Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
After Shuzer launches his claws, he gains the ability to use vulcan and flamethrower attacks. One of his flamethrower attacks gave us the shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does Shuzer have two brains or did he willingly get a brain transplant? That is dedication.

The second brain controls the ClawBits. He's no NewType.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I think it sort of falls into the range of "They made the Hakaider reference without really thinking about it too much." because the only explanations beyond that which make any sort of sense are: He'd have to have willingly had his own brain transplanted out for Okonogi's brain despite his own working fairly well, Alkarl kicked his rear end so hard during that intro sequence that he needed a brain transplant, he's got the doc's brain in a compartment in his stomach or some other such location since his head is still normal sized, or Shuzer was in fact actually a robot this entire time despite clearly having a cyborg thing going on and the fleshy bits are just for show.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Or he was just being a massive dick and tried to screw with Red's mind.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

FeyerbrandX posted:

Or he was just being a massive dick and tried to screw with Red's mind.

I always thought he was just being a colossal dick too. gently caress that guy. :colbert:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Maybe he just had it in a jar, right next to Anne Uumelmahaye.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back!

Today we'll be starting the grail quest in Yorkland. Mainly because I'm worried about having to fight Krakens while the team is drunk.

I think Red has unique grail quest dialogue, but it's fairly simple. He might share it with Emelia maybe?

Fortunately, we're not quite to Krakens yet. The status effects in this fight are pretty tame too. Rouge blows them away.

We make it through the rest of the dungeon without too much trouble. We keep getting poison and Fury for the status effects which are pretty non-threatening.

Fury by the way is kinda like Berserk. You can only use basic attacks and sometimes you miss a turn.

Next on the list is Baccarat for the gold card.

We let Emelia join because I'm pretty sure if Red picked the second option, Liza would kick Red's scrotum so hard it would come flying out his esophagus.

We get the card and head on out. Fortunately we manage to dodge most of the enemies which is good because even the encounters without an enounter rank modifier are getting pretty dangerous.

Next we go to Scrap to get Gen and with that we have a full team. This is rarely an issue in Saga Frontier, but now we can't recruit anybody else. This is one reason why Slime is so disliked because he's terrible and there's no way to prevent him from joining once you're in Tanzer.

:mad:

Wakatu is pretty uneventful. We skip most of the treasures because they're worse than what we have.

And here we are already in the saber chamber.

I was going to post this image once for each time I had to fight these guys, but I only ended up having to fight them once.

There we go. It's hard to see because it's sideways but 3/4 of the way there now.

The skeleton calls the boat and away we go.

Finally we head off to IRPO to get the Shield card.

I believe as Red you can actually recruit Fuse in Manhattan in the burger shop in which case he'll just give you the card, but there's something in the mountain I want.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I went to get him in Manhattan since we don't have the space for him.

Anyway, the dragons are guarding some really nice treasures.

The effect seen here is from the skill Magnify, the mech answer to Tower or the DSC. For 15 WP it completely uses up a laser's ammo to do huge amounts of damage. It can be any laser and the damage is mostly independent from the laser used. Using it with a hyper blaster will do more damage than most other types of laser weapons, but the difference is pretty small.

Even with the black dragon's huge defenses it manages to do lots of damage. Rabbit is pretty much the perfect user of the skill because he has lots of WP and comes with a laser locked into one of his equip slots.

Of course Liza is not going to let herself be one upped that easily.

Doll's still stuck with a mid game sword tech, but she'll get something better eventually. It's just enough to kill steal the dragon though.

This is what I wanted, I needed to get one of these at some point for a skill Rabbit will pick up in the next couple updates. The Lordstar is weaker than the Zero Sword but gives better stat boosts so we give it to Rabbit since he can't learn Plural Slash.

With that done we go up the mountain and fight Suzaku.

I always forget that you can DSC fliying monsters. They're immune to Sliding so I keep thinking it should miss but it doesn't.

At this point the team's damage is pretty disgusting. If Liza gets lucky and gets a 5 hit DSC, her and Rabbit alone can do around 25,000. The rest of the team can't produce quite that much, but there damage is going to steadily increase as they get more stats/stronger sword skills.

With that we complete the arcane quest!

The team is pretty much endgame ready now, but there's still a couple more plot dungeons to do before then. So look forward to the team getting even stronger!

Also, it looks like Kyo edged Shingrow in a 4-3 vote so we'll be going to Kyo in the next update, followed by Shingrow, in the one after that, and then finishing up with Manhattan.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

If someone tries to join your party when it's full, the game still goes through the motions of having them walk into you. They just won't be on the list afterwards.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
Can't you permanently remove someone from your roster by letting them get LP-killed?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That just incapacitates them until you stay at an inn.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Pretty much the only person that you can get out of your team is Rouge, by trying to go to the Magic Kingdom.

Technically there's also the Grand Ultimate Dick Move from Riki's chapter that removes Mei-Ling, but it's kind of hard to go recruit anyone at that point.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How number-wise effective are techs/spells that increase stats based on the number of stat ups that appear over a character?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Scalding Coffee posted:

How number-wise effective are techs/spells that increase stats based on the number of stat ups that appear over a character?

You'd think that would be something discussed in the Data/Mechanics guide, but no dice. The only one I can find the direct effect of is Light Sword, and that's only because it lists the boosts for the Light Sword weapon (the spell simply equips you with said sword). Anyway, Light Sword gives +10 to all stats except HP. As for the others, it's a bit harder to guess on, because of how some stat-boosting spells and abilities list the boost multiple times (for instance, notice that PsychoArmor will say VIT UP and PSY UP like 2 or 3 times each). I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say it's like +7 or +10 for each individual line. +10 would make more sense, but +7 sounds more reasonable to keep such spells from being super broken.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 23, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to this run to endgame.

Though wow, you've got yourself a pretty big team. Can you assemble a fully MEC squad to fight alongside Red, or has somebody in it got to die first?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

Looking forward to this run to endgame.

Though wow, you've got yourself a pretty big team. Can you assemble a fully MEC squad to fight alongside Red, or has somebody in it got to die first?

You can totally henshin it up at-will with a bunch of Mechs in your party. This isn't always the best idea, though, as Alkaiser doesn't get stat boosts and can only spark his own exclusive skills. Using that form too much is a huge crutch and you'll definitely have a chance later on to use it to its fullest potential, as long as you take the time to build Red up normally.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you done with the mid-season upgrade?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

dude789 posted:

The skeleton calls the boat and away we go.

I love SaGa Frontier and I love this thread. I wish I knew half of this stuff back when I first played it, never got far in any of the stories.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Welcome back! Our next stop on the bath to justice takes us to Kyo.

It can be pretty easy to forget where to go in Kyo if you did a lot of sidequests and just stopped here to pick up Rabbit. Fortunately, Kyo is pretty small and this area is especially suspicious since no one else can do anything here.

But for Red, Rabbit is able to discover a secret passage.

If the drug peddling monk didn't tip you off, this area is the heart of Black X's drug empire. To really hammer the point home they leave a bunch of money around and fill the area with green fighters.

There's a fair amount of mecs wandering around too in addition to the cash. This a great stop if you feel your mecs have been lagging and need a boost.

And here's where those drugs came from I suppose. Although it seems like a bad idea to let a bunch of insect monsters wander around here.

The plant monsters are a bit more understandable.

There's also some powerful restoratives lying around. We got a MagiWater as well.

This is the final area in the dungeon. Overall, it's pretty short. If you skip all the side paths it's only about 3 or 4 rooms.

This is obsolete at this point, but it's not out of the way or anything.

All that's left is to fight the Green Fighter at the top of the vat of liquid.

Red decides that the best way to handle drug dealers is with explosions.

With that we have an escape sequence! There's no timer or anything and the dungeon is short enough that I've never gone over a timer but I wouldn't be surprised if taking too long here resulted in a game over.

We even have enough time to pick up this treasure I missed earlier. It's nothing special.

And here's the exit! Whatever time bomb Red used must have been set very generously.

Of course to make things more dramatic the lab explodes immediately after we leave and thrusts us into a battle.

It's the mec from earlier!

I decide to give him a bit of a fighting chance and hold off on the really strong stuff for now. I'm still gonna set up buffs though.

We do a ton of damage even when we're holding back though.

I don't know why but Lifewave is really underwhelming for an advanced spell. This damage is with Shadow Servant up too.

For whatever reason the game won't let me use Rabbit's Satellite Laser. There's something that influences how long the bit/laser stays active. It might just be random, but it wore off immediately here. So we make do by having our martial artist waitress suplex the combat robot.

Moonscraper here is Mblack's signature attack.

If we had a couple hundred less health and worse armor, this attack would be really scary. For our team though it's not to bad.

After we see Moonscraper I decide to just blow Mblack away with Magnify.

At least he gives us a nice parting gift. Rabbit doesn't make nearly as good a use of Tiger Rampage as Zeke or EngineerCar because he can't learn Combat Mastery, but it'll be a nice backup if I run out of lasers to Magnify.

For beating Mblack we get to see Red's official art again. Next time we'll go to Shingrow and see what BlackX is meddling with there.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
You completely forgot to link the battle music for MBlack. I highly recommend that EVERYONE listen to that poo poo. It's pretty much my favorite video game battle theme ever, which is really saying something.

And yeah, Moonscraper is freakin' brutal. MBlack was a big wall for me the first time I played Red's quest.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It always struck me as a little odd that he got such a kickass theme, honestly. MBlack's something of an enigma in context: Compared to Shuzer, who was most definitely personal, MBlack's essentially the "punch-clock" of the enemy commanders in that he's basically just doing his job and that's all. Even knowing that Red was looking around for Black X before, he had no problems with just chatting him up and giving him a few minor tidbits of information before letting him walk away, even though there was an obvious risk that he'd come back looking to start something or, y'know, blow the whole drat base up. Even then, he just sort of regards the party with a cordial challenge and gets to it. I get the feeling like there was supposed to be some other interaction with him before this point to flesh him out a little or maybe show why Rabbit was here to begin with, but it got cut at some point.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

"the bath to justice" Is there something Red's not telling us?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Raitzeno posted:

"the bath to justice" Is there something Red's not telling us?

Evil stinks. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
MBlack looks like an anemic skeleton samurai for some reason. Would have made more sense as a Wakatu encounter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Seeing Moonscraper play out makes me wonder - does anything about the structure of your ally formation actually matter in this game? If not it makes sense for various boss battles to just line you up however they want to in order to show off their animations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Seeing Moonscraper play out makes me wonder - does anything about the structure of your ally formation actually matter in this game? If not it makes sense for various boss battles to just line you up however they want to in order to show off their animations.

It matters, yes. Smaller AOEs hit smaller groups and it's possible to avoid splash damage with good placement on those. Moonscraper, not so much. That just hits everyone.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

It always struck me as a little odd that he got such a kickass theme, honestly. MBlack's something of an enigma in context: Compared to Shuzer, who was most definitely personal, MBlack's essentially the "punch-clock" of the enemy commanders in that he's basically just doing his job and that's all. Even knowing that Red was looking around for Black X before, he had no problems with just chatting him up and giving him a few minor tidbits of information before letting him walk away, even though there was an obvious risk that he'd come back looking to start something or, y'know, blow the whole drat base up. Even then, he just sort of regards the party with a cordial challenge and gets to it. I get the feeling like there was supposed to be some other interaction with him before this point to flesh him out a little or maybe show why Rabbit was here to begin with, but it got cut at some point.

While it definitely needs fleshing out, Mblack is the 'honorable rival who happens to be villainous' archetype. Shuzer is the villain who makes it personal, Mblack is the villain for whom its not personal and wishes you could have met under better circumstances. It's reflected in his refight mechanics, of which I won't get into because people need to seem them as they happen.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
People don't know that part about MBlack, dude.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Hope everything's alright.

I think Riki's hatred has reincorporated into Rikimus or something from beyond the grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Just wanted to say you're missed, Dude789

Love,

Guy cleaning up old bookmarks and realized this thread existed still.

• Locked thread