Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tallgeese posted:

Basically depends on which characters they used.

After a little digging, looks like it's katakana. メイレン.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, Mei-Ling and Fei-On were paired up explicitly because they had Chinese names. So her name does mean something in Chinese.

It's just impossible to tell if the developers meant Meiren as in "beautiful woman", or as in "no humanity", since we don't know which Chinese characters they were looking at. It could be one, none, or both.

It's nifty that it turned out the way it did though.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 29, 2014

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

Derek Barona posted:

gently caress you, Riki. gently caress you and good loving night. Let's get Asellus going so we can get some good gameplay going.

I'm kind of glad that the thread chose to get this clusterfuck out of the way, this way we have a palette cleanser in the form of the two better scenarios of the game. Good riddance to you and your shitstain scenario Riki :byewhore:

Now! Onto the scenario with kickass music and the most fleshed out story of the lot. Can't wait!

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
You forgot the sneaky 'gently caress You' they hide in Margmel! You see, when Mei-Ling's all "Heyo boss fight incoming!" your natural reaction is to save. And with PSX memory card limits, you're probably only running one or two saves per character. You can't leave Margmel, and the only fight there is Master Ring.

AKA, you'd better have a backup save! And if you don't know about Mei-Ling double crossing you, why wouldn't you save there? (Besides quick save, of course. Quick save was a wonderful thing, except when the power went out! :argh:)

And now onto one of the Best Quests. :allears: With an actual storyline even.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, half an actual storyline. It's also the path with the most cut content of anything in the game not named Fuse.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I had forgotten the eye-searing green text on the endplate. That's almost enough to qualify as an RQHY itself.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Oh, and here's a hilarious little touch of logic, when you stop and think back on it. The rings granted the wish of restoring Margmel but without the Lummoxes, right? And that one little fucktard suggested we all move out of the region, right?

So we could theoretically get away with moving everyone out, summoning Shenlong to restore the region, and then move right the gently caress back in like nothing ever happened. :livintrope::livintrope::livintrope:

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Derek Barona posted:

Oh, and here's a hilarious little touch of logic, when you stop and think back on it. The rings granted the wish of restoring Margmel but without the Lummoxes, right? And that one little fucktard suggested we all move out of the region, right?

So we could theoretically get away with moving everyone out, summoning Shenlong to restore the region, and then move right the gently caress back in like nothing ever happened. :livintrope::livintrope::livintrope:

Nah that would not make the player loss time and be insulted by the quest, i bet you if they wrote it like that they would pull anothe RQHY like "oh it doesn't matter how far they go, they get erased still because RQHY"

gently caress this quest, it never needed to be told and it took Fuse quest place for no good reason.

loving hell i don't remember the sequel having a bit where it hates you so much and so utterly. Riki's quest piss me off!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

The rings are a monkey's paw kinda wish-granting thing, you don't really go looking for loopholes. To illustrate, it turns out the rings were involved in one of the stories the OP already did, remember hell in Blue's scenario and its spiffy presentation? Someone used the rings to wish for heaven but instead they got hell with a paint job instead. Deciding not to use the actively malicious wish-granting thingamajigs isn't the stupid thing here.

Everything else is.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

a cartoon duck posted:

The rings are a monkey's paw kinda wish-granting thing, you don't really go looking for loopholes. To illustrate, it turns out the rings were involved in one of the stories the OP already did, remember hell in Blue's scenario and its spiffy presentation? Someone used the rings to wish for heaven but instead they got hell with a paint job instead. Deciding not to use the actively malicious wish-granting thingamajigs isn't the stupid thing here.

Everything else is.

Wait, what? There's evidence linking the two?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The artbook/guide thingy to the game, because nothing is ever in the actual game itself in SaGa Frontier.

Even if that wasn't the case though, the whole possessing Meiling, feeding off of human greed and trying to wipe out an intelligent sentient species thing should tip you off that using the rings is a bad idea.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

a cartoon duck posted:

The artbook/guide thingy to the game, because nothing is ever in the actual game itself in SaGa Frontier.

If you could find the page where that's listed, I'd really be interested in verifying it. I have the book sitting on a shelf here, and I love uncovering more random gems from this game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I wouldn't know, sorry. I just know it from a summary of the thing that was made on GameFAQs ages ago.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Wasn't someone giving details about each characters' bits in the book after each quest early on in this thread? Who was that and where the gently caress is he/she?

EDIT: Oh, it was dude himself. Get back on that, man! :allears:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Bufuman posted:

Wasn't someone giving details about each characters' bits in the book after each quest early on in this thread? Who was that and where the gently caress is he/she?

EDIT: Oh, it was dude himself. Get back on that, man! :allears:

I only remember one particular gem with Riki's story from the Fuse investigation log, but I'll let him cover that.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

dude789 posted:

And the game sends us off with a hideously garish font truly worthy of Riki's quest. Good Riddance.

This screen alone almost deserves another RQHY point all by itself. Goodness, it's terrible! Even worse is that they slap you in the face with this at the very end of the sequence, so it's the last thing you see.

Honestly, though, the remaining stories are so darn good, Margmel/Marg-Mel/Marmel will soon be at best a bad memory and at worst completely forgotten.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Riki's Quest makes me wonder if one of the devs at Squaresoft has a hate-boner for Tolkien, as the plot is basically "The Lord of the Rings, but Darker and Edgier" (the hardest boss fight is even called "Ring Lord"!).

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
And this is the scenario I played first because I thought Riki was cute. :suicide: At least I didn't know about the characters and magics I was missing out on from the other scenarios.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sramaker posted:

loving hell i don't remember the sequel having a bit where it hates you so much and so utterly.

We mentioned the one player-controlled "does THIS CHARACTER die or does NOBODY die" choice.

Actually, all of Frontier 2's dick moves seem to involve the death of party members, very typically by never giving any warning that a character is going to die and very typically killing them off on their second or third (or, in one case, very first) appearance. Hope you know in advance to not equip that brand new party member you just got!

Oh, and also South Moundtop. gently caress South Moundtop.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

KataraniSword posted:

We mentioned the one player-controlled "does THIS CHARACTER die or does NOBODY die" choice.

Actually, all of Frontier 2's dick moves seem to involve the death of party members, very typically by never giving any warning that a character is going to die and very typically killing them off on their second or third (or, in one case, very first) appearance. Hope you know in advance to not equip that brand new party member you just got!

Fun fact: An infinite HP code does not make South Moundtop easier.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I never beat that game just because of South Moundtop.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Hope you know in advance to not equip that brand new party member you just got!

It isn't that bad (the equip thing, south moudtop is) since almost every town has a person to strip stuff off characters not in the active party (alive or dead).
Still, south moundtop isn't half as horrible as Riki's quest. Hard, sure, sinking 10 minutes in before you know you've lost? Definitely. Riki-bad? Nah.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FeyerbrandX posted:

It isn't that bad (the equip thing, south moudtop is) since almost every town has a person to strip stuff off characters not in the active party (alive or dead).

There is at least one character that this does not work for due to... special circumstances of their removal from your party, to avoid spoilers. There is no indication this will be the case, and I actually lost several apparently drat good Quells because of that.

I might be biased because of that particular character. And that particular scenario.

(EDIT: In hindsight, they give said character the exact same sprite they give the generic mooks in war battles, so if I'd realized that I probably could have predicted he was a redshirt. Didn't help me when I was actually playing the game for the first time.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 29, 2014

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
My brother saved and loaded often, it makes a lot of things less worse that and multiple save files.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not going to defend any part of the execution of Riki's quest, but I do at least like the premise. Searching for the mystical artifacts that turn out to be a monkey's paw is an interesting plot outline. It's just that the quest execution kind of just hates the player repeatedly.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I'll defend the Virgil fight, that one's actually pretty fun to figure out (as long as Riki isn't your first playthrough).

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

By the way, 5 Energy Chains is a valid combo, but so is 5 SwallowSwings. Too bad Riki can't use SwallowSwing, huh? (Izzat an almost-RHQY or can you sub in a second team on the second turn? I almost never bother with multiple teams, really.)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Raitzeno posted:

By the way, 5 Energy Chains is a valid combo, but so is 5 SwallowSwings. Too bad Riki can't use SwallowSwing, huh? (Izzat an almost-RHQY or can you sub in a second team on the second turn? I almost never bother with multiple teams, really.)

You can't. Most important fights will force in the first team.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Riki and the Essence of Saga Frontier

The Essence shuffles the sequence of events around quite a bit. It takes a while for Fuse to bump into Riki, but before they even meet, Fuse sees the effects of the events in Riki's storyline. The first is that he runs into the rich father and daughter from Yorkland while investigating Sei's Tomb. It's implied that Riki and Mei Ling run them out of town by extortioning money from them after they healed his daughter. When Fuse finds them they are destitute and living off the land. Fuse then meets Sei in the tomb who almost kills him but Fuse utters the name of Sei's lover or something right before he is Kusanagied so Sei decides that Fuse is too noble to be a tomb robber. Sei and Fuse go out drinking in Koorong and get along pretty well until Gen drunkenly picks a fight with Sei and Sei counters with Minion Strike which gets them all kicked out.

A bit later Fuse gets stabbed by Annie so Fuse heads over to Dr. Nusakan to get healed. Sei and Fuse part ways here when Nusakan hires Sei to help him scare customers who visit him. It's not until much later that Fuse finally meets Riki and Mei Ling when his ship gets swallowed by Tanzer. Personality wise, Riki is about the same, but Mei-Ling is a bit of a nut. Her mood changes very quickly and harshly and she seems to be obsessed with discipline. She also tends to discipline Riki by pinning him down with extremely accurate gun fire.

Fei-on shows up soon after and immediately gets in a fight with Fuse after delivering a kick that was sharp enough to tear through Fuse's leather jacket. Things look like they're about to go poorly for Fuse until Mei-Ling interrupts the fight by kicking Fei-on in the face and "disciplining" him with gun fire. Both Fuse and Mei-Ling make fun of Fei-on's hairstyle which Fei-on believed would help speed up his training in Kyo (this is where he was going when his ship was eaten by Tanzer). However, it turns out that this was just a joke that Fuse and Roufas made up when they were going through the mind magic training. This results in an argument that starts a scene in the town in Tanzer, but one of Nomad's henchmen runs in asking for help because Nomad got eaten by Tanzer's heart.

Riki, Mei-Ling, Fuse, and Fei-on fight Tanzer until Nomad gets completely digested while coughing up the Thief Ring. Having gotten what they came for, they decide to leave Nomad while knowing that someone that evil wouldn't be completely digested. Also, they've done enough damage that Tanzer spits them out.

The four separate until Nusakan shows up at IRPO asking for Fuse's help for the Virgil fight. They use an extremely lame combo, but it gets the job done (Hide Behind four times + Chop). As thanks Virgil introduces Fuse to Time Lord. The group separates again so Riki can attempt to save Margmel. It fails of course, and Fuse gets a transmission from Nusakan who asks if Fuse would be willing to temporarily adopt a Lummox until he can find a new home for it. Fuse is hesitant at first, but Nusakan is able to convince him by showing him a picture of how cute the non-Riki lummoxes are. After seeing it, he decides that it should be really easy to find someone willing to take one in.

What ends up happening is that Nusakan sends the elder lummox to stay with Fuse who is of course much less adorable than the others. The elder sleeps on Fuse's favorite couch and annoys Fuse by keeping him up at night with his sleeptalking.

In the final fight, Riki's team is one of the first to show up. Mei-Ling attacks with gun fire, Fei-on using Last Shot, and Riki attacks again with Chop, creating a crack in Great Mondo's visor. Nusakan also heals Fuse with his mystic wear.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Wow, Riki's quest hates everyone else in-universe, too.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I didn't think it was possible, but honestly, Riki's presence in Essence sounds even freaking lamer than Lute's.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

dude789 posted:

Sei and Fuse go out drinking in Koorong and get along pretty well until Gen drunkenly picks a fight with Sei and Sei counters with Minion Strike which gets them all kicked out.

A space cop, a lich king and a samurai walk into a bar...

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I'm really kind of bewildered that Essence decided to be so incredibly specific about what moves each character ends up using in these official write-ups.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Wait, so even Essence hates Riki and replaces him with Fuse as the main character? What a gently caress up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

dude789 posted:

A bit later Fuse gets stabbed by Annie

Annie is now one of my favorite characters in the game. :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dude789 posted:

Sei and Fuse part ways here when Nusakan hires Sei to help him scare customers who visit him.

How many skeletons does he need cackling at people in the waiting room?

God, RQHY +1 for Essence.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

MartianAgitator posted:

Wait, so even Essence hates Riki and replaces him with Fuse as the main character? What a gently caress up.

Remember that Fuse has an entire quest that got cut.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Riki's quest is just the sad little story of a dude getting jerked around by everyone. I wonder if Mei-Ling was actually secretly making arrangements with everyone to get the rings to us.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
There's been some interest in SaGa Frontier 2 in this thread, so I thought I'd give notice: the Saga Frontier 2 thread is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Thanks, Einhander. I'll add the link to the OP. Also sorry for the delay, but I have the next update here for y'all.

Today we're going to be beginning Asellus's story.

Trick

Asellus's story revolves around the region of Facinaturu, where most of the mystics live. We were here briefly before, but in Asellus's story you get to find out a lot more about it.

We begin in what seems to be a dress shop along with a girl who doesn't look much like Asellus.

This here is Gina. She's not a playable character, but she serves as a narrator for the scenario, and keeps us up to date with what's going on in Facinaturu once we leave.

Facinaturu is composed of two major areas. Rootville is the small area that we've seen so far and is composed of humans, monsters, and lower class mystics.

Gina wasn't kidding about it being dark either. There's no electricity here and very little if any sunlight. Most of the region is lit up by the crystals that you see around the town.

Chateau Aiguille is where all the upper class mystics live and apparently they aren't too kind to the people who live in Rootville.

Which makes it kind of funny that if you come here with any other character the game uses the generic happy town music.

But back to Gina, it looks like her dreams of some fairy tale romance are what sustains her.

Now we get our first view of Chateau Aigulle. It seems to be carved out of a giant tree or something. Either way it seems very Tim Burton-esque.

And here we have our hero.

What a nightmare that was! Where am I? My shirt's torn...

My job is to report when you're awake.
Report? To who, my aunt?
You are still not aware of what really happened, huh? You're in Facinaturu. This region is ruled b Orlouge.

gone...I gotta calm down. OK, I was on an errand for my aunt to Dr. Okonogi's house. Then, on the way back...I got ran over by a carriage. Wait, why would there be a carriage in this day and age? Man, I must still be confused. What's wrong with me? Well, first I've got to find out where I am. Maybe I'm still dreaming.

So now that we've met that mysterious and rather rude mystic we get to control Asellus.

Asellus's starting stats are...not good. Aside from Emelia she's the weakest starting character and she starts with almost nothing.

Are...all of these?
I really like the design of Chateau Aigulle. It really captures the beauty that upper class mystics are always going for while still being pretty creepy.

After we check out the coffins, we make our way out of the red rose room and follow this pathway to find...

The treasure room! Time to loot.

Strewn about the room are some very nice items. This should help out Asellus quite nicely.

What!? Dammit I guess we don't get to take any of those nice items with us because Asellus is just too weak.

The beginning of Asellus's tale is kind of a pain. You basically have to run around a bunch trying to trigger a bunch of event flags. There's not going to be a lot of fighting in this update.

If you make your way over to the rightmost part of the Chateau you can find Zozma chilling.

:clint:So, you're the human girl who inherited Orlouge's power.

:clint:Someone's coming I'll see you around.

:hist101:He might still be around!
His name's Zozma?

Each of the rooms in the corners of the castle have a rose and a color theme. This one in particular is going to be quite important later.

On the left side of the castle we find this room.

It functions as a teleporter.

And right outside in this room with the white flowers is where we find our first event flag.

This scene of Asellus getting stabbed and her blood staining the flowers is probably one of the more iconic scenes of Asellus's scenario.

It looks like someone was quite interested in the results of our stabbing. And that cliffhanger is where we will end our first update.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 13, 2014

• Locked thread