Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Did you intentionally leave out her nightmare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
No. Originally I thought I had missed the screenshot because it's up for about a half instant, but re-looking through my screenshots it turns out I actually was able to get a good shot. Edited it in.

Also there's a new update at the bottom of the last page for anyone just checking the thread.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, a new scenario! I wonder what will...

...oh she gets stabbed.

Well, that was fun while it lasted.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
We've seen exactly the first like, six minutes of Asellus' story and watched her get stabbed in the back.

Still beats Riki's quest.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Most High mystics are dicks

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asellus' quest is my favorite. The music and setting for it is just beautiful. Picking this quest first when I started the game really spoiled a lot of the others for me.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I love Asellus' quest, but the aforementioned event flags deal starts early and doesn't stop anytime soon. It makes the quest a huge pain for new players who can't figure out how to advance things. Even on replays it's rather irritating.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
Asellus is really a weird bird, combat wise. Her stat growth is really wonky, doesn't really lend its self well to anything other than magic. She has a passable spark list for swords though, oddly enough.

Also, will you be recruiting and using the ~super secret~ character that you can get later if you do some trickery at this part of the game? That character rocks.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

doing the obvious posted:

Asellus is really a weird bird, combat wise. Her stat growth is really wonky, doesn't really lend its self well to anything other than magic. She has a passable spark list for swords though, oddly enough.

Also, will you be recruiting and using the ~super secret~ character that you can get later if you do some trickery at this part of the game? That character rocks.

I dunno, I always gave Asellus a sword build and it never felt weak or anything, but then again Asellus has ways to compensate for and completely eliminate weaknesses when necessary and is one of the reasons her scenario is my favorite.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
She is certainly passable as far as sword users go. Not top tier like Gen. But her stat growth leaning will always leave her trailing behind other top tier physical themed characters.

I'm pretty sure they made her stat growth the way it is specifically because of the mechanics that are unique to her that put her on par with other top tier characters. I'm sure we'll get to that in due time, though.

Would have been nice if she didn't share the same spark list as other characters far as swords go. Fairly sure she, Mei-Ling and...one other character I'm forgetting all share the same sword spark list.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Asellus is a strong contender for best scenario.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's not a very high bar, but I agree.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Nah, the bar is pretty respectable. Sure, Riki's quest is garbage, Lute's is barely a quest at all (still much better than Riki's though), and Blue and Emelia's quests are rather weak in the first and second halves (respectively), but the quests of Red, Asellus and T260G more than make up for the others.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Asellus' storyline is really good, it's just a shame it didn't get the development attention it deserved.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Asellus is really shaping up to be kind of a dark fairy tale scenario so far. Woke up in a mysterious castle, bled out onto some flowers, which reacted strangely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think the flowers are unusual, she just has purple blood. The "blood stains the white flowers" thing is at best an artistic embellishment to make the scene look cooler. Pretty sure.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

Glazius posted:

Asellus is really shaping up to be kind of a dark fairy tale scenario so far. Woke up in a mysterious castle, bled out onto some flowers, which reacted strangely.

Her scenario is pretty grimdark. The flowers were just white; the purple blood was to draw attention to something that will be explained in a short fashion.

I really like the narration style her story takes. It feels like her choices have a pronounced effect with others involved in the going-on of the story.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

No wound! If this is a nightmare please let me wake up!!
Fortunately, despite being stabbed in the back, Asellus is doing alright. It would be a very short quest if she had died right here.

There are two other exits from the flower room, but both of them are blocked off. One by a locked door, and another by that rear end in a top hat who stabbed us.

So we go back to the teleporter. One nice touch is that the first time Asellus doesn't know how the teleporter works so she tries to run from it, but the second time onwards just uses it calmly.

The next flag we need to trip is down near the entrance of Chateau Aigulle. We need to head over to the main room.

My name is Asellus. But shouldn't you introduce yourself before asking others for your name?

:emo:Insolent!
Asellus. A lovely name. And spirited too. I like that.
Shouldn't you tell me your name?

Here every one in the throne room rattles off a different title for Orlouge who is the ruler of all the mystics in Facinaturu. He is also one of the 3 mystic lords in the game along with Virgil and Time Lord. Also, get ready for a pretty big exposition dump.
Mystic? You're a mystic? I am a human. I have no business with you. Let me go home.

You were stabbed with Ciato's sword, but where's your wound? Even before that you were dead, run over by my carriage. The only reason you're even alive is because of my blood-Mystic blood.

So here's the major plot point point in Asellus's quest. By receiving the blood of a mystic Asellus has become a mixture of both races. The game isn't that clear on the whole interaction between the two, but a later character tells us that full mystics were once human as well. However to beome a full mystic, a mystic must take your blood rather than the other way around. Along with the whole issue of being half mystic, there will be some side effects to receiving Orlouge's blood in particular.

I am...
Although you're half human, as a mystic you still have a great obligation to our kingdom.
Why...
Illdon. You are in charge of the girl.
Yes my lord.

:monocle:Quiet, Ciato. Our Lord knows what he is doing. Illdon will do. He's both agile and skilled with a sword.
Half mystic...
Illdon will be perfect to teach her the power of mystics. But we need someone to teach her some manners. I'll wake princess White Rose. These two will do for the girl's education. Illdon, get her some decent clothes.

Accept your fate. Be grateful we are taking such good care of you even if you are only a half-mystic. Let's go.

Didn't you hear what the Lord just said? We're going to Rootville to get your dress. We placed the order long ago.

Illdon's dialogue is kinda funny to me just because some of his lines are so out of place with the rest of the mystic dialogue.

So we make our way down to Rootville to meet the tailer. Even the entrance gate to Chateau Aigulle is pretty snazzy.

Also this is the first time that Asellus will encounter Gina, dripping in blood and with a huge stab wound in her shirt.

Put it on her.
:v:Pardon?
Hurry up.
:v:Y, yes sir. Gina.
:j:This way, please.

One thing that's not immediately apparent from the sprite is that Asellus is actually dressed in a suit rather than a dress. If you'll recall, in the opening Gina mentioned a suit they were designing for the prince of the castle and that's what they give to Asellus. It's a bit more apparent in her concept art.

:j:That was a woman?
:v:It wasn't a prince. Either way, it's a mystic.

And with that we have the first and only time Asellus encounters Gina until the endgame. We'll still get updates from her from time to time.

If you up to the right of the main foyer you can encounter the training ground will Illdon will attempt to train Asellus at swordplay.

Attempt being the key word here. Asellus is much too weak to try fighting these guys alone.

Yep.

You get in a couple different fights, so you can try your luck against a few different enemy configurations.

They all end the same way.

Really the only benefit is that you get a free knife.

But still, gently caress you Illdon.

If Illdon would have helped us in those fights we actually could have made some progress, but there is very little chance of Asellus winning alone.

Anyway the next place we need to go is to the blueish room in the upper right where we'll meet a familiar face from Emelia's scenario.
Lady Asellus. How do you do?
Who are you...?
She is the 46th princess. Princess White Rose. I haven't seen you in a while.
Illdon. Long time no see. Seems like nothing's changed.
Princess White Rose is the kindest Arch-princess in Facinaturu history.
What's an Arch-princess?
I'll tell you everything later. About mystics, myself, and Lord Orlouge. Let's go.

Now that we have White Rose we can get more information on some of the arch princesses sealed in other rooms.

Princess Lion is my elder sister. She's also called the Golden Mane for her blonde hair. I've heard she's very open and energetic.
She was a renowned warrior even when she was a human. After becoming an Arch-princess she became even stronger than us.

Princess Rei is perhaps the most interesting of the Arch Princesses.
Princess Rei was Orlouge's first princess. She was also the only one to ever escape from the castle.
Princess White Rose, you're not supposed to talk about her...
Sorry Illdon.
Wanna know something interesting?

I love Illdon's definition of interesting "Hey you know that night you almost died? Yeah Orlouge was trying to kidnap someone else. He's such a great guy!"

Anyway, we'll be back here later. You can get some more info about Princess Rei if Illdon isn't around.

However the next thing we need to do to progress is head back to Asellus's chamber where Ildon and White Rose will leave us for now.

Let's break for the day.
And I think White Rose has the right idea so we'll end that update here. See you next time where we'll finally escape from Facinaturu.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Illdon, Facinitaru's answer to Fuse. Get asked to do a job and do it very badly.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I actually "won" Ildon's training (it stops if you win seven battles back to back) the first time I played Asellus' quest. I didn't even do the thing everyone's thinking of that would make it vaguely possible. I couldn't figure out what to do next and just kept trying the training over and over again. It's doable if Asellus sparks a good martials arts tech and you get very lucky with what you fight. I was so pissed when not only did it not advance the plot, you don't get a drat thing for doing it either, not even so much as a "good job".

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

According to some materials I found, Time Lord isn't actually a Mystic Lord. He's a different sort of "Lord," and would be a low ranking Mystic if it weren't for having the gift for Time Magic.

"Oh, that nameless Mystic? Yes he's powerful, but it's not Mystic power." ...Is essentially what the others think of him.

That same source claims that Robo-Leonard eventually gets elected ruler of the government that replaces Trinity, after everyone figures out how evil it was.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
^^^ Virgil dismisses Time Lord IIRC

When I played Asellus I would grind the gently caress out of Chateau Aiguille. It's not super-smart because you will get harder and harder monsters until they're unmanageable and may even end up making the game unwinnable, but it's hilarious

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

MightyPretenders posted:

According to some materials I found, Time Lord isn't actually a Mystic Lord. He's a different sort of "Lord," and would be a low ranking Mystic if it weren't for having the gift for Time Magic.

"Oh, that nameless Mystic? Yes he's powerful, but it's not Mystic power." ...Is essentially what the others think of him.

I believe Virgil mentions this if you talk to him about Time Magic without having enough magic gifts to go to the Time Lord's realm. He'll say something about how Time Lord can't be a high class mystic because he doesn't actually have full mastery over Time Magic.

Despite this he's still coded as a High-Class Mystic, as mentioned in the whole Upper-Lower Mystic mechanics we discussed a while back, so nerts to Virgil. :haw:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I actually "won" Ildon's training (it stops if you win seven battles back to back) the first time I played Asellus' quest. I didn't even do the thing everyone's thinking of that would make it vaguely possible. I couldn't figure out what to do next and just kept trying the training over and over again. It's doable if Asellus sparks a good martials arts tech and you get very lucky with what you fight. I was so pissed when not only did it not advance the plot, you don't get a drat thing for doing it either, not even so much as a "good job".

Yeah, I think since we've beaten a few other quests the encounter rank is starting at 2 rather than 1 so Asellus has almost no chance of winning. There's a more efficient way to grind in CA but it's kind of obscure. We'll cover it in the next update.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I never thought about this before, but reading these updates it occurs to me that Asellus' scenario (so far) is straight out of a shoujo manga. She's swept into a new life and suddenly surrounded by dangerous pretty-boy assholes who hate her yet also pay way too much attention to her.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Clarste posted:

I never thought about this before, but reading these updates it occurs to me that Asellus' scenario (so far) is straight out of a shoujo manga. She's swept into a new life and suddenly surrounded by dangerous pretty-boy assholes who hate her yet also pay way too much attention to her.

Her story reminds me of Utena in a few ways, actually. Not a rip-off, just... reminiscent.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

neongrey posted:

Her story reminds me of Utena in a few ways, actually. Not a rip-off, just... reminiscent.

It's the same genre and they both use a lot of cliches.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh man, I forgot about this thread and then came back to see my favorite scenario. I also putzed around until I beat the training thinking it was somehow important. Whups.

Also, I know we're past Riki's quest, but I just want to throw in an added consideration to the final boss gently caress you for people that haven't played this game:

Monsters are a huge hassle with no real explanation and very few incentives to actually use them, even in Riki's own quest. For myself, and most of my friends who played this game, we simply ignored Riki's development and let the other 4 members of the party carry us to victory since by the time we bothered with Riki's scenario we knew our poo poo well enough to not need the fucker.

Of course, one of those other 4 was Mei-Ling. So essentially the final boss battle (which I saved right before, hurr hurr) had to be done with 3 actual characters, a hastily equipped random mech with no skills, and Riki's corpse. And both of my friends who played through the game had the exact same thing happen to them, because no way was I going to spoil that hilarious clusterfuck for them.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

I Love You! posted:

Of course, one of those other 4 was Mei-Ling. So essentially the final boss battle (which I saved right before, hurr hurr) had to be done with 3 actual characters, a hastily equipped random mech with no skills, and Riki's corpse.

And that's exactly why we consider it THE great big gently caress You of Riki's quest. Mei-Ling joins you automatically right at the start and is a very solid combatant, so for a first-time player, there's absolutely NO reason not to use her right off and keep her in the main team for the entire game. So when you finally get to the last fight, BAM, you're immediately down a solid 20-25% of your combat power (I'd hesitate to call Riki even with the others, but he has SOME use; MagicHeal alone makes any monster... well, not viable, but worth more than worthless).

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
There is a reason: whoever was responsible for Riki's quest hates the players.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do your characters start higher up or is just the Encounter Rank higher? Asellus seems ridiculously squishy.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Generally, your characters will have somewhat better stats along with the buffed encounter rank once you've got some quests done, but that isn't enough to save Asellus against rank two fights when she's the only one fighting.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Also, I don't think Asellus (or Emelia, for that matter) gets boosted stats on their own quests from system data; they start out the same no matter how you ended your last game.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Bufuman posted:

Also, I don't think Asellus (or Emelia, for that matter) gets boosted stats on their own quests from system data; they start out the same no matter how you ended your last game.

I wouldn't have guessed that for Emelia, but it makes sense for Asellus as we'll see. And for obvious Mec reasons, T-260 also falls into this category.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Do your characters start higher up or is just the Encounter Rank higher? Asellus seems ridiculously squishy.

Asellus starts out probably the squishiest character. Maybe riki is weaker. However is probably the 2nd strongest character in the entire game. With uber blue being the strongest.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Stroth posted:

It's the same genre and they both use a lot of cliches.

Yeah, true. At least nobody turns into a car in this. I don't think I could handle that happening in more than one thing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shwqa posted:

Asellus starts out probably the squishiest character. Maybe riki is weaker. However is probably the 2nd strongest character in the entire game. With uber blue being the strongest.

Depending on circumstances and whether or not you tailor her for maximum game breakage. She's got that whole "chocolate in my peanut butter" thing going where she gets the best parts of two separate races.

Thought experiment: If Riki could spark techs on top of being a monster, would he actually be tolerable?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

KataraniSword posted:

Thought experiment: If Riki could spark techs on top of being a monster, would he actually be tolerable?

Now I want to see a Black Dragon do a DSC.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Now I want to see a Black Dragon do a DSC.

Same, but a Slime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

Depending on circumstances and whether or not you tailor her for maximum game breakage. She's got that whole "chocolate in my peanut butter" thing going where she gets the best parts of two separate races.

I mean yeah he could be an insane martial artist assuming his spark list wasn't a complete pile of Riki-like garbage. Literally every human in this game is playable because you can eventually get a decent character out of them.

• Locked thread