Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pneub posted:

Also technically monsters kinda blow late-game. I'm not even 100% sure you could beat some of the final bosses with just monsters if you let the enemy rank get too high.

There's a few underlying mechanics that make them usable in endgame situations. Unfortunately, there's really only a handful of forms that are halfway usable (and stable - monster stability is the big endgame hurdle, you want a monster that won't change from its uber-powerful form into a Slime) so despite the fact that monsters start out recruited in a wide variety of forms, you're going to end up finishing the game with a swarm of one or two monster types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

There's a few underlying mechanics that make them usable in endgame situations. Unfortunately, there's really only a handful of forms that are halfway usable (and stable - monster stability is the big endgame hurdle, you want a monster that won't change from its uber-powerful form into a Slime) so despite the fact that monsters start out recruited in a wide variety of forms, you're going to end up finishing the game with a swarm of one or two monster types.

Speaking of that, I hope Dude goes to show the one form that never shows up in the normal game, except in that one final fight I've tried to make it multiple times, but just got sick and tired of trying to get the necessary skills.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

There's also a few skills that make monsters entirely viable on their own. MagicHeal is probably the best example thanks to being a healing move that gets priority.

But yeah, for the most part monsters are pretty lame near the end of the game, with a few exceptions. I mostly aim for either a BlackDragon or Mariche, the cherub-looking thing from Riki's final battle. Both have among the best monster stats in the game, the former has a surprisingly small movelist that allows for a lot of customization, and the latter's movelist isn't shabby either.

A few people also swear by Dullahans, but while they're strong as hell, their move lists are incredibly unstable and consist of a lot of hard-to-learn moves, so it's usually more of a pain than it's worth to get one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Found this a little late, but I'm caught up now. I'm really enjoying this thread even if I can't stand the SaGa games. My first experience with Romancing SaGa was to pick Lute, wander around a bit and get wiped out at the Bio Lab and go "That sucked, I'll try someone else." I then picked Red, really enjoyed his scenario, and ended up getting wiped at some dungeon later down the road and said "Yep done with this game."

Years later a friend of mine gave me his copy of Unlimited SaGa and I played that for all of about 30 minutes and fondly remember it as the worst.

So yeah while I have no desire to play a SaGa game again, looking at what I missed out on is a lot of fun, and it's interesting to see how unfinished the game is and how the mechanics work.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The one monster form both spoiler tags hint at is actually one of maybe four forms total that are good for endgame monsters, and is by far the most stable as long as you have its requisite moves. BlackDragon isn't bad if you don't mind occasionally reverting to a TrisaurJr until you can figure out how to reverse the process, CrystalTrees are pretty drat stable and pretty drat sturdy, but an utter bitch to get the proper moves for, and Dullahans are nice and strong strong but unstable as hell.

Monster forms in SaGa Frontier are possibly even more infuriating than they were in the first two SaGa/Final Fantasy Legend games.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Great LP so far! I've never beaten all of the scenarios in Saga Frontier, despite owning it since release. When I was younger I loved the game to death as it was my first foray into non-linear RPG's. I knew something really loving special/weird was happening with this game and it made me love it, even if I had no idea what to do half the time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My solution was always "when in doubt, do the Rune Magic quest". This wasn't actually very helpful, but did get me quite a bit more gameplay out of this. I think I only beat it with T260G and Blue, then gave up.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Gameplay Update Realm and Mind Magic
A quick note about these spells is that unlike the first two sets of spells, these are not opposed and thus you can have both schools on the same character. The reason I'm splitting these up is that the next update magic will feature all of the schools unique to mystics so it made more sense to split them up this way.

Realm
While any character can obtain the basic Realm spells, only Blue and Rouge can have the gift and they have it innately. Realm magic is opposite Mystic Magic.

Energy Chain(1 JP): Probably the best of the basic 1 JP attack spells. Very little resists it and once you hit a certain Intelligence threshold the animation changes so that the chain wraps around the enemy, and it can inflict Palsy in addition to the damage.

Psycho Armor(2 JP): Boosts Psychic and Vitality by a fair amount. A good thing to use at the beginning of long battles, but I find that most mages don't want to dedicated a slot to it after the beginning.

Gate(0 JP): Unique to Blue and Rouge. It's technically not a spell you can use, but you can equip it early on for a free spell to go towards spell mastery.

Implosion(3 JP): Deals moderate damage along with a very solid chance to instantly kill an enemy. It combos well and the instant death chance is very good at taking out tough enemies. One of the best lower level spells around.

Advanced Spells
Psychic Prison(7 JP): Creates a prison around the enemy which will block one of their spells from going off and cause it to "rebound" back on them for light damage. This is extremely situational, but when you need it, it can absolutely shut some bosses down. Not a bad spell to have around if you know that the enemy might cast some spells.

Vermillion Sand(8 JP): Deals fairly heavy damage to all enemies. It's cheaper and weaker than MegaWindBlast, but it is unblockable which is handy against enemies with shields. The biggest advantage of this spell is that it makes Shadow Magic more viable for Blue and Rouge because it fills the need for a big damage spell that MegaWindBlast would usually fill.

Mind Magic
Mind Magic is opposite Zozma's Evil Magic. Aside from that, only Humans can acquire the gift and Blue and Rouge cannot gain the gift in most cases.

Mind Heal(2 JP): Greatly heals users HP and removes status effects. A fantastic spell, it's one of the best spells to toss on all your human characters to use in a pinch. It's cheap enough that you can typically get enough uses to last a decently long fight with just the initial 10 JP you get from buying your first spell. If you've got the cash, there's really no reason not to get it for your entire first team.

Evaporate(2 JP): Makes the user invisible. This effect wears off when the user takes an offensive action. Practically identical to Hide Rune.

Spellbound(2 JP): Attempts to inflict Palsy on the enemy. This is a pretty meh spell. As you can see, Energy Chain above can also inflict Palsy in addition to being cheaper and actually dealing damage. Spellbound is more accurate with the Palsy though so it could be useful for locking down an enemy while your human characters try to learn techs from them.

Advanced Spells
Life Wave (2 JP): Deals moderate damage by impaling the enemy a spear made from the user's spirit. Aside from being pretty metal, Life Wave has probably one of the best damage/JP ratios in the game. It's cheap enough to be spammed and can be a great offensive option when you want a little extra oomph without blowing a bunch of resources.

Awakening(2 JP): Hugely raises the user's stats for a few turns. During this period JP and WP costs for skills are doubled.

Summary: It's kind of a shame that the Realm gift is exclusive to Blue and Rouge. It would really open up the options for other characters as spellcasters (Mystics probably don't care too much about losing Mystic magic.) That being said, Blue and Rouge are probably the best two spell casters in the game so it's not a huge loss, and they appreciate having it. Mind Magic on the other hand is THE magic school for characters who wouldn't normally use magic. The gift is easy to get, and their spells are cheap and mesh well with physical skills. In particular, Gunners love having Mind Magic because their skills are normally so cheap so they can use Awakening without worrying too much about WP (seriously Trick Shot costs like 2 WP). Swordsman and Fighters don't mind it either if they find themselves with more WP with they know what to do with, although DSC user's probably don't want to blow 34 WP a turn. Overall, two solid schools if a bit limited in their distribution.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

That is a weirdly aggressive name for such a chill song.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Thinky Whale posted:

That is a weirdly aggressive name for such a chill song.
It's not only used in Nelson. As you may imagine, it is actually used inside a arena which pits mechs against eachother. The place is sort of a seedy bar type of area so it kind of fits.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hey y'all. Today we're going to finish up the arcane quest as well as show off a couple odds and ends in Blue's tale.

First of all we have to head to Baccarat to get the Gold card.

:sparkles:Oh yes we accept all major credit cards.
You can ask the bunny girls about the card although most of them don't seem to know to much about it.

There's a familiar face! I also really like most of the dialogue in the Gold Quest. The credit card mixup was clever, and I like how the gnome just saunters on by while Emelia is pondering their existence.

After we initially see the gnome we have to follow him around for a couple floors. You can actually catch up with him, but can't interact with him in any meaningful way.

Eventually though he takes one of the elevators. To continue the chase we need to also take one down to the parking level.

As we head down to the sewers Emelia will rush in and ask to join us.

Good Lord Blue there's no reason to be a jerk.

So down we go into the sewers.

We also pick up a pretty nice skill for Engineer Car here. Shooting Mastery boosts the damage of all Laser and Gun type weapons.

We get even luckier and in a later battle he picks up PluralSlash. PluralSlash is one of the better damaging abilities for mechs and shoots his damage from worst on the team to about even with Mei Ling.

So once again we have made our way to the Gnome's hideout.

They have some interesting things to say if we talk to them.

This is the one we have to talk to to get the card though.

:signings:That is, unless your money's made of gold...then, we'll take it. Aahhh, gold! And LOTS of it too!!

So as the Gnome mentioned they don't care about credits, but rather Gold Ingots. For them to give you the card you must have at least 4 ingots in your inventory. However, they'll take all of the ingots in your inventory so don't do this quest if you're in the middle of the money making trick.

And with that we receive the gift for Arcane Magic. Now we could go straight into Blue's endgame sequence, but I want to show off a couple more things first.

First of all we head into Mu's tomb for the Victory Rune.

Nothing too exciting happens here. So we'll just skip right to the end.

So remember how close the fight against this guy was with Emelia's team? Yeah, that won't be the case here.

We actually have some buffs we can put up in the first turn. This here is the item cast buff from the Lordstar weapon. It greatly increases Strength.

So first turn Mei-Ling, Thunder, Blue, and Engineer Car smash him with a Bound Shot-Plural Slash-Silf-Dark Sphere combo.

And then they do it again in the second turn and kill him. He does a grand total of 89 damage to our team. He's really not prepared to handle an endgame level team.

So after grabbing the Victory Rune we head back to Koorong and then head out to Tanzer.

I understand. Everyone's got their own problems. The rune is in the slime Pool.
Things progress as normal until we talk to Fei-On here where Blue's jerkishness means that he won't join us.

So you know what? I decided that jerks don't deserve the Vitality Rune and I region map out of there. Blue's scenario is the only one where you can skip Tanzer in this way and it locks you out of the Vitality Rune as well as the Rune gift for good. It's also used in speed run's and discuss that a bit more at the end of Blue's Scenario

But anyway, that's enough for now. Next time we will fight the Lord of either time or Space and we'll be set for our final duel of destiny with Rouge.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Are all the scenarios supposed to be happening at the same time or is there a set order of events?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
There's a vague order. Emelia's is generally considered one of the first to wrap up, and Lute's is the last. They all overlap though. In game it doesn't really affect anything aside from some shared events.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
A few clearly start or end before or after the others, but I get the sense they were all supposed to otherwise be contemporaneous.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Oh man, PluralSlash! That Mec skill was like my favourite out of the bunch due to how you can somehow combo it into a ton of other skills-- including itself. That skill was one of reasons how I am able to breeze through T260's scenario.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I just love how you're basically the evil twin. Rouge is so nice and helpful to just about everybody, where Blue is just using everyone for what he wants. Also he's a dick.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alkarl posted:

I just love how you're basically the evil twin. Rouge is so nice and helpful to just about everybody, where Blue is just using everyone for what he wants. Also he's a dick.

It had honestly never occurred to me when I first played this game in the Playstation era, considering it ended up in the same days as Squall, Cloud, and the parodies of them - I had always taken it as him just being that same kind of edgy, don't-touch-me jerk that CAME out of Squaresoft RPGs. Looking back at it, though, Blue really is the evil twin out of the duo.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Are you gonna show off both final magic routes with Blue? Because speaking of evil twin-ness...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think its mentioned in Essence, but I wonder if the reason for their difference is a plan to see which would serve their plans better; nature, vs. nurture?

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

It had honestly never occurred to me when I first played this game in the Playstation era, considering it ended up in the same days as Squall, Cloud, and the parodies of them - I had always taken it as him just being that same kind of edgy, don't-touch-me jerk that CAME out of Squaresoft RPGs. Looking back at it, though, Blue really is the evil twin out of the duo.
I was even conditioned to assume the opposite based on their names alone (Blue = Good, Red = Evil), since I played Blue's storyline first and didn't interact with Rouge as anyone else. Once I got around to playing all the other storylines, it got really, really awkward whenever Blue was around.

My memory is failing on this one, though: is it possible to recruit Blue in anyone else's storyline, or is he such a douche that he refuses to join any of the other heroes if/when they encounter him?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Blue and Red are the only ones that absolutely won't join anyone else under any circumstances.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KataraniSword posted:

Squall was angsty because I'M AN ORPHAN, UNNGH PEOPLE CAN ONLY TRUST THEMSELVES OR THEY WILL GET HURT UUUUHHHGGGGGNNNNHHHHHHH

Blue is just a dick.

code:
She looks a little stupid.
  >I know, right
   What a dumb bitch

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Archaotic posted:

My memory is failing on this one, though: is it possible to recruit Blue in anyone else's storyline, or is he such a douche that he refuses to join any of the other heroes if/when they encounter him?

Only one other character actually encounters him in their storyline, and he tells them to gently caress right off in basically no time at all. So no, Blue is entirely unrecruitable outside of his own scenario. It's not that big of a loss, since Rouge is pretty much identical for obvious reasons.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh poo poo, I wish I knew this was running. Once upon a time, I did awful, :spergin: things with this game, and helped data mine/write up poo poo like the sparking tables and cut stuff with what little english SaGa community existed back then. I still love this game, and it's great seeing a new LP start up with all the hilariously obscure poo poo we tried to piece together just accepted as a fact of the game. :allears:

As for this part of the game, Blue's quest is probably my second favorite, with Emilia's being just behind Blue's. Riki/T260G's can go gently caress themselves, though. I'll wait for the monster/mec writeups to go off on that little tangent. Keep up the good work dude.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Only one other character actually encounters him in their storyline, and he tells them to gently caress right off in basically no time at all.
I thought that was the case. And his reason for doing that is, at least, consistent with his characterization in his own storyline.

So I guess "Blue Is a Dick" is the only universal constant in the SaGa Frontier universe.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Gameplay Update: Mystic Specific Magic
In this update we're going to cover the spells whose gifts can only be acquired by Mystics, that is to say Mystic, Evil, and Mirage Magic. The gift for Mystic Magic is given to all Mystics whereas, Evil and Mirage magic are unique to Zozma, and Rei who we'll meet in the next update.

Mystic
Mystic Magic is opposed to Realm magic which shouldn't be a big deal because you can't get the gift for both. Humans can actually buy Mystic Magic, but it's a bit of a pain.
Phantasm Shot(3 JP): Randomly summons one of five beasts to attack. Each beast has a chance to inflict a status effect in addition to dealing damage. The effects are Black Cat inflicts Mess, Nightmare inflicts Sleep, Jackal inflicts Poison, Cockatrice inflicts Petrification, and Reaper inflicts instant death.

Glass Shield(5 JP): Creates a Shield in front of the caster which will block one attack. If the attack is a close range attack it will counter with a Broken Glass attack which deals moderate damage. Some attacks ignore the shield.

Fascination(1 JP): Tries to inflict Charm. This can have a decent chance of working if your Charm stat outclasses the enemy, but even then Charm is one of those status effects that's more dangerous in the enemies hands than your own.

Advanced Spells
Mirror Shade(7 JP): Creates multiple illusions of the caster similar to the Magician spell. Unlike the Magician spell the illusions will not counter with a powerful instant death effect when hit making this a purely defensive spell.

Evil Magic
Evil magic is opposed to Mind magic which again isn't a big deal because Zozma can't get the gift for mind magic anyway. There are no advanced spells.

Rava Shot(1 JP): Basic 1 JP attack spell.

Pain Doubler(1 JP): Deals damage equal to damage enemy has taken so far. Caps out at 666 damage. This would be a lot better if you could get Zozma earlier in the quest or if the cap was way higher. As such it is largely useless. 666 damage is really too low to be effective.

Death Curse(4 JP): Attempts to inflict instant death on one enemy, if it fails takes 1 JP from Zozma. Safer than the arcane version because you can only loose 1 LP each attempt, but the accuracy is still way to low for this to be worthwhile. Stick with Dead End, Implosion, or even Mystic Weapons for your ID needs.

Sharp Pain(1 JP): Attempts to stun all enemies at the start of the round. Easily the best spell in the set. It's highly accurate and allows Zozma to cripple most random encounters.

Mirage Magic
Mirage magic is basically just a set of spells that allows you to duplicate the effects of Phantasm Shot while removing the random elements. It's also the best way to see the effects of JP cost in the damage formula as all the spells have constant power, but varying JP costs and you can see the damage difference. Since they're all the same, I'm just going to list the spell names and JP costs.

Black Cat 1 JP
Nightmare 2 JP
Jackal 4 JP
Cockatrice 6 JP
Grim Reaper7 JP

Summary: Evil Magic is the winner of these spell schools based solely on how great Sharp Pain is. Seriously, it just shuts fights down. The other two schools aren't bad to have but they're not really great either, and Mystics always struggle with making the most out of their limited spell slots.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Actually, there are technically advanced Evil Magic spells, which is entirely the reason that Zozma doesn't have the gift for the magic despite being the only one in the entire game that can use it! :eng101:

While one of the spells in the game data is obviously a dummied-out monster skill (Possession, a skill used by Living Weapons and Living Armors), the other two are perfectly valid and even learnable, if you hack the Evil Magic gift onto a character! It's obvious they weren't intended to be used by the time the game printed, though, as they both cost 1 JP each, as opposed to proper amounts.

The two spells are MagiDefense (a multi-target attack spell that deals higher damage to enemies with a higher PSY stat) and RavaBarrire (an enemy skill that buffs defense and follows up with a multi-target attack). Whether or not they were intended to be used at some point is uncertain, but they're tucked away in a normally-inaccessible corner of the game now, so. :shrug:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Actually, I do believe those spells ARE in the game... as enemy-only spells. It's been quite a while since I last played Saga Frontier, but if memory serves, there's at least one boss in Red's chapter that uses RavaBarrier. Can't remember anything using MagiDefense off the top of my head though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Actually, I do believe those spells ARE in the game... as enemy-only spells. It's been quite a while since I last played Saga Frontier, but if memory serves, there's at least one boss in Red's chapter that uses RavaBarrier. Can't remember anything using MagiDefense off the top of my head though.

Yeah, RavaBarrire (I doublechecked - that's how it's actually spelled :pseudo:) is used by a boss in Red's chapter and probably a few other things. The weird part is that it actually costs 1JP - most of the explicitly dummied-out stuff costs 0JP, and can't actually be picked up by the gift for the magic, in the same way that the Possession entry in Evil Magic's table works.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Bufuman posted:

Liches can use MagiDefense. I was getting Mind Magic and it used it to one shot Lute.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back today we're going to be getting the final gift for Blue's quest before our final duel with Rouge.

First of all we go back to Devin to learn a little more about the final two gifts for time and space magic.

:v:Just escaped from the stomach of a beast? I don't think you'll find any more runes. Give it up.
These two guys will give you a bit more guidance on where to find the Runes and Tarot cards. He also mentions that because we left Tanzer we've screwed ourselves out of the Rune quest.

If you head right from the center of town you'll reach this temple with rabite statues for some reason.

There are also quite a few stairs

This here is Rei she knows more about the Time and Space gifts.

:nyd:Of the many types of magic, Time Magic and Space Magic are especially potent. Perhaps you've heard of them? (Ask about Space Magic) Controlling Space at will is pretty powerful too. To obtain this magic, you must go to the remotest part of space.
:How can I get there?
:nyd:There is a creature called Kylin who creates its own magic space, calling it paradise. It's a very strange place. Well, you'll see when you get there.

Theme of Kylin

And with that we're teleported to Kylin's space. It's a very odd place filled with children who have supposedly been orphaned or lost.

Now I realize that coming to do Space Magic instead of Time has probably caused some of you who've played through this game before to die and start rolling in your graves, but keep in mind we will be missing out on that spell for all of one battle.

So Kylin there is that horse thing and he teleports us to a candy maze before we can get the gift.

The backgrounds here are kind of busy but the doors are always those candycane arches with purple ribbons.

Every so often you'll reach these closed off rooms that really clash with the rest of the area.

There's a key here that I accidentally picked up before getting the screenshot.

It's used for this lock door which once we walk through it...

Plops us upside down on the underside of the bridge.

We eventually reach this pot.

When we interact with it we're shrunk down so we can enter the tiny doors. It's very "Alice in Wonderland"

Kylin has odd taste in wallpaper.

Later on we reach this switch which opens up a door so we can enter the teacup seen below.

Which then leads us here to the exit of the maze.

So before we talk to Kylin we want to make sure we have Psychic Prison equipped.

:ranbowdash:It will be yours, if you beat me!

:siren:Battle 4:siren:

So now we're up against Kylin. He's got some brutal multitarget attacks so we'll want to try and lock that down.

The first thing to do is have Blue repeatedly cast Psychic Prison. At first I thought you just needed to cast it once until it activates, but I was gravely mistaken.

This ends up being my undoing as Kylin busts out Reverse Gravity unimpeded. Reverse Gravity is the crown jewel of Space Magic. It's not as strong as Vermillion Sand, but it's cheaper and can also stun enemies.

Engineer car actually survives it, but a few turns later and Sacred Song takes him out. Sacred Song is not blocked by Psychic Prison so even with it up you want to end this fight quickly.

The second attempt goes much better. Here's Psychic Prison in action by the way.

Mei Ling and Engineer Car are doing the bulk of the damage here. Mei Ling pumps out about 2500 with Bound Shot, and Engineer Car about 3500 with Plural Slash. This is from a combo of the two of them. Silence and Thunder can also combo for about 2000.

A few rounds of 10000+ damage though and he goes down.

And now we have the gift for Space Magic and all of the accompanying spells. With that we'll end the update here because this is already getting a bit long. Tune in next time when we will face off with Rouge!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
"Well, later kids, no hard feelings. Sorry Princess Rei."

I see you picked the jerk route for Blue.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hokuto posted:

Thats every route

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hokuto posted:

I could've swore Mei-Ling had dialogue here calling you out for murdering a My Little Pony and dooming an entire orphanage to die.

This is really the point where Blue's quest actually gets any original content, since anyone can go through the Time/Space AREAS after they get the gift for Rune and/or Arcane and Light and/or Shadow magic? But Blue's the only one to fight the two characters with the "gift" to earn it himself. Naturally, this means that all we miss from the other side is a slight exploit and a boss battle - one that's a fair bit trickier than "apply PsychicPrison liberally, scream in anguish whenever SacredSong happens".

SacredSong is sound-based and multi-target. This means Harmonium gear blocks it, but it also means that if you don't have Harmonium gear, it will wreck your poo poo, especially with Kylin's stats.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Thus far, Sacred Song is either directly or indirectly responsible for a disproportionate amount of the game overs incurred in this playthrough. The Sacred death count is currently at 3. 1st was Emelia opening the Ettin chest in Mu's Tomb, second was Thunder getting charmed in the Swamp, and 3rd was in this fight, although here it didn't really murderize the party as much as it just finished us off.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

KataraniSword posted:

SacredSong is sound-based and multi-target. This means Harmonium gear blocks it, but it also means that if you don't have Harmonium gear, it will wreck your poo poo, especially with Kylin's stats.

Honestly I tried both fights and ultimately went with the other path for exactly that reason. While the other fight is probably harder in a vacuum, in practice it the relative lack of MT damage makes it a lot easier to play it a few times until the RNG goes your way, and a few bad rolls won't end the fight. A Sacred Song is basically the end for you meanwhile.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Aw... I was looking forward to the music from the Time Lord's Realm.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Aw... I was looking forward to the music from the Time Lord's Realm.

I wouldn't be surprised if dude789 is saving Time Lord for Asellus' quest for thematic reasons, really.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Time Lord is also one among the MANY reasons that Riki's questline is a loving nightmare for inexperienced players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dark Onion posted:

Time Lord is also one among the MANY reasons that Riki's questline is a loving nightmare for inexperienced players.

Oh god, I'd blocked that out. Here I was remembering the Lava Slimes as the worst part, and now I remember Time Lord. Oh god, Time Lord.

• Locked thread