and the iPhone launch.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

That's actually a Tim Cook story

Google around for the iPhone plastic screen Steve Jobs story, it's beat for beat the same story.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

penismightier posted:

I really liked this movie, and I knew I was gonna from the moment Robocop breaks out of the iPod factory in rural China.

Wait, holy poo poo, really? gently caress me, now I gotta watch it in the theater. I've been letting too many movies slide.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Tell LeJackal that Lex Luthor made the film. Or wait, was that 2 or 3 gimmicks ago?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I kind of appreciate the ultimate villain being just a kind of banal kind of corporate evil who treats the ex-person as the owned property that he is, an inconvenient bit of PR that's an obstacle to the further strategic goals of his company, to be disposed of as necessary, and the legal catch is that it's still attempted murder. What he does and has others do through the course of the movie is every bit as gross and ethically messy and wrong as Bob Jones/Old Man/etc. from the original, the movie very well makes the point that it's just the kind of mundane sociopathic corporate screwup that we shrug at nowadays.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 19, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think there's plenty of red meat in this movie that's pretty interesting and thought-provoking, it's just that the movie never really just stops at any one point and puts your nose in it and rubs it all up and down and around like the original does. It's really full of satire and dark humor and little clever touches.

Just because the villain isn't some completely mustache-twirling cackling caricature of ganglords and corporate raiders doesn't make their evil any less profound.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

LeJackal posted:

Its too bad that such a notion is like a fine cut of kobe beef, which the movie chars to a hockey-puck consistency and then drenches in ketchup.

Which movie are we talking about? The original villains were bad guys, but they were far from cartoon caricatures doing it for the EVULZ or tins of mustache wax. In fact, the relative banality of their evil made them more real and more impactful; Boddicker and Dick Jones was motivated by pride and ambition - one to be Vice Lord and the other CEO. Its just that they put the well-being of everyone else beneath their own desires, which is the root of most tragic real-world disasters.

Compared to the paper-thin and frankly apathetic attempts to create antagonists in this 'remake', Jones, Boddicker, Morton, and even the sleazy lawyer are masterpieces of character building.

Was anyone else disappointed that Lewis was re-cast as Generic Black Sidekick? I really enjoyed the subversion in the original with Lewis being a woman.

A reminder that the original basically opens with a plan from on high to actually have an ideal candidate killed to make Robocop. That's a cartoon caricature.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

The actress for Kim was Latina, but I think her character is supposed to be Korean

Aimee Garcia as Jae Kim.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

trucutru posted:

If I were a heavily armed robot and someone came at me brandishing a knife I would not give a poo poo. What is he gonna do? Stab me?

I mean, the robot could at least try to just incapacitate knife dude.

Much like with the increased (para)militarization of human police, when a hammer's all you got, every perp starts looking like a nail.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I watched the new Robocop again and I think I picked out one of the main reasons why I like it so much--like Watchmen, it plays heavily with viewer cognitive dissonance. Multiple conflicting ideas are depicted simultaneously, each presented on the surface--as given and accepted as good, then you had to figure out which side you (or the movie) actually stood on.

As a kind of result of that, the original movie was more obvious in its satire, but the new one is no less savage or biting. The old one does it and asks you to join in on the laughter, the new one does it and asks you to participate.

^^^ There was a director's cut? What did they toss in there?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 4, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Spaceman Future! posted:

No one can Verhoeven like Verhoeven Verhoevened. It would have been useless to try, plus that kind of over the top gore only really works with practical effects and tends to look absolutely awful with CGI. Just watched this remake for the first time and... eh? Its better than that horribad Total Recall reboot, but that's mainly because Robocop spent like a decade making GBS threads all over itself in its fade to obscurity, Its hard not to break that mold. I have a harder time giving something like this a pass when Judge Dredd covered a ton of the same ground and was a better Robocop than Robocop could ever be. I guess that's my opinion, why watch this when you could watch the new Dredd instead?

Something something Dredd isn't about consumer culture but violence in consumer media. Only thing both movies do is they both spend part of their time doing takedowns on our hosed-up priorities in justice and law.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 27, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The joke is you think the names of the villains are actually relevant. The villain is you.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Wild T posted:

Pretty much. The biggest joke in the remake is that Robocop himself is ultimately useless and just exists solely to make the public feel good. I didn't think it was truly a critique of drones at all. It seemed like more a critique of police forces that have become increasingly militarized, faceless and invulnerable while having next to zero net gain in actual crime prevention.

The biggest joke in the remake is that OCP really are the good guys. They and their fellow corporate robber barons already did 99% of the work in making Detroit a safe and vibrant city again by simply relocating to it. Evidence includes you can't sustain the kind of infrastructure the Omni Foundation and its network of medical and computer and rehabilitation research and other facilities without Detroit being literally Silicon Valley 3.0.

So when RoboCop kills Sellers and they hold hearings and OCP stock crashes... THEY are the bad guys.

Cognitive dissonance much?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The_Rob posted:

That is exactly the same message as Dredd.

You're confusing Dredd the movie with Dredd the subversive comic. In the comics he shoots jaywalkers. In the movie he fights a gang of drug dealers armed with military grade heavy weapons and who start a turf war by skinning a bunch of enforcers and dropping them off a skyscraper balcony.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The_Rob posted:

Except the whole film shows how Judges has caused how lovely their whole world is, and you even get the speech from the villain about how even if you kill him or arrest him or anything it doesn't matter because all you are doing is participating in a system that is just a giant meat grinder. So him dying is just as normal as anything else in that society. Not to mention that like in the comic, you don't ever see Dredds face because he is the faceless militarized police force where they can only prevent in their words 6 percent of crime. The movie is pretty subversive.

Nah, it's actually completely inverse of the comic Dredd.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Oh yes, it's examined more than enough. The movie draws a line from one to the other all the while showing how the humanity behind the trigger is successively and successfully neutralized just like it is in real life with real soldiers/cops.

It's really deft what Sellars sells--the human in the machine is the trojan horse, then he takes the human away: putting the shining knight in silver in tactical black, getting Robocop reprogrammed to run combat from the computer and just pretend to the brain that it's in control (as an aside: read Blindsight), then when having a human in the machine, even that becomes inconvenient, take away all emotions and family contact entirely and just leave a full robot in its place.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 4, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I could well buy that as the actual goal but the gaps between here and there are so vast that it's far more likely to become a bigger moneypit with no escape than the F35. Hence why Robocop is more cautionary science fiction, even if the opening occupation scene is pretty much describing the middle passage of that op-ed.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Elite posted:

The only time the film shows a difference between a human pulling the trigger and a drone pulling the trigger is during the hostage situation in the Robocop and EM-208 side-by-side VR simulation. Throughout the rest of the movie Robocop fights under machine autopilot and doesn't encounter a single problem or dilemma - they put a military killing machine out on the streets and it operates perfectly. No innocents killed, no bystanders caught in the crossfire, no targets misidentified, no collateral damage.

The question "What would a drone FEEL if it killed an innocent?" is never answered because the machines in this movie are perfect. They never harm an innocent, even when innocents jump into the middle of a gun battle to protect their 'guilty' friends.

And most of the human soldiers Robocop encounters act like drones themselves (no hesitation, blindly following orders) which I feel undermines the whole distinction. Why is the human element so vital to the ethical application of lethal force if the humans who dispense lethal force have already abandoned their humanity?

The question is irrelevant. That's the joke Robocop 2014 plays: the "good" outcome is that we marry the surveillance state to regular law enforcement and then run it through the US military. Which is supposedly what we have abroad, except we make it more efficient and bring it home.

The closing images are picked for a reason: we see Robocop reassembled at the head of a column of ED209s, while stamped with the Detroit PD badge, behind numerous thick plate gates guarded by armed soldiers.

We don't need a Robocop 2014 sequel, because we can expect that the outside streets are an exact duplicate (just moved northwards) of what we saw at the beginning of the film.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
May peace be upon you.

gonna repost a couple things I said way the hell upthread:

api call girl posted:

I watched the new Robocop again and I think I picked out one of the main reasons why I like it so much--like Watchmen, it plays heavily with viewer cognitive dissonance. Multiple conflicting ideas are depicted simultaneously, each presented on the surface--as given and accepted as good, then you had to figure out which side you (or the movie) actually stood on.

As a kind of result of that, the original movie was more obvious in its satire, but the new one is no less savage or biting. The old one does it and asks you to join in on the laughter, the new one does it and asks you to participate.

api call girl posted:

The biggest joke in the remake is that OCP really are the good guys. They and their fellow corporate robber barons already did 99% of the work in making Detroit a safe and vibrant city again by simply relocating to it. Evidence includes you can't sustain the kind of infrastructure the Omni Foundation and its network of medical and computer and rehabilitation research and other facilities without Detroit being literally Silicon Valley 3.0.

So when RoboCop kills Sellers and they hold hearings and OCP stock crashes... THEY are the bad guys.

Cognitive dissonance much?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 5, 2014

• Locked thread