Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

LeJackal posted:

Every single reference or callback in Total Recall actively inhibited any enjoyment of an already lackluster film because it kept reminding me that those ideas have been done before and better. It was impossible to enjoy the movie because it kept reminding me of its mediocrity.

It was a little like the Karate Kid in that sense: it just repeated the major story beats from the original and never did anything creative. Either out of fear of pissing off fans of the original or out of respect/homage to the original (either way, both films felt empty as a result). Watching both Karate Kid and Total Recall made me think "why don't I just watch the original instead of its story skeleton?". Then when I did I realized the splashes of creativity and unique artistic styles are why everyone remembered those films (I was surprised at how deep and complex Total Recall really was, rewatching it).

It'll be the same with RoboCop, I think. The ultraviolence and cheesy dialogue and manic characters will not be in the remake and the film will feel empty as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread