Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did you have to fight that treasure to clear the mission, or was it an optional boss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It was optional. The trigger to end the mission is entering that room in the last screenshot.

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011
It's really weird reading this LP while playing through Frontier 2, since the two games are absolutely nothing alike.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TheUkuleleFanboy posted:

It's really weird reading this LP while playing through Frontier 2, since the two games are absolutely nothing alike.

Frontier 2 really plays more like a heavily plot-driven Romancing SaGa game, whereas Frontier seems more reminiscent of the early GameBoy SaGa titles with the race seperations and heavy focus on the battle system.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Fun fact: Final Fantasy Legend for the Gameboy was (obviously) not a Final Fantasy game, but a rebranded SaGa game. :eng101:

I managed to beat FFL, but it's kind of neat to see how the gameplay evolved. Originally, mutants were the ones that leveled up as the fight went on; for humans, you had to buy steroids potions.

Of course, the designers instantly saw the problem with this and made weapons have limited uses so you couldn't just slot four humans and drink your way to breaking the game. :v:

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

KataraniSword posted:

Frontier 2 really plays more like a heavily plot-driven Romancing SaGa game, whereas Frontier seems more reminiscent of the early GameBoy SaGa titles with the race seperations and heavy focus on the battle system.

SaGa Frontier 2 is actually very much derivative of Romancing SaGa 2 with the whole 'your characters are descendants of each other'. I wish I could at least play RS2, but I don't think we'll be expecting an English translation anytime soon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chokes McGee posted:

I managed to beat FFL, but it's kind of neat to see how the gameplay evolved. Originally, mutants were the ones that leveled up as the fight went on; for humans, you had to buy steroids potions.

Of course, the designers instantly saw the problem with this and made weapons have limited uses so you couldn't just slot four humans and drink your way to breaking the game. :v:

As far as race design, SaGa 2 (or rather, Final Fantasy Legend 2 for America) is the closest to SaGa Frontier's design, though tech sparking didn't exist until the Romancing series. Monsters have an entirely different set of mechanics in this game than in the FFL games, here your race depends almost entirely on your moveset as opposed to some unseen "monster rank" level based on what meat you eat. I'm sure dude will get into that when it becomes relevant, though.

The basic mechanics were the same, though: Humans were the ones most likely to gain stats from battle, Mystics/Mutants got special bonuses that offset their slower statgain curve (in FFL2's case, it was learning spells after battle, whereas here it's the Mystic Equipment), Mechs' stats were entirely based on equipment choices and monsters have to use their enemies as stepping stones to get stronger (there's no meat to be eaten here, but the method of learning moves is at least reminiscent.)

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Though I guess the two Frontiers are both similar in that they both feel unfinished :v:

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Am I the only person that liked Unlimited SaGa? The only one?

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Funktor posted:

Am I the only person that liked Unlimited SaGa? The only one?

I liked it, could never beat it with anyone but I liked it. I would love to see an LP of it.

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011
I liked the hexagon grid system but everything moves at such a snail's pace in that game and the UI is terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible (why can't I view my stats in town?).

Of course despite not liking it I beat the game with Laura

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I never got to the "like" or "dislike" stage. I simply could not comprehend Unlimited SaGa. It seemed like it was playing itself not because I never did anything, but because I could never understand what correlation my actions had with the events that transpired. I imagine that it was like trying to make a video game out of the Cuil Theory.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

dude789 posted:

Gameplay Update 3

This is pretty much how attack/defense worked in Romancing SaGa 3. Equipment in RS3 listed the effective magic defense separately from physical, and also had a hidden "weight" stat that affected your character's speed in battle, so heavy things like suits would pretty much make that character go last.

Along with a shirt and any number of accessories, you can mix and match any pieces of armor out of types like head, body, boots, and gloves, or wear a full suit that takes up all of those slots. Mystics are usually forced to wear either one or more of MysticArmor, Glove, and Wear.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I like unused content and ho-o-o-o-oly poo poo does SaGa Frontier have a lot of it. And thanks to this LP I can have context to it!

But all I have so far is that there's unused ship shots. Ten of them. I might have to ration these as I desperately wait for context for much of the stuff.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Interestingly, OFS's comment rekindled my interest in looking over the pages on The Cutting Room Floor. There's several interesting notes there, not just over what was cut, but also what's normally inaccessible in-game. Several cutscene-only maps have a lot more than you'd expect in them, for one.

For another, I'm pretty sure it's entirely impossible for Emilia to learn gun techs in the Graedius shooting range, as the TrainingGun is considered a Mech part instead of an actual gun, similar to things like the HyperBlaster and HyperionBazooka.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

KataraniSword posted:

As far as race design, SaGa 2 (or rather, Final Fantasy Legend 2 for America) is the closest to SaGa Frontier's design, though tech sparking didn't exist until the Romancing series.

Not entirely true. The predecessor to Tech Sparking was clearly the mutants in SaGa/FFL2 who randomly gained abilities after battle based on the level of enemy they fought. While not in-battle sparking the ability to learn new moves semi-randomly was clearly the inspiration for the RS games.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Omnicrom posted:

Not entirely true. The predecessor to Tech Sparking was clearly the mutants in SaGa/FFL2 who randomly gained abilities after battle based on the level of enemy they fought. While not in-battle sparking the ability to learn new moves semi-randomly was clearly the inspiration for the RS games.

I don't know, I think that's closer to the magic learning method which fits in nicely with Mutants being comparable to Mystics.

It'd be cool if you could show of some of the cut, OFS. I was planning on covering what was cut here and there (especially in Asellus's scenario since that one seems to have the most cut) but I wasn't going to go too much in depth with screen shots or anything. In particular, the screenshot you posted looks like it's another angle of the ship that takes you to and from Shrike and some of the other more developed regions.

Update should be coming sometime on either Saturday or Sunday.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 1, 2013

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! Today we're going to be doing a few quick sidequests to get our team a bit more spells. First, now that we have everyone assembled, let's take a look at our final team shall we?

What you thought I was going to use Asellus? Ahaha nope! We're going to show off Asellus's full capabilities in her own scenario. For now we'll use White Rose. As far as mystics go, there's nothing particularly special about White Rose but that makes her a good choice to show off just how Mystics usually function.

Our first stop is Luminous, home of the Light and Shadow magic schools. The gifts for these schools can both be acquired in about 10 minutes but the Light gift is more profitable so we'll go with that.

The young gentlemen on the right here is Rouge. Rouge is available in most quests and he's a good choice if you want a magic user. The only caveat is that he'll bounce if you ever try to go to magic kingdom.
I'm Rouge from the Magic Kingdom. I'm traveling through the regions studying various magic. Are you also searching for the gift? Then let me join.

Luminous isn't a very big region. It can be hard to see, but there are three exits to this room to the north, east and west. The west leads to the Luminous labyrinth where you can get the light gift, the north leads to the light magic shop, and the east leads to the Omble where you can get the gift for shadow magic and shadow magic shop. We'll go to the Luminous Labyrinth because White Rose already has all of the base light magic spells and she'll be our primary caster.

:science:Shadow Magic users, robots, and monsters are not permitted. Still want to try it without them? The light will lead you on your way and grant you the gift.
A couple of magic schools in saga frontier are opposed to one another and (in most cases) you can't have both. Light and Shadow are two of these schools.

Omble

Once we agree to enter the labyrinth we get sucked into the crystals in the last screenshot and end up in this room with a bunch of mirrors and a beam of light.

The goal is to adjust the mirrors so that one or more of the beams of light hits the door to open it. It's not very hard since each mirror has only 2 positions. A bit of fumbling and you can make your way through most of the puzzles pretty quickly.

The second room introduces these glowing prisms that will separate the light into 4 directions if a beam hits it. The prisms can be moved around to various stands around the room. It makes a bit more tricky but not by too much.

The final room has screens of the additive primary colors which will color the light if it passes through. If two colored lights overlap the colors will combine to form a secondary color.

The goal is to angle the light as in the above screenshot so it hits the hole at the top of the screen with white light by combining all three colors. If you hit the door with any of the secondary colors you'll get an item. Yellow gives a couple hundred credits, cyan gives a Moonlight Robe, and purple gives a sanctuary stone. What happens if you hit it with a primary color?

The goat demon would probably be really threatening to our team right now if it weren't for one thing. Entering the Labyrinth shuffled up our party lineup to include Zozma and he's vulnerable to Sharp Pain. White Rose even managed to absorb him into her Mystic Sword for hefty Vitality and Strength boosts.

I believe these fights are fixed. The Goat Demon fight comes from the red light and this set up comes from blue or vice versa. I don't think you can angle the light so just the green light hits the exit.

Something awesome happens during the fight though! Liza learns her second of the really important fighting techniques. Right now both Liza and Emelia have two of them with Emelia having Sliding and Suplex, and Liza having Suplex and Giant Swing. It's also at this point that I realize I need to put Emelia back in her Pink Tiger costume.

Eventually after a bit more putzing around I finally mange to combine all of the light colors and exit the labyrinth giving everyone who participated the gift for light magic. Now that they have the gift, anyone who casts a light spell in battle has a chance to learn a light spell they don't have yet. This includes the upper level spells which is what White Rose will be gunning for.

After a quick pitstop in Koorong to get changed we fly on over to Devin to get some materials for the Rune quest.

Devin is eccentric to say the least. As this man mentions, its full of fortune tellers, most of which are of dubious quality.

I always liked this lady. She just seemed like she doesn't take poo poo from anybody. I think her fortune actually has slight gameplay implications, but if I recall it wasn't anything important.

Continuing on we encounter this skeleton.
:yohoho: I can tell your fortune too. I'm the skeleton psychic.

Bang up job there buddy.

The backgrounds in Devin are all pretty interesting at least. Here we find a giant who has decided to become a humble fortune teller instead of roadblocking inexperienced players like his giant brethren.
:btroll:There you go, thatta boy. Let's get right to it.....hmmmm. You have the palm of...a duck type #! Wonderful!
:psyduck: I think he might want to go back to roadblocking. Also, Emelia falls victim to stock dialogue here.

Here we find a fortune teller who tells our fortune by looking at coffee. This was probably supposed to be tea but whatever.
:morning:Howdy. What'll it be? Look deep inside the cup. The coffee shows your future. Hmm an arrow. That means either advance or retreat. Something must be happening.

That's enough bumbling around for now, let's go and get what we came for.
:science: Welcome to the lure of the rune. What's your pleasure. This magic protects its users by wrapping them in rune light. To master higher spells, you need to acquire their gift. Since the Rune and Arcane cannot coexist, possessors of Arcane Magic must first give it up before they can learn this magic.
(ask about the gift)
:science: To acquire the gift for Rune Magic, collect all 4 runes in various regions. The Hide Rune in Koorong, The Victory Rune in Shrike, The Freedom Rune in Despair, The Vitality Rune in Tanzer. You already have a rune. What an uncanny destiny you have.
(Received 4 pebbles.)
:science: When these 4 plain pebbles become runes, you will acquire the gift for this magic.

As I mentioned earlier, the Rune quest along with the Arcane quest are the two main side quest lines for Saga Frontier. If you want to beat the game with all of the characters you'll become very familiar with them. Compared to the Arcane quest, the Rune quest has longer dungeons and more enemies, but is also easier overall. The dungeons are pretty straightforward and have simple enemies and bosses.

Lastly, we'll be making a brief trip in Kyo to pick up the gift for Mind magic. There's not much in Kyo aside from Mind magic and a lot of :japan:

How rude, Mind magic is the easiest gift to pick up. All of your human characters have to fight a predetermined set of enemies one on one. If they win they get the gift, if they lose they don't. You only get one shot so make sure everyone is prepared.
:witch: What is your business? Mind Magic allows you to convert your own spirit magic. To master higher spells, you need to acquire the gift for them.
(Ask about the gift)
:witch: In order to acquire this gift, you need to go through training. Are you interested? Only humans are qualified to take the training are you ready?

As you can see we're thrust into a battle against a harpy, you can change who faces the enemy if you wish by changing the team. We have Liza go up against the Harpy here. She barely survives his attack and OHKOs him back with Giant Swing.

Emelia performs similarly against this Living Glove.

Sadly Asellus was not as lucky against the Sonic Bat. No Mind magic for her I guess.

Of gently caress, Liches are rear end in a top hat enemies with a powerful Scream attack and nasty status effects. It would be nice if Annie could get Mind Magic. Hmmm what should we do?

Go forth Lute! I believe in you!

Lute actually survives the first round and gets in some damage because the Lich charmed him and Lute had already rolled that he was going to spark DoubleSlash. As a reward, he runs right into the CounterFear barrier. CounterFear is indicated by a bunch of floating skulls phasing in and out around the Lich and if you use a contact move on the enemy you get hit with Red Mess which can cause you to randomly redirect attacks towards allies. It's very bad.

Eventually though the Lich just screams at Lute and one shots him for something like 10X his HP. Full Party Wipes Because an Enemy Screamed at You, guys! :v:

After Lute we only have two more characters left. Annie goes up against a Hedgehog which she easily beats. Mei-Ling gets blown up by this Slugger.

We buy MindHeal for a bunch of characters and that is where we will end the update. Next time, we'll delve into Mu's Tomb to get the Victory Rune. I hope you will join me then.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 2, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dude789 posted:

Here we find a fortune teller who tells our fortune by looking at coffee. This was probably supposed to be tea but whatever.
:morning:Howdy. What'll it be? Look deep inside the cup. The coffee shows your future. Hmm an arrow. That means either advance or retreat. Something must be happening.

Ladies and gentlemen, Francis York Morgan's first job in video games.

I forgot how much of an rear end in a top hat move it was that they threw a Lich at you in the Mind Magic trials. For those keeping track at home, Liches are pretty high enemy tier - if my numbers are right, they're somewhere around 4 or 5 ranks above what dude's party is typically going to face, or about two tiers short of the absolute strongest random monsters around. However, it's preset enemies here, as stated - that loving Lich will always be there to ruin someone's day.

EDIT: Glancing at the guides again, if you want a relative power level, the Harpy is Tier 4, the LivingGlove is Tier 3 (where I think the party is "officially" sitting at), Sonicbat shows up around Tier 6, Lich is Tier 7, the Hedgehog is Tier 2 (:haw:), and the Slugger is Tier 6. Typically, a group will be ready to tackle endgame bosses when they're regularly pinging Tier 7 or 8.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 2, 2013

FridayNightFights
Feb 17, 2011
Loving this LP so far as this is one of my favorite games. I've beaten it with Red, Blue, Emelia and Lute and go back to it and best it with one if them again once every year or so. It's horribly unfinished but as others have said, it oozes charm and it has a lot of uniqueness to it in story and mechanics, which make me willing to forgive it's faults.

For whatever reason, none of the other SaGa games enthralled me nearly as much as this one. I still hold out that thin wire of hope that a fan patch or remake will come along and restore at least some of it.

Finally, huh. I didn't know the outfits actually changed Emeila's talent like that. I had an idea they helped learn certain types of moves like fighting or swords because of EGM'S walkthrough of the game from way back in the day but not nearly that. Shame the dancer outfit changes it to Annie's, it is my favorite. Thanks for teaching me something new about this game and I look forward to more!

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I never actually bothered to do the Mind Magic quest, since at the time I thought the school had some pretty bad spells aside from Mind Heal (which I believe StarlightHeal sorta works the same). Glad that you're showing it off, though.

Also, nice cursors :v:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Thwack! posted:

I never actually bothered to do the Mind Magic quest, since at the time I thought the school had some pretty bad spells aside from Mind Heal (which I believe StarlightHeal sorta works the same). Glad that you're showing it off, though.

Also, nice cursors :v:

Mind Heal is self target only, but is generally a lot stronger than Starlight heal. Mind magic in general is very self focused (which makes sense I suppose), but it's a nice addition to characters who are more physically focused.

:negative: Dammit. I had been doing so well so far until that screenshot session. I'll be sure to double check for it from now on.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Something notable about Mind Magic. All magic has an opposing school, and if you use spells in that school and/or have the gift for that magic, you can't use spells/have the gift in its opposite. The one exception - technically - is Mind Magic. In truth, Mind Magic does have a school of magic opposing it - but that school of magic is Evil Magic, which only Zozma can ever learn, and which nobody at all can get the gift for.

Zozma is a mystic, and thus could never learn Mind Magic anyway, making it a moot point. It makes me wonder if wide-spread use of Evil Magic was one of the things cut from the game.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Something notable about Mind Magic. All magic has an opposing school, and if you use spells in that school and/or have the gift for that magic, you can't use spells/have the gift in its opposite. The one exception - technically - is Mind Magic. In truth, Mind Magic does have a school of magic opposing it - but that school of magic is Evil Magic, which only Zozma can ever learn, and which nobody at all can get the gift for.

Zozma is a mystic, and thus could never learn Mind Magic anyway, making it a moot point. It makes me wonder if wide-spread use of Evil Magic was one of the things cut from the game.

If (my lousy) memory serves, Mystics can LEARN Mind Magic. But they're barred from getting the gift. Asellus is an exception because she's half human.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

Thwack! posted:

Mind Magic has two very useful spells, actually. Awakening which is...well, you'll see, I'm sure. And Life Wave, which is pretty awesome, too.

It's actually kind of funny in Blue's scenario where if you do the multi-cast glitch with him, he can combo off himself just casting Life Wave multiple times for pretty good damage and low costs since mind magic is the lowest JP, overall

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dugan Nash posted:

Mind Magic has two very useful spells, actually. Awakening which is...well, you'll see, I'm sure. And Life Wave, which is pretty awesome, too.

I'm uncertain on the exact numbers, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Life Wave has the best JP-to-damage ratio in the game.

And Awakening is just wonderful for a physically-oriented character.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
...So ARE there any decent fan patches for this game?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You went to Devin and started the rune quest... then you got to Kyo? Is that possible? Doesn't something happen after you get the first rune? Or is Emila exempt and it happens after the second?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

FeyerbrandX posted:

You went to Devin and started the rune quest... then you got to Kyo? Is that possible? Doesn't something happen after you get the first rune? Or is Emila exempt and it happens after the second?

That only happens when you leave from Koorong. Devin can connect to Kyo directly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you actually get the gift for every kind of magic if you have enough human members in your party?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Glazius posted:

Can you actually get the gift for every kind of magic if you have enough human members in your party?

Certain kinds of magic are character specific like we've seen with Zozma and his Evil Magic so you can't get all types of magic on one character. As a result, due to character recruitments I don't think it's possible to get all of the spells on one playthrough but you can get most of the important ones. However, you can split up your characters magic so if we wanted we could have say Emelia specialize in Light and Rune while say Annie specializes in Shadow and Arcane. To get the Rune or Arcane gift, the character must be present for all of the sidequests and not have any magic from the opposing school. All we'd have to do is give Annie an Arcane spell and do the Arcane quests and she would get the gift for Arcane while everyone else would have Rune.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

dude789 posted:

Certain kinds of magic are character specific like we've seen with Zozma and his Evil Magic so you can't get all types of magic on one character. As a result, due to character recruitments I don't think it's possible to get all of the spells on one playthrough but you can get most of the important ones. However, you can split up your characters magic so if we wanted we could have say Emelia specialize in Light and Rune while say Annie specializes in Shadow and Arcane. To get the Rune or Arcane gift, the character must be present for all of the sidequests and not have any magic from the opposing school. All we'd have to do is give Annie an Arcane spell and do the Arcane quests and she would get the gift for Arcane while everyone else would have Rune.

This is kind of an annoying requirement though. It makes getting certain characters the gift for magics on their quest a pain because you have to go and recruit all of them before actually completing any of the sidequests, which can be counterproductive. The biggest examples are Fuse and Silence, the former of whom joins right on the mission to get one of the Arcane cards, namely the hardest one that you should save until last, and Silence is only recruitable in the middle of the Shadow gift quest, so he can't get the gift for Shadow.

In the short term? This means that Emelia, Annie, and Liza are the only ones that can get the Rune gift in Emelia's quest, since the three of them automatically get the Freedom Rune down. Everyone else will have to go with Arcane. Which isn't much of a problem, really, since most of the Rune Magic sucks rear end IMHO (not counting the one that's part of a certain game-breaking combo that may or may not be a glitch). Vitality and Victory are good early on, but later in the game there will be much more efficient ways to spend turns.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Based on some curiosity and a half-remembered fragment of advice I went and did some digging on the Devin fortune tellers. Turns out they do have an effect.

Basically each time you go to Devin you get a certain set of Fortunes. If the Skeleton says it'll snow then the Palmist will say you have the palm of a duck, the coffeeman will see an Arrow in your cup, you'll get a lucky fortune from the lady outside, and if you had gone to the astrologist lady you'd have been told your star was in the seat of luck. What does this matter? Well there are 8 sets and depending on which one you get certain enemies will respawn. The bosses in the Shingrow Ruins, the chests in Mu's tomb, and the thugs in Koorong's Backstreet area are all possible enemies that can respawn depending on your fortune. They also seem to affect how many scream-happy bastards you have to kill to fight one of the superbosses, and may make it easier to encounter the proper enemy for the single-most obscure party member's recruitment.

As for Mind Magic it's pretty cool. Mindheal is usually worth having on a non-Magic user, and the only Mind Magic spell is pretty strong for being so cheap. However I don't think I've ever solo'd a Lich, even with a party those guys can be nasty to fight.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

This is probably my favorite screen, barring a few storyline-specific maps.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Omnicrom posted:

As for Mind Magic it's pretty cool. Mindheal is usually worth having on a non-Magic user, and the only Mind Magic spell is pretty strong for being so cheap. However I don't think I've ever solo'd a Lich, even with a party those guys can be nasty to fight.

It's possible if you have a hell of a lot of status protection, one of the high-damage gift-specific magics (The damaging skills from Arcane Magic and Light Magic are both good for that) and enough JP to use it several times. A Harmonium Earring helps make it less luck-based, too. There's also a gun skill that, if memory serves, does extra damage to undead and doesn't trigger CounterFear, though it generally does less damage than the magics in question.

Of course, in order to get all of these things, you have to be trained up well past the point that you really need the gift for Mind Magic, so it's better to just set aside a trash C-Team party member you'll never use (Lute and non-protagonist Emelia are good choices) to swallow the inevitable Lich slaughter so that the rest of your good party members can get the gift.

EDIT:

Funktor posted:

...So ARE there any decent fan patches for this game?

Not for the English game. There's a lost content restoration patch for the Japanese version, but I can't vouch for its quality since I can't read moonrunes.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 4, 2013

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
This has been so informative on just how the gently caress SF's system works, I'm really impressed... but I was wondering something a little tangential.

Some of the elements of the plot, in general, are a little incomprehensible, but is this due to the nature of the game, or because of a spotty translation? I mean, the missing 8th Main Character could have tied up some loose ends, but the stuff with the base Emelia was taken to last time the plot mattered just ends abruptly, and sometimes it was hard for me (especially during Red's story which I know has alot of cut content) to follow things. But then again, when I played Romancing SaGa 3, this was also a semi issue...I'm just curious if it's because of the translation, or if it really is all because alot of plot points are on the floor somewhere in the game developer's office...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TKMobile posted:

Some of the elements of the plot, in general, are a little incomprehensible, but is this due to the nature of the game, or because of a spotty translation? I mean, the missing 8th Main Character could have tied up some loose ends, but the stuff with the base Emelia was taken to last time the plot mattered just ends abruptly, and sometimes it was hard for me (especially during Red's story which I know has alot of cut content) to follow things. But then again, when I played Romancing SaGa 3, this was also a semi issue...I'm just curious if it's because of the translation, or if it really is all because alot of plot points are on the floor somewhere in the game developer's office...

It's hard to say, one way or the other. This game and the Romancing SaGa games alike seemed to be somewhat arbitrary in what starts and ends a "quest", so to speak - be it a plotline event or a sidequest - but it's hard to say if it's due to cut content or a really strange design philosophy.

What I can safely say is that, of the quests in the main game, T-260G and Riki probably have the least cut content, followed possibly by Blue. It shows in the former two cases, given that they're the most "complete" of the storylines, though in Blue's case it's more that he doesn't really have much to his story - he's the "nothing but sidequests" character, really, even more than Lute.

That said, I'm not entirely sure if the Trinity Base segment was supposed to have more to it or not - I don't know what Essence of SaGa Frontier (the Japanese superbook/canon bible) says about Emelia's quest, and she's the only one that actually has a segment there. It does seem rather pointless, though, except as an excuse to get Asellus in the party.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

KataraniSword posted:

That said, I'm not entirely sure if the Trinity Base segment was supposed to have more to it or not - I don't know what Essence of SaGa Frontier (the Japanese superbook/canon bible) says about Emelia's quest, and she's the only one that actually has a segment there. It does seem rather pointless, though, except as an excuse to get Asellus in the party.

The cut character was supposed to be Fuse, right? Presumably there would have been a section there since iirc Fuse was supposed to be investigating Trinity in Red's quest, so it seems likely that he could've ended up there. Just speculation on my part though.

It DOES explain why the biotech lab exists as an area, which I think the OP was getting at during that section. Cotton, who you pick up there, is some kinda weird monster space-cop like Fuse. I believe there's some dialogue between them if you save Cotton with Fuse in the party to that effect.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

You're right on the cut character, though I don't know about the second spoiler. The third one actually wasn't just for the cut character - there's some cut stuff in Asellus's quest in that area, too.

That's about all I can go into at the moment without going into black box mode myself, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Gameplay Update 4: Mystic Development
Mystics along with humans are one of 2 races is Saga Frontier capable of buying and equipping spells. As I mentioned in the analysis of human spell casters, the biggest problem with Mystics as spell casters is that they only have 4 spell slots which really cuts down on the options available to them. Of course it's not all bad, the way Mystics are developed allows for them to pack a bit more power into their spells as Mystics can min-max their stats much better than humans.

Mystic Weapons:
Whereas humans can level up all of their stats after battle by performing certain actions, Mystics will only level up in HP, WP, JP, and Charm. The rest of their stats will remain completely static and can only be modified by bonuses from their Mystic Weapons. Over the course of their development Mystics will acquire three Mystic weapons: Mystic Sword, Mystic Glove, and Mystic Boots. These weapons when used in battle will deal a small amount of damage comparable to a low level technique like Double Slash or Air Throw. If the damage from that attack would kill the enemy the enemy will be sucked into the weapon until the Mystic absorbs a new enemy into that weapon. If the enemy is damaged but not so much so that the damage from the Mystic Weapon would kill, there is an additional chance that the Mystic Weapon will trigger an instant death effect and absorb the monster. However, there are some limitations. You can only absorb "monster" type enemies. You cannot absorb enemies classified as Mystics, Humans or Mechs. You can still trigger the instant death effect if the enemy is damaged, but it will be animated like a regular instant death skill and they will not be absorbed.

Once absorbed, the Mystic Weapons will provide two benefits. The first is stat boosts which are dependent on the monster and will give the same bonus regardless of where it is absorbed. The second is a skill which will appear below the Mystic Weapon in the attack selection menu. Unlike the stats, the skill changes depending on where it is absorbed. For example, a Dullahan will give + 20 each to Strength, Quickness, Intelligence, and Psychic in all the Mystic Weapons, but will teach Griffith Scratch in the Sword, Crystalizer in the Glove, and Assassinate in the boots. In general the available skills are a mix of abilities available to Monsters and abilities unique to Mystics. The Mystics probably come out a bit ahead because some of the abilities unique to them are high damage skills like Tiger Rampage or Griffith Scratch.

Building your Mystic
In general the main decision you have to make for a Mystic is whether you want their main source of offense to be a Mystic skill or a spell. If you want to use Mystic skills then you'll probably want to focus in on absorbs like the Dullahan who give great stat bonuses and a couple good skills. You should also give them a couple support spells. Even if they don't have a heavy spell focus, they'll probably appreciate a spell like Shadow Servant or Soul Rune.

If you decide to go the spell caster route you'll want to go for pure stats. MegaWindBlast will probably be your primary form of offense so stick with that and load up your Mystic with any absorb that boosts Psychic, Vitality, Quickness or Will. You might also want to set aside one absorb for a support skill like Magic Heal. Regardless of which path, you'll probably want to fill out the rest of your absorbs with Suzakus who give +20 to each stat. The skills the Suzaku's give are pretty terrible, but the stats are well worth it. Also keep an eye out for absorbable bosses. These tend to give great stat boosts and skills all at the same time. Their are even a couple who give +25 to each stat in addition to powerhouse skills like Griffith Scratch. Absorb them if you get the chance!

Deciding on a Mystic
After Mechs, mystics are probably the most unique race in the game. Each Mystic has individual base stats that they are stuck with so it's important to take them into consideration when deciding on how to build them. Furthermore, each Mystic has a piece of equipment that is locked onto them. For most mystics, this is the rather awful Mystic Mail which sucks up their armor slot and typically results in Mystics that are really frail. Mesarthim and Dr. Nusakan are the only Mystics that don't have to equip it and coincidentally they are two of the best. They're always good choices if you want a Mystic in your team and aren't sure on who to pick.

The other factor aside from stats and forced equipment is spells. There are 3 Mystics who have a magic school gift that is unique to them. We've already seen Zozma with his unique Evil magic, but we'll see two more later, one of whom has one of the most powerful magic schools in the game. I'll be sure to show both of these off once we encounter them.

Overall, the Mystics primary strength is their ability to support the team. They won't match the damage output of Weapon using humans or mechs, but they can close the gap somewhat with their mix of spells and other support skills. The ability to min max their stats is also a boon, but if you're using a Mystic Mail character be sure to keep them well defended to help make up for their frailty.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 8, 2013

• Locked thread