Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Divine Suplex Comedy

It's neat that we have both this thread and the FFVI Brave New World (a romhack) threads going at once. One of the characters in FFVI can suplex things, and the hack removes restrictions on a lot of things that couldn't previously be suplexed.

We need more non-wrestling game suplex threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

sudonim posted:

Divine Suplex Comedy

It's neat that we have both this thread and the FFVI Brave New World (a romhack) threads going at once. One of the characters in FFVI can suplex things, and the hack removes restrictions on a lot of things that couldn't previously be suplexed.

Too bad the Grappling tree for Brawlers is garbage in ToME.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Dominates Several Characters

Delivers Significant Collateral

Deadly Squid Clutch
(once you start fighting those dang krakens)

Drug Smoke? Cool!

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

sudonim posted:

Divine Suplex Comedy

Live-A-Live has a whole chapter dedicated to wrestling.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It seems like Square had a pretty big thing for wrestling in general from like 1994-1998. Not only is it in here, FF6, and Live-A-Live, but a lot of Tifa's limit breaks are decidedly Sabin-like in nature, we had Bowser throwing teammates like projectiles in Super Mario RPG, and Kevin was decidedly more grappler-like in nature compared to the glove attacks in Secret of Mana.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

That was one drat Sexy Combo.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Come on dude, Don't Stop Chokeslamming.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Come on dude, Don't Stop Chokeslamming.

Damnit, I hear that to the tune of "Don't stop believin'"

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It's Thanksgiving so here is an update! I'm sure our browsers are all thankful that we made it to a new page.

Today we'll be finishing up the Rune Quest but first I would be remiss if I didn't mention Chokes McGee's cool Final Fantasy Legend LP, especially after he gave me such a nice shoutout in his own thread. It's a great place to check out some of the origins of the Saga franchise and Chokes McGee's characterization of the PCs is pretty hilarious.

So the final rune, the Hide Rune, is hidden deep in the crystal caverns beneath Koorong which can be accessed by heading south here.

The alley beneath the shop leads to this backstreet area where we are immediately accosted by these thugs who offer us a choice between paying to get past or fighting them.

Unfortunately for them we have a scarcity of credits, but a surplus of rear end kicking so our choice of what to do is obvious.

Doubly unfortunate for them is that the thugs are just some weak Blue Fighters along with a few other weaklings.

This area can be a bit tricky to navigate. You're constantly popping in and out of the sewers and it can be difficult to find the way forward.

Eventually we find this secret shop with a mech (who appears to love cheap beer) manning the counter. He sells us high power machine items which are great for mechs. Sadly we have no mechs so they are just money sinks for us.

It looks like this area was a mine that got shut down a while back. I guess it makes sense with where we're going. Liza pops up here to give us some guidance. She won't do this again and conveniently chose to appear after most of the difficult navigation is over.

So here we are in the crystal caverns. I generally think these types of areas look kind of cool, but I'm not a huge fan of this area. It's too cramped and easy to bump into the many enemies scattered throughout.

We've been fighting enough that we're starting to encounter enemies in the "late mid game" range. I wanted to point out the Shadow because I don't fight them very often. Human type enemies are pretty rare.

Along the way Liza learns Scuffle. Scuffle is a fun little throwing technique just for how cartoony it is.

Watch out for this area. If you run towards the gap you'll leap over to the other side otherwise you'll just fall into the gap. You have to jump across it to make it to the end of the dungeon.

We get some decent treasures here. Magi Waters are Ethers essentially and the Angel Armor is a solid piece of armor that also helps its wearer avoid quake attacks.

There's actually some very slight water flows effects that I never noticed until I started this LP. It's kind of nice I suppose. This area is also right before the boss of the area.

So here we have the Quake Worm and her 3 Worm Brood pals. As you can imagine this is another fight where MT attacks are very helpful.

The Worm Broods will spam buffs and healing skills so we want to take them out first. They can also block off characters from hitting the Quake Worm if you don't have long range attacks.

Eventually we take out the Broods leaving just the big one. Unfortunate Liza doesn't have a whole lot to do this fight. All of the enemies are rooted to the ground so the Dream Super Combo doesn't work on them. Between this and the Slime battle, the Rune quest is really quite unfriendly towards our favorite attack for Defeating Spooky Cabooses.

White Rose picked up Assasinate by absorbing a Dead Knight into her Mystic Boots. Against non boss enemies it has a decent chance at instant death but here it's just her strongest attack.

Eventually though the Quake Worm goes down without threatening us very much. That's the big problem with the Rune Quest. None of the bosses are that difficult so the first two quests train you up so much that the last two are a breeze.

The Hide Rune chooses the dubious hiding strategy of being loving gigantic. Although I guess it works when you take the form of a giant canyon underground defended by a bunch of bugs.

Since we did this quest last, all of the four runes pop up and slide into Emelia indicating that we have received the gift.

Of course now we get to the best part of the Hide Rune quest. Backtracking out!

The most eventful thing that happens on the way out is bumping into these assholes again.

Before they wiped us out, but now that we have a full party and bit more training their attacks bounce off of us and we take them out in a round.

The final thing we do is buy some defensive equipment. We buy a Powered Suit for Emelia and a bunch of Hyperwears for everyone. If you want to get the most bang for your defensive buck hyperwears are a great choice. They're cheap for the defense they offer and the items that make them obsolete are very rare. The powered suit is just an all around powerful defensive item and is easily powerful enough for the endgame.

Next time we're going to start finishing up Emelia's quest. I think we only have about 3 or so major updates for this quest so I hope you will join me then!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I remember early on just getting lost in the Sewers, without context or goal or starting the rune quest... and getting to the cave. And getting through the cave. And at the end just having worm broods hopping on me every time I enter the final room.

Delicious Sugar Crunch!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

dude789 posted:

It's Thanksgiving so here is an update!

Next time we're going to start finishing up Emelia's quest. I think we only have about 3 or so major updates for this quest so I hope you will join me then!
Any thoughts to whose quest you're doing next? I always though Red has one of the more fun stories and he gets one or two really good mech characters.

Damp Sweaty Crotch

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Doin' Some Coke

edit: Dire Straits CD

Damage Some Capillaries

Also, you should do Lute's next, because that lazy bum needs to get a job. I'm having a hard time deciding who I think should be last--Red's quest is really fun and would be a high note to end on, but Blue's is really something special for reasons we'll see later on, and I think both should be saved for the end.

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 28, 2013

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
So; now that you've unlocked DSC, why is Emilia still wearing the Pink Tiger costume? I kind of hate how it makes her look. :v:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

dude789 posted:

It looks like this area was a mine that got shut down a while back. I guess it makes sense with where we're going. Liza pops up here to give us some guidance. She won't do this again and conveniently chose to appear after most of the difficult navigation is over.

I think if you ask the Devin psychics for hints, they'll tell you to enlist the help of the guy with the rune sign on his shop. Once you find Dr. Nusakan's office, I think the way to the crystal caves is pretty straightforward. IIRC he will even explain that Koorong is sick because of the worm infestation on the Hide rune

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Poulpe posted:

So; now that you've unlocked DSC, why is Emilia still wearing the Pink Tiger costume? I kind of hate how it makes her look. :v:

Laziness. It should be off next update. Also, Dr. Nusakan's office is actually in the exact opposite direction of the Hide Rune cave. Dr. Nusakan's office is reached through the other exit in Koorong.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
In honor of Desert Bus, I propose that we kill all foes with Desiccanting Silica Crystals.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also, you should do Lute's next, because that lazy bum needs to get a job. I'm having a hard time deciding who I think should be last--Red's quest is really fun and would be a high note to end on, but Blue's is really something special for reasons we'll see later on, and I think both should be saved for the end.

Riki and T260 are both pretty fun and the most fleshed-out any storyline in SaGa Frontier gets. Canonically, Lute's quest is the last one in the order, because POWER OF FRIENDSHIP. (I'm serious - apparently everyone decides to help out the jobless bum because he's been following everyone else around like a lost puppy.) Asellus has the most cut material, Blue has... those special reasons, and Red's gimmick is appropriately dramatic.

You can really make an argument for any order, here.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Asellus DOES have a lot of cut content, and yet she still has one of the more complete stories. Her story also has an irritating gimmick. But yeah, I'd probably recommend T260G's next. That one is fun. Riki's isn't bad either. I feel like Asellus's would be better if it came later in the order.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009
T260G is an excuse to show off Mech mechanics, and there have been exactly zero so far in Emilia's scenario. It's also a pretty decent story, from what little I recall.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

viewtyjoe posted:

T260G is an excuse to show off Mech mechanics, and there have been exactly zero so far in Emilia's scenario. It's also a pretty decent story, from what little I recall.

Yeah I want to see how robots work in this game.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I actually hate the DSC, it makes the game too easy. The first time I got it was during Red's quest, using Fei On. The "cool" recurring boss never lasted more than two turns, I never even got to see his gimmicks

Disregard the Stupid Combo

viewtyjoe posted:

And it has the coolest final boss of the entire game (NO FUTURE), and many unique dungeons and enemies

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Here's a sort of tentative order I have for the rest of the quests.

1st: Blue. It provides some nice continuity to show off the Rune quest with Emelia and the Arcane quest with Blue. I'll also be covering the schools of magic in his gameplay updates. We'll yse a mech here so don't worry too much about getting your mech fix. Also, don't worry. I will be breaking the game when it comes time to do so.
2nd: Vote between Asellus and T260G. (Based on the thread it will probably end up T260G).
3rd: Lute Get this out of the way while there are still some sidequests to show off.
4th: Vote between loser of 2nd and Riki.
5th: Loser of 4th round
6th: Red to cap things off and end with a superpowered team that's done every sidequest.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 29, 2013

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

dude789 posted:

Also, don't worry. I will be breaking the game when it comes time to do so.

:woop: This game is spectacular about that, even if the biggest one is definitely a bug and not by design. Some of the poo poo you can pull off in this game has to be seen to be believed, it's totally nuts.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
So I'm sort of playing along with you in this LP, as I've been rear end at this game since its release date and it seems like you know what the gently caress you're doing, and... :smith:

I'm right before the trigger for the Martial Arts Tournament, rolling with Emelia, Annie, Liza, and Roufas, doing odds and ends (like visiting Shrike for goodies, whipping poo poo's rear end/getting my rear end whipped at the Bio Lab, etc.). Roufas and Annie are tearing poo poo up with dual blades, dominating swords conveniently, but Liza has plateaued in her progress of discovering suplexes constantly, and Emelia only learned her first gun ability over an hour into the quest, despite discharging shells continuously.

Roufas is really getting bitchslapped by the RNG, though--he's got decent DEF and HP, and even though he's never at the front of the party, it seems like the game wants to really gently caress him over, because he just keeps getting smashed in the face for damage seemingly consistently higher than the other party members. Is there a hidden flag that makes the enemy better at dishing super chaos onto his dumb stupid countenance more than anyone else? I am dismally stupefied: confused.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Roufas is really getting bitchslapped by the RNG, though--he's got decent DEF and HP, and even though he's never at the front of the party, it seems like the game wants to really gently caress him over, because he just keeps getting smashed in the face for damage seemingly consistently higher than the other party members. Is there a hidden flag that makes the enemy better at dishing super chaos onto his dumb stupid countenance more than anyone else? I am dismally stupefied: confused.

You know I've played this game a lot since I was a wee lad when it came out, but never got into the algorithms behind the curtain. I also have vague memories of Roufas always taking an annoyingly higher amount of damage and wonder if it really is some side of coded thing.

Anyways, I love seeing people who likewise enjoy this game, as unfinished as it is. It's funny as I thought "Man he isn't even showing of X or Y before finishing Emelia!" But then remembered all the remaining scenarios and certainly wouldn't want this LP to blow the load on the first one!

My only request is more music links! I like the little diddy that accompanies the end scenario art and a place like Luminous and Shingrow have pretty cool thematic music!

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 30, 2013

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

So I'm sort of playing along with you in this LP, as I've been rear end at this game since its release date and it seems like you know what the gently caress you're doing, and... :smith:

I'm right before the trigger for the Martial Arts Tournament, rolling with Emelia, Annie, Liza, and Roufas, doing odds and ends (like visiting Shrike for goodies, whipping poo poo's rear end/getting my rear end whipped at the Bio Lab, etc.). Roufas and Annie are tearing poo poo up with dual blades, dominating swords conveniently, but Liza has plateaued in her progress of discovering suplexes constantly, and Emelia only learned her first gun ability over an hour into the quest, despite discharging shells continuously.

Just be patient with Liza. You really won't be able to consistently spark various Dominant Scrotum Crusher techniques aside from Suplex and Sliding until you have about 300 or so HP when fighting in the Bio Lab or 350-450 outside of it. Same with Emelia. A lot of Gun Techniques are back loaded to around the mid to late mid game. As for Roufas, I don't really know what's up with him. It could be worth checking an FAQ to see if the armor you have him wearing is just really min maxed or something. Remember that the defense stat displayed is only for one type of defense and that Vitality also plays a role in how much damage you take.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

dude789 posted:

Just be patient with Liza. You really won't be able to consistently spark various Dominant Scrotum Crusher techniques aside from Suplex and Sliding until you have about 300 or so HP when fighting in the Bio Lab or 350-450 outside of it. Same with Emelia. A lot of Gun Techniques are back loaded to around the mid to late mid game. As for Roufas, I don't really know what's up with him. It could be worth checking an FAQ to see if the armor you have him wearing is just really min maxed or something. Remember that the defense stat displayed is only for one type of defense and that Vitality also plays a role in how much damage you take.

I swapped and eventually upgraded his armor, but it still seems like he's taking a beating. I haven't been writing down everyone's damage totals for comparison, though, so it might just be confirmation bias. Either way, I'm not going to complain, because I just had an absolutely stellar run of good luck--in less than 30 minutes of gameplay, I got several sweet-rear end katana skills (including one that I've never seen before!), some gun techs, and DSC. Of course, all those great things aren't keeping us from getting one-shotted in the Bio Lab every other fight (due to early-game low HP/weak armor), but if we manage to stay alive for a turn or two, we can bring some serious pain (especially Roufas--if the enemy is in a tight cluster, his Wheel Slash makes quite a few monsters out there widows and orphans in a matter of seconds).

Edit: Also, I find it hilarious that only one person in my party knows any healing magic, because it's Roufas, and it's Mind Heal, so it only heals him, but he never gets to use it because if someone tags him, he falls before having a chance to get the spell off :downs:

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 4, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Edit: Also, I find it hilarious that only one person in my party knows any healing magic, because it's Roufas, and it's Mind Heal, so it only heals him, but he never gets to use it because if someone tags him, he falls before having a chance to get the spell off :downs:

Ye gods, man; you know you can buy magic without a character having a gift for it, right? Go to Luminous and get someone StarlightHeal! I mean sheesh.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Emelia Scenario Pros and Cons and Party Analysis
So since we're nearing the end of Emelia's scenario I'd like to go over what makes her quest worth doing as a whole as well as go over the strengths and weaknesses of each of her party members. We'll start with the breakdown of Emelia's party.

Emelia: At the start of her own story Emelia is the weakest character in the game with hideous starting stats, and such a low HP stat it can be difficult to catch her up at first. Once she does catch up though she can easily press ahead by taking advantage of her costume changes to gain nearly complete talent coverage. According to the Data Mechanics FAQ, the only 4 techniques she does not have the talent four in any of her costumes are Turbid Current, LifeSprinkler, Tres Flores, and Gold Hand. This essentially makes her the most versatile character in the game in her own scenario. Outside of her own scenario, she's still pretty versatile. She's above average at learning Sword techniques, and adequate at learning fighting and Gun/Spells. Her low learn rate for Spells and Guns is made up for somewhat because she has really good stats for it. Really she can fill almost any role in a party, and that attribute along with her availability in every quest make her my most used character.

Annie: Sadly, Annie isn't very good. The game wants her to be a swordsman, but her sword talent list is very sparse. She actually makes a better fighter than a swordsman, but Liza still overshadows her there. She's kind of awkward to recruit in most scenarios. However, Emelia's scenario just gives her to you right and the beginning and puts her in your party a bunch of times so you might as well use her. Even then she'll still be serviceable like most humans usually are, and with such a high degree of randomness, Saga Frontier humans are a lot like Fire Emblem characters in that personal experience doesn't mean a whole lot.

Liza: Liza is tied with Gen as having the most talents in the game aside from Emelia with costumes. I believe that both of them are only untalented in 12 techniques with Gen being untalented in a bit more fighting techniques, and Liza missing a few more sword skills. She usually ends up most player's first ticket to seeing the Definite Skull Cracker, and as a result a lot of players think she is the best human character in the game outside of those with super special unique powers. Personally, I think Gen is a smidge better just because he's available in more scenarios (all of them vs. 3). That being said, I'll usually take Liza whenever she's available and she didn't disappoint here.

Roufas: Roufas is another good all-arounder with his only weakness being a poor fighting talent list. Swords, Guns, and Magic should be more than enough to make a decent character though and he starts with a bit of each. In particular, Guns and Mind Magic is a really good combo that can serve you well throughout the entirety of the game. He's also not a bad samurai either.

White Rose: White Rose is the most average of all the Mystics. Locked into the mystic mail, no special skills or magic aside from a few starting light spells, and overall average stats make her pretty boring. A good introduction to mystics but there are better ones. In this playthrough, she does manage some pretty cool stuff that I've never really tried before and is very helpful during the final boss fight.

So with that done, now let's briefly go over some of the aspects of Emelia's scenario that you would consider when deciding whether or not to play it.

Character availability: First of all, I'll go ahead and say that every quest has more than enough monsters to make a full party of them if you so choose, and there are very few differences between them so we won't be covering them here. Seriously, you can grab Slime, Thunder, Cotton, Sei, and Suzaku in every quest (give or take a few and if so you can probably pick up Riki or Kylin for your 5 party monster needs). Overall, the big draw of characters for Emelia is the mystic selection. Aside from Asellus, Emelia can get the most mystics of any of the scenarios. Asellus, White Rose, and Zozma are unique to her and Asellus, and Silence, Mesarthim, and Time Lord are also available as they are in most scenarios. She also has a better selection of humans than Asellus, gaining access to Asellus herself along with the very capable Gradius team and Rouge. She's in contention for having the best set of humans available to any of the scenarios with Red being the only real competitor for that title. Of course, it isn't all good news, Emelia gets absolutely no mechs at all because she "isn't very good with machines." This is a shame because mechs are a bit of a fan favorite in this thread, but Saga Frontier likes to keep mystics and mechs separated for some reason.

Unique areas: This really isn't a strong selling point for Emelia's scenario. She only gets two dungeons unique to her (Trinity base and the final) and both are kind of short compared to most of the other unique areas. She also only get's one (optional) boss that's unique to her outside of the final boss. Overall, I'd say her scenario has probably the 3rd least amount of unique content or so.

Miscellaneous: Only 4 characters can get the Rune gift in Emelia's scenario (the original 3 and Mesarthim who comes with the gift). This is sort of unfortunate, but I can't hold it against Emelia's scenario too much because Rune magic isn't really essential and chances are you're going to be using at least 2 of those characters anyway. The free money from Roufas though is quite nice and can help out a beginner player get on their feet if this is their first scenario. Beginner's also need to be careful about when they save though, as some of the areas can be roadblocks if you go in unprepared. Emelia is also one of two characters with multiple endings and as the Baccarat update showed, the method of determining which you get is rather obtuse. Overall though, Emelia's quest is fairly simple and lighthearted. The execution can be clumsy at times, but it's kind of fun to watch the team go on their Charlies-Angelesque adventures, and it's cool to see Emelia turn into a battle hardened bad rear end by the end.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Go team. :geno:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

This is awesome! Thanks so much for this, added to the OP.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Love that dirtbag Roufas :lol:

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Looks great! I love how you portrayed White Rose with her strange eyes. I assume you're trying to distinguish Mystics from Humans.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
You can always tell a mystic from a human because they are more Animes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Thwack! posted:

Looks great! I love how you portrayed White Rose with her strange eyes. I assume you're trying to distinguish Mystics from Humans.

Yeah, pretty much. She's sort of meant to look about half shoujo manga and half 30 Days of Night (those are sort of spoilers for the storyline she's a major character in).

I have a love-hate relationship with this game. It's so frustrating the way there are so many great locations that could provide tons of interesting content, and yet, there's like, nothing there. The Casino region feels particularly underused since the actual content is in a nondescript cave beneath the parking garage. Who wants to explore the sprawling metropolis from the splash screen when you can go spelunking in a cave, right? :sigh:

One day I'd like to get ahold of the Japanese version and see if the script is just as incoherent as the NA version.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

I have a love-hate relationship with this game. It's so frustrating the way there are so many great locations that could provide tons of interesting content, and yet, there's like, nothing there. The Casino region feels particularly underused since the actual content is in a nondescript cave beneath the parking garage. Who wants to explore the sprawling metropolis from the splash screen when you can go spelunking in a cave, right? :sigh:

The lamest region by far is IRPO: exactly two rooms, one of which only used in a scripted scene

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back this updates going to be a long one so strap in.

It's been a while since we've been here. It's time to do the last of the Gradius jobs before we venture forth into Emelia's final dungeon. Like before we have to got talk to Roufas in the back to get things started.

That's right. Ever since that last incident Yaruto was relieved of duty. Now, a new warden is in command of the base. Joker still hasn't given up. He's in contact with a new commander. Trinity must know where Cube is. Your familiarity with the base makes you the most qualified for this mission.
All right. I'll do it.
That was easy.
It seemed reasonable. I'll try my best.
We're counting on you. In the mean time, the rest of us will prepare for the final attack against Joker. Good luck.

So it looks like we'll be heading back into Trinity base. Fortunately this time it will be in less degrading circumstances.

HQ

Ahh yeahhh. No more silly or pandering (okay maybe a little pandering) outfits this time. This is Emelia's commando outfit and with it she is 100% certified bad rear end (this actually has no effect, but it still looks cool).

This time we're entering from the opposite of the Trinity base and our goal is once again to get to the opposite side with a stop in the commanders office along the way. This little poo poo is guarding the door. I'll be honest I was worried about this fight. Unlike the first time where Emelia at least got White Rose and Asellus, this time Emelia is completely alone. If your Emelia is too weak this fight can be a roadblock for some players and I was worried that I could have ended up against the top tier mech enemy. Fortunately, it was pretty weak and Emelia handled it easily.

So now it's time that we go see the commander. The commando sprite doesn't show it but trust me, we're busting in guns blazing. This is Mondo by the way. As you'll soon see he's quite the chatterbox.

Where?
:clint:Do you know you're interrogating the commander of Trinity Base?
So you're the new commander? Even better, where is Joker?
:clint:He went to get cube.
You sould him the information! Tell me where I'll find him.
:clint:Relax, lady. It will take some time for him to decipher the code. Besides, I know exactly where he's headed...Yorkland.
The Cube is in Yorkland?
:clint:There is an old chapel in the Yorkland mountains. That's where it's supposed to be.
Why are you telling me all this? Is this some kind of trap?
:clint:Well, frankly we feel this Joker character is getting a little too dangerous. We want Gradius to get rid of him.

First, what's Cube?
:clint:I can't answer that. Cube is Trinity's best kept secret.
That's why you want us to get rid of him? Second, who is Joker?
:clint:I bet you know him better than we do, Miss Emelia.
How did you know my name? What do you mean by that?
:clint:One question at a time. Before I was promoted to commander here, I was in charge of information in security. I know a lot about Gradius.
:siren:Warning! Warning! We are losing control of our Cube Power Reactor All personnel must evacuate immediately!
:clint:You heard it. Get your butt out of here.
What about the questions?
Emelia, are you deaf? There is something wrong with the power reactor at Trinity. Evacuate, I repeat, evacuate immediately.
:clint:Is your boss calling you?
This is Emelia. Roger, I'm on my way out.

:clint:Yes, this is the famous angel of Yorkland legend.
Why are you giving me this?
:clint:Long ago, when I was at your age, I also fought for ideals with my buddies. Anyway, me and two of my pals fell in love with this beautiful woman. She was as pure as the first snow of winter. I always planned on giving this to her someday.
Why didn't you?
:clint:Because she married one of my best pals. I respected him. So I decided to conceal my feelings for her forever. But the broach sure brought me luck. After all, I ended up becoming the commander of Trinity Base didn't I?
You sure you want to give me this?
:clint:It'd be better if someone like you wore it. It'll look lovely on you.

God this dialogue is so awkward.
This...I'll take care of it.

There's another explosion before Emelia can find out who she's talking to. The blank textbox is the game's way of showing that he's being drowned out.

Outside we meet up the rest of the team for our daring escape.
Joker's headed for Yorkland. Let's go.
Roufas what was the commander's name?
His name is Mondo. He worked for Yaruto for years. He was practically in charge of Trinity's patrol. I can describe him in 3 words: cold, cruel, efficient. The guy's as sharp as a razor. He gave us a lot of trouble when he ran the patrol. Thank God we don't have to deal with him anymore.
Really.
Sorry you had to get involved in this.
It's my job Annie.
Is that an angel Broach?
You know about this?
Yeah, that's the famous angel of Yorkland legend.

And by daring escape I mean we dodge past all the enemies so the mission takes about 5 minutes in total.

We continue heading to lower levels until we find the exit and we get a piece of concept art with Emelia in her commando outfit. That seems a lot less practical than what we got with her sprite.

And then because I am a master at this game and as such nothing could possibly go wrong I immediately talk to Roufas and decide to go to the final dungeon. And wouldn't you know it! This is also a point of no return! (Get used to that, almost all of the final dungeons are points of no return).
This time we're going in full force!

Never

Surely this won't come back to bit us and result in hours of grinding!

Emelia's final dungeon is quite unusual as far as final dungeons go. It's really not that epic or crazy, just a nice mountain path with lovely views and lots of monsters. That giant enemy on the bridge isn't actually a giant type enemy but rather a human type in disguise by the way.

It really is quite pretty. We're also starting to fight endgame monsters. Granted, weak endgame monsters, but endgame monsters none the less.

Yes Emelia it's very nice. And really the flaura and fauna aren't too bad to look at either. When they're not trying to kill you. Just some lovely pixies, some cute lizards, and....

ACK!!! WHAT THE poo poo IS THAT!?! KILL IT!

After we finish exterminating all of those gross things from the earth we make our way to this chapel. Make sure you're well prepared before you enter because you fight the final boss pretty much immediately. As we will see in the next and last update of Emelia's story, I was not nearly as prepared as I thought I was. I hope you will join me then.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

TurnipFritter posted:

The SaGa series has always been the runt bastard cousin of Final Fantasy so Square never really invested too much effort into it. It's always been a dungeon oriented series with towns and plot left as generic as possible.

Romancing SaGa 1 on SNES seemed to be pushed back a year for FF4 and had the same graphic style but looked and sounded uglier, and the areas were way too sprawled out. It ended up getting a good looking remake on PS2, Minstrel Song. The most fleshed out games were probably Romancing SaGa 2+3 and SaGa Frontier 2. I think this game suffered from having resources drawn towards FF7 and 8 just like Xenogears did.

sturgeon general fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 7, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

dude789 posted:

First, what's Cube?

See, someone probably should have asked this way earlier. Up until this point, it felt like the characters were talking about Cube as if it was common knowledge, to the point that no one bothered explaining what it actually is. I get that it isn't actually important, but something as simple as having Roufas say even though they don't know what it is, Gradias is after Cube because Trinity is after it would have gone a long way to giving this storyline some direction.

dude789 posted:

God this dialogue is so awkward.

It reads like an NES game, both in terms of translation and volume.

erotic dad posted:

The SaGa series has always been the runt bastard cousin of Final Fantasy so Square never really invested too much effort into it. It's always been a dungeon oriented series with towns and plot left as generic as possible.

Romancing SaGa 1 on SNES seemed to be pushed back a year for FF4 and had the same graphic style but looked and sounded uglier, and the areas were way too sprawled out. It ended up getting a good looking remake on PS2, Minstrel Song. The most fleshed out games were probably Romancing SaGa 2+3 and SaGa Frontier 2. I think this game suffered from having resources drawn towards FF7 and 8 just like Xenogears did.

Totally, but I feel like SaGa Frontier is the game with the biggest gap between ambition and execution. Romancing SaGa 1 was a close second - the SFC is such an unfinished piece of crap. RS2 actually feels like a finished game, which is rare in this series, and RS3 is kind of caught between trying to be like a remake of RS1 and have actual character storylines like in Saga Frontier.

(In spite of how it sounds, I legitimately do love this series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Isn't Mondo it's a secret to everyone?

*EDIT* Sorry about that, got ahead of the plot there.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 7, 2013

• Locked thread