Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm sure you meant to type groin cannon, but the image of a grain cannon is just so magical. (I mean, I've heard of silos exploding...)

No, the game spells it grain cannon. I have no idea what in the gently caress either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Bufuman posted:

No, the game spells it grain cannon. I have no idea what in the gently caress either.

It's probably a mistranslation of particle cannon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ardryn posted:

It's probably a mistranslation of particle cannon.

I think we'd need to see the actual translation to see if it uses 粒子 or something different. (Even so, the "grain" referred to by that word is more like a grain of sand than like wheat. This translation always confused me as a kid...)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
粒 can be defined as "grain" so it's extremely likely to be what Adryn said.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Maybe it's just a cannon that happens to be powered by potent grain alcohol, have you considered that? It's all Futurama up in here.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hi all! Today we're going to be going to HQ. But first we have to run a quick errand.

Let me know when you're ready. Remember you can only get there from this port.
As the good Dr. Leonard mentioned, we can only get to HQ from the Manhattan airport. We'll come back here once we finish up some things in Koorong.

Our destination is in the upper Koorong backstreets heading towards the crystal caves. We're going back to that mech that sells the smuggled Trinity goods.

:psylon:Doctor!? You became a mec?
A lot has happened since we last met. (Leonard explained to the mec.)
:psylon:Doctor please take me with you.
What should we do (come with us).
:psylon:I'll give you a souvenir.

He's a hard working mec.

Meet PzkwV. If you bring Leonard here after the events in the Trinity mines you can pick him up. He's adequate but not great because he has 4 locked slots. The weapons he has there are decent but that's still one more slot that could be used for some better. Also once you pick him up you can't buy from his shop which can be a bit of a dealbreaker (although the free Heat Bazooka is nice.) He specializes in Laser and other heavy weaponry so we equip him to maximize those strengths.

He's kind of goofy looking in battle, but he also comes with Shooting Mastery so he does well enough.

:cop:THE Dr. Leonard himself?
Yes, you're welcome to confirm it.
:cop:Dr. Leonard...Where would you like to go?
Please, look up my travel schedule.
:cop: Yes sir. Your ship will be ready in a moment.

:Think they'll let us in?

This is one of the wierder things in T260G's story. You go through all this effort snooping around and finding secret space coordinates. Then Leonard just schedules a flight there like it's not big thing, and the pilots immediately know where to go.

HQ seems complex with a lot of branching pathways, but it's really pretty simple. Each room has 1 room which leads to the next room to progress and 1-2 rooms with a piece of treasure and 2 mech enemies. If you want treasure just head back if you find a new branch and go in all the other rooms.

I think the mec encounters might all be against Mec Dobby 1000s (the yellow guy) because he showed up in every battle, but it's also possible that's just where out encounter rank was for the entire dungeon.

If you do the junk shop glitch or Takonomics most of this stuff will probably be obsolete, but if not it can really help to buff up your mechs and humans alike.

Just wanted to show off a bit more of what the area looks like. Saga Frontier usually does a pretty good job of nailing the visuals for high tech areas.

There really is a ton of stuff here. Some of the other items include a Laser Scope, Heat Bazooka, Excel Shield, Flame Thrower, Hyper Blaster, and Harmonium Armor.

I just wanted to show off these Mirror Enemies because they're extremely rare. I don't think they show up outside of specific encounters which is why I think the Mec Dobby 1000s are also scripted. Saga Frontier loves to hide enemies that don't show up anywhere else in certain dungeons.

As others have discussed in the thread, this was probably meant to be translated as Particle Cannon. Personally I think it's funnier to imagine that it's a cannon that fires out a bunch of grits or something. Now our mechs can harness the true power of grits like a true southern chef.

This beauty will be very interesting towards the end of the next update. Unfortunately for now...

Alas.

We pick up some skills against the various mec enemies. All the Mec Dobbies pretty much ensures that we get Evasion Rocket on everyone and Zeke learns a skill unique to him that deals a load of damage but takes away 1 life point. Zeke has the lowest LP of all the mechs, but it's still higher than any of the other races at 15 so he can use it once in a while.

Pretty solid especially once we get Combat Mastery.

And of course as if to spite me, Zeke immediately picks up Shooting Mastery instead.

Eventually we make it to this dome which reminds me of that thing at the end of the second X-Men movie.

Must enter system, destroy virus and restart program. Wait while I complete task.
:Can I help?
It's possible. Just like I did. But, if something goes wrong while you're in the system, you won't be able to get back in your own body.
:I can't let you go alone. I promised those kids I'd take care of you. Let's go together.
Understood. Starting task. Task completed. (Let's go)

They've created an interface which appears friendly to humans and monsters.

Well that's convenient. It's a pretty ugly if you ask me, but I guess I have no room to talk since I've never created a virtual reality interface. Anyway, next time we're going to wander about inside the machine and see whats up with that damaged data.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Dude, please, you forgot the most important part about HQ.

The music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeR9hdBTKpU

HQ itself isn't bad, I think. It's got a bunch of decent encounters and it's pretty much there solely to buff a completely mech-centric team even further. The database, though...

Ugh. I still have nightmares about that area.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I'm pretty sure it's a boosted rank area. I recall fighting the highest rank mecs (SkyLabs) from those mec sprites.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That database looks like a three year old's imaginary playground built out of wooden blocks.

Also I think that just magically being able to fly to the secret base isn't the weirdest thing this game has, or even this scenario. I still remember Uncle Octopus Mr.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Dumb question, I apologize if this has been answered already but... are all these regions on the same planet? This is something I've always been confused about, since between needing space ships to get between regions and the abstract background whenever you're in transit, I've never been sure if each region is a separate planet/world, or if they're all taking place on the same world or what.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm about 80% certain it's all the same world, but the regions themselves are more or less totally self-contained islands or nations or what have you that require special transports to get around to. Think like space colonies in a Gundam show. Each one is more or less part of the same general system, but you don't just take the bus to get to the next colony over.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Actually, the bus might be an apt comparison, given that region-hopping is almost entirely free, barring opportunists like the Scrap taxi lady. Come to think of it, how do the region ships afford things like fuel, repairs, and in certain ships that we'll see later, first class services?

For now I'm just going with the default assumption of, "Funded by an evil organization (likely Trinity) that profits from people traveling the regions. Somehow."

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Minus the evil organization part, it probably is Trinity. They seem to be the closest thing to a governing world body in this game, and any organization or corporation that backs the regional transportation ships has gotta make a ton of business. It's free for us because we're the players, but most people probably do have to pay some kind of ticket price to ride, and likely don't have to go all over the world five or six times over because they're trying to find runes or cards.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, it's the same system, more or less, but isolated... I dunno if I'd call it planets or colonies? Either way, that stuff between each region has unpleasant poo poo lurking in it (Tanzer) so even if it was theoretically possible you wouldn't want to walk between the regions. You might as well consider it the unforgiving vacuum of space.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

Dumb question, I apologize if this has been answered already but... are all these regions on the same planet? This is something I've always been confused about, since between needing space ships to get between regions and the abstract background whenever you're in transit, I've never been sure if each region is a separate planet/world, or if they're all taking place on the same world or what.

It's a place called the Region World. There's a swirly mass of stuff called chaos, and all the various regions float around inside of it. The region ships (and Tanzer) are the only things capable of safely navigating the chaos.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So basically, envision Jupiter, except put a bunch of cities and poo poo inside it via magic.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Hokuto posted:

It's a place called the Region World. There's a swirly mass of stuff called chaos, and all the various regions float around inside of it. The region ships (and Tanzer) are the only things capable of safely navigating the chaos.

KataraniSword posted:

So basically, envision Jupiter, except put a bunch of cities and poo poo inside it via magic.

That makes a surprising amount of sense and is awesome.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. I was not expecting a bizarre cyberspace dungeon, but I suppose it fits the Mec chapter better than anywhere else.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It reminds me of the recreation of ACDC Town on the Net in Megaman Battle Network 5.

Let's hope the villain for this scenario isn't :moreevil:

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Just found this thread. Pre-rendered backgrounds make my heart skip a beat, and the vague memory of owning this game way back when brings back memories of what I think were square's more inventive days. I love squaresoft.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

tradechop posted:

Just found this thread. Pre-rendered backgrounds make my heart skip a beat, and the vague memory of owning this game way back when brings back memories of what I think were square's more inventive days. I love squaresoft.

It made me find my original disk

I had no idea that this game was so easily breakable and it brings back good memories

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! Today we've gone inside the machine and are going to finally get all the details on T260G's mission.

We can wander around the virtual town and all these holes represent the damaged data. Naturally we will have to do something to fix this.

Throughout the towns you'll see these bugs chomping down on the data. We're going to eliminate them.

When you bump into one of the bugs you get in a fight with 3-5 Virus enemies. They're not too bad.

When you beat them you have an almost guaranteed chance to download the Virus skill from them. When you equip a mec with the virus skill and a secret board they can use the Logic Bomb skill which when used by a fast mec like Zeke can completely shut down oposing mec enemies.

Certain objects like the phone and mirror here serve as teleportation mechanisms. Also when you beat some viruses it repairs the path they were eating which can lead to new areas.

For the most part the viruses are pretty harmless although they can steal LP form your mecs.

Also we picked up Intercept System from one of the enemies in HQ. It's a neat skill that evades and counters close range physical hits.

Eventually you'll find your way over to this area with a whole bunch of viruses.

This initiates a fight against a bunch of viruses with slightly more health. That thing in the back is the core of the system.

This fight is a lot like the fight against the slimes in Tanzer. You need to clear out the viruses and then have T260G use the touch command on the core.

Once you touch the core the battle ends and all of the viruses vanish.

The water effect is kind of interesting I suppose. We want to head over to the left to find a church like structure.

Once you enter the church you have to solve a few puzzles. Here you have to light up all the panels by walking on them but walking on one that is turned on will turn it off.

Like so, but here I messed up because you have to end up on the green. It's no big deal though.

This one is more complicated. You have to turn all of the panels green by stepping on one and pressing the circle button. However it will also swap all of the adjacent panels to green. Of course the switches will also swap back if activated again.

You have to do it once on the lower panels and then for some reason they make you do it again on the upper set of panels. Also the blue and red panels are identical. The color difference is cosmetic only.

It takes some doing, but we get it done. Now all we have to do is head through the door to reach the core.

Hey Leonard, how did you become human again?
The appearance of this place is all fake. You can take any form or shape.
A system password is required.

Serial Number ID7074-8782-1099
:siren:Confirmed ID Number Welcome home 7074-8782-1099. Thank you for destroying the virus. Some damaged data remains, but it can be fixed.
:Hey do you remember anything?
Top priority: Destruction of RB3 model. All other missions: Cancelled.
:siren:Checking status of remaining machines. During shutdown, many machines were discarded. One Omega model remains. RB3 model will begin execution of the destruction program upon detecting HQ's presence. Swift completetion of the mission anticipated. Good luck.
:We came back!?

Once you get out of the virtual reality world T260G immediately shouts this and zips off. It's pretty funny. The next few pieces of dialogue are done bit by bit over a few screens on the way out.

Hey wait!! What exactly is an RB3 model?

Initial models were destructible by conventional means. Third model's self protection mechanism was vastly improved. T260 was created to combat RB3's self protection program.
:A powerful weapon that will destroy all regions?
Upon detecting hostile action...

Now before you leave you want to be sure to stop by this.

This is the Omega body that the core mentioned and it is insanely good.

You can either change right here or wait until you get to Nakajima Robotics. It has really balanced initial stats. The MegaBeamSword is also nice because it's about as strong as a Zero Sword. The V System is the real gem here though. We'll show it off in the next update.

Oh yes.

It will advance here after detecting the restarting of HQ's program.
Then we should destroy this place!

The mec enemeis are still around, but they won't attack you.

It may have tremendous mobility like a ship. To approach it, we need a ship.
Then what?
I will access RB3's motherboard and destroy it.
You make it sound so easy.

Let me know when you're ready. Remember you can get there only from this port.

And now we're about ready for T260G's end game! Our own mecs are practically walking fortresses so I think we should be able to take it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I was always confused by this part. Is the game pretty much admitting that RB3 would have left everybody alone if T260G didn't stumble in HQ on his mission of self-discovery? Great going hero.

And the Omega body is great, but I read somewhere that the original body you get from T260G has more equipment slots so done correctly, it can end up being the most dangerous form you get.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shitenshi posted:

I was always confused by this part. Is the game pretty much admitting that RB3 would have left everybody alone if T260G didn't stumble in HQ on his mission of self-discovery? Great going hero.

If anything got that far. I imagine T260G isn't the only thing tasked with finding RB3.

Or if a glitch happened.

But sure, we can just put hyperspace Dead Hand out of sight and mind.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Shitenshi posted:

And the Omega body is great, but I read somewhere that the original body you get from T260G has more equipment slots so done correctly, it can end up being the most dangerous form you get.

This is certainly true, but it requires a bit of ability farming, plus equipment tweaking to give it enough ability slots and stats. Omega body is easier to work with, and certainly deadly in its own right. V-System yessssssssssss.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Shitenshi posted:

I think the idea is that we activated RB3, but it would have activated on it's own eventually or someone else would have stumbled upon it and tried to activate it. Also, the original body does have more equipment slots, but the forced equipment the Omega body has is still pretty solid and V System more than makes up for the fewer free slots.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Basically, anything the Tako body can do, Omega form will do it that much better because of V-System. It's a versatility-versus-power debate, but ultimately you're going to want the power if you're underleveled or grossly overlevelled, so it's kind of a wash at the "appropriate" level for taking on the endgame.

That versatility in general makes the basic form decidedly better than any of the other non-Omega forms, however, and generally makes T260 the best mech to put in parties where he's not the main character, too.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 7, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Either works, but the omega body is much cooler. I suppose you could go through more effort for marginally better but much less flashy results, but why bother? The endgame here isn't terribly difficult.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
You need to show off Omega Form's "running" animation somewhere (a .gif?).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

It's a sentient doomsday device. Though the reactivation of it's arch enemy is an immediate escalation DEFCON1, anything else could do it just as bad, and completely blindside everyone. I'm sure Trinity dicking around with the Cosmic Cube, whoever runs the Bio-lab, or some of the other final bosses would have eventually have set it off sooner or later.

Also, though it is somewhat easy to guess, Essence confirms "RB3" is short for Region Buster 3. As T260G says, it's basically the Death Star without the thermal exhaust port. For all the stupid things the Empire did, at least it only took them one revision to figure out "don't make your death machine with a glaring weakpoint." Whoever made RB3 took 2 tries.

Still, they're better at it than Dr. Wily, or the Gradius aliens (And probably SaGa's Gradius too).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

On the other hand, that glaring weak point is nice to have in case of machines turning against their masters.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Bio-lab is a Trinity project.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

On the other hand, that glaring weak point is nice to have in case of machines turning against their masters.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Bio-lab is a Trinity project.

I don't know if whoever made RB3 thought that idea through. Since it's default setting is murder everyone. There is no, "Nuke everything but Devin" line of code in the DOOM macro or script.

And yeah, the lab is probably Trinity, but I don't think even Essence says it. It could be one other cartoonishly supervillainous group that we've yet to see.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Who even decides that "indiscriminately murder everyone" is a good thing to program something to do? I mean, even as far as doomsday plans go, that's poor. Granted, I have a hard time deciphering any JRPG villain's motivations. The only one that's made sense to me is Boktai's. The vampire villain is actually an ecologist, the undead don't use up the world's resources like the living do.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Good to know I wasn't losing out on skipping the original form in favor of Omega then. And it was probably because I haven't done G's quest since I was 11, but I'm really excited to see V-System.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shitenshi posted:

Good to know I wasn't losing out on skipping the original form in favor of Omega then. And it was probably because I haven't done G's quest since I was 11, but I'm really excited to see V-System.

Even if you were, the original form, Omega form, and Form 7 are the only forms that are exclusive to T260. Form 7 is unimpressive, and the original model you can get any time you can recruit T260 onto a team. The Omega form is not only unique, but endgame-specific for T260's quest. It seems wasteful to not play around with it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Pneub posted:

You need to show off Omega Form's "running" animation somewhere (a .gif?).

Don't worry. I got a whole bunch of gifs in my last screenshot capture session for T260G's quest.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Great LP of a great game. Tons of effort in this!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dareon posted:

Who even decides that "indiscriminately murder everyone" is a good thing to program something to do? I mean, even as far as doomsday plans go, that's poor. Granted, I have a hard time deciphering any JRPG villain's motivations. The only one that's made sense to me is Boktai's. The vampire villain is actually an ecologist, the undead don't use up the world's resources like the living do.

The concise answer is a course on the Cold War at a local college.

Dead Hand was a very specific reference I made; it's the western name for Perimeter, an automated Soviet system designed to nuke the gently caress out of everything in the event that the Soviet Union got knocked off the world by (presumably) NATO bombardment.

No one knows if it is still operational. :tinfoil:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The concise answer is a course on the Cold War at a local college.

Dead Hand was a very specific reference I made; it's the western name for Perimeter, an automated Soviet system designed to nuke the gently caress out of everything in the event that the Soviet Union got knocked off the world by (presumably) NATO bombardment.

No one knows if it is still operational. :tinfoil:

MAD is a perfectly valid (albeit insane) deterrent. But I don't think Dead Hand, or the US equivalent pre-aimed nukes on their allies and own country. In RB3's case, unless whoever made it lives beyond regions, it's murder-suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FeyerbrandX posted:

MAD is a perfectly valid (albeit insane) deterrent. But I don't think Dead Hand, or the US equivalent pre-aimed nukes on their allies and own country. In RB3's case, unless whoever made it lives beyond regions, it's murder-suicide.

I think the difference, in the case of Dead Hand, is that it's designed to go off IF Russia gets wiped or what have you. It's less suicidal then since in normal circumstances the country's got nothing left to lose.

Not so in RB3's case, I guess.

• Locked thread